Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

Aftermarket Quad Lock wireless options?

Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Old 07-14-21, 08:53 AM
MrWasabi

Bikes: 2014 Fuji Traverse 1.3, 2020 Electra Cruiser 1, 1995 Giant CFM-4

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 124 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 36 Posts

I have a Quad Lock case for my iPhone 12 Mini and am wondering if anyone has had any success with aftermarket wireless chargers? The one Quad Lock offers isn't what I am looking for as I want something for my desk that I can just sit the phone down on. Having to spin/lock it in for just desk use defeats the purpose of wireless for me as I might as well just plug the phone in. On Quad Lock's site they mention that some aftermarket ones will work but of course they don't mention which ones.

Thanks for any input.
Old 07-14-21, 02:10 PM
Smitty2k1

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 16 Posts
I had no issues using generic wireless chargers with my quadlock case on my galaxy s9
Old 07-14-21, 02:30 PM
MrWasabi

Thanks for the input. I've tried this Anker one with no luck:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I'm trying to avoid buying a bunch of chargers in hopes one works and was thinking someone may have success with a specific one and an iPhone 12..
Old 07-15-21, 02:47 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
I haven't tried wireless charging yet. I don't understand what the advantage is. Can someone explain it?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 07-15-21, 03:34 PM
MrWasabi

Well the obvious/main advantage is no need to connect a cord to your phone. Just sit it down on the charger and it starts charging. The same holds for my headphones and Apple Watch. I just sit them on the charging pad and they start charging. Disadvantages would be finding compatible cases and also if you need to use your phone for a call while it's low. You still would need to plug it in unless I guess you're on your headphones/speakerphone.
Old 07-17-21, 12:35 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
I had wireless phone charger for my iphone 8.
It did not work with this knock off version of quad lock
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I gave my wireless charger to the gf.
Old 07-17-21, 07:16 AM
znomit
Zoom zoom zoom zoom bonk

Bikes: Giant Defy, Trek 1.7c, BMC GF02, Fuji Tahoe, Scott Sub 35, Kona Rove, Trek Verve+2

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 549 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 365 Posts
The MagSafe feature has halved the wireless charging range, so the extra distance from the quad lock bracket is a real deal breaker.
Good luck getting anything to work well, if at all.
Quadlock don't actually claim anything will work.

https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/...-compatibility
Old 07-17-21, 08:07 AM
MrWasabi

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I'm just plugging in for now. Here's the article that mentions some may work:
https://support.quadlockcase.com/hc/...arty-chargers-

It does clarify that the iPhone 12's new Magsafe feature has made this even less likely to work.
Old 07-17-21, 07:12 PM
PedalCell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I haven't tried wireless charging yet. I don't understand what the advantage is. Can someone explain it?
Another main advantage is that it is much safer to wireless charge in the wet vs direct plug. USB ports are not waterproof and can corrode fast with water ingress. Wireless charging while cycling eliminates this issue. Though, there appear to be limited options available for handlebar wireless charging mounts. Also worth noting that wireless charging is *much* less power efficient vs a plug, as one would expect. Trade-offs either way.
Likes For PedalCell:
Old 07-29-21, 09:52 PM
daihard 
Just a person on bike

Bikes: 2015 Trek 1.1, 2021 Specialized Roubaix, 2022 Tern HSD S+

Quoted: 132 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 56 Posts
Originally Posted by PedalCell
Another main advantage is that it is much safer to wireless charge in the wet vs direct plug. USB ports are not waterproof and can corrode fast with water ingress. Wireless charging while cycling eliminates this issue. Though, there appear to be limited options available for handlebar wireless charging mounts. Also worth noting that wireless charging is *much* less power efficient vs a plug, as one would expect. Trade-offs either way.
if you're using Anrdoid, you can randomly display selected photos stored in your Google Photos during wireless charging.

My Pixel 4 with a Quad Lock case works with the standard Google Pixel wireless charging stand, but I have to align the phone much more precisely on the stand than when I had a Spigen case on it.

The value of your life doesn't change based on the way you travel. - Dawn Schellenberg (SDOT)
Old 08-06-21, 10:04 AM
njkayaker

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 4222 Post(s)
Liked 1,322 Times in 916 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
I don't understand what the advantage is. Can someone explain it?
It's easy to figure out an advantage even if it's slight. (It's a fairly-popular feature, which means there pretty-much has to be an advantage.)

Here are a few:
  • It's more convenient. It's a one hand operation. For something that is done twice.
  • It reduces the wear on the port (less of an issue for USB-C and Lightening).
  • It works across more devices. That is, you can use one charger for different devices (that use different plugs).
  • It reduces the "rats nest" issue if you have devices that use different plugs and they all support wireless charging.
(It can be a bit fussy to get the right orientation and it might not work through thick cases.)
Old 08-06-21, 10:22 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 510 Post(s)
Quoted: 7287 Post(s)
Liked 2,365 Times in 1,382 Posts
Originally Posted by njkayaker
It's easy to figure out an advantage even if it's slight. (It's a fairly-popular feature, which means there pretty-much has to be an advantage.)

Here are a few:
  • It's more convenient. It's a one hand operation. For something that is done twice.
  • It reduces the wear on the port (less of an issue for USB-C and Lightening).
  • It works across more devices. That is, you can use one charger for different devices (that use different plugs).
  • It reduces the "rats nest" issue if you have devices that use different plugs and they all support wireless charging.
(It can be a bit fussy to get the right orientation and it might not work through thick cases.)
Very nice. Thanks!

I'm pretty well committed to Quad Lock mounts, and they're expensive. They now have wireless charging mounts, and that's very attractive, but it will be a while before I'm willing to spend the bux on one. Eventually, maybe.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 08-06-21, 01:29 PM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
Seems like the OP was asking about wireless charging at home, not on the bike. I'm assuming they want to use the quadlock case all the time, not change back and forth between carry and riding case (which is what I do, with a quarter-turn rugged case and slim carry case).

As for why wireless charging... if you haven't tried it there's no way you'd know how nice it can be. Unsightly loose wires and cables around my desk and bedside are a pet peeve of mine - solved. Mainly it turns this small, repetitive, active chore (find cord, plug in, unplug, track charge level, decide when to plug and when not to bother, move cord out of way, recover fallen cord from behind desk and bedside table, etc) and turns it into a smaller, quicker passive interaction (drop on stand, pick up from stand). It seems tiny but tiny repetitive quality of life things like this do add up.
Likes For fourfa:
Old 08-06-21, 02:58 PM
Ogsarg

Bikes: 2019 Specialized Roubaix Comp Di2, 2009 Roubaix, early 90's Giant Iguana

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 636 Post(s)
Liked 1,490 Times in 543 Posts
Wireless charger

I used this one with my iphone 8 with quad lock case. Sometimes I have to adjust the angle to get it to start charging but that isn't difficult.
Old 08-06-21, 03:29 PM
MrWasabi

Originally Posted by fourfa
Seems like the OP was asking about wireless charging at home, not on the bike. I'm assuming they want to use the quadlock case all the time, not change back and forth between carry and riding case (which is what I do, with a quarter-turn rugged case and slim carry case).
Yes, that is correct. I'm trying to avoid swapping cases all the time. Specifically, since it's an iPhone 12, it doesn't charge as easily wirelessly with aftermarket chargers as earlier iPhones. I gave up since my post and am just plugging in. I like just leaving the case on all the time over swapping.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Likes For MrWasabi:
Old 11-19-21, 06:16 AM
lcbone91

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did you end up having any joy?
im currently in the market for a little docking station for Apple Watch/AirPods Pro/iPhone 12 and have a quad lock case.
Old 11-19-21, 03:44 PM
fourfa

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 35 Posts
This won’t help the OP since they’re already invested in the Quad-Lock system, but there’s this from Peak Design:

https://www.peakdesign.com/collectio...39462396231757

They’re well known in photography circles for making well-thought-out (though expensive) accessories with good design. Their phone retention system looks slimmer and lower-profile across the board, and explicitly MagSafe-compatible. If someone reading this thread is starting fresh, might be worth considering

EDIT: though hmm, on closer look their universal bar mount (which you’d use for a mid-stem placement) looks needlessly tall, not unlike the Quad-Lock. That’s what I’ve liked so much about the quarter-turn mount I use - sits flush to the stem, low profile, fewer edges to catch on stuff

Last edited by fourfa; 11-19-21 at 03:51 PM.