Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Trek 760 Purple

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Trek 760 Purple

Search this Thread

Old 06-06-21, 04:30 AM
Peroni

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
Trek 760 Purple

Another bicycle from my favorite studio. https://www.ebay.com/itm/164869337441
I tried to make a fair offer without getting too cheap, $750 plus $85 shipping.
The seller suggests an original build in the description, they would know better than me if it is.
I don't have the knowledge build a bicycle up from just the frame, either.

I know the 760 is popular here, and I like it too, the frame looks like my size, and I like the paint.
Mostly, I tried to look at the pictures carefully, the Victory components are familiar to me, and drivetrain doesn't look worn, little or no corrosion seems unusual.
The freewheel looks small, but no hills to climb here, and I see another set of self extracting crank bolts for me.

Seems like the bicycle is part 84/85 from the catalogs, and Gyro-Master hubs, I'm guessing cup and cone, but?
The seller doesn't claim that the bicycle is an original factory build, now that I think of it.
I still like it, even though I don't know exactly what I've bought, or how it came to be.

Thanks for the help Mr. Moderator, I've forgotten to mention sooner.
Old 06-06-21, 04:46 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
@Peroni - The 760 of that year, 1984, was outfitted with Suntour Superbe Pro, per the brochure. Notes from Larry Osborn 1984 Selling prices of Trek bikes (vintage-trek.com)

I have on that was/is a project bike. It was rattle canned black with the decals masked off. I found a front fork from a 1985 and have assembled it with mostly Superbe Pro. Hubs are next.
If it is the right size for you, you will find it very competitive with the Italians of the same era.
Old 06-06-21, 05:23 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts
pic assist

Likes For cb400bill:
Old 06-06-21, 05:25 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3090 Post(s)
Liked 6,593 Times in 3,781 Posts

Old 06-06-21, 05:55 AM
Peroni

I saw your rattle can painted frame when I was searching and trying to learn about the 760. I've been looking at the Vintage Trek site, and knew it wasn't correct for 84, but not why, exactly.
$750 is a little bit of money, and I've probably stepped past my knowledge base.

Last edited by Peroni; 06-06-21 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 07:23 AM
Hobbiano 

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 346 Times in 230 Posts
There was a 760 LE in 1984. It could have been an '84 1/2. It was full Campagnolo Victory with Wolber Aspen tubulars. There was an article about it in Bicycling magazine. There was also a 500 series tested in the same article equipped with Campagnolo Triomphe.
Yours looks all original except the wheels. They would have been Wolber Aspen tubulars with Victory hubs. Also the Reynolds 531P sticker is unusual and is missing the Reynolds sticker on the fork. Mine had both but they were 531C as were others I've seen.
I bought mine new in '84 or '85. It was an '84 model. I still have it today, although the wheels have been replaced with clinchers and Specialized cartridge bearing hubs, and the headset and bottom bracket replaced with Campagnolo sealed components. I replaced the saddle a few times and I don't remember what was on it originally. I had it repainted about 20 years ago as it had several areas of rust around the top tube cable guides and a few other spots.
Here's mine as it looks today:

Old 06-06-21, 07:35 AM
Hobbiano 

The '85 760 was nearly the same except the color was beaujolais (maroon) instead of purple. And the rims were Matrix tubulars.
Old 06-06-21, 07:39 AM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Do keep in mind that many if not most Treks of this era came with parts not listed in the brochure. My ‘85 460 and ‘86 760 are prime examples. Trek made the disclaimer on brochures that sometimes this would happen and the parts would be equal to or better than shown in the brochure.

Lovely 760! I dig that color.
Old 06-06-21, 09:34 AM
Hobbiano 

I found the Bicycle Guide article on the 760 LE & 510 LE scanned it and posted it here: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post22090281

Last edited by Hobbiano; 06-06-21 at 10:51 AM.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 06-06-21, 10:04 AM
Peroni

Thanks for the extra information on Vintage Trek, I was a little nervous because I did some research, and guessed the rest from pictures on eBay. It's nice to be able look at a bicycle and just buy it with a CC, and then wait for it to be delivered, but it's easy to get carried away, too.

