Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Cyclery North Frame Jigs ID help

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Cyclery North Frame Jigs ID help

Old 01-24-22, 09:38 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
63rickert- Thanks for the replys. I now do remember being told that Rudy was an artist (currently my sandblaster is at my sculptor brother in law, as he has the space and compressor. he works with stone and wood). My late wife worked in the museum field and I've spent a lot of time with professional art people. Always admired those who could turn emotion into material in a way that brought emotion in others.

It would be nice to contact Scott. Do you have his contact you could share. I feel that I need to get the rest of the story and offer an apology of sorts. Andy
Old 01-24-22, 02:03 PM
63rickert

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1090 Post(s)
Liked 329 Times in 245 Posts
Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
63rickert- Thanks for the replys. I now do remember being told that Rudy was an artist (currently my sandblaster is at my sculptor brother in law, as he has the space and compressor. he works with stone and wood). My late wife worked in the museum field and I've spent a lot of time with professional art people. Always admired those who could turn emotion into material in a way that brought emotion in others.

It would be nice to contact Scott. Do you have his contact you could share. I feel that I need to get the rest of the story and offer an apology of sorts. Andy
As stated above just put his name in the search bar and you will get an address and phone.

No one owes anyone an apology. You are a survivor and a bike rider and so is the guy who built frames before you. You will find him a very positive and upbeat person.
Old 01-31-22, 10:11 AM
MikeBroz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is a timely thread as I've been just offered a Cyclery North bike. A lot of names in this thread are familiar. I grew up in Rogers Park & went to Sullivan in the 70s with Teo Seno, Rudy's son. Other friends of mine worked at and raced for Cyclery North. CN was the shop in area. This frame has a "paint by Edw. Weissler" sticker. Cool very well-made frame with shaved lugs & the signature Hellenic seat stays. It has a mix of components most of which will have to go. I wasn't looking for yet another bike but here we are. Unfortunately I haven't posted enough here to include photos.
Old 02-01-22, 12:03 PM
Si Jones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've also got a CN frame I recently bought. Has Hellenic stays and has PAUL HAHN with no. 4557 stamped into BB shell. Would Hahn be the name of the customer or the builder? It's Orange , Yellow , Silver / Pearlecent , Green and Blue. Looks Stunning . The guy I bought it from also sent a scan of a magazine article entitled THE MAN BEHIND THOSE MAGNIFICENT BIKING MACHINES. It goes on to say that he used DuPont's Imron paint as use by NASA. I'll hopefully be riding it at Velo Retro in the Lake District and also at Eroica Britannia , both this year. I'm sure it's going to stand out from the crowd. I'm in the same position as MIKEBROZ sadly, and can't upload any images.
Old 02-07-22, 09:55 AM
MikeBroz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Si Jones,
I've been able to get a bit more info about my frame. There were 2 builders out of Cyclery North. Scott Padiak and Paul Hahn. Eddy Weissler just painted the bikes.
Scott is still and active in cycling and remembers the jigs that started this discussion. Easy Google search. Scott's in Skokie. I sent pictures of my frame and Scott says it was built by Paul Hahn also. Hit me up mb@brosilow.com. We can compare notes & pictures. - MB
Old 04-03-22, 08:22 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4194 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
I do like to follow up on threads. The jig clean up and mods is done and the first frame off it is also done. It came out pretty straight so I'm good with the jig's alignment.

The mods were increasing the tube stand off from the jig's base plates, changing from a side of main tube contact to a centerline contact, widening the rear axle to a 137 width and generally doing a lot of cleaning and fastener replacements.

Here's a few shots of this. Andy

The raw materials waiting for rough band sawing.

Rough plans for the new tube clamps. Of course some of this "evolved" during fab.

Establishing the centerline stand off height.

Two tubes to confirm alignment and arrangement.

another view

Note the DT clamp is different. I realized that the fixed position DT clamp wouldn't be able to use the other clamp design, the DT angle WRT the clamp changes with tube diameter. So i made a nearly single point V contact.

This shows both the new axle studs and the bright AL colored shim block in the sliding clamp to bring the rear end on center and at the wider width.
Old 04-29-22, 09:20 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Skip- Thanks for the contact info. I've sent Lee an email about passing along my quarry to Al.

Doug- I think the young builder you speak of was Scott or his partner/buddy whose name escapes me. They worked at CN a couple of years before I got there. There was a big falling out, I only heard Eddy's side of the story and it wasn't a pleasant one. The split was so bad that when Eddy had his head injury (heavy box of ski stuff fell on his head) Scott and buddy came forward and told the Worker's Comp investigator that Eddy had been mugged thus no valid WC claim. It took over a year for WC to decide Eddy had been injured at work and release a payment. Eddy wasn't about to ever forget that Scott tried to scuttle the claim. I saw only one frame Scott and buddy had made after their leaving CN and that was because it had cracked at the seat stays contact with the seat tube (it was a Helenic style). Eddy was happy to point out the poor brazing and over heated joint to whoever was willing to listen. I stayed out of this situation as even being young I recognized a no win for me if I piped up no matter what I might have said.

RRB was about 12+ miles North of CN (and my apartment), along the shoreline. It sure had some fancy homes, golf courses and High end Euro car dealers. At one time the town (Wilmette or Winnetka?) had the highest per household income in the nation, or so I was told. Part of my surprise about the messy and disorganized frame shop basement was the contrast with the clean and over the top glitzy rest of the town.

When I first moved to Chicago it was late Jan early Feb and of course I brought a rideable bike (besides the bare frame that was my resume for the CN job) and looked forward to riding there. Very early on I found the riding to be flat and dull (late winter in Chicago has a lot of shades of grays with little else to look at) so when I hired on at CN I soon asked where they ride to get hills, and hopefully some green and browns. They told me of "the Ravines", said in somewhat hollowed tones. These were north on Sheridan, along the lake shore. On my next day off away I went North looking for these hills. I wasn't able to find them and again asked about where they were. The hollowed tones repeated the earlier location. Again I rode North and didn't find what I would have called "hollow toned hills". What I did find was about a 50' drop down to a creek that emptied into the lake, and the back up those 50'. In Chicago this was the big hill for many miles. My plans to woo my girlfriend away from Chicago began. Andy
Hi Andrew! As a native son of the neighborhood of Cyclery North and of riding Sheridan Road, Green Bay Road, and the Park District paths down into the Loop, I can say you did indeed find The Ravines. My first rides through them I was about 14 on my 3 speed, and I did it dozens of times if not hundreds up into my 20's, on my tubular equipped Rossignoli. I've known where they were from much earlier days, since my dad used to drive us up through them on the way to buy ice cream on Green Bay Road. I went to high-school a little south from CN, to university in the first suburb north of Chicago, and on many afternoons after school pedaled south along Lake Michigan to the Loop and back.

Later I started riding up to Lake Forest/Lake Bluff and back, still living in Rogers Park/Edgewater. Sheridan Road in Highland Park and Lake Forest offers a lot more hilly sections. Still not like The Dells or the Foothills, but hey, they are hills, over 60-foot cliffs above Lake Michigan. Doug and all, the RRB shop was on Green Bay Road in Kenilworth. I also have great memories of being a customer of the Turin store on Clark Street, the one Ron Boi and those other guys were photographed in front of. Almost any day my bike could have been leaned up in front of it. I haunted the place. I loved that they had a free high-pressure air line!
Old 04-29-22, 09:32 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1854 Post(s)
Liked 661 Times in 504 Posts
Skip- Thanks for the contact info. I've sent Lee an email about passing along my quarry to Al.

Doug- I think the young builder you speak of was Scott or his partner/buddy whose name escapes me. They worked at CN a couple of years before I got there. There was a big falling out, I only heard Eddy's side of the story and it wasn't a pleasant one. The split was so bad that when Eddy had his head injury (heavy box of ski stuff fell on his head) Scott and buddy came forward and told the Worker's Comp investigator that Eddy had been mugged thus no valid WC claim. It took over a year for WC to decide Eddy had been injured at work and release a payment. Eddy wasn't about to ever forget that Scott tried to scuttle the claim. I saw only one frame Scott and buddy had made after their leaving CN and that was because it had cracked at the seat stays contact with the seat tube (it was a Helenic style). Eddy was happy to point out the poor brazing and over heated joint to whoever was willing to listen. I stayed out of this situation as even being young I recognized a no win for me if I piped up no matter what I might have said.

RRB was about 12+ miles North of CN (and my apartment), along the shoreline. It sure had some fancy homes, golf courses and High end Euro car dealers. At one time the town (Wilmette or Winnetka?) had the highest per household income in the nation, or so I was told. Part of my surprise about the messy and disorganized frame shop basement was the contrast with the clean and over the top glitzy rest of the town.

When I first moved to Chicago it was late Jan early Feb and of course I brought a rideable bike (besides the bare frame that was my resume for the CN job) and looked forward to riding there. Very early on I found the riding to be flat and dull (late winter in Chicago has a lot of shades of grays with little else to look at) so when I hired on at CN I soon asked where they ride to get hills, and hopefully some green and browns. They told me of "the Ravines", said in somewhat hollowed tones. These were north on Sheridan, along the lake shore. On my next day off away I went North looking for these hills. I wasn't able to find them and again asked about where they were. The hollowed tones repeated the earlier location. Again I rode North and didn't find what I would have called "hollow toned hills". What I did find was about a 50' drop down to a creek that emptied into the lake, and the back up those 50'. In Chicago this was the big hill for many miles. My plans to woo my girlfriend away from Chicago began. Andy
Hi Andrew! As a native son of the neighborhood of Cyclery North and of riding Sheridan Road, Green Bay Road, and the Park District paths down into the Loop, I can say you did indeed find The Ravines. My first rides through them I was about 14 on my 3 speed, and I did it dozens of times if not hundreds up into my 20's, on my tubular equipped Rossignoli. I've known where they were from much earlier days, since my dad used to drive us up through them on the way to buy ice cream on Green Bay Road. I went to high-school a little south from CN, to university in the first suburb north of Chicago, and on many afternoons after school pedaled south along Lake Michigan to the Loop and back.

Later I started riding up to Lake Forest/Lake Bluff and back, still living in Rogers Park/Edgewater. Sheridan Road in Highland Park and Lake Forest offers a lot more hilly sections. Still not like The Dells or the Foothills, but hey, they are hills, over 60-foot cliffs above Lake Michigan. Doug and all, the RRB shop was on Green Bay Road in Kenilworth. I also have great memories of being a customer of the Turin store on Clark Street, the one Ron Boi and those other guys were photographed in front of. Almost any day my bike could have been leaned up in front of it. I haunted the place. I loved that they had a free high-pressure air line!
Old 11-23-22, 07:08 PM
heidelbergensis 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 113 Times in 46 Posts
Greetings all!

This thread has been a huge aid in piecing together some of the provenance of a Cyclery North-decaled "hellenic"-stayed tourer that I recently acquired after a long period of waiting and watching. I plan on starting a thread on this bike in the next few days while I wait for it arrive in the mail, and will add a link here once that thread is live, but I was wondering in the meantime if anyone here with a connection to the shop might be willing or able to assist in providing some information? I'd be happy to discuss here on in a DM! The bike is a real time machine, looks to have been used very little since new.