Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Tire width staggering on front/rear?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-11, 05:01 AM
EdIsMe

Bikes: 2011 Neuvation FC100, 2013 Mercier Kilo TT Pro, 1984 Peugeot SV-L

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Would there be any advantages/disadvantages to running 1 size skinnier tire on the front?
I.e. 20c front/23c rear?

How would this compare to running either 20c or 23c on both? (Currently running 23c on both).

Also, I'm 5'5" and 145 lbs so I'm a relatively small/light rider.
Old 07-07-11, 05:07 AM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
From Sheldon Brown,

Mixing/Matching Tires
Most bikes come with identical tires front and rear. This is all right for general use, but if you want to optimize your bike, you should consider using different tires front and rear. The front and rear tires have different loadings and different requirements.

Narrower Front, Wider Rear
If lightness is the primary goal, tire width/weight is limited by the risk of pinch cut flats, a.k.a. "snake bites." Since there is more weight carried on the rear tire, you can get away with a slightly narrower tire in front than you can in back.
Wider Front, Narrower Rear
A wider front tire makes sense in many applications, however, when handling and ride comfort are considered. A wider tire will generally provide better cornering traction than a narrower one, assuming appropriate inflation pressure.
A wider tire also provides superior shock absorbency. I personally prefer a slightly wider tire in front, since I suffer from some wrist discomfort on occasion.

https://sheldonbrown.com/tires.html
Old 07-07-11, 05:24 AM
BetweenRides
Dog Chaser

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Seven Evergreen, Merlin Cyrene, Trek TCT 5000, Trek Checkpoint

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Exactly the reasoning for the Conti Attack/Force combo. I know several who use 23 front/25 rear and will do it myself if I can ever find a decent price on 25's when I need tires.
Old 07-07-11, 09:11 AM
nhluhr
John Wayne Toilet Paper

Bikes: BH carbon, Ritchey steel, Kona aluminum

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been using 23 front and 25 rear since i'm a big guy. I find it more comfortable than the 23 in rear and using a wider rear tire doesn't have nearly the aero drawback like it would in the front (if you're concerned about that).