Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Older Bianchi

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-21, 07:21 AM
Roadrunner1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Older Bianchi

Standard question, what model and year Bianchi is this and how much is it worth?

This was my daily ride when I lived downtown Toronto years ago. Is this something special that deserves more TCL/rebuild or do I put it back into daily rider duty?

I got this as a project bike frame and can’t remember what parts were original and what I had to add. So please comment on the components too.

The white on the forks and chain stays are reflective white tape. Forks and frame are Celeste under the tape.
I should still have the FD and large chain ring somewhere.
The headset is by Bianchi, BB is Ofmega, Italian threaded.
The name Bianchi is cast into the top of the forks.
Theres some stamping numbers on the top/front of the head tube and on the right rear wheel drop, nothing under the BB.
Lots of wheel room, I was running 27” wheels before this set of 700.

Corsa brake levers. Any source for these brake hoods? Stealth mount for bell. Right where I need it and doesn’t clutter the top of the bar.

Can’t make out the missing part. But looks like Columbus sticker.

Old campy, don’t think it’s a set.

Levers might actually be original Notice Bianchi on the top of the forks

Think this is original too. I might need a replacement soon. Saw a bit of pitting when I repacked it last night.

Ambrosio rims on Miche hubs

Circled B on the seat stay
Old 08-07-21, 07:27 AM
Roadrunner1

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts

Cleaner background

Built for 27” wheels

Reflective white bits
More pics
Old 08-07-21, 10:06 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
Gosh, I think it has potential. Not real high on food chain, 3 tube Columbus, I thinking your bike is originally 700 with reagular reach Modolo brakes matching the brake levers, Ofmega cranks and hubs to go with the bb.

As-is now, about $80-100, it's not clean no fd or big chainring and the reflection tape brings the value way down.

If you can remove the reflective tape, clean all the grim, remove the hideous bartape you have a very attractive seller $300 perhaps, depending on the rolling conditions of the various bearing sets, it could use a better rear derailleur.

The reflective tape can be removed without damaging the paint, but it is not easy. One can pick and peal as is but that would take hours and hours. I have successfully done so, I would recommend a torch or heat gun. The tape softens at much lower temperature than the paint and can be pealed and or scraped with something like a Bakelite plastic, or a teflon use spatula. Once the metal is up to, I don't know maybe 125' it softens, the tape can even bubble and the heat won't affect the paint.

Just last week I pulled the red reflective tape off this fork using a propane torch.

Last edited by Mr. 66; 08-07-21 at 10:22 AM.
Old 08-07-21, 12:09 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 192 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2930 Post(s)
Liked 2,923 Times in 1,491 Posts
Poor bike I am thinking it is around '80/81 something like a Nuovo Racing but since Bianchi used the same frame on several models there is no way to know for sure.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 08-07-21, 12:56 PM
Roadrunner1

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66

As-is now, about $80-100, it's not clean no fd or big chainring and the reflection tape brings the value way down.

If you can remove the reflective tape, clean all the grim, remove the hideous bartape you have a very attractive seller $300 perhaps, depending on the rolling conditions of the various bearing
LOL! Perfect, Sounds like a bike thief evaluation! (No offence to you)

I was living downtown when i built this in the late 80’s or early 90’s when Toronto was crowned as the bike theft capital of North America. So the bike had to be theft deterrent, no extra parts, bylaw compliant and be a comfy, well working, 4 season ride that’s easily recognizable.

I think the brake cables in the air keeps most bike thieves passing by.
The only thing that gets cleaned is the drive train before oiling. Maybe the rims if I start losing the brakes.
The reflective tape is the stuff they use for temporary highway lane marking loaded with tiny glass beads. It’s on an aluminum backing that I can peel off pretty easily. GooGone works really well if any of the adhesive gets left behind.
There is a stupid line in the bylaw that requires reflective tape on your bike in addition to lights. Hardly anyone knows or complies, but its there if they decide to use it on a stop.
Other than the heavy wear and tear on the cosmetics, everything works very well. I have less rolling resistance than a lot of other bikes I encounter. Even that rear derailleur gives a very smooth shift. I think that’s older than the bike.

