Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Post your Centurion Ironman.. For the love of 80s paint jobs!

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-19, 07:50 AM
texaspandj

Bikes: '85, '86 , '87 , '88 , '89 Centurion Dave Scott Ironman.

Mentioned: 99 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 583 Times in 380 Posts
So I had three bikes that needed my attention last evening and here's how it went. I generally tackle the one with most work needed. But I'll go in reverse order here.
The '88 Carbon just needed the correct size front derailleur braze on attachment installed. Eazy peazy...it wasnt. I usually get itvright the first time. I eventually resorted to leaving it justvtight enough stay but movable for adjustment. Then I forgot i tightened it and moved it a tiny bit. So I was worried I bent it. So I compared it to my other 7700 front derailleur and that's when I realized the Carbons front derailleur is actually a 7410, which is good cause that matches the rest of duty ace group. Eventually I started from scratch and got it right.
Next was re-installing 7 speed gripshift on my Miami Vice and that was Easy Peasy.
Then finally the purple trek (which was actually first). I took everything off and installed the deore LX rear derailleur, 600 tricolor front derailleur with missing sticker, white saddle, white cages, and flipped stem then flipped back as it had zero affect/didnt lower. That left the white cable housing. It is very difficult scratch that, it is insanely difficult to run cable housing thru. I'm using ummhum repuposed Miami Vice cable housing. Which I'm struggling with so I left it for the next day. Does cake housing come in different diameters??
If and when I get white cable housing thru I'll still need white bar wrap, chain, and a Yuge, mega cassette because you know...
Later Irongents, it's off for a ride.
Old 03-17-19, 11:42 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
OK, I'll play:

1-I swapped out the Ritchey 1" threadless carbon/alloy fork on my NotYourDaddy's Ironman for a Look version, full carbon. Went OK, bike is a bit lighter, and the much more subtle Look fork goes better with the very subdued scheme on that bike. Also swapped in 3T carbon wheels for the same reason. Bike is now knocking at the basement door of 18 lbs.

2-The Ritchey fork is black carbon/white lettering, as is my Carbon-R, so that swap was attempted. First up, change of headset from 6500 to Ritchey Logic threadless. Lower cup on the Ritchey is a dull aluminum, anodized. Stripped the ano and polished same. Then I couldn't find the crown race, but a spare Tange fit perfect. Installed the headset. -Installed the fork, shimmed up from 1" to 1.125" on the steerer. To matched the polished aluminum lugs, I used a Velo Orange "stack stem" in silver. Looks decent, but is a bit high. Better fit, but the bolt from the stem cap is too short, and I'll have to go find a bolt. -The stem uses a 31.8 bar, so I used a set of Velo Orange shims to continue the use of the Nitto B115 (Olympiade) bar, for now. I like it, it fits, but I may go with a Toseak carbon bar from the land of Mao's kids. The aggregate weight loss will be about .4 lbs, dropping the Carbon-R to about 17.2 - 17.3 with pedals, cage(s), Garmin and taillight. -Finalized it a bit with a return of the Bontrager RXL/TLR wheels. Gives me black-with-white-lettering on the frame, fork, and wheelset. So tidy.

3-I have upcoming Ironman and Prestige "events" inbound. The Ironman may well get the 6800 group in lieu of the Prestige, as the colors tend to match. -I'll figure out the Prestige, and may just reverse conventional blasphemy and run it Campy.

4-Certainly not last, I have a line on some Superbe Pro calipers for the Comp TA, which is inching towards a complete group, but not likely as the hubs are expensive and brake levers even more so. This continues to be an elegant, light, and nimble bike. It basically rides like a steel version of my Teledyne Titan.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-17-19 at 11:51 AM.
Old 03-17-19, 12:17 PM
texaspandj

Nice assessment RT, I'll be on the lookout for some superbee for you.
Who's next?
BTW I need a dura ace 7700 rear derailleur in case someone has one. Aesthetics not a priority however function and price are.😉
Old 03-17-19, 03:16 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts
I , like a complete idiot I traded my Nishiki for a rusty POS Bianchi . I'm in deep on this thing , so no turning back . Things are looking up sort of on this project , I did find a good match for the Celest paint . I have decided to respray the whole frame rather than a touch up . I'm pretty stoked about the wheel set that I'm gathering parts for , amore .
2 Massing parts for a new wheel set for the track bike .
3 The wheel set for the Bianchi might wind up on the IM or the Comp TA , which ever one doesn't get the Italian wheel set will get the DA treatment .

