Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

For the love of English 3 speeds...

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-22, 01:15 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by gna
Locknuts? Most of mine have wrench flats on the left (non-drive side) cone. Tighten the right one as far as it will go; there's a stop on the axle. Adjust the cone in the fork--the tension of the fork blades and the axle nuts keeps the cones in place.
Some have locknuts and some (like my Dunelts) do not and are set up as you describe.
Old 06-28-22, 04:36 PM
tjfastback66

Bikes: a few

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 91 Post(s)
Liked 367 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by mirfi
Hello,

Did you recently purchase the handlebar/stem combination?

Nonetheless, looks great.

Mirfi
Thank you Mirfi !

Actually this bike came with the handlebar/stem combo but there was a lot of crust and rust over most parts.
Here is what it looked like prior to disassembly.

Likes For tjfastback66:
Old 06-28-22, 08:24 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts
Originally Posted by tjfastback66
Thank you Mirfi !

Actually this bike came with the handlebar/stem combo but there was a lot of crust and rust over most parts.
Here is what it looked like prior to disassembly.

Cleaned up real good.
Old 06-29-22, 07:22 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Originally Posted by Ballenxj
Ah, the old 305 Super Hawk. I remember lusting after those when I was a kid.
Somebody made a fairly optimistic claim that it had a top speed of 104?
I dunno, I suppose maybe?
Honda 305 Super Hawk wiki
Ah, the dream bike of my high school years. Our high school's second string quarterback had one of those. So, of course, his sidekick went out and bought a Yamaha Big Bear 250 (YD-2, I think) which would blow the Honda into the weeds.

Top speed of 104? Maybe on a downhill run. I know that the CB450 wasn't capable of doing the ton, topped out at something like 97 or 98.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 06-30-22, 12:39 PM
Salubrious

Bikes: Too many 3-speeds, Jones Plus LWB

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 119 Posts
Originally Posted by sykerocker
Top speed of 104? Maybe on a downhill run. I know that the CB450 wasn't capable of doing the ton, topped out at something like 97 or 98.
To the former, yes, at least as far as the speedo was concerned. To the latter, also yes.
Old 07-02-22, 07:49 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,446 Times in 1,557 Posts
Back to Sturmey stuff.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...50221422001981

Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-02-22, 01:14 PM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 4 Posts
A couple of questions about the Raleigh Sports/Superbe:

Is the large (23") frame comfortable for a person around 6' tall? For about ten years my daily rider was a Pashley Roadster with a 22.5" frame, and that felt just fine, although that has 28" roadster wheels, so the bottom bracket was higher than typical. I picked up a 21" Raleigh Sports a few years ago as a backup but it felt too cramped to be comfortable for anything other than a last resort bike. I considered replacing the seat post with something longer to get the saddle higher but never pursued it. My Pashley finally gave out after 10 years of Buffalo winters when the crank rusted through and the pedal fell out. So I'm looking for a new "getting around town" bike along the same line. My Anglophilia is strongly urging me to find an old Raleigh 3-speed in good condition.

If I don't luck out and find a Superbe with the original rack, what kind of rear rack is best on a Raleigh 3-speed? Just to hang a pannier to carry my lunch to work, etc.

Are there any "secret" websites other than Craigslist and eBay to troll for these bikes? I have my LBS on alert to let me know if anything comes through.
Old 07-02-22, 08:55 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Chesterton

Is the large (23") frame comfortable for a person around 6' tall? For about ten years my daily rider was a Pashley Roadster with a 22.5" frame, and that felt just fine, although that has 28" roadster wheels, so the bottom bracket was higher than typical. I picked up a 21" Raleigh Sports a few years ago as a backup but it felt too cramped to be comfortable for anything other than a last resort bike. I considered replacing the seat post with something longer to get the saddle higher but never pursued it. My Pashley finally gave out after 10 years of Buffalo winters when the crank rusted through and the pedal fell out. So I'm looking for a new "getting around town" bike along the same line. My Anglophilia is strongly urging me to find an old Raleigh 3-speed in good condition.

If I don't luck out and find a Superbe with the original rack, what kind of rear rack is best on a Raleigh 3-speed? Just to hang a pannier to carry my lunch to work, etc.

Are there any "secret" websites other than Craigslist and eBay to troll for these bikes? I have my LBS on alert to let me know if anything comes through.
I'm more comfortable on the 23" schwinn racer than I am on the 21" Hercules, and I'm almost 5'10". The swept bars and upright position make it easier to fit. Unfortunately, English-built 3 speeds are slowly becoming extinct, so you need to keep your eyes peeled. Maybe befriend a local bike buyer and let them know what you're looking for, since they might show up to buy a stable of nicer road bikes, but have Ye Auld 3 Speed thrown since they're there anyway.
I paid $10 for my Schwinn, because i told the bike guy I was looking for a 3 speed wheelset. Neither of us considered at the time that Schwinn used the ISO 597 sizing, rather than ISO 590...
Old 07-02-22, 09:25 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts

I'm 5'11 1/2" and 23" frames feel perfect for me. I currently have a 23" 1971 Robin Hood and will soon be getting back my 72 Sports I sold two years ago. The new owner thought it was a bit too big and is going to trade/sell the bike back to me. The 23" works well with both drop bar and north roads.

1971 Robin Hood

1972 Raleigh Sports
Old 07-02-22, 10:58 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts
I have a 23" triumph that's really a Raleigh and at 5'11" it's perfect.
Old 07-03-22, 08:18 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

I rode 25"/64cm bikes for years and still do, but the last few have been 24"/62cm and I ride a 23" Sports with no problem. I keep planning to use a stem with more reach than stock. I also have a boxed 23" ladies' Sports for the day when I can no longer swing a leg over a diamond frame. I use a Pletscher on my bike with various panniers.

Try FB Marketplace. The Search is wonky and can drive you nuts but you might find something worthwhile. I've bought there.

Last edited by thumpism; 07-03-22 at 08:22 AM.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-03-22, 11:39 AM
Chesterton

Bikes: 1975 Raleigh Sports, Cycles Toussaint Velo Routier, Yuba Mundo, Raleigh Sports (1970)

Originally Posted by thumpism
I also have a boxed 23" ladies' Sports for the day when I can no longer swing a leg over a diamond frame.
I didn't know they made the ladies' Sports in 23". I thought it was just 21" and 19", and the gent's model was 23" and 21". I'll have to keep an eye out, I'm not averse to a step-through, although I always wonder if lacking the triangulation they might not support a heavier rider as well.

Another question about the Sports: do you find that the "hockey stick" chain guard allows you to ride the bike wearing jeans or other long pants without worrying about grease stains? One thing I loved about the full chain case on the Pashley Roadster was being able to ride to work without worrying about tucking my cuff into my sock or wearing an ankleband, etc. But bikes with full chain cases are hard to find!
Old 07-03-22, 05:23 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

I didn't know they made the ladies' Sports in 23". I thought it was just 21" and 19", and the gent's model was 23" and 21". I'll have to keep an eye out, I'm not averse to a step-through, although I always wonder if lacking the triangulation they might not support a heavier rider as well.

Another question about the Sports: do you find that the "hockey stick" chain guard allows you to ride the bike wearing jeans or other long pants without worrying about grease stains? One thing I loved about the full chain case on the Pashley Roadster was being able to ride to work without worrying about tucking my cuff into my sock or wearing an ankleband, etc. But bikes with full chain cases are hard to find!
The chainguards work fine. When riding in long pants I use metal boyangs (trouser clips) and have never had a problem. There might be some small sacrifice in frame strength on the stepthrough, but I suspect its everyday handiness more than compensates for that. Good luck finding a 23" Sports for yourself.

Here's a pic of my L23, found at the curb on trash day in Wake Forest NC.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-03-22, 07:11 PM
gster

Bikes: 1971 Hercules, 1978 Raleigh Superbe, 1978 Raleigh Tourist, 1964 Glider 3 Speed, 1967 Raleigh Sprite 5 Speed, 1968 Hercules AMF 3 Speed, 1972 Raleigh Superbe, 1976 Raleigh Superbe, 1957 Flying Pigeon, 1967 Dunelt 3 Speed

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Quoted: 1028 Post(s)
Liked 439 Times in 287 Posts

Yes, a tall 23" Superbe would suit you just fine.
Likes For gster:
Old 07-04-22, 07:07 PM
Chesterton

Well, I did it, I bought a 23" men's Raleigh Sports on eBay. God and FedEx/UPS willing, it should be here by next weekend. I think it is a '74 from what I can tell (brazed-on brake cable guides on the top tube, but the earlier all-metal shifter).

I had the modern (c. 2010) Sturmey-Archer 5-speed hub on my Pashley and it never really worked well at all. I am hoping the AW will be a big improvement. Should I add some oil to it via the port when I get it, before riding the bike? I have a set of Kool Stop Continental pads that I can swap in. Any other immediate maintenance tasks I should be considering?
Likes For Chesterton:
Old 07-04-22, 07:40 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Well, I did it, I bought a 23" men's Raleigh Sports on eBay. God and FedEx/UPS willing, it should be here by next weekend. I think it is a '74 from what I can tell (brazed-on brake cable guides on the top tube, but the earlier all-metal shifter).

I had the modern (c. 2010) Sturmey-Archer 5-speed hub on my Pashley and it never really worked well at all. I am hoping the AW will be a big improvement. Should I add some oil to it via the port when I get it, before riding the bike? I have a set of Kool Stop Continental pads that I can swap in. Any other immediate maintenance tasks I should be considering?
You'll know once you get it?
Old 07-04-22, 08:15 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,658 Times in 1,677 Posts

I've had experience with the modern 5 speed and many aw hubs. I much prefer the aw. Get the gear ratio you need, 2/1 works very well for me, and you'll have an excellent commuter.
Old 07-04-22, 08:38 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Ride it before throwing oil in it. Overfilling just leaks on your rims. A few mils of oil, once or twice a year is the way to go.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-05-22, 07:12 AM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

You might want to be scouting around for a larger cog for the hub. Most of these bikes are overgeared and it seems to get worse the older I get.
Likes For thumpism:
Old 07-05-22, 07:52 AM
Chesterton

Originally Posted by Unca_Sam
You'll know once you get it?
Suppose so, although I guess my preference is that it doesn't scream out for *any* immediate maintenance!

You might want to be scouting around for a larger cog for the hub. Most of these bikes are overgeared and it seems to get worse the older I get.
I think I will ride it around for a bit before making that decision. Luckily that's a pretty simple and inexpensive modification.
Old 07-05-22, 05:33 PM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1294 Post(s)
Liked 934 Times in 486 Posts
The chainguards work fine. When riding in long pants I use metal boyangs (trouser clips) and have never had a problem.
My pant cuff has gotten hung up on the cotter pin, before, so I always ride with those clips.
Likes For 1989Pre:
Old 07-05-22, 06:31 PM
clubman 
Phyllo-buster

Bikes: roadsters, club bikes, fixed and classic

Mentioned: 133 Post(s)
Quoted: 2296 Post(s)
Liked 2,046 Times in 1,253 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
My pant cuff has gotten hung up on the cotter pin, before, so I always ride with those clips.
Flipping the orientation of both cotters will usually cure the pants thing. Your cuffs won't catch on the domed end. That said, I like trouser clips too.
Likes For clubman:
Old 07-06-22, 01:00 PM
browngw 

Bikes: 1965 Dilecta Le Blanc, 1956 Royal Nord, 1972 Raleigh Sports, 1972 CCM Turismo,1976 SuperCycle Excalibur, 2014 Salsa Vaya, 2017 Felt DD70, 2019 Giant Lafree and others

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 351 Post(s)
Liked 588 Times in 227 Posts
Sometimes They Return

The 1972 Raleigh Sports (Canada) which I purchased in early 2018 and sold in 2020 has come home. This root-beer coloured 23" frame bike has a few dents in the mudguards and minor rust on the rims but is in good overall condition. It has spent most of the last 2 years in a garden shed with "stuff" piled around it. When I retrieved earlier today it almost felt like a rescue mission. The neighbour who bought it finally admitted that it was a bit too tall for him and asked me for something smaller. He saw an early 90s Raleigh Canada built Home Hardware Special I had on hand and wanted to swap it for the Sports. I gave him the 26" ATB and $40 and walked the Sports home. The next step will be a major cleaning.

As it looked when I sold it. I had a Brooks B67 and a larger bag which is now on another bike when I was riding it.

Dirty and a bit of surface rust, but not bad considering.

This is the rear saddle bag that was on it when purchased.
Old 07-06-22, 01:06 PM
markk900

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 634 Times in 336 Posts
browngw : I like the root beer ones a lot. They really sparkle in the sun (I guess in "merry old" they didn't sparkle as much!)..... I did one for my sister a few years back and loved it while I had it.

Likes For markk900:
Old 07-07-22, 12:13 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

$50 in PA.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...00728972020100

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.