The seller has very good rating, and I sent a message asking about why it didn't match the catalog build, after I made the offer and paid, a little embarrassing to admit.
He said that Trek had a strong presence in MN during the early years, and that he has run across some unique original builds. And that Penn Cycle was the original Trek dealer, and requests for different groups were possible.
And because the bar tape is the original Bennotto that matches the catalog, and the brake levers are Campagnolo, that he is still very confident this build is how the bike was delivered.

I'm happy that I asked, because I sure didn't know why it was thought to be as originally delivered.
I've read that tubular tires are much better today, but I don't have any experience with them, so the wheels are fine with me.

I did notice that a decal seemed to be missing on the fork, but not that the pictured one is unusual, or that Trek had a disclaimer in the brochures.
There's plenty more that I don't know, too.
Old 06-06-21, 10:28 AM
Hobbiano 

Yours is as originally equipped from Trek, with the exception of the wheels. See the Bicycle Guide article I posted in the link above, and the fact I have and bought new in '84 -'85 one just like it, and I still wonder about the Reynolds 531P decal. I doubt it was specially ordered, as the shop I bought mine from had several to choose from, with the Victory group. Mine was purchased new in the box.

Last edited by Hobbiano; 06-06-21 at 10:50 AM.
Old 06-06-21, 11:43 AM
Peroni

Thanks Hobbiano for the link and scanned pages, I have seen part of the Trek Appreciation Thread, but not all of it, and I will read the Bicycle Guide article more carefully later.
Yes, I believe you are correct about the wheels not being part of the original build. I read the message from the seller again, and he didn't actually say anything about the wheels, or Gyro-Master hubs.

He did ask me if I wanted to cancel , but I decided to complete the purchase that I made, and told him to ship bicycle.
The wheels are probably better for me, I want them to be original, but I guess I know they aren't.
Old 06-06-21, 12:17 PM
Hobbiano 

As inflated as prices have been in the Covid era, you could have payed a lot more for less.
As far as the wheels go, it was common for someone to swap the tubulars for clinchers or to buy a second set of wheels for everyday riding.
The 760 is a great bike and beautifully put together. Quick handling, yes, but not nervous or apt to do anything you didn't want it to do. And the faster you go, the more stable it becomes. And you only have to think what you want it to do, and it does it, Do be aware that it has plenty of pedal overlap though, so be careful when maneuvering at slow speed, that you toe clip or shoe doesn't hit the front wheel. That's only a concern at slow speed, as you'll never turn the bars enough for that to happen once you're up and rolling.
Likes For Hobbiano:
Old 06-06-21, 02:44 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
I'm pretty sure my 1984 Trek 760 came as equipped, save for the original 7 speed Suntour freewheel (12-21) being swapped out for a 6 speed (12-26). I suspect the original owner swapped out the wheels he was riding for clinchers, because the Wolber Aspin tubular rims that I received it with appear to be pristine (I delaced them and recycled the Suntour Sprint Hubs with H+Son TB14 clincher rims).

Might be my favorite rider right now. Like Hobbiano says quick handling, but not nervous (or twitchy, as my Ironman bikes are). I changed the seat to a Brooks Pro, swapped out the D/T shifters for Barcons and put on a more old leg friendly 7 speed freewheel (13-28).

Last edited by Vintage_Cyclist; 06-08-21 at 12:51 PM.
Old 06-07-21, 07:50 AM
Peroni

The brown Pro Brooks broken in and treated with the conditioner looks perfect with the burnt red tape, and a great color contrast with purple, I think. The tan wall tires and matching tape with white brake hoods and black saddle looks fine with purple, too, the color contrast seems relaxing to me, somehow, and I like it.

The first listing for bicycle I bought was $1,485 or best offer, it's a separate number, but can be found by searching title description, I may have seen it two weeks ago at that price, but didn't stop too look at.
The auction pictures are enough to see a little bit, and I didn't see much rust or corrosion, not lots of damaged fasteners either, and the chainrings don't look worn, that much seems pretty luck for me.
I think the wheels must be the same as on the 660 or 670 in 85, fine for me, and I can use Alligator Hardshell tires with conti race tubes that hold air for a long time.