Last edited by markwesti; 03-22-19 at 07:25 PM.
Old 03-17-19, 07:20 PM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
Since today is my birthday, I didn't do anything bike related. Instead, it was the usual weekend spent at the Shamrock Half/Full Marathon in Va Beach. I always have the remnants of a cold by the time this weekend gets here. That means no marathon or going for PRs. Just slow and easy enjoying the day. We always do the Dolphin Challenge which is the 8K on Saturday and the 1/2 on Sunday. The weather was perfect. Beachfront hotel overlooking the Boardwalk. Great afterparty in a huge tent on the beach. Irish Stew and Yuengling beer. What's not to like? I'm guessing Robbie spent some time at Fort Story training during his time there. Anyway, I am rolling through there close to the Lighthouse when I see a runner giving a MP some lip. Next thing you know he is on the ground getting himself cuffed! I don't know what kind of fool causes trouble on a military base/installation.

https://www.shamrockmarathon.com/rac...half-marathon/

Last edited by seypat; 03-17-19 at 07:33 PM.
Old 03-17-19, 07:53 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by seypat
Since today is my birthday, I didn't do anything bike related. Instead, it was the usual weekend spent at the Shamrock Half/Full Marathon in Va Beach. I always have the remnants of a cold by the time this weekend gets here. That means no marathon or going for PRs. Just slow and easy enjoying the day. We always do the Dolphin Challenge which is the 8K on Saturday and the 1/2 on Sunday. The weather was perfect. Beachfront hotel overlooking the Boardwalk. Great afterparty in a huge tent on the beach. Irish Stew and Yuengling beer. What's not to like? I'm guessing Robbie spent some time at Fort Story training during his time there. Anyway, I am rolling through there close to the Lighthouse when I see a runner giving a MP some lip. Next thing you know he is on the ground getting himself cuffed! I don't know what kind of fool causes trouble on a military base/installation.

https://www.shamrockmarathon.com/rac...half-marathon/
Fort Story is one lonely place to run, too.

I've DNF'ed at Shamrock. And podiumed, with Dave Scott in attendance.
After the DNF one year at Shamrock, I vowed: never DNF again.

Richmond put that to the test, where a race marshall said "I've never seen anyone suffer like that and keep running."

One reason I now ride a bike.
Old 03-17-19, 08:22 PM
texaspandj

@seypat no bike stuff but you got us beat with that day. Happy Birthday!
Old 03-17-19, 08:46 PM
seypat

The USATF Masters 8K Championships were there as well. There were some impressive times. The 60 + runners can still go. There were some 70-90+ turning in some good times for their ages. Heck, some of them were running good times regardless of ages.
Old 03-17-19, 11:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

The USATF Masters 8K Championships were there as well. There were some impressive times. The 60 + runners can still go. There were some 70-90+ turning in some good times for their ages. Heck, some of them were running good times regardless of ages.
One of my ASICS teammates ran 16:38 5K at age 60. That's gettin' down the road. After 30 years off, at 58, I ran 19:02 and thought i was gonna die. I still have the stride, but no lungs to go with it.

8K has always been a great distance, very hard to run. You can't go out like a 5k and hang on, and you can't relax like a 10K or you'll get dusted.

Greta Weitz used to run the 8K at Shamrock because she liked the event (and the money). I walked up to her at Shamrock and said "hey, girl!" She said "oh, … you...." and walked away. No sense of humor.

We had some history from the NYC marathon, during the race. I was getting paid per minute of face time on TV, so I ran near her, knowing I couldn't keep up with the 3-lung African Continent crowd. She was a camera favorite, and I was always "there." Her posse tried to run me off, but I was thicker than they were, and once they realized I was not a threat, they left me alone. I made $1200 for being on the screen for 63 seconds. She's very skinny.
Likes For RobbieTunes:
Old 03-18-19, 04:36 AM
seypat

Originally Posted by RobbieTunes
One of my ASICS teammates ran 16:38 5K at age 60. That's gettin' down the road. After 30 years off, at 58, I ran 19:02 and thought i was gonna die. I still have the stride, but no lungs to go with it.

8K has always been a great distance, very hard to run. You can't go out like a 5k and hang on, and you can't relax like a 10K or you'll get dusted.

Greta Weitz used to run the 8K at Shamrock because she liked the event (and the money). I walked up to her at Shamrock and said "hey, girl!" She said "oh, … you...." and walked away. No sense of humor.

We had some history from the NYC marathon, during the race. I was getting paid per minute of face time on TV, so I ran near her, knowing I couldn't keep up with the 3-lung African Continent crowd. She was a camera favorite, and I was always "there." Her posse tried to run me off, but I was thicker than they were, and once they realized I was not a threat, they left me alone. I made $1200 for being on the screen for 63 seconds. She's very skinny.
That's another great story.
19:02 on a whim with no training. You're killing me.
There was a lady in her 80s, 88 I think, rolled through at 1:04. I hope I'm still going at that age. The Masters started in the 2nd wave behind the wheelchairs. When I passed that lady, she still had the eye of the tiger. She was in the zone.
Old 03-18-19, 06:05 AM
texaspandj

Yep, 1902 at any age is moving. But no training?
Old 03-18-19, 06:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Originally Posted by texaspandj
Yep, 1902 at any age is moving. But no training?
My yearly run mileage in the last 30 years has been less than 10 miles per year. When I was serious, I easily ran 3,000 miles/year, all of it sub-6:00, probably half of that sub 5:30. Technique really helps, being efficient and also getting your mind to stop thinking.

2 years ago, I decided to try Couch25K on a phone. After 3 days, I told myself: "Screw this, I can suffer anything for about 20 minutes." My "training runs" for this were to run 1.5 miles to a bridge, as fast as I could, and then walk back instead of jumping off. I did this probably 3 times, then decided just to diet a bit and get 2 good nights of sleep prior to the 5K. I was riding pretty well, and that probably kept things survivable. I was walking about an hour a day at lunch then, so that helped.

That 5K was probably more painful, short-term, than any marathon I've ever run. I probably went into anxiety mode about 5 minutes in, struggled to the turnaround, and then just figured I could make it back in 10 minutes and then die. By the way, my buddy who was 55 ran a 17:40 and my other friend who was 58 ran a 17:42. I was the lone drone, and had to buy the beer.

For me, a 6-minute/mile stride is a lot like riding a bike; your body knows how but just can't sustain it without oxygen and glycogen. I can't remember ever having a training run with a pace slower than 6-minutes/mile, and my body just settles in there (until it needs fuel and air).

A person can probably run "out of body" once or twice a year, but I'd not recommend it. It just about killed Salazar, and I've been beat in an 8K by 1 second (25:04) and watched them load him into an ambulance.

Genetics + training work well. If you don't train, make it a short race and hope genetics let you live.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-18-19 at 06:47 AM.
Old 03-18-19, 07:07 AM
seypat

My yearly run mileage in the last 30 years has been less than 10 miles per year. When I was serious, I easily ran 3,000 miles/year, all of it sub-6:00, probably half of that sub 5:30. Technique really helps, being efficient and also getting your mind to stop thinking.

2 years ago, I decided to try Couch25K on a phone. After 3 days, I told myself: "Screw this, I can suffer anything for about 20 minutes." My "training runs" for this were to run 1.5 miles to a bridge, as fast as I could, and then walk back instead of jumping off. I did this probably 3 times, then decided just to diet a bit and get 2 good nights of sleep prior to the 5K. I was riding pretty well, and that probably kept things survivable. I was walking about an hour a day at lunch then, so that helped.

That 5K was probably more painful, short-term, than any marathon I've ever run. I probably went into anxiety mode about 5 minutes in, struggled to the turnaround, and then just figured I could make it back in 10 minutes and then die. By the way, my buddy who was 55 ran a 17:40 and my other friend who was 58 ran a 17:42. I was the lone drone, and had to buy the beer.

For me, a 6-minute/mile stride is a lot like riding a bike; your body knows how but just can't sustain it without oxygen and glycogen. I can't remember ever having a training run with a pace slower than 6-minutes/mile, and my body just settles in there (until it needs fuel and air).

A person can probably run "out of body" once or twice a year, but I'd not recommend it. It just about killed Salazar, and I've been beat in an 8K by 1 second (25:04) and watched them load him into an ambulance.

Genetics + training work well. If you don't train, make it a short race and hope genetics let you live.
Good training without good genetics just means you'll be going slow. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you can make peace with it, you don't beat yourself up over a bad or average time.
Old 03-18-19, 08:17 AM
texaspandj

Good training without good genetics just means you'll be going slow. That's not necessarily a bad thing. If you can make peace with it, you don't beat yourself up over a bad or average time.
My thought process is always to get a 100% out of my whatever fitness condition I'm in. For example, 100% out of my 75% fitness or 100% out of my 50% condition, etc.. And although at times I'm dissatisfied with my time, as long as I give it a 100%, the disappointment doesnt last forever, but knowing I didn't give a 100% seems to last a lifetime.

