Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

R & M Load 60 Owners, Handlebar stem diameter?

Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

R & M Load 60 Owners, Handlebar stem diameter?

Old 07-06-21, 02:05 PM
MtlClimb

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by hydrocarbon
MtlClimb I got these numbers from a review:

Length 248 cm

Width 58 cm

Height 86 cm

Mine are:

L 247

W 59

H 115 (riser bar at max stem extension)

Oh man, thanks! I missed this one for some reason. Didn't get a notification. Thank you! I'll plug these into my 3D model tomorrow.

That shock upgrade is another great tip. I can see myself taking the Load out on some appropriate MTB trails so upgrading that definitely is on my tick list.

I'm still waiting for one piece of the phone mounting system I'm planning on using on the Load: the RAM mount arm that connects the Quad Lock ball mount to the rail mount. I've tried the rail mount on my Tern Vektron's seat post (which is the same diameter as you've measured for the Load's top steering tube) and it fits perfectly and solidly. I'll get a shot of that setup as soon as I get the missing piece.
Old 07-06-21, 02:14 PM
MtlClimb

Ah yes, the 3-Hz-headshake incident. I actually had two kids in the bike at the time and it was a bit scary since it was a pretty steep paved downhill that was getting steeper. I was able to slow the bike down from the indicated 62 with the rear brake, but for a good 100+ metres there wasn't a lot of directional control happening.

Anyway, I chalk it up to the early 60's flexy fork, but from what I've read, more weight and damping (e.g. lower tire pressures) up front helps too.

On the new bike I can induce a significant wobble on the new bike if I try — tapping the bar sharply or getting air on the front at speed can get it resonating — but I'm hoping a steering damper and a better fork than the Suntour will sort that out. I'll probably also take the new wheel I'm building for the longer-travel Manitou J-Unit to the scooter shop for a balancing job. Despite that, the 2021 60 been consistently stable past 60 km/h on smooth descents, but I still take it easier with the kids in front now.
Yeah that sounds rightfully frightening, especially having kid cargo

I try to check tire pressures pretty regularly on my current rides, and especially depending on what I'm riding on the Specialized Diverge (i.e. if I'm riding road or loose bits, or dirt, etc.). I see myself doing the same with the Load, especially since I'll be getting it right in late Oct/early Nov when it's starting to drop in temps up here. Snow is also a possibility around that time although I'm hoping I can get a couple weeks of dry riding before that happens, just to get accustomed.

Let me know if/when you get the steering stabilizer installed. I will likely get one put on my bike as well. I think that with the tire pressure should sort those out pretty well.
Old 07-06-21, 03:28 PM
hydrocarbon

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by MtlClimb
That shock upgrade is another great tip. I can see myself taking the Load out on some appropriate MTB trails so upgrading that definitely is on my tick list.
It's super-easy to swap and it makes a big ride improvement. I was bottoming out hard with the stock coil spring all the time even on-road, whereas the progressive rate of the air spring makes it a lot plusher over the small stuff while giving better resistance against bottoming out. The bushings are even a direct swap if you go with Rock Shox or Fox; I had to make a bit of a beer-can shim to get the DT Swiss' 16 mm eyelet to fit snugly.

I'm hoping that the better suspension fork gives a similar improvement in ride quality. It's shocking how poor the Suntour is considering the high quality of the rest of the bike. RST has some decent cargo bike options for 2022 in 100 mm axle / 1-1/8" steerer configuration that make it a much easier swap than the tapered-steerer 110mm Manitou.

Nice that the mount from the Tern fits the new bike. Looking forward to seeing some photos of the setup!
Old 07-09-21, 12:18 PM
MtlClimb

hydrocarbon the full assembly for the phone holder on the Load 60 handlebar stem is below! The components are:
- The RAM bar mount with 1" ball
- The RAM double mount for 1" ball (double socket, one on each side)
- The Quad Lock ball mount
- Quad Lock case for your phone

The mount is super versatile and can be loosened and re-positioned with one hand. It can be tilted in multiple ways and the phone can be placed horizontally in landscape, or vertically. So far it's pretty solid and should align really well just under the Intuvia unit.

Likes For MtlClimb:
Old 07-17-21, 03:41 PM
hydrocarbon

MtlClimb
I can’t recommend a fork upgrade highly enough. It’s now a point-and-shoot front end that eats up bumps and curbs; the wheel is just absolutely planted.

Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 07-18-21, 09:47 PM
MtlClimb

Wow wow wow hydrocarbon that is great. With that new front fork setup, have you found front fenders that would be compatible?

I wanted to also ask you, did you ever find a steering dampener setup that would work with the Load? I've seen most are for rear-loading cargo bikes (as opposed to the bakfiets-style of the Load).
Old 07-19-21, 07:19 AM
hydrocarbon

MtlClimb
The stock fender clears just fine and the fork arch is pre-drilled for mounting; I only have to get some SKS fork leg mounts to convert it, and I was too busy riding to go to the shop to pick them up yet.

I took the bike up to 70 km/h and there was no trace of vibration or speed wobble. I even tried inducing oscillation with a sharp tap to the handlebar and lofting the wheel over a bump at an angle at speed; not even a hint of resonance. Doing either of those would cause a serious speed wobble anywhere over 30 km/h with the Suntour.

I'm not sure whether speed wobble has been cured because of the new wheel, the improved fork stiffness, the extra travel, the superior damping control, or the slightly-slacker head angle, but whatever combination of factors it is, I no longer feel the need for a steering damper as the problem seems to be fundamentally fixed.

The full 120 mm of travel suits this fast, stable chassis just fine, too! Plus the pedal clearance is a bit better. Even though it's super-easy to dial the fork into a lower travel setting by simply attaching a shock pump to open the equalizing valve, I haven't even been tempted to try it. I love the plush feeling of the full travel, and when you set it up right with 30-40 mm of sag, there's not even much difference in ride height. I can charge right over the 50-mm-deep drainage V-channel on my street at full speed without even feeling a bump, while doing the same thing with the Suntour would harshly jar the front end; it's great to have a fork that you can actually adjust and set up properly!

The RST Spex 20-15 Air also seems like a really good option, as its straight 1-1/8" steerer doesn't require changing the lower headset, it can use the stock 100x15 hub, and it has integrated mounting tabs for the fender. You would only need a 1-mm-thick shim for the steering clamp to make its 30 mm stanchions work on the Load. 100 mm of air travel with adjustable compression and rebound damping would be a massive upgrade from the Suntour.

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 07-19-21 at 07:35 AM.
Old 07-19-21, 07:47 AM
hydrocarbon

One more thing: I'm going find an RST Spex for my Load 75 and let you know how that goes, in case you haven't tried it yourself already by that time. I've only come across the 80-mm version, but there has to be some of the 100 mm ones out there somewhere. I don't ride the bigger 75 as fast or as hard as I do the 60, so I don't think I'll go to the bother and expense of installing another Manitou, plus I'm interested to see how the RST compares anyway.
Old 07-19-21, 12:14 PM
MtlClimb

That is awesome hydrocarbon and very encouraging about the speed wobble being fixed with this new front fork and wheel combo. I'm definitely going to source that for my bike right now and, likely wait to swap it on next spring after I've ridden it through the winter on the stock front fork. Just checking, that model is the Manitou JUNIT Pro for 20" with 120mm of travel?

We were talking about a GPS solution for bikes and I had previously mentioned AirTags. Here is an interesting account of a (apparently real) stolen bike situation, which was found using the AirTag.
Likes For MtlClimb:
Old 07-19-21, 04:19 PM
hydrocarbon

And now the job is complete:

Way better coverage with the inverted mount; the fender is too short at the front in its original configuration. The dog no longer has to sit backwards to avoid getting wheel spray in the face, and seems more relaxed with the plush fork, too. 👍

Just checking, that model is the Manitou JUNIT Pro for 20" with 120mm of travel?
It has 120 mm of travel but lacks the IRT option so I think it’s either the Expert model or some earlier version of the Pro. Either way, it works great. The IRT insert can be bought separately for more bottom-out control, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 07-20-21, 07:31 AM
MtlClimb

And now the job is complete:

Way better coverage with the inverted mount; the fender is too short at the front in its original configuration. The dog no longer has to sit backwards to avoid getting wheel spray in the face, and seems more relaxed with the plush fork, too. 👍
Looks fantastic! I really like the look of that fork with the black on black tubes. I was wondering about the fenders and this looks and sounds great. I don't usually put them on my gravel/backcountry bike but for sure I need it on my Load.

It has 120 mm of travel but lacks the IRT option so I think it’s either the Expert model or some earlier version of the Pro. Either way, it works great. The IRT insert can be bought separately for more bottom-out control, but I don’t think it’s necessary.
Ahh excellent! I will source one when I come back from our summer vacations. If my bike comes earlier than I think, I might just swap it out before the winter. Getting excited about this! Thanks for all your help.

