Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

I know it's been asked before, but........ (Falcon)

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 09-04-22, 03:40 PM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts

I have been getting some older bikes and renovating them for a charity. A common bike has been older "15 speeds" with 5 cog rears, I have had 3 so far with Falcon freewheels. I want to get a tool to remove these. I understand from reading past posts that many people advise just going to the bike shop to have these removed, then getting rid of them and replacing with something else. I want to have the ability to get these off myself so I can service the bearings. The goal on these bikes is to get them back on the road at the lowest cost.

I have access to the Park FL5. As close as I can measure, this tool is about 1mm to large, though the same number of splines. My understanding is that the Park tool that they sell as a Falcon removal tool is even larger than this.

Some of my reading leads me to think that the tool sold as Shimano Boss will fit the Falcon. I found this ebay listing but they are out of stock. Kengine FR-04 Old Style Shimano Freewheel Remover Bike Tool fits FFS TL-FW20 | eBay

Can anyone verify that this is likely the tool I need, in which case I can start watching ebay for a used one?

BTW, how do you measure a spline tool, across the teeth (which would be a larger number) or across the gaps?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-04-22, 04:22 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
The Park website lists dimensions for their freewheel tools. See the FR-7.

https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...+%26+Freewheel
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 09-04-22, 10:12 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
I too came across a Falcon freewheel years back and the the Park one worked fine. I wasn't aware there are possibly many Falcon sizes, so I assume I got lucky.

In the past, I emailed Park directly for advice and received responses within a few hours. They have great technical support. I suppose you can send them a pic of the freewheel, maybe include a pic of a caliper across some easy to measure features, and they can recommend a product.

Last edited by MudPie; 09-04-22 at 10:33 PM.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 09-04-22, 10:21 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 118 Times in 91 Posts
Originally Posted by louky
... I want to have the ability to get these off myself so I can service the bearings. The goal on these bikes is to get them back on the road at the lowest cost.
Yup, I fully agree to buy the removal tool and be self sufficient, especially since it costs less than $10.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 09-04-22, 10:39 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,230 Times in 851 Posts
https://www.parktool.com/en-us/produ...+%26+Freewheel
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 09-05-22, 04:40 AM
louky

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks to everyone! I was confused by some previous posts where the poster bought the FR-7 and it was still too large. Apparently, there must have been an older Falcon hub that had a smaller diameter. I was also hampered by my difficulty in getting a measurement I trusted from trying to measure inside the freewheel itself. According to the Park site, a bike shop near me does have the FR-7 in stock I will be able to take the wheel there Tuesday morning and verify fit before purchase. I also have a Shimano equipped wheel from a 1990 Schwinn 5 speed that I suspect will take the FR-1.3 tool which I also will take to get a match.
Likes For louky: