Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Barn Find 1971 Swiss Super Mondia Special

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-22, 07:03 PM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 60 Posts

I have too many projects in the queue but the price was right and it (rack & saddle aside) was just so original. Bought from the original owner who told me he bought it new in Southern California and rode it up and down the coast a few times in the year or so after he bought it, then put it away and hadn't really touched it since.

I'm learning about Mondias as I go, but aside from some crazing in the black fade part of the paint, and some very light rust, this one is really nice. It seems like the clear coat (along with the oily dirt) has protected the chrome lugs pretty well. I'm hoping this one will clean up nicely (whenever it is that I can devote time to it). 531 all around, mostly Campy driveline, hubs, seat-post, but Mafac Racers with Wienmann quick-releases and Suntour bar end shifters (all as stock wildly).

I have a feeling it is going to clean up really well, but cleaning the frame without hurting the pinstripes and decals will take a lot of time. Should be fun.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions on this one.

As Found Photos

Last edited by CriticalThought; 02-08-22 at 04:20 PM.
Old 02-07-22, 07:08 PM
bikemike73 

Bikes: 1973 Schwinn Sports Tourer plus a " few" more :)

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 147 Posts
GREAT SCORE !!!!

LOVE the color scheme!!!!

Looks to be in VERY NICE shape. Will clean up nicely !!!

Take your time......no rush

Love the story !!!!!

Always good to get from the original owner !!!
Old 02-07-22, 07:25 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4510 Post(s)
Liked 6,377 Times in 3,667 Posts
Originally Posted by CriticalThought
I have too many projects in the queue but the price was right and it (rack & saddle aside) was just so original. Bought from the original owner who told me he bought it new in Southern California and rode it up and down the coast a few times in the year or so after he bought it, then put it away and hadn't really touched it since.

I'm learning about Mondias as I go, but aside from some crazing in the black fade part of the paint, and some very light rust, this one is really nice. It seems like the clear coat (along with the oily dirt) has protected the chrome lugs pretty well. I'm hoping this one will clean up nicely (whenever it is that I can devote time to it). 531 all around, mostly Campy driveline, hubs, seat-post, but Mafac Racers with Wienmann quick-releases and Shimano bar end shifters (all as stock wildly).

I have a feeling it is going to clean up really well, but will cleaning the frame without hurting the pinstripes and decals will take a lot of time. Should be fun.

Would love to hear thoughts and opinions on this one.
This is fantastic, great score!

As with so many things, patience is key, take it very slowly and carefully, no strong or harsh cleaners until necessary and then you need to balance cleaner strength and scrubbing effort to keep from doing harm, usually a big learning curve. Sometimes it looks great and durable but disintegrates just looking at it, sometimes looks like it is crumbling before your eyes but is tough as nails and everything in between.

Many here have great advice and get great results but technique and personal touch can have a big impact.

Most soaps and cleaners can be diluted with water and while time consuming, it can be a good idea not to go full strength in the beginning.
Old 02-07-22, 07:39 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Beautiful find there, it looks like a great everyday rider. Maybe a saddle to suit you, and with or without the rack, your choice of course.👍

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-07-22, 08:02 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,828 Times in 1,995 Posts
Good purchase.
way back I considered one, about 9 months more saving to buy, with inflation rate of 1972... I bought what I could afford. A Bertin C-37
the silver to blue to black was especially handsome.
this one is also classic.
these do have Long wheelbases.
Lots of hand done pin striping on these.
Styling.
needs 28 mm tires and a Brooks or Ideale saddle.
Old 02-07-22, 09:14 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

wonderful find, thank you for sharing it with the forum

1970 was the final year for the cycle's 3TTT Gran Prix model stem

if the Campag hubs are the originals you should be able to retrieve a specific year date from the axle locknuts

good to see one in such fine nick which is so largely original

-----
Old 02-08-22, 07:39 AM
CriticalThought

Bikes: Santana Sovereign Tandem, Five Rings Carbon, Lemond Alpe d'Huez, Miele Latina, Hercules Tourist, Mercian Super Tourist Tandem, Birdy BD-1, Duell Solo, Jack Taylor Marathon Tandem, Raleigh RSW-16, DL-1, and Superbe

3TTT Stem Decals

Thanks all!

Thanks juvela Funny that you mentioned the version of the 3TTT stem. I noticed that as well (and was pretty happy to see it).

The colors the decal had faded to though, made me wonder if the reproductions out there were accurate. After seeing another online faded to a similar odd set of green, blue, yellow and white, I think they are.

In looking around for replacement decals, I also saw that the Reynold fork decals on Mondias of this period just say "Reynolds Forks" which I hadn't seen before (without additional text like "blades").

Anyway, I'm looking forward to cleaning this one up, even if it's a ways out.

PS The Campag hubs are original, so I'll check for a date stamp. Thanks for that tip. The RD says 71.

My Faded 3TTT Garantito Stem Decal

My Faded 3TTT Garantito Stem Decal

A Similarly Oddly Faded 3TTT Garantito Stem Decal That I Found Online

A Similarly Oddly Faded 3TTT Garantito Stem Decal That I Found Online

A Presumably Correct Reproduction 3TTT Garantito Stem Decal That I Found Online

The Elusive 531 Fork Decal With Only The Words "Reynolds Forks" (sadly my paint isn't nearly as nice as this similarly colored example)
Likes For CriticalThought:
Old 02-08-22, 12:17 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3810 Post(s)
Liked 3,335 Times in 2,175 Posts
-----

wrt 3TTT Gran Prix stem transfers -

an original in place:

​​​​​​

two different replicas offered for sale on ebay -

-----
Likes For juvela:
Old 02-08-22, 12:57 PM
jnbrown

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 133 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 52 Posts
Really nice, I always liked Mondias and the paint jobs.
Old 02-08-22, 03:59 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
A beaut! I have always admired Mondias of that era. A unique style, carried though confidently and at a high level. The workmanship looks to be excellent, and as an ex-framebuilder myself, it's hard to fool me. Tough (and beautiful) paint, durable chrome. I own one Mondia, which broke, revealing it was very shoddily built (bad miter and bad braze), but that one is a much later vintage and must be aberration because it's the only one I've seen break that way (pics on request). Older ones like yours were better built I believe.

<snip> Shimano bar end shifters (all as stock wildly).
Those are Suntour Bar-Cons, and I'll bet they were an upgrade, not original. All the old Mondias I can recall came with Campy bar-end shifters, which despite their pedigree don't work as well. That's why I consider yours to be an upgrade.

Shimano's "Fingertip" shifters of that era were also a good choice, but most people didn't adjust them correctly to use the spring-balancing feature, so the Shimanos are (IMHO) under-rated. Many people experienced them adjusted wrong, too tight, giving a wrong impression of how good they can feel when loosened up. I slightly prefer Shimanos over Suntours because they feel smooth, without the ratchet clicks of the Suntour, but that's nit-picking, the Suntour clicks aren't really objectionable. I'll take Suntour's clicks over Campy, which had higher friction if you adjusted them to not slip. I have Campy bar-ends on a bike I like, they aren't a deal-breaker, just not quite as nice as Bar-Cons or Fingertips (Suntour's and Shimano's trademarks, respectively)

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 02-08-22 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-08-22, 04:43 PM
CriticalThought

Bar-cons vs Down Tube Shifters

Thanks for those great 3TTT decal images juvela !

bulgie Thanks for your input (and correction)... no idea why I said Shimano when they clearly (well... not so clearly as they're the "Schwinn Approved" variety that don't say Suntour) are Suntour. I updated my post with your correction.

I have the same bar-cons on a Mercian tandem, and for some reason despite liking them there, I'm tempted to swap them out on the Mondia for Campagnolo down tube shifters if only because I like the cleaner look. We'll shall see.

I love your phrase "A unique style, carried though confidently and at a high level." So apt. I think I'm going to steal that in the future... both unusual for styles I admire (like these Mondias) and perhaps also for styles I might just raise an eyebrow at despite their confident and admirable execution.

Maybe once I get this Mondia cleaned up, lubed, and back together I'll take your advice and try these Suntour bar-cons out before committing to the Campy down tube shifters. For what it's worth, the original owner swore they came with it (I asked about the Campy bar end ones). He said they were original when he bought the bike new at the Montrose Cyclery in Southern California. Maybe the shop installed them pre-purchase?

My trusty Mercian Tandem is in this thread with these bar-cons for those who're interested: https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...l#post21950849

I think I've kept them on the Mercian because I have a single sided down-tube Campy shifter that I am going to install to activate & modulate the Arai drag brake. At present it's activated via one of the stoker's brake levers. I do a lot of fast downhill riding on this tandem and have a stoker/wife who is prone to closing her eyes (hence the unusual rear bottle cage). As a result I like the drag brake operable from up front like on my other tandem.

Last edited by CriticalThought; 02-08-22 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-08-22, 05:52 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
I remember going to the mid 70's TOSRV and staring at those bikes with my tongue virtually sweeping the pavement. Before the '73 run I'd never heard of the brand. Back then, they were about the most exotic bikes you could find.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Likes For sykerocker:
Old 02-08-22, 07:32 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Liked 2,567 Times in 1,072 Posts
<snip> they're the "Schwinn Approved" variety that don't say Suntour <snip> the original owner swore they came with it (I asked about the Campy bar end ones).
Well the one thing we know for sure is that Mondia didn't install Schwinn shifters before it left Switzerland! Somebody ugraded it.

I think I've kept them on the Mercian because I have a single sided down-tube Campy shifter that I am going to install to activate & modulate the Arai drag brake.
That'll be cool. Is the DT on the tandem 1-1/8"? I'd hope for something at least a little oversdized. Jack Taylor and some Frenchies used 30 mm; 1-1/4" (31.8 mm) was also popular BITD. If the DT is OS then you can put the "shift" lever for the Arai on the mid-tube. That will make a nice straight cable run to the brake too. Oops, if the one-side lever you have is a Left. Not so easy if your shifter is on the Right

You've probably seen that other way to "power" the Arai, by a friction thumbie on the handlebar. Popular with people who don't want to let go of the bar while setting the drag brake. More housing and friction than a DT lever though, and possible interference with cyclecomputer/GPS, headlight or what-have-you, so by all means go DT if you're comfortable with the reach.

Show us the Mercian after you get it fully dialed, it's gorge.