Last edited by MtlClimb; 07-20-21 at 07:32 AM. Reason: Forgot something
Likes For MtlClimb:
Old 07-20-21, 07:35 AM
hydrocarbon

MtlClimb
Ha, thanks. Honestly, I've been a bit obsessed with riding and tuning bikes and motorcycles since I was a kid, and I think this is the most liberating thing on two wheels I've ridden. You have more hauling capacity than most motorcycles, but with a lower centre of gravity and room for kids or even a grown-up, you can ride and park it wherever you want, and it descends like a bullet train. I can't recommend it more highly, and it's really satisfying to get some real suspension on this amazing chassis. Really stoked for you!
Old 07-21-21, 08:40 AM
MtlClimb

hydrocarbon that's awesome. I'm trying to maintain, upkeep and upgrade my own bikes since this past year because of the lockdown and I've found it extremely meditative. I grew up with a mechanic dad and got a lot of the basics of auto maintenance from him. I find maintaining a bike is very similar, just on a smaller scale. Having all this info from you, who seem to really have done a lot of (I would argue, necessary) upgrades to the Load, means a lot.

When I saw the Load, I thought the same thing as you. I used to have a Triumph Bonneville (which, uncoincidentally, I sold this year) and having kids, I find the Load is a much more practical vehicle. And with the lockdown(s) most of our trips have shifted to exploring our local places. And then when you factor in that I can do most of my usual day-to-day trips with this and not have to think about putting bags on, keeping lights charged, worrying about the comfort of the ride, etc. then the Load absolutely makes sense.

I am so stoked and have even worked out my parking situation summer/winter in the yard & shed. Mine is due to be built late Aug and shipping by boat so that will take me to late Oct at the moment.
Likes For MtlClimb:
Old 07-29-21, 07:43 AM
hydrocarbon

Just checking, that model is the Manitou JUNIT Pro for 20" with 120mm of travel?
I looked a bit further and... duh, the answer is right on the fork: J-Unit Pro custom made for Commençal. I could also have simply read the page I ordered the fork from a bit more carefully.

It looks exactly like the regular-production Pro except the crown is has a nice glossy black finish instead of being in polished aluminum, and they used the Expert model's IVA top cap instead of the IRT (adjustable bottom-out air spring). The IRT cartridge can be bought as a separate upgrade, which could be good for cargo-bike use. I'll have to try it out and see. I much prefer the glossy black to the matte finish for use on the Load.

Details here; the pricing is great, especially sans VAT:

https://www.commencal-store.co.uk/ma...rk-c2x30720589

If your French is decent — which it presumably is if you're Montréalais — then you can just call them for more details. I found them super-nice to deal with.

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 07-29-21 at 07:46 AM.
Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 08-01-21, 08:29 PM
MtlClimb

That's amazing, hydrocarbon . That special-edition version looks like it's the version to have! I'll give them a call when I come back from holidays in a couple of weeks. Thank you so much for sending this link!!!
Likes For MtlClimb:
Old 08-01-21, 08:42 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4331 Post(s)
Liked 3,955 Times in 2,644 Posts
hydrocarbon That is freakin' sick! I love love love it. Pimping it out as it should be. Those Manitou forks are awesome, The R7 pro was on the list if I couldn't get a Fox Factory to work (luckily the 140 Fox 36 e-bike tuned did the ticket for Kashima coated glory). I am also considering the new MT7e brakes and have that same Magura rotor on order. If only they made one for Rohloff I would be in a pimp's paradise.

I wish R+M would keep pricing similar but do some more upgrades as we have done especially on the non-Delites. However what they use is fine stuff.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-02-21, 12:25 AM
hydrocarbon

MtlClimb
It's just an excellent fork; can't recommend it highly enough for this bike. It's so nice to be able to simply dial in more compression damping for heavier loads, too. Next thing is to put the Smart Sam tires on and try it out on the trails.

veganbikes
Ha, thanks!

You're going to love the MDR-P rotor on the front. I find that it isn't nearly as noticeable in looks on the back of a cargo or longtail, especially with bags, though I would recommend going as large as possible on the rear rotor for any e-bike just for more heat dissipation. There's a 210 mm available here: https://brake-stuff.de/en/brake-disc...idth-available

Cool, I didn't know about the MT7e brakes. At some point I'm going to want to switch from the C2.3s, although they're way better than the Auriga ones on the previous model. I was going to go with the MT5e because the 5s are identical to the 7s, except for the levers and the colour. But it would be nice to see what the e-version of the 7 looks like first. Do you have a link to the info?

