Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Hoods covers or not

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Hoods covers or not

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-21, 01:45 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Hoods covers or not

Hi all
I got 2 bikes for restoration for myself. Both has break levers without hood covers, One is Shimano Torney (blue dot) and one is MAFAC.
So my question is - Are coveres used for bikes in 1978-1979 ? Both on pictures in catalogs are without hoods.
Old 02-15-21, 02:37 AM
hsuBM
jj

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 78 Posts
Hi. If you’re fully restoring to showroom like condition, then I think you answered yourself.
Originally Posted by Spellscape
Both on pictures in catalogs are without hoods.
But if you want both or at least one to be more comfortable yet still period-correct, rest assured, hoods were available back then.
Old 02-15-21, 04:04 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,749 Times in 937 Posts
Are coveres used for bikes in 1978-1979 ?
Yes and, usually, your need can be easily met through Ebay or Velo Orange(I have no experience with VO).
Old 02-15-21, 06:26 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,127 Times in 427 Posts
It can look ok either way, I didn’t want to spend crazy money on Modolo hoods.

Old 02-15-21, 06:35 PM
Narhay

Mentioned: 124 Post(s)
Quoted: 956 Post(s)
Liked 568 Times in 314 Posts
Originally Posted by sloar
It can look ok either way, I didn’t want to spend crazy money on Modolo hoods.

My modolo speedy levers fit into dia compe 204 hoods like gloves.

https://velo-orange.com/products/dia...4-brake-levers
Old 02-15-21, 08:11 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3870 Post(s)
Liked 6,461 Times in 3,194 Posts
I try to put Rustines on everything down here in the hood.
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 02-15-21, 08:28 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1635 Post(s)
Liked 824 Times in 533 Posts
At first, I did not like that Rustines molded their name on the hoods they sell, so I kind of ignored them for my builds, but I realized in the end that it is really great that a company like Rustines would supply the C&V community with replacement "pattern" hoods when nobody for years had even bothered to do so.
Thank you Rustines!
Likes For Chombi1:
Old 02-15-21, 08:43 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Rustiness Campagnolo form factor are pretty good, so are Soma Fab

yes, not concours, but there are no concours anymore

I really want the Rustines half hoods in Red for my Mafac levers... I found them but Not Cheap
59 euros
that will be 20% of what I have so far into the bike... perspective
Old 02-16-21, 02:48 AM
Spellscape

Bikes: Union Sakai

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 59 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 42 Posts
Are covers matter for Eroica compliance?
Old 02-16-21, 10:05 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 872 Post(s)
Liked 2,272 Times in 1,274 Posts
If I have hoods that fit I put them on . I think it gives a more finished look. That being said, I have a few bikes without hoods and it really doesn't bother me. I like the Universal Levers evan though it is said that they can crack at the base. I don't have covers for those but on one I wrapped a bit of cotton tape around the base.
Likes For Kabuki12:
Old 02-17-21, 02:45 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
If I have hoods that fit I put them on . I think it gives a more finished look. That being said, I have a few bikes without hoods and it really doesn't bother me. I like the Universal Levers evan though it is said that they can crack at the base. I don't have covers for those but on one I wrapped a bit of cotton tape around the base.
I am a Universal fan also, but mostly because they are what was originally fitted to the bike in question. The levers are of poor design considering all of us idiots who seem to think it a good idea to turn a bike upside down to work on it - doing so stresses the brake adjustment barrels on the tops of the lever base bodies...

The base will also crack in other places as well, even with proper use. Not only are the lever assemblies fragile but so too are the calipers. Attempting to toe-in a Universal by bending the caliper arms can and frequently does end in failure of the metal. Do not attempt to bend Universal caliper arms. I file an aluminum washer (made from a caliper mounting concave washer) in the form of a wedge, which when rotated can help to toe-in a caliper or even extend reach slightly (I do have a picture but cannot find it - sorry)...

As for finished look, hoods count. As for riding comfort, hoods count. As for Erocia, hoods are not an issue (I hope), As for a bit of tape over the bodies, I have done that but the results fall short of the mark, for me. I doubt that I will do it anymore...
Old 02-17-21, 02:59 AM
mech986 

Bikes: Italvega Super Speciales and Superlights

Quoted: 355 Post(s)
Liked 345 Times in 174 Posts
There are no requirements for brake lever hoods, your choice to use them or not. Eroica California allows aero and vintage exposed brake cable routing. (But see the specific country event rules just in case).

That said, I prefer gum rubber hoods for comfort when riding on the housings and changing hand positions. Also, I like the finished look of hoods but I’m used to Campagnolo brake appearance. For weight weenies, you save a tiny bit by leaving them off.
Old 02-17-21, 03:39 AM
Kabuki12

Randyjawa, first of all- Nice Torpado! I have a similar treatment to my ItalVega with a wrap around the base. Even though I changed the brakes to Campagnolo NR , I kept the Universal levers . I polished the levers and left the bases grey looking. I have a two toned cotton tape scheme that changes from blue to black at the brake levers. My Colnago came with Campagnolo levers and Modolo gum hoods that fit very well and look finished. I am in the drops most of the time so I rarely have my hands on the lever bases but when I do , it is nice to have that cushion of a brake hood. Joe
Old 02-17-21, 03:59 AM
randyjawa 

Originally Posted by Kabuki12
Randyjawa, first of all- Nice Torpado! I have a similar treatment to my ItalVega with a wrap around the base. Even though I changed the brakes to Campagnolo NR , I kept the Universal levers . I polished the levers and left the bases grey looking. I have a two toned cotton tape scheme that changes from blue to black at the brake levers. My Colnago came with Campagnolo levers and Modolo gum hoods that fit very well and look finished. I am in the drops most of the time so I rarely have my hands on the lever bases but when I do , it is nice to have that cushion of a brake hood. Joe
Thank you for the compliment. Not sure why, but old Torpado road bikes seem to have an affinity for me. Several have come my way, over the years. In fact, I am just finishing restoration right now (fender line will be set when my 700c x 28 gumwall tires arrive...

One other thing I that I forgot to mention was grime. A bit of sweat, coupled with bare aluminum, and one's hands can become dirty, thanks to the alloy. That dirt or rubb-off rapidly transfers to handlebar tape, depending on color and material used. Just one more reason to use hoods...
Old 02-17-21, 05:24 AM
Kabuki12

YUP!!! that does look more finished. I have seen the Universal hoods on the bay but a little pricey. I only paid one Benjamin for the bike so I was going cheap. I love the bike so much , it might be time to spring for some hoods. Even though it is my "patina" bike , it rides like a new bike. I spent a year bringing it back to life , so the cost of nice hoods is justified.

1972 ItalVega Grand Rally-as found

Look Ma , No hoods!
Old 02-17-21, 07:34 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,214 Times in 1,103 Posts
Of all the brake levers assemblies, the Universal's look and feel really lousy without hoods. Sometimes I think the hoods keep the base from falling apart or cracking further! it is the sharp angles and slab sides that makes them so ugly without hoods. The advantage is that the hood material is really thick on the top of the base giving a very cushy feel.
Bought a couple of extra hoods from a source in Italy that used the original tooling, oh 6 years ago!
P1030183 on Flickr

Last edited by SJX426; 02-17-21 at 07:40 AM.