Last edited by texaspandj; 03-18-19 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 05:24 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

My thought process is always to get a 100% out of my whatever fitness condition I'm in. For example, 100% out of my 75% fitness or 100% out of my 50% condition, etc.. And although at times I'm dissatisfied with my time, as long as I give it a 100%, the disappointment doesnt last forever, but knowing I didn't give a 100% seems to last a lifetime.
Ah, but to know where that 100% line is, and whether your ability to suffer makes you good or just dead. My first competitive year, I was out-raced by many slower people. Then I learned to get outside the suffering, and found the same craving that Pre had: go hard, go hard, go hard.

1986 found me working 4x10 shifts Mon-Thur, going to class those same nights, carrying an 18-hour class load, and running for my shoes. Training suffered, and a 4:28 1st mile in a small forest 5K put me in a bad place. I struggled mightily to just make it to the finish, walking/running to finish in around 18:00. In the ER, after 2 rounds of nitro, they wanted to admit. I walked out and let someone else drive home. A disastrous 10-miler a week later (51:07) and the shoe company dropped me like a hot potato after finding out about the ER thing. The ability to suffer is not always good for you. That's when I took 2 weeks off, and decided to run marathons instead. I dabbled with longer distances, but an 80-miler pretty much cured me of that. It took 2 years to get health coverage, even via an employer. I actually had to go back to that small rural clinic, and go through all the paper medical records in an old dusty storage building, find them, present them, then get stress tested, the whole Monty.

So here I am, eh, riding a bike instead. It happens.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 03-18-19 at 05:30 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 06:14 PM
seypat

Ah, but to know where that 100% line is, and whether your ability to suffer makes you good or just dead. My first competitive year, I was out-raced by many slower people. Then I learned to get outside the suffering, and found the same craving that Pre had: go hard, go hard, go hard.

1986 found me working 4x10 shifts Mon-Thur, going to class those same nights, carrying an 18-hour class load, and running for my shoes. Training suffered, and a 4:28 1st mile in a small forest 5K put me in a bad place. I struggled mightily to just make it to the finish, walking/running to finish in around 18:00. In the ER, after 2 rounds of nitro, they wanted to admit. I walked out and let someone else drive home. A disastrous 10-miler a week later (51:07) and the shoe company dropped me like a hot potato after finding out about the ER thing. The ability to suffer is not always good for you. That's when I took 2 weeks off, and decided to run marathons instead. I dabbled with longer distances, but an 80-miler pretty much cured me of that. It took 2 years to get health coverage, even via an employer. I actually had to go back to that small rural clinic, and go through all the paper medical records in an old dusty storage building, find them, present them, then get stress tested, the whole Monty.

So here I am, eh, riding a bike instead. It happens.
Live to run another race, or take another ride. That's what's important. And chatting up the ladies. I forgot about that. You have to stop and smell the roses on occasion.
Old 03-18-19, 06:53 PM
texaspandj

RT, I said 100% not a 110%!
Old 03-18-19, 07:05 PM
rccardr 
aka: Dr. Cannondale

Mentioned: 234 Post(s)
Quoted: 2155 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 1,204 Posts
Ah, but to know where that 100% line is, and whether your ability to suffer makes you good or just dead. The ability to suffer is not always good for you.
Hunh. And I ride with you?
Old 03-18-19, 07:54 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts

Just picked up my first Ironman. Well, most of one.
Old 03-18-19, 08:15 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,568 Times in 1,579 Posts
So what's the biggest 7 speed cassette the shimano deore LX can handle?
I'm thinking of putting a 11-36 or bigger. Bahaha
A little late to respond, but I've tried out a 13-34 K cassette with a Deore LX on the stand. Worked fine!
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 03-18-19, 08:18 PM
fleslider 

Bikes: 1974 Paramount ~ 1974 Raleigh Pro ~ 1977 Pro-Tour ~ 1978 TX900 ~ IronMan 85,87:E/M,88:M/Pro,89:E ~ 98 Peugeot Festina Replica

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 477 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by cb400bill

nice score a 89 Expert, whats the plans for it ?
Old 03-18-19, 08:18 PM
markwesti

Bikes: 86' Centurion Ironman

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 628 Post(s)
Liked 316 Times in 175 Posts

just picked up my first ironman. Well, most of one.

Score ! N+1 I like that black headset . Black , black , black .

Last edited by markwesti; 03-18-19 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-18-19, 08:20 PM
texaspandj

Cool, congratulations.
What's your plan, stock or resto modern?
Old 03-18-19, 08:24 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

For the time being I’m going to use some parts from my secret warehouse. I did have to order a replacement RD.

Old 03-18-19, 08:30 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Needed a saddle.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.