Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Old 10-05-18, 10:03 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
I only drew that up like that because I was looking at the Assioma pedals and it looked like the tension screw was on an angle on the backside of the clasp, thereby pulling the clasp up and forward.

Any bracket angle could made up to accomodate different clasp designs/screw angles. If the screw were horizontal when the pedal was level, some more design/engineering would have to go into it, as at that angle, some shear force would be present.

The best design would have
1) to pull the clasp closed (up and forward)
2) act on any mounting hardware in compression while limiting shear/tension forces (because the screws are so small, and materials relatively soft and weak, which makes for a weak interface)
3) and place the strap behind the ball of the foot, ideally as far back as possible. This increases the leverage of the strap against any rotation of the foot, minimizing accidental disengagement.

Last edited by taras0000; 10-06-18 at 12:17 AM.
Old 10-05-18, 02:19 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

This design is horrible and is only slightly better than zip-tying your straps to your pedla spindle.

And this one is just as bad.
Old 10-05-18, 02:23 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

These are a little better because they place the strap behind the ball of your foot.​​​​​​

Old 10-05-18, 02:27 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

These, along with the above mentioned ones by Carlton and Bebifudo, are the best because they place the strap better and serve to Acton the clasp in a way that closes it up

Old 10-05-18, 03:47 PM
seau grateau

Bikes: Litespeed Catalyst, IRO Rob Roy, All City Big Block

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1332 Post(s)
Liked 398 Times in 194 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
Wow, this one actually reverse engineered itself all the way back to toe-clips. Seems like the rider might as well just use some NJS pedals.
Old 10-05-18, 04:19 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by seau grateau
Wow, this one actually reverse engineered itself all the way back to toe-clips. Seems like the rider might as well just use some NJS pedals.
Sort of. This design could be improved simply by not piercing the strap with the screw like this rider did. The bent kick tab at the back would keep the strap from sliding off backwards, and the integrity of the strap is maintained.

The old school slotted cleats could still pop loose if you didn't have the Deep slotted cleats. Using newer pedals with the same system adds a little bit of double redundancy there at least. He probably just ended up having the the rat trap on just to make the pedal easier to slip into. There are the MKS EXA (https://www.mkspedal.com/?q=en/product/node/71) pedals that many Japanese Keirin riders use. It uses the 3 hole mount, but it's a system that's really only feasible for track use, so you would need a different set up for the road to train on.

I did something similar. Mine looked similar but without the rat trap at the front for my speed plays but what I did was have new bow ties machine for the bottom side. They were thicker than normal had a tang on the back and a slot milled into them to accomodate a strap. You needed really stiff straps to be able to get into them easily. I wish I took pictures of the set up.

Last edited by taras0000; 10-05-18 at 06:25 PM.
Old 10-05-18, 05:13 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Agree, I think the VP is the best off the shelf design at the moment. In my experience, they are basically just like LOOK Keo low-mid level pedals, maybe bearings and materials a little nicer, but basic pedal design. The bearings do develop a little play, but not excessive, and the price is right as well. Recommended.
Old 10-05-18, 06:06 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by Baby Puke
Agree, I think the VP is the best off the shelf design at the moment. In my experience, they are basically just like LOOK Keo low-mid level pedals, maybe bearings and materials a little nicer, but basic pedal design. The bearings do develop a little play, but not excessive, and the price is right as well. Recommended.
Now that I've moved within 45min of Milton, I've been seriously considering getting them, as staying with my current SPD-R set up means altering soles, custom shoes, or making shoes. I really like the idea of making my own set, and have the means and knowledge to do so, it's just whether or not I want to devote the time to tinkering with it. I have narrow feet, with a narrow heel and moderately high arches, so finding shoes that fit well is always a pain. It will still be a few months before I am able to devote any time to riding outside of the house, so I have some time to decide. It's just weighing whether I want to stick with what I consider the best pedal system for sprinting, and dealing with the hassles from time to time, or modernizing my set up and be able to use current equipment. I have enough gear to outfit 4 bikes, so the inventory is there for me to use, it's just dealing with shoes going forward.
Old 10-05-18, 06:21 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Here are some other Speedplay mods that I came across in case people were interested.

I don't recommend this set up at all as it weakens the strap. I did this the first time around and it held for about a season, but then I went to tighten the straps one time and the strap snapped on me.

