Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Why aren't frame locks popular in the U.S.?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 11-09-16, 05:59 PM
howardv

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 21 Posts

Neighbor recently had their bike stolen while they were buying water at 7-11. They had leaned their bike against the glass outside and it was gone. Then I was talking to an employee of an LBS and he went for fast food and leaned his bike against the glass, within eyeshot, and some guy jump and take off with it. He gave chase (running), but couldn't catch up. I've had bikes stolen in the past by leaving it "for just a second" while I run into the store.

As easy as it is to break a lock in seconds, it appears a lot of bikes get stolen that were never locked. And that's because we get lazy. We don't want to carry heavy locks on our rides, find a poll, etc. It seems a frame lock is the perfect solution for that quick in n' out type of situation. And I do see it being used in Europe, but it's very rare in the U.S.

If you've never seen one, this is a frame lock.

I just bought two of these. One for my Sirrus hybrid and another for my cargo bike. I will not be putting one on my full suspension mountain bike (of course), but I just discovered the disc brake lock. This would be easy and light to carry in my backpack for mountain biking (I ride to the trails and love to stop for fast food on my way back).

Of course, none of these will stop anyone from picking up your bike and walking away with it, or throwing it in the back of a truck. But it seems like a lot of thefts are from people just riding it away. I'm really surprised that I don't see these locks at any of the bike shops. It seems that most average folks don't even know these types of locks exist.
Likes For howardv:
Old 11-09-16, 06:14 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
The disc brake lock - I would think that a thief wouldn't notice it and would trash your bike attempting to steal it.
Likes For GeneO:
Old 11-09-16, 06:15 PM
Glenn123

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Don't know why they aren't more prevalent in the US. Seems they would work well for a quick "in and out". I wouldn't use them for overnight on the street.
Likes For Glenn123:
Old 11-09-16, 07:17 PM
hankaye

Bikes: '95 Specilized StumpjumperFS

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Howdy All;

Why not just a simple pair of hand-cuff through the wheel spokes
for a quickly stop at a 7-11 or whatever ... or a small master lock
through one of the holes in the brake disc?

hank
Likes For hankaye:
Old 11-09-16, 07:24 PM
howardv

Originally Posted by GeneO
The disc brake lock - I would think that a thief wouldn't notice it and would trash your bike attempting to steal it.
Discs are pretty tough. He'll try to roll and jump on and discover it's not "peddle-able" - and quickly take off when he sees you running out of the store. And it is possible that the disc gets damaged - still better than having the bike stolen.

Originally Posted by hankaye
Howdy All;

Why not just a simple pair of hand-cuff through the wheel spokes
for a quickly stop at a 7-11 or whatever ... or a small master lock
through one of the holes in the brake disc?

hank
Hand-cuff would work too! But I still prefer the frame lock since it's part of the bike - nothing extra to carry (only a key). And a really good idea to use a small pad lock for the discs (when you don't want to install a frame-lock). Didn't even think of that. Really great idea! Thanks.
Old 11-09-16, 07:27 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
If I have to go into a convenience store I remove my front wheel so at least the bike can't just be ridden away. Then grab whatever I'm buying, and hurry back out. Not fool proof of course but has worked so far.
Likes For exmechanic89:
GeneO 

Originally Posted by howardv
Discs are pretty tough. He'll try to roll and jump on and discover it's not "peddle-able" - and quickly take off when he sees you running out of the store. And it is possible that the disc gets damaged - still better than having the bike stolen. .
I mean the lock will smash into the caliper and trash it for sure, they aren't so tough, and if it is a carbon fork, maybe that too.
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Neighbor recently had their bike stolen while they were buying water at 7-11. They had leaned their bike against the glass outside and it was gone. Then I was talking to an employee of an LBS and he went for fast food and leaned his bike against the glass, within eyeshot, and some guy jump and take off with it. He gave chase (running), but couldn't catch up. I've had bikes stolen in the past by leaving it "for just a second" while I run into the store.

As easy as it is to break a lock in seconds, it appears a lot of bikes get stolen that were never locked. And that's because we get lazy. We don't want to carry heavy locks on our rides, find a poll, etc. It seems a frame lock is the perfect solution for that quick in n' out type of situation. And I do see it being used in Europe, but it's very rare in the U.S.

If you've never seen one, this is a frame lock.

I just bought two of these. One for my Sirrus hybrid and another for my cargo bike. I will not be putting one on my full suspension mountain bike (of course), but I just discovered the disc brake lock. This would be easy and light to carry in my backpack for mountain biking (I ride to the trails and love to stop for fast food on my way back).

Of course, none of these will stop anyone from picking up your bike and walking away with it, or throwing it in the back of a truck. But it seems like a lot of thefts are from people just riding it away. I'm really surprised that I don't see these locks at any of the bike shops. It seems that most average folks don't even know these types of locks exist.

Not only do these frame locks secure your rear wheel, they allow you to add a 6mm square link noose chain of lengths up to 1.5metres to further secure your bike to fixed objects and/or to secure your front wheel or saddle, etc.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Abus Amparo Frame Lock 4850.jpg (99.7 KB, 821 views)

Last edited by ColonelSanders; 11-09-16 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-09-16, 07:37 PM
howardv

Originally Posted by exmechanic89
If I have to go into a convenience store I remove my front wheel so at least the bike can't just be ridden away. Then grab whatever I'm buying, and hurry back out. Not fool proof of course but has worked so far.
And get your hands dirty right before eating?

