Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saddle recommendations not named Brooks...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saddle recommendations not named Brooks...

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-21, 03:01 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Not a popular choice but I’m running a WTB Pure V. Logic was simple, if it is comfortable on a hardtail, how bad can it be on the road?

YMMV.

John
Old 07-09-21, 03:24 PM
tricky 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 298 Posts
Gotcha, no leather saddles. Saddles are definitely very specific to the person. I love the Specialized Phenom but it’s not super cushy. It’s also something like $120 for a new entry level one so it’s not far off of a SA. I got lucky and found one for cheap at the Seattle Bike Swap. Maybe try a WTB Speed V? They are cushier and there are lots of them out there for a good price.
Old 07-12-21, 12:01 PM
MassCommuter

Bikes: 1984/85 Schwinn Voyageur SP; 1992 Trek 970; 1993 Burley Rock n' Roll tandem; 2007 Cannondale F5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Older Avocets are very comfortable and readily available. I prefer them to Brooks for long distance rides.
Old 07-12-21, 12:12 PM
AlanO

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 23 Posts
No. When I find a saddle that fits me I buy more than one and keep them forever. I have 40 year old saddles.
Old 07-12-21, 12:26 PM
Phil_gretz
Zip tie Karen

Bikes: '13 Motobecane Fantom29 HT, '16 Motobecane Turino Pro Disc, '18 Velobuild VB-R-022, '21 Tsunami SNM-100

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1465 Post(s)
Liked 1,542 Times in 806 Posts
Originally Posted by mechanicmatt
Any new saddles you all are liking that are not Brooks? I am in need of a new one, I tend to like saddles with a little cush to it.
You realize that you are asking an impossibly indefinite question, don't you?

This is like asking, "what's a good restaurant meal that isn't spaghetti?" Um, okay.

duck a l'orange

wait...

spicy black bean enchiladas

or

boeuf bourguignon

no, no, try Greek...

kreatopita

or...
Old 07-12-21, 01:26 PM
PFH

Bikes: late '60's Zieleman, Gary Fisher Marlin

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Me and another road cycling buddy really like the Fizik Aliante VS. (We're in our 60's.) I rode on a Brooks Pro for decades, but now I appreciate the padding and the center channel on the Fizik. A lot lighter, too.

Last edited by PFH; 07-12-21 at 01:31 PM.
Old 07-12-21, 02:43 PM
Ianohian

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, 1983(?) Miele Beta, 1994(?) Rockhopper drop bar conversion, and a Funbike delta front tilt steering recumbent tricycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Any new saddles you all are liking that are not Brooks? I am in need of a new one, I tend to like saddles with a little cush to it.
I just picked up a Kontact saddle. After moving it around a bit, I find it really comfortable. It seems to fit better more forward and a bit flatter than other saddles. I've also had really good luck with WTB saddles, but my all-time favorite was a gyro/fizik Dolomite.
Old 07-12-21, 02:55 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,463 Times in 1,433 Posts
Ass-o-meters are hard to come by, so it's hard to predict what saddle you will like. If your friend recommends one in particular, the recommendation is valuable only if your asses have the same internal shape. Are you going to check?

The only way I know of to find a saddle that's good for you is to try many saddles. It's time consuming. It can be expensive but needn't be, because you can sell some of the saddles for an effectively low rental rate.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-12-21, 03:22 PM
Ianohian

Bikes: Bianchi San Jose, 1983(?) Miele Beta, 1994(?) Rockhopper drop bar conversion, and a Funbike delta front tilt steering recumbent tricycle

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I agree noglider, everybody is a bit different down there, and trying a bunch of different saddles is the best way to go. What has been comfortable for me may or may not be comfortable for the OP, but I found myself in the same boat as them not that long ago and figured I'd share.
I don't know how useful it is, but you can measure the width of your 'sitz bones' with a bit of cardboard and a ruler, and I think I read about a little rig that does the same thing. By Specialized maybe?
But you're absolutely right, I 'rented' saddles from Kijiji until I found some that I liked.
Old 07-12-21, 04:42 PM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1662 Post(s)
Liked 1,816 Times in 1,056 Posts
I should have said no suspended leather saddles. I know we all think those are great but they are quite a bit of scratch.
Persons No. 77 Deluxe. $58. Bought one. Liked it, bought a second.
Old 07-12-21, 04:42 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
All derrières are different, but(t):

I think the WTB Rockets are worth trying. I've got a Rocket V on my bike, and it's a good 'un. Great shape, with a bit of a flare at the tail, (Not as much as a Concor, but noticeable,) and a bit of a beaky nose. Fairly thick padding, but it's very firm, and molds quite nicely. No squish. I'm a bit on the chunky side, especially in the torso, with a bony nobutt. They come in 130, 142, and 150 widths. Mines the 130, and is a bit too skinny. I'm thinking the 142 would be the business. (My two favorite non-Brooksian saddles are both 140s: the Rolls and, for MTBs, the Concor. I love that ducktail when I'm grinding up a hill.)

They're all-black now, but the previous generation came in some nice color combos, and aren't hard to find. Mine's black and silver, with tan stictching. Good lookin' seat.

--Shannon
Old 07-12-21, 06:03 PM
LECHERO531

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Have 19 bikes and all have gone the way of San Marco Concours.You can get them in a rainbow of colors and textures.
Am 65 and have been riding them since I was 13.
Old 07-13-21, 02:11 PM
Chombi1 

Mentioned: 102 Post(s)
Quoted: 1639 Post(s)
Liked 829 Times in 538 Posts
Concors are fantastic, but you do have to break-in your butt to conform to them if you never rode on them before.
Thing is, you're either a Concor rider or a Turbo rider. Transition from one to the other, also takes a bit of rear end break-in time.
Sams goes for the Rolls, which is a bit widbitand flatter han the Turbo.
I think I owe my adaptability to different saddles to riding Concors, a lightly padded, narrow and stiff saddle, for many years, which kinda made getting used to other saddles easy-peasy...... including suspended leather saddles.
84 Peugeot PY10FC
84 Gitane Tour de France.
85 Vitus Plus Carbone 7
86 ALAN Record Carbonio
86 Medici Aerodynamic (Project)
88 Pinarello Montello
89 Bottecchia Professional Chorus SL
95 Trek 5500 OCLV (Project)