By the way — for the Supercharger, I'm not sure if there would even be much point in upgrading since you already have the same caliper and master cylinder on the front with the MT5e, so it just would be a really expensive way to go quad-piston on the rear.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot that really needs upgrading on most R&Ms; the frames and motors are amazing, there's no cost-cutting cheap parts specified, and you don't even really want exotic super-high-end parts in most areas of an e-bike — just proven, solid stuff that works reliably. The fork and shock on the Load are the obvious weak spots, but the rest is basically perfect. I've recently installed an XT shifter to replace the sloppy SLX, then I'm switching over to an 11-51 cassette and the matching derailleur when the 11-46 wears out, and that's about it for now.

Did your bike come with the Suntour or the Marzocchi Bomber that they now specify? I almost bought a Fox Factory 36 for that Moustache that I put the MT5e brakes on because of how sucky the Suntour fork is, but I don't ride it nearly as much since I got the new Load 60 so it's not that big of a priority. Still, I'd love to see some photos if you have any!

How do you like the 140 mm compared to the 100 mm it came with? Personally, I've never regretted going longer travel than stock.

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 08-02-21 at 12:31 AM.
Likes For hydrocarbon:
Old 08-02-21, 07:25 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

MtlClimb
It's just an excellent fork; can't recommend it highly enough for this bike. It's so nice to be able to simply dial in more compression damping for heavier loads, too. Next thing is to put the Smart Sam tires on and try it out on the trails.

veganbikes
Ha, thanks!

You're going to love the MDR-P rotor on the front. I find that it isn't nearly as noticeable in looks on the back of a cargo or longtail, especially with bags, though I would recommend going as large as possible on the rear rotor for any e-bike just for more heat dissipation. There's a 210 mm available here: https://brake-stuff.de/en/brake-disc...idth-available

Cool, I didn't know about the MT7e brakes. At some point I'm going to want to switch from the C2.3s, although they're way better than the Auriga ones on the previous model. I was going to go with the MT5e because the 5s are identical to the 7s, except for the levers and the colour. But it would be nice to see what the e-version of the 7 looks like first. Do you have a link to the info?

By the way — for the Supercharger, I'm not sure if there would even be much point in upgrading since you already have the same caliper and master cylinder on the front with the MT5e, so it just would be a really expensive way to go quad-piston on the rear.

Yeah, there's not a whole lot that really needs upgrading on most R&Ms; the frames and motors are amazing, there's no cost-cutting cheap parts specified, and you don't even really want exotic super-high-end parts in most areas of an e-bike — just proven, solid stuff that works reliably. The fork and shock on the Load are the obvious weak spots, but the rest is basically perfect. I've recently installed an XT shifter to replace the sloppy SLX, then I'm switching over to an 11-51 cassette and the matching derailleur when the 11-46 wears out, and that's about it for now.

Did your bike come with the Suntour or the Marzocchi Bomber that they now specify? I almost bought a Fox Factory 36 for that Moustache that I put the MT5e brakes on because of how sucky the Suntour fork is, but I don't ride it nearly as much since I got the new Load 60 so it's not that big of a priority. Still, I'd love to see some photos if you have any!

How do you like the 140 mm compared to the 100 mm it came with? Personally, I've never regretted going longer travel than stock.
Oh yeah I have been looking at their stuff...really cool I can get custom messages in them. However I do like to match when I can and I like the two piece stuff.

The 7s are different the MT5s are the entry into the 4 pot brakes but the MT7s are what the pros run and in this case with the higo connection. Maybe not a huuuuuuge difference but a bit lighter (which don't matter to us) and apparently a little stiffer at the caliper and with the carbon levers and probably some other stuff that I have missed because I literally just saw them yesterday and didn't do a deep dive.

The rear is an MT4 so it is dual piston so different caliper not far off but I want quad pistons and I honestly do have them on another bike which isn't being ridden and needs work (and wouldn't need as much power because the rider is old and won't ride much) so I could just take it off and swap it but then the MT7e's came out and I have always wanted a set even if I actually don't normally care for that color.