…I think the build worked. I still have the bike, and never got any parts stripped off. 😀TORONTO
Highway Traffic Act 62 (17) When on a highway at any time from one-half hour before sunset to one-half hour after sunrise and at any other time when, due to insufficient light or unfavourable atmospheric conditions, persons and vehicles on the highway are not clearly discernible at a distance of 150 metres or less, every motor assisted bicycle and bicycle (other than a unicycle) shall carry a lighted lamp displaying a white or amber light on its front and a lighted lamp displaying a red light or a reflector on its rear, and in addition white reflective material shall be placed on its front forks, and red reflective material covering a surface of not less than 250 mm in length and 25 mm in width shall be placed on its rear. 2015, c. 14, s. 21 (2).

Set fine for improper bicycle lighting or improper lighting is $110 (includes victim fine surcharge and court fees.)
Likes For Roadrunner1:
Old 08-07-21, 01:10 PM
Roadrunner1

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Poor bike I am thinking it is around '80/81 something like a Nuovo Racing but since Bianchi used the same frame on several models there is no way to know for sure.
The Nuovo Google images show a thicker dash line being used in front of the name Bianch and clamp on cable guides.

Can anyone decipher frame numbers? The head tube number is not completely visible, but I can read some of it.

Don’t forget why I posted.
”Is this something special that deserves more TCL/rebuild or do I put it back into daily rider duty?”

Thanks

Last edited by Roadrunner1; 08-07-21 at 01:24 PM.
Old 08-09-21, 12:36 AM
Mackers

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 141 Posts
Brakes look like 2nd generation Super Record to me, worth quite a bit usually.

Unfortunately the brake shoes are not original and the bolts appear to have corroded, though perhaps they can still be cleaned up.
Old 08-09-21, 06:34 AM
Roadrunner1

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Mackers
Brakes look like 2nd generation Super Record to me, worth quite a bit usually.
Thanks for pointing this out. I was wondering if there were any diamonds in the rough here.
I did not know the old square Campy blocks could be replaced in the holders. I’ll have to drag out the parts bin and look for those and the FD + chain ring.

…and i might have to change my lock if anybody else speaks up. I’ve spent more money on bike locks than the current suggested highest value of the bike. But I’m using this cosmetic lock for my commute to work in the suburbs right now.

Cosmetic lock for the commute to work.
Old 08-09-21, 09:30 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
If you do want to take the tape off I would like to show the results of a bike coop purchase. A nice mid level Brit bike Dawes that was covered in hardened black plastic tape.

worked out good. As near as I could tell the tape was put on the frame in as early as 1972.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 08-09-21, 09:12 PM
Roadrunner1

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
That cleaned up really nice! It’s inspiring me to do some work. I think I will try taking all my tape off and also give it a good wash. I’m not too worried about bike theft in my situation now.
Stay tuned for “after” pictures.
Old 08-11-21, 04:32 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2436 Post(s)
Liked 3,119 Times in 1,962 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadrunner1
That cleaned up really nice! It’s inspiring me to do some work. I think I will try taking all my tape off and also give it a good wash. I’m not too worried about bike theft in my situation now.
Stay tuned for “after” pictures.
Definitely could be a pretty awesome little bike. Bianchigirll and others can tell you more but Tretubi often meant 3 SL tubes and then possibly Aelle stays and fork...IIRC
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 07-23-22, 09:42 PM
Roadrunner1

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
Looks like you’re right Bianchigirl!!! Someone with a time machine is selling a NEW 1981 Nuovi Racing on Kijiji classifieds. ($4000 CA). It has the exact same graphics and markings as mine.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-view-details...dId=1614918858This is a beautiful example of a Nuovo Racing from 1981 in new condition. There are 0 miles on this bike. 60cm frame

Columbus tubing Campagnolo Nuovo Record Rear Derailleur Campagnolo Nuovo Record Front Derailleur Mavic Rims Universal Brakes 3TTT Stem and Bars All original except for bar tape and hoods New-- Never Ridden

Bianchi Nouvo Racing 1981
Likes For Roadrunner1:
Old 08-11-22, 09:08 AM
Nadia1976

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Following