This is the better way of doing it

Or even doing this

In this one, the straps are sandwiched between the cleat and a piece of plastic. The screws don't pierce the straps.
Old 10-06-18, 06:32 AM
Morelock

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 37 Posts
^I tried the top one on my Speedplays (just poke a hole in the strap and run a washer/bolt into the bottom of the pedal) agree looks weak especially over time. Hadn't ever seen the one below it, although it looks like a much better solution.

Then again... for my meager starts pulling a pedal would be an accomplishment in itself.
Old 10-06-18, 11:18 AM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Looked at some data, and I'm putting out >250Nm in my starts.
Old 10-06-18, 11:41 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
This is another example of Track getting hand-me-down tech from the Road world where we have very specific (and somewhat easy to solve) needs that we will pay to have met.

This is an opportunity for some pedal company.

This is a great start, but it's still a relatively minor adaptation to the standard Road pedal.

What if a Track pedal were designed from the ground up?
Old 10-06-18, 01:49 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by southernfox
Looked at some data, and I'm putting out >250Nm in my starts.
Pics or it didn't happen

I got pics:

Old 10-06-18, 02:47 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Originally Posted by carleton
This is another example of Track getting hand-me-down tech from the Road world where we have very specific (and somewhat easy to solve) needs that we will pay to have met.

This is an opportunity for some pedal company.

This is a great start, but it's still a relatively minor adaptation to the standard Road pedal.

What if a Track pedal were designed from the ground up?
I honestly wouldn't change anything about this design except for maybe bearings and offering multiple spindle lengths. It is a relatively ground-up design in that the pedal body itself, as well as the clasp are designed and manufactured from the start to accept straps. It solves the strap problem without altering or adding to the pedal. Fact is, the way the pedal is made, in no way harms its function, but improves it as soon as straps are added, as per the design, and as per out wants and needs. It ticks all the boxes that trackies want and need with absolutely no detriments.

The SPD-R were almost the perfect track pedal in my opinion, Solid metal to metal interface, no chance of breaking a cleat, and strong enough to adapt straps securely. People dropped them when SPD-SL came out. Many were saying (I believe you included) that having the wider/solid platform was a help, from a propriocetive standpoint. So if a wider platform was needed, then SL solved that. All that was needed was a good retention system. One that was strong and adaptable/accepting for straps. If a company like VP can do it, why can't Shimano or LOOK? Because there's no money in it. They already have the lion's share of the high end pedal market, and they're not losing it.

VP comes up with a pedal that was designed for track right from the ground up, and barely anyone buys it. The clasp AND pedal body are slotted to accept straps, single or double. I remember when they first came out years ago, 2011 I think, yet how many people do you see using them? I know of two people who actually own them. How many people are using strap hacks on SL pedals, or LOOKS? I bet you that there are more hacks than VPs. People like us keep saying that we want these track specific products, yet no one goes out and buys them when they hit the market. What message does that send to the manufacturers? If enough people started to buy the VP pedals, you can bet your ass that Shimano and LOOK will offer something. Why? Because they are losing market share.

You want track stuff, buy track stuff when it comes available. If people keep adapting and hacking stuff, then manufacturers have no incentive to make what we want. Why? Because people are still buying their product and it costs them no extra time or money for us to change their product. They are out nothing and we're still buying their product. Buy track stuff, and Shimano and LOOK and will lose out on product and will try to reclaim that market. It's not the offerings that are the problem, it's the consumers.

Last edited by taras0000; 10-06-18 at 02:56 PM.
Old 10-06-18, 02:48 PM
jfiveeight

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are the NZ track straps, they fit better than BLS which i had last year.

Old 10-06-18, 03:44 PM
southernfox

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
For @carleton

Old 10-06-18, 05:07 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by southernfox
For @carleton

Touché
Old 10-09-18, 09:35 AM
Kaben

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Is there anywhere to buy Fujitoshi style straps ( or similar off brand versions?) for reasonable money? As i understand it Fujitoshi stopped making straps a long time ago and all the ones i have seen are extremely expensive.

Thanks
Old 10-09-18, 10:27 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

There are more brands that make laminated double straps. MKS, and Errebi are two others. Errebi makes the mint green "Sprint" brand straps.
Old 10-14-18, 08:15 PM
Baby Puke

Zipp 900 users: My axle has become worn so that there is play between the axle and bearing inner races. This is giving an unacceptable amount to radial and lateral runout at the rim. Bearings have just been replaced, so it's not them. I micced the axle under the bearings and it's 14.9mm, bearing inner race being 15mm. Thing is, it's 14.9mm all along the section that sits under and between the bearings, which is a little perplexing because the section between could not have become worn (no contact).