Mine was right before the Marzocchi, I wish I could have gotten the Marzocchi, I still wanted the Fox Factory but it would have been nice to have a Bomber. I don't like SR Suntour really because I liked Medea Industries, the original Suntour and wish they had a different name, beyond that their stuff is of fine quality on their nicer stuff (though they have cheap crap)

I haven't fitted the new fork yet but it is going to happen soon. I need a boost hub and unfortunately the hub I really want is out for a while and the boost kit to adapt the front wheel is also out hopefully not as long and I really don't want an XTR hub built wheel as a stop gap even if it is XTR and XTR is awesome. I like sealed cartridge bearings on my wheels and I prefer White Industries when I can. However I may just swap wheels between my MTB for a bit as needed, a flat fix here and there isn't so bad or I could even swap wheels with that other bike sitting around come to think of it both are boost 650b and similar sized tires...Maybe I will switch tomorrow after work?

Honestly though the travel wasn't so much an issue I just needed the right axle to crown and the 140 happened to fit that and have Kashima coating and an e-bike tune. For a super short travel on yours it probably would make a bigger difference but I am fine with the fork as is, I have a mountain bike for mountain biking and that is running 100mm travel and is fine. I came from riding BMX and a full rigid on MTB trails so 100mm is plenty plush for the little MTB I do. I am roadie most of the time or prefer slaying gravel.

I am a chronic upgrader and really hate pre built bikes with e-bikes it is super tough so R-M was sort of the best route that had closest to what I wanted. I have come to learn that Bosch especially is a tough one to mess around with and can get you deep in the cow pies it isn't as simple as saying boom, new hub and shifter and wire it up and done it is a lot of firmware re-writing that nobody can really do or wants to do. So luckily I got as close as I could and have been working on the rest. Off the shelf it is a great bike but I don't do off the shelf just because I don't, I can't. Heck if it weren't going to cost me and arm and a leg I want a nice red anodized Rohloff hub like what Tern specs on the R-14 but that is a lot of money and time wasted for no real difference but if I could have had R-M build it like that I would have done it. That is just who I am.
Old 08-03-21, 04:49 AM
hydrocarbon

veganbikes
I'm curious which MT7e you've seen.

The results I get are these, which just seem like regular MT7 brakes that have different levers swapped in:
https://www.minimotors-nyc.com/produ...gura-mt7e-pair
https://ebikes.ca/ebmt7ekit.html

In any case, I own both and would recommend looking at the MT5e model; it comes with the upgraded pads already equipped, its solid machined-aluminum piston covers are nicer than the neon plastic ones on the MT7 in my opinion, and the levers are the same on all the brake-light models anyway, which negates the only real advantage the regular MT7 has.

The MT7 also has some sort of little knob that's supposed to adjust the bite point, but it makes no discernible difference, and eventually the plastic shaft wears out and starts letting the lever pop loose at the pivot too easily, whereas the MT5 / MT5e has a steel pin that keeps it in place reliably, so that's another point in favour of the 5-series for me.

I dunno, they're both insanely good brakes so you can't go wrong either way. But yeah, I totally understand having upgrade-itis. Looking forward to seeing photos of the project!

Last edited by hydrocarbon; 08-03-21 at 05:14 AM.
Old 08-03-21, 08:58 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

veganbikes
I'm curious which MT7e you've seen.

I dunno, they're both insanely good brakes so you can't go wrong either way. But yeah, I totally understand having upgrade-itis. Looking forward to seeing photos of the project!
Those are the ones,

I have the MT5e's already. I just have the upgrades in my mind and just saw those I didn't really do all the good research you did I saw MT7s and have always wanted some. It is that dreamy brake that the pros have and I could have it now for an e-bike. That is it. Silly I know but hey so is a lot of the stuff I am doing on it.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 08-13-21, 12:05 PM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I test rode a Load 75 the other day and while the brakes were powerful enough, the fit-finish was definitely not as good as my Tern GSD's Magura MT5 eStop brakes. Those things are amazing and I wish my regular MTB had them. So I think they'd be a great upgrade!
Old 08-16-21, 04:21 AM
hydrocarbon

tegnamo Which brakes did the bike have?

The Auriga ones found on some Load 75s are a bit clunky and uninspiring, but I find that the C2.3s are well-finished and feel really precise and solid. I don't find the design as nice-looking as Magura and they don't have quite the same level of feel, but I can't fault the quality.

In any case, quad-piston Maguras are a nice upgrade on any bike. The MT5 and MT5e are an incredible amount of brake for the money, and they work with the same levers that fit on MT7s.
Old 08-20-21, 11:57 AM
tegnamo

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I am not totally sure. I think they were Tektros (possibly the Aurigas).