Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any other Burley Travoy style trailers out there? Or homemade ideas?

Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

Old 08-23-12, 05:53 AM
trrubicon06

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

I like the handtruck style trailer idea of the Burley Travoy, but I don't like the price. I was thinking about using an aluminum folding hand truck, but most use plastic parts where the wheels fold and I don't trust it. All I want is to put a suitcase on it for towing behind my brompton. When not riding the brompton is stowed in the suitcase.

Cart style in question...

Likes For trrubicon06:
Old 08-24-12, 06:02 AM
maximumrob

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD8 (hot roddin') and a Scott SUB40 (commuter/tow-truck)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't know how fast you want to ride, but towing anything is harder than just putting a suitcase on top of a heavy duty rack.

I'm sure the Burley unit rolls easily enough, but the wind resistance will wear on you a bit.
Old 08-25-12, 05:04 AM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
Originally Posted by maximumrob
I don't know how fast you want to ride, but towing anything is harder than just putting a suitcase on top of a heavy duty rack.

I'm sure the Burley unit rolls easily enough, but the wind resistance will wear on you a bit.
I respectfully disagree with the above statements. Putting a suit case on a heavy duty rack makes the bike top end heavy, which makes the bike harder to handle and unsteady. A trailer is a better choice, which you probably know already since you asked about a trailer.

I have a Burley Travoy and the idea of wind resistance never crossed my mind. Theoretically I guess it is there but just never noticed it. Pulling the Travoy never wears me out and I pack it quite full. In fact of all the trailers I have ever had this is the best designed, easiest one to pull. The versatility is great. I just purchased a Brompton but have yet to pull the Travoy but I am sure it will be fine.

Sorry I can't offer anything on an alternative as I really don't know. Though there are features that really make this trailer work well. For instance I actually flipped the trailer last week while riding. I had it packed really weird with weight not centered, coming off a curb, down a hill, around a corner way too fast for the conditions and terrain and the trailer flipped over and my bike stayed upright which was amazing in of itself. More amazingly the hinge didn't break. I was able to stop flip the trailer over and keep riding (much slower this time). This was 100% human error.

The point is the hinge is designed for this flexibility and maybe some other design would have not had this. Other features I really like is how small it folds and how the wheels are removable. It really is a great trailer but I do agree costs quite a bit.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.
Old 08-25-12, 09:06 AM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
I respectfully disagree with the above statements. Putting a suit case on a heavy duty rack makes the bike top end heavy, which makes the bike harder to handle and unsteady. A trailer is a better choice, which you probably know already since you asked about a trailer.

I have a Burley Travoy and the idea of wind resistance never crossed my mind. Theoretically I guess it is there but just never noticed it. Pulling the Travoy never wears me out and I pack it quite full. In fact of all the trailers I have ever had this is the best designed, easiest one to pull. The versatility is great. I just purchased a Brompton but have yet to pull the Travoy but I am sure it will be fine.

Sorry I can't offer anything on an alternative as I really don't know. Though there are features that really make this trailer work well. For instance I actually flipped the trailer last week while riding. I had it packed really weird with weight not centered, coming off a curb, down a hill, around a corner way too fast for the conditions and terrain and the trailer flipped over and my bike stayed upright which was amazing in of itself. More amazingly the hinge didn't break. I was able to stop flip the trailer over and keep riding (much slower this time). This was 100% human error.

The point is the hinge is designed for this flexibility and maybe some other design would have not had this. Other features I really like is how small it folds and how the wheels are removable. It really is a great trailer but I do agree costs quite a bit.

Hopefully you will find a solution to your problem.
Thank you...that was a bit more informative and helpful, lol.

I actually have design I working on should work pretty good for my purpose. It's based around a folding handtruck that I already own. I've found 12-1/2" wheels and tires and plan on using the Burley hitch components for attaching. Axles are my only concern at the moment. I'd like then quick release, but not sure the best method.
Old 09-03-12, 08:41 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Here's a preview of my Travoy style trailer project...

Likes For trrubicon06:
Old 09-04-12, 12:04 AM
badmother

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by trrubicon06
Here's a preview of my Travoy style trailer project...

Great project! Could we have the details plse?? "Before" picture of the cart? Close up of the wheels and wheel atatchment? Would like to know how fast and easy it is to collapse if nescesary.
Old 09-04-12, 07:31 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Don't have a before, but looked like this...

Here's the back side. Using clevis pins for a quick release. (Don't mind the washers...used them to figure out spacer size for a tight fit)

Wheels and clevis pins removed...

Folded with wheels removed...

Folded with wheels attached for the heck of it...

