Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Framebuilders
Reload this Page >

Geometry Cargo Fork Trail And Rake Numbers

Notices
Framebuilders Thinking about a custom frame? Lugged vs Fillet Brazed. Different Frame materials? Newvex or Pacenti Lugs? why get a custom Road, Mountain, or Track Frame? Got a question about framebuilding? Lets discuss framebuilding at it's finest.

Old 01-28-23, 05:03 PM
Tdotbikes

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts

I am in the planning stages of building my own cargo fork similar to the popular Crust Clydesdale. These forks use a 20" BMX wheel and have a solid rack attached. I know this is not the best cargo bike solution.
I was wondering if I could get an opinion on how much rake should be used? The bike I plan to use has a head tube angle of 71 and I would like to carry approx. 25-50lbs. I am using an online bicycle trail calculator to play with the numbers but I am not sure what would be best for this type of project. Any thoughts?
Old 01-29-23, 12:59 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
with a bmx wheel and 42mm offset, the Crust fork has fairly low trail. Low trail is good with a front load. It may be more comfortable to steer with something up front vs. no-load, but it generally only takes a couple of pounds to slow down the steering enough. For example, a lock or spare tire is usually enough. For 50 pounds, you might feel better with a little more rake, but maybe just 45mm
Old 01-29-23, 05:51 PM
Tdotbikes

Originally Posted by unterhausen
with a bmx wheel and 42mm offset, the Crust fork has fairly low trail. Low trail is good with a front load. It may be more comfortable to steer with something up front vs. no-load, but it generally only takes a couple of pounds to slow down the steering enough. For example, a lock or spare tire is usually enough. For 50 pounds, you might feel better with a little more rake, but maybe just 45mm
This helps immensely. I wasn’t sure if I wanted more or less trail with a heavier load up front. Thanks so much!
Old 03-08-23, 07:29 AM
Tdotbikes

I ended up with 44mm of trail. I used Columbus Unicrown fork blades on top and a set of heavy duty chain stays below the rack. The rest of the tubes are .035 straight gauge 4130. I made my own brake mount. This is what I have so far.

Tdotbike on Instagram for more pics

Last edited by Tdotbikes; 03-08-23 at 07:45 AM.
Likes For Tdotbikes:
Old 03-08-23, 07:28 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,662 Times in 2,496 Posts
Thanks for the pictures, that looks great