I've removed the quick release and replaced it with wheel locks, so it won't be so quick for me.
Likes For howardv:
Old 11-09-16, 07:38 PM
howardv

Originally Posted by GeneO
I mean the lock will smash into the caliper and trash it for sure, they aren't so tough, and if it is a carbon fork, maybe that too.
It's always possible, but again, it's better than having the entire bike stolen.
Old 11-09-16, 08:08 PM
GeneO 

It's always possible, but again, it's better than having the entire bike stolen.
Better yet a better mechanism to secure the bike.
Old 11-09-16, 08:14 PM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
because they don't work in America. simple.
Likes For Darth_Firebolt:
Old 11-09-16, 08:37 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3580 Post(s)
Liked 3,391 Times in 1,927 Posts
I often use the steer tube lock on my 1972 Raleigh Superbe for quick "in-and-out" trips. So far, it hasn't failed me:

Old 11-09-16, 08:38 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Simply locking the bike to itself does nothing to prevent someone from simply throwing the bike into the back of a truck or van. The lock can be dealt with later or if it can't be, then all every accessible part removed from the frame.
Old 11-09-16, 08:59 PM
prathmann

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Simply locking the bike to itself does nothing to prevent someone from simply throwing the bike into the back of a truck or van. The lock can be dealt with later or if it can't be, then all every accessible part removed from the frame.
Yes, I think one difference between the US and european countries is the likelihood that the potential thief has a pickup truck. In addition, far more bikes in Europe are used for short utility trips to the market where a relatively insecure lock is still likely to be adequate.
I've been using a very flimsy cable lock for my grocery and other market trips a few times a week and haven't had a bike stolen in over 30 years. It would be easy to cut but does guard against the guy who carries no tools but might be tempted to hop on an unlocked bike and ride off.
Old 11-09-16, 10:03 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2738 Post(s)
Liked 3,379 Times in 2,044 Posts
Hand-cuff would work too! But I still prefer the frame lock since it's part of the bike - nothing extra to carry (only a key).
But handcuffs are a tool of many interesting and exciting uses and can be used in other locations.
Old 11-09-16, 10:17 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Ditto, the prevalence of vehicles near most places where we'd leave a bike semi-locked. Thieves would just toss the bike into the pickup or trunk and deal with the wheel lock later.

In places where vehicles aren't within immediate reach of the bike, but I'd still like to at least slow down a jump and ride thief, I'll use a long Velcro strap or bungee cord wrapped around the wheel and frame. It'll only slow 'em down for a few moments but that's enough for the few situations where I'd use that trick.
Old 11-09-16, 11:00 PM
reppans

Bikes: Brompton M6R, Specialized Tricross Comp, Ellsworth Isis, Dahon Speed P8

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 16 Posts
I went to folding bike that's quicker/easier to fold-up and roll inside, than it is to lock to a pole. Alternatively, I can also unlock one of my frame hinges and just leave it outside and any would be thief would crash and burn if they tried to ride it away.
Old 11-10-16, 05:54 AM
Robert C

Bikes: This list got too long: several ‘bents, an urban utility e-bike, and a dahon D7 that my daughter has absconded with.

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 363 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 48 Posts
I have a frame lock on my utility/commuter bike. As others have noticed, it is useful for a quick step into a shop. There is also the point that the town I work in has very few regular bike racks anyways.

As seen above, the frame lock also supports a cable that latches to it for other, medium length, stops. In all it works well, but it is not an overnight, or high crime area, lock.
Old 11-10-16, 06:06 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Not only do these frame locks secure your rear wheel, they allow you to add a 6mm square link noose chain of lengths up to 1.5metres to further secure your bike to fixed objects and/or to secure your front wheel or saddle, etc.
Do they offer a clever way of stowing that chain while you are riding?
Old 11-10-16, 06:32 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
I used a simple cable lock for quick in and out type stops.
Old 11-10-16, 06:46 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1293 Post(s)
Liked 929 Times in 485 Posts
The best defense against ride-offs is being reminded, consistently, of their occurrence. Thanks, howa, for posting and "keeping us honest".
Old 11-10-16, 06:59 AM
ijsbrand

Bikes: 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Touring; 1980 Koga Miyata Gents Racer; 1980 Koga Miyata Roadspeed; and aiming for the rest of that year's brochure

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
[...] I'm really surprised that I don't see these locks at any of the bike shops. It seems that most average folks don't even know these types of locks exist.
Same reason as why bikes do not come with tenders, luggage carriers, or lights pre-installed. The olde bike seen just as sports equipment versus bike as a serious and useful means of daily transport conundrum.

How many bikes come with their chains protected against the weather in a standard encasing?
Old 11-10-16, 07:16 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Lock your bike to a sturdy object if you want to keep it. Use a stout lock to do so. I've had a standard cable cut when a bike was locked to a metal railing at school, and I've had a motorcycle dragged out of my driveway with a disc lock on the rear wheel and a U-lock on the front. If a thief wants your wheels the thief will find a way to get them. Make it more work for him than he'll think it's worth. While I like the idea of the Abus-type wheel lock it is not much of a deterrent in this country and while I might give one a chance in casual circumstances I'd be nervous the whole time.
Old 11-10-16, 08:24 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
Do they offer a clever way of stowing that chain while you are riding?
I've attached pics of what I use.
Attached Images
How I carry my locks.jpg (99.0 KB, 701 views)
How I carry my locks - 2.jpg (97.3 KB, 697 views)
1.5m Snake.jpg (100.3 KB, 696 views)

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.