More to come. Still working on the hitch components since Amazon is taking forever with my Burley hitch parts.
Old 09-05-12, 12:24 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Been thinking about this type of solutions for many years. I tend to put wheels on everything . Bf has got a similar cart that he is not using. I have been eying that for some time now, I`ll show him the pictures.
Old 09-07-12, 06:59 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Update...

Burley Travoy seatpost hitch and a round tube trailer flex connector. The tube is a 27.2mm seatpost that I cut and the end clamped to the trailer is the handlebar clamp from a 26mm stem. The seatpost tube is pressed into the stem. I plan on replacing the center bolt with something low profile and replacing one of the stem screw with a knob for loosening for easier folding.

I still need to figure out a front kickstand, since the bigger wheels make it sit taller. All in all, I'm pretty happy with it...very stable when towing.
Likes For trrubicon06:
Old 09-10-12, 12:50 PM
jdoff

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Could you say where you found the flex connector that fits into the Burley hitch? I think I found most of the other parts you've used.

https://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...7395_200497395
https://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...ct_13794_13794
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0038LPOD6

I'm very interested in this project, because I like the idea of the Travoy but not the expense. Do you have bags that you use with this, or do you just haul boxes?
Old 09-10-12, 01:13 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Travoy seatpost hitch...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0073R...p_s_a_1&sr=8-1

Burley flex connector for round tube(what I used)...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GS...7303546&sr=8-1

Burley flex connector for square tube...
https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B001GS...7303546&sr=8-2

I'm still in the testing phase. I found a dry bag backpack that fits pretty good and still allows me to use as a backpack.

One piece of advice is to keep most of the weight towards the bottom. I'm trying to figure a way to lock the stem in place when using, to allow more weight up top.

I also modified my original mounting of the axles...using the original hole location caused the plastic to flex with heavy weight. Ill post a picture of this when I get home.
Likes For trrubicon06:
Old 09-10-12, 01:20 PM
jdoff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I was thinking with the stem, maybe you could drill a hole through the stem and handle and then use a pin to keep the whole thing from rotating under load. That might weaken that area though.

How easy is it to balance? I'd imagine it works best if you can center the load over the wheels, but don't have a feel for how difficult that is to accomplish.
Old 09-10-12, 01:41 PM
jdoff

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Just found this:

https://www.wike.ca/cargo_speedy_shopper.php

$100 plus the cost of a hitch (looks like the Burley would work, or they sell one for $25).

Last edited by jdoff; 09-10-12 at 01:44 PM.
Old 09-10-12, 06:15 PM
trrubicon06

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by jdoff
Just found this:

https://www.wike.ca/cargo_speedy_shopper.php

$100 plus the cost of a hitch (looks like the Burley would work, or they sell one for $25).
Yea, I came across this during my research. I just didn't like the idea of the 16" wheels with my brompton. I actually contacted them through email about buying without the wheels, but never received a reply. With the hitch and shipping it's around $150 for this one.
Old 09-12-12, 12:56 AM
badmother

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We own Bromptons and want Travoy`s (but not the price) and have done some serious DIYìng in the past so we are following your thread closely!

What we are discussing is that we would not be comfortable with connecting the towbar this high up on the B`s. We all use extended seatpost so we worry about them being over loaded already. If you do not need to fold the bike completely every dayyou could slide the hitch down a bit, not sure how much seatpost you need to insert to keep the bike folded.

Is there a way to connect the trailer to the bike instead of to the seatpost?

Do you need to pull the handle all the way out most days? Could you leave that for the days you want to transport something tall (and just secure it with some zip ties or welcro) and take the advantage of a lower and also stronger (and easyer to connect lower- like on the bike) trailer for most days? Just asking.

Really looking forward to seeing your new solution for connecting the wheels.
Old 09-25-12, 09:45 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Years ago there was a product called TrailorOn that I'm certain Burly most have copied the idea. Unfortunately, the company went bankrupt by I have one that was made for my Dahon. It works very well but I never really used it. The good thing about the device was that it could use any push cart or even a shopping carriage.

All you need is a farily long PVC pipe and two thick rubber bands.

https://www.rovingfestival.com/equipm...andtruck.shtml
Old 04-18-14, 05:04 PM
souperhero

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for this,
Figured it out from the prior posters - I had a travoy and the folding foot broke so I want something stronger.
I am looking for the best hand cart now.
Thanks

Last edited by souperhero; 04-18-14 at 05:30 PM.
Old 02-06-15, 02:50 AM
Hinge

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I would love to hear what ever became of this project. It sure looks promising!
Old 06-30-15, 03:56 AM
quuxman

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey trrubicon06, your custom trailer is gorgeous. Looks much better than Wike's Speedy Cart, and vastly better than a Travoy. It also has the advantage over the Speedy with the round tubing where the attachment arm clamps, so you can easily change the angle of it.