Two questions:
1. Could someone measure their axle for me (where the bearings sit)?
2. Has this happened to anyone else? What was your solution?

Thanks in advance!
Old 10-14-18, 09:06 PM
Bang0Bang00
41 calories/30 min typing

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Re track straps

Has anyone tried the Ynot brand straps on the track?

They're pretty beefy compared to most pictured. I just love them for street and am curious if they'd transfer... presumably with the zap strap attachment method.

https://youtu.be/rE9GungwI3o
Old 10-21-18, 12:40 PM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Hi all, I have a random question regarding flying 200m gearing on different track lengths / banking angles.

Is there any agreed wisdom on changing your gearing for different tracks types?

For example locally I have a 2 tracks, one is a 450m track with shallow banking and the flying 200m incorporates corners 3 &4.

The other is an indoor 250m Velodrome with very steep banking and the flying 200 starts mid corner between 1/2, continues through corners 3/4 and finishes on the straight.

Do the different tracks require a different gearing or would you tackle them with the same gear?

Sorry if this seems elementary - was just wondering if the additional corners made a difference.
Old 10-21-18, 01:03 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Kaben
Hi all, I have a random question regarding flying 200m gearing on different track lengths / banking angles.

Is there any agreed wisdom on changing your gearing for different tracks types?

For example locally I have a 2 tracks, one is a 450m track with shallow banking and the flying 200m incorporates corners 3 &4.

The other is an indoor 250m Velodrome with very steep banking and the flying 200 starts mid corner between 1/2, continues through corners 3/4 and finishes on the straight.

Do the different tracks require a different gearing or would you tackle them with the same gear?

Sorry if this seems elementary - was just wondering if the additional corners made a difference.
Generally speaking, the way you'd approach the flying 200 on the two track mentioned would be significantly different.

One major point is that on a shallow track, there is very little climbing during the windup. On the steep track, there is a significant amount of climbing during the windup.

The second is the dive. On the former track, the dive is from a shallow height. On the latter track, from a much higher point.

Experience on both will guide you more than our words can. You have to go out and practice it...and use various gears doing so. "Big gear" and "Small gear" are all relative terms. Your goal right now is to find out what that "Normal gear" is for you and the track. From there, you can go bigger or smaller.
Old 10-22-18, 05:40 AM
Kaben

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carleton
Generally speaking, the way you'd approach the flying 200 on the two track mentioned would be significantly different.

One major point is that on a shallow track, there is very little climbing during the windup. On the steep track, there is a significant amount of climbing during the windup.

The second is the dive. On the former track, the dive is from a shallow height. On the latter track, from a much higher point.

Experience on both will guide you more than our words can. You have to go out and practice it...and use various gears doing so. "Big gear" and "Small gear" are all relative terms. Your goal right now is to find out what that "Normal gear" is for you and the track. From there, you can go bigger or smaller.
Hi Carlton, thanks for that. If just getting out and testing is the answer, that’s cool. I just wanted to check that there wasn’t some agreed wisdom on gearing adjustment from a control gearing for each track type so I didn’t waste time going the wrong way with the tweaks. My inclination would be to go slightly easier since there is more climbing as you say and more time spent in corners. Maybe with so little experience it doesn’t really matter as line choice will be more important.

I have a sprint training session coming up for the 250m track the weekend after next and then my first sprint competition is a few days after that. The training session is 2 hours but realistically I assume I will only have a handful of 200m attempts taking rest times into account. Hopefully I can work something out!

Old 10-22-18, 06:01 AM
Baby Puke

Originally Posted by Kaben

Hi Carlton, thanks for that. If just getting out and testing is the answer, that’s cool. I just wanted to check that there wasn’t some agreed wisdom on gearing adjustment from a control gearing for each track type so I didn’t waste time going the wrong way with the tweaks. My inclination would be to go slightly easier since there is more climbing as you say and more time spent in corners. Maybe with so little experience it doesn’t really matter as line choice will be more important.

I have a sprint training session coming up for the 250m track the weekend after next and then my first sprint competition is a few days after that. The training session is 2 hours but realistically I assume I will only have a handful of 200m attempts taking rest times into account. Hopefully I can work something out!
My three usual tracks area 400, a 333 and a 250. I usually ride pretty much the same gear on all of them, maybe a tooth up in front on the 250. I find my top speeds are a bit higher on the 250, but the times are pretty close between all three tracks.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.