Thanks again Hobbiano for the scanned Bicycle Guide article, I didn't know the differences between Victory and Triomphe, and I'll read it a few more times to be sure.
Likes For Peroni:
Old 06-07-21, 08:58 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1607 Post(s)
Liked 2,216 Times in 1,103 Posts
Hobbiano Thankis for the calibration. Didn't know about the LE models.
I have noticed the p vs c on the Reynolds sticker too.
Old 06-07-21, 02:34 PM
pcb 

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 377 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 286 Posts
FWIW this seller went from $1,484 to $1,284 before dropping the price to $799. Kudos to the seller for allowing OP to grab a great bike for a lot less.
Old 06-08-21, 06:46 AM
Peroni

I really like the appearance of the frame and fork, with the tubing not large like some of the aluminum frames, and the purple is fairly neutral, like burnt red or bronze.
And the decal branding isn't out there too much, I need to find some good touch up paint for a few paint chips, auto supply I guess.
It dose have some pedal overlap that Hobbiano pointed out, I'll probably remove the toe clips anyway, or use flat MB pedals with the pins removed.

I don't see evidence of the bike having been serviced, pulling the crank and BB, only guessing.
I bought a Park repair stand, and two BB wrenches, HCW-4 and 5, for a Guerciotti Tourist, I thought it was the same as Sprint, but it's stamped Tourist.
And I have a cone wrench set, and the spanner, and few other Park bicycle tools.
The 9mm self extracting bolts might not as foolproof as a crank puller, I have good quality tools and think I can pull the crank successfully, with caution.
CorrosionX for a few days, and a small amount of heat, if needed, not too much more than boiling water.
I bought Park tool anti-seize, and I think it should be used on the crank square tapers, on reassembly.
Old 06-08-21, 07:16 AM
tendency

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 236 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 104 Posts
Originally Posted by Peroni
Another bicycle from my favorite studio. https://www.ebay.com/itm/164869337441
I tried to make a fair offer without getting too cheap, $750 plus $85 shipping.
The seller suggests an original build in the description, they would know better than me if it is.
I don't have the knowledge build a bicycle up from just the frame, either.

I know the 760 is popular here, and I like it too, the frame looks like my size, and I like the paint.
Mostly, I tried to look at the pictures carefully, the Victory components are familiar to me, and drivetrain doesn't look worn, little or no corrosion seems unusual.
The freewheel looks small, but no hills to climb here, and I see another set of self extracting crank bolts for me.

Seems like the bicycle is part 84/85 from the catalogs, and Gyro-Master hubs, I'm guessing cup and cone, but?
The seller doesn't claim that the bicycle is an original factory build, now that I think of it.
I still like it, even though I don't know exactly what I've bought, or how it came to be.

Thanks for the help Mr. Moderator, I've forgotten to mention sooner.
Those mid 80s 760/770s are sweet frames - 100% Trek investment cast lugs, silver brazed and either Reynolds 531C or 531P - the P ones being much rarer. Yours is in very nice condition - great bike.
Likes For tendency:
Old 06-08-21, 09:38 AM
momoman

Bikes: 2013 Wilier Gran Turismo, 1983 Trek 760, 80's Colnago Super, 90's De Rosa SLX, 2009 Waterford 22 Series Singlespeed, 85 Medici Pro Strada, De Rosa Alumino frameset, Dave Molten Fuso frameset, 70's beater Peugeot PX10, Zizzo Liberte, 2022 Yoeleo R12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 92 Posts
I learned a lot about the 760 recently from this thread and "The Trek 760 Appreciation Thread....".

I bought a 1983 Trek 760 from a former co-worker only 3 months or so after he bought it. He was a spendthrift and bought everything and suddenly needed money for a newborn baby soon to arrive. I think he paid $900 out the door and he sold it to me for $500 back in 1983. I was actually going to go out and buy either a Masi Gran Criterium or Gios Torino but he begged me to buy the bike off him. It wasn't the bike I wanted but I slowly fell in love with it. It has always inspired confidence and just feels right.