What would you say the capacity of your trailer is, and how much did it end up weighing? Would you by any chance be interested in making another to sell? Since I suspect you wouldn't be interested in selling one, I would be also very grateful to get your parts list, and an explanation of how you put the folding bottom together.
Old 07-01-15, 12:05 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,354 Times in 861 Posts
looks like some Burly parts : the Travoy seat post fitting and the elastomer for the round tube tow bar of their regular trailers .

the current kid/cargo trailers use a square tube tow bar.. the rest is fabricated using a few parts sourced from a handle bar Stem.
Old 07-18-15, 10:24 AM
Steve1631

Bikes: Serotta Fierte - Bike Friday Pocket Rocket

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I love your idea! Can you give us the end of the story? Axle mounting? Seat post design? Thank you!
Old 09-25-15, 05:13 PM
Korina
Happy banana slug

Location: Arcata, California, U.S., North America, Earth, Saggitarius Arm, Milky Way

Bikes: 1984 Araya MB 261, 1992 Specialized Rockhopper Sport, 1993 Hard Rock Ultra, 1994 Trek Multitrack 750, 1995 Trek Singletrack 930

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1524 Post(s)
Liked 1,513 Times in 906 Posts
What a brilliant idea! It looks like the OP hasn't been here since Feb. Bummer. I ran to the Harbor Freight website, and they have that exact hand truck on sale for $29, 150 lb. capacity.
Old 02-09-16, 01:04 PM
bikebikebike

Bikes: Downtube IX NS&FS, Dahon Speed8Pro/Matrix/Curve, Brom S2L,Montague Para, ICE-XL w/Rollie/Schlumpf, Trident Spike, ebikes, BFSatRDay

Quoted: 172 Post(s)
Liked 94 Times in 80 Posts
I was looking at a broken Burley sold for parts and unfortunately their hinge parts are not available
beyond the common consumables. They were very nice about discussing this and I don't fault them for that.

If youre fabricating your own trailer they have a lot of axles and wheels available as does the Wike site.
The axles and wheels are also available from wheelchair supply sites.
The Burley that I was looking at had failed due to severe overloading and a use well beyond it's design parameters.
(as a two wheel cart with a 60lb load that was dropped and fell on the towing arm, breaking the cast AL top hinge)

Harbor freight (online) currently carries a $30 handcart that can be adapted as above and Wike trailers has the above described, ready to go version, as well , but now may be $175-200. Some complaints of failure onthe HF model due to multiple plastic parts,
but it might be worthwhile just as an experiment, as one could fabricate a system, as was done above ,
very inexpensively with secondary use for any of the parts that were employed.
wikes is more but ready to roll.

Worst come to worst you basically would feel better about buying a Burly, or not.
Heck, you guys bought Brommies and BF's.

Last edited by bikebikebike; 02-09-16 at 01:29 PM.
Old 08-07-16, 06:40 PM
MrYummieandMe

Location: P-Town, Oregon (Native-born, thank you, very much!)

Bikes: Salsa Marrakesh, 1972 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
OK, well this thread has been resurrected a few times, and this one I'm doing isn't the longest pull from dormancy, LOL! I'm trying to figure out how to convert an old Burley trailer from an axle mount hitch system, to a seat post mount system, as used on the Travoy. My new touring bike, the Marrakesh, while great, is absolutely incompatible with the old-school Y-hitch and rebuilding the rear hub to accommodate a longer axle so I can use the Burley Steel Hitch connector seems an unreasonable length to go. I read this thread with interest. I'm thinking I could bend some aluminum tubing into a seatpost-connector arm that I'd mount to the old trailer. It seems to me that the Travoy mount only allows for side-to-side play. How does the trailer/Travoy stay on the ground when the bike leans, as in a turn? Doesn't the hitch need to allow for more of a universal rotation? I'd appreciate the insight of anyone who has experimented with adapting to a seatpost mounting system, as done in the thread. How did you overcome the physics involved, here? How does the Travoy do it?
Old 08-12-16, 06:45 AM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1924 Post(s)
Liked 1,954 Times in 1,086 Posts
I'm pretty sure the hitch connector thingy is a flexible plastic like the one on my Carry Freedom. My bike fell over once and the trailer stayed put. WRT the axle replacement issue, it is not a big deal. I got one from Wheels Manufacturing. My rear end is spaced to 130 and I used a 18? mm solid axle.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.