My 1983 760 never had Reynolds 531 stickers on the fork. Mine came with Suntour Superbe hubs and Mavic G40 clincher rims. My coworker had ordered the bike with clinchers instead of tubular wheels. I accidentally ran over my front wheel back in the 80's when I put my bike on my roof rack and forgot I left the front wheel on the ground. I replaced the wheels with Campy NR small flange with Mavic G40 rims. I wish I had kept the Suntour Superbe rear wheel and the front hub but I gave them away.

I rode the bike from 1983 until 1993, then stopped riding for almost 20 years. I started riding again in 2013 when all my cycling buddies from the 80's got back into cycling but they all bought modern carbon bikes. My 760 was hanging in the back of the garage for 20 years but I overhauled it and rode it again. Since 2013 I have collected 10+ vintage bikes but my Trek 760 is my favorite. It's the one I rode in the 80's with my buddies and we rode all over SoCal before we each got married. I have put a Brooks B17 saddle on it and Panaracer Pasela 700x28mm tires. It rides like a dream.

@Vintage_Cyclist, those H+Son TB14 rims look sweet on your bike. I have a pair plus some Campy NR small and large flange hubs for a future wheel project. I'm thinking of putting silver rims on my 760 now along with tan wall tires after seeing your picture. Which 7-speed freewheel did you put on your 760? Is it a Suntour Ultra 7? Is your rear spacing 126 OLD or did you spread the frame? I would love to put a 7-speed on my 1983 760 with 126 OLD.

@Hobbiano, thank you for posting the article about the 1984 760 LE in the other thread. I never knew about that model.
Old 06-08-21, 09:55 AM
Peroni

Reynolds 531-Material DB-RoHS-Reach

The page seemed commercial heavy, so I didn't try to copy a live link.
Everyone probably already knew these thee, except for me. I haven't found anything on what qualifies 531p, exactly. My frame should be 531n (Novice).
531c (Competition)
531st (Special Tourist)
531ATB (All Terrain Bike)

Last edited by Peroni; 06-08-21 at 10:18 AM.
Old 06-08-21, 10:04 AM
tendency

Originally Posted by Peroni
Reynolds 531-Material DB-RoHs-Reach

The page seemed commercial heavy, so I didn't try to copy a live link.
Everyone probably already knew these thee, except for me. I haven't found anything on what qualifies 531p, exactly. My frame should be 531n (Novice).
531c (Competition)
531st (Special Tourist)
531ATB (All Terrain Bike)
531P is 531 Professional. Little thinner draw than 531C for some of the tubes.

Last edited by tendency; 06-08-21 at 10:07 AM.
Likes For tendency:
Old 06-08-21, 10:23 AM
Hobbiano 

Originally Posted by momoman
Which 7-speed freewheel did you put on your 760? Is it a Suntour Ultra 7? Is your rear spacing 126 OLD or did you spread the frame? I would love to put a 7-speed on my 1983 760 with 126 OLD.
I used a Suntour 7-speed ultra on mine and it worked fine. I never had to spread the frame.
Old 06-08-21, 12:50 PM
Vintage_Cyclist

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 512 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 176 Posts
Originally Posted by momoman
Which 7-speed freewheel did you put on your 760? Is it a Suntour Ultra 7? Is your rear spacing 126 OLD or did you spread the frame? I would love to put a 7-speed on my 1983 760 with 126 OLD..
My 1984 is 126 OLD and originally equipped with a 7 speed corn cob. I'm running it with a 13x28 7 speed freewheel, the now discontinued Shimano hyperglide HG37. Any 7 speed should fit that frame.
Old 06-08-21, 02:23 PM
tendency

Originally Posted by Vintage_Cyclist
My 1984 is 126 OLD and originally equipped with a 7 speed corn cob. I'm running it with a 13x28 7 speed freewheel, the now discontinued Shimano hyperglide HG37. Any 7 speed should fit that frame.
..assuming you have the correct freehub cassette to go with it..

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.