Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Bertrand bicycle

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-22, 05:17 PM
ThisJustIn

Bikes: Kona Dew Plus

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Bertrand bicycle

Does anyone anything about Bertrand bicycles?

How much would you guys appraise this for?

Old 08-12-22, 06:15 PM
Peroni

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 22 Posts
It's a large frame, too much larger the 58cm for me to be able to ride at all. I would start guessing at $1000 since the drive train looks like new, but I'm Newbie and don't know very much.
I see some corrosion, let the buyer clean it up and service. Some Ti components and alloy headset, must be high end from the eighties.
I'd want to buy it and clean it up if wasn't too large for me, but I don't know what is. I'm not ready for tubular rims, but I would be happy with them on this bicycle, if thats what they are.
Likes For Peroni:
Old 08-12-22, 06:40 PM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Yea, it's too large for me, unfortunately. It would have been fun to spruce it up.
Old 08-12-22, 06:53 PM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 884 Post(s)
Liked 2,307 Times in 1,117 Posts
If you don't mind, what are they asking. I have no thoughts on the value. But that is a good bike. If it was something I saw for sale around me on the cheap, I would be on it like a chicken on a June bug even thought it is way too tall for me.

One thing I did see that was odd is the upper headset race and nut. It looks cocked but that my just be the dangle of the angle of the photograph.

Old 08-12-22, 06:54 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1799 Post(s)
Liked 2,334 Times in 1,378 Posts
Here's a comparable near Haliburton. Last year in the summer I had to go to Minden and almost bought this bike. I was turned off by the fact that seller photo'd it without cleaning and for $750 I'd want a clean bike, just so I could be sure there were no surprises under the dirt. Also, at that time there were several for sale in Toronto for about $800. You might page @T-Mar who might know more. IIRC recall he was on a team that raced this brand.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...82066386743228

Bertrand Racing Bike
CA$750 · In stock
Listed in Algonquin Highlands, ON
MessageDetails
  • Condition
    Used – good
  • Bicycle type
    Road bike
  • Material
    Steel
  • Brand
    Bertrand
  • Bicycle wheel size
Bertrand 1000 racing bike in great condition, except for tires which will need replacing (original). Original paint, well maintained. Columbus SLX steel tubing. Some chips in the paint. A real joy to ride. Under seat tool bag and two water bottle holders. Lost one of the bottles. Toe clip style pedals. 14 speed.

​​​​​​
Old 08-12-22, 07:09 PM
Peroni

You would need a repair stand and cone wrenches, BB tools and crank puller, if you don't already have everything. Plus the alloy headset is difficult to disassemble without chewing it up. I'm guessing late eighties, so it would need fresh grease everywhere.
Not much corrosion, I don't think, which is a big plus. The wheels and components are worth quite a lot because they're almost like new. I'm not sure which group, but you can start checking forTi with a rubber magnetic card if you don't want to use a powerful magnet, pedal spindles and derailleur bolts.

Last edited by Peroni; 08-12-22 at 07:46 PM.
Old 08-12-22, 09:33 PM
T-Mar

Mentioned: 654 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4722 Post(s)
Liked 3,036 Times in 1,874 Posts
The subject bicycle is a Bertrand 3000, circa 1985-1987. Bertrand was essentially the house brand for Cycles Bertrand, a small retail shop based in Hull Quebec, that started in the very early 1960s. The owner's son, Gille Bertrand operated the manufacturing side of the business out of the basement, as a separate entity under the name Fabricycle Ltée. Framebuilding commenced circa 1981 with Michele Belly, a frame builder would had apprenticed in France. He left after a short period with the frame building taken over by Gilles.

The frames were handbuilt and are relatively rare, especially ouside of the Ottawa/Hull region. Construction was very good and my 3000 rode well but they don't have the stature of a Marinioni. For me, the big thing that always held them back was using decals on places like the stay caps and fork crowns, instead of investing in classier embossed fittings. When you were spending $1000-$2500 on a bicycle, you didn't want cheap looking decals, when you buddy's Marinoni was embossed.

The finish on this one is looking fairly rough. It may clean up fairly well but I wouldn;t pay much more than what you consider fair value for the components.
Likes For T-Mar:
Old 08-13-22, 09:35 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1140 Post(s)
Liked 1,736 Times in 957 Posts
I have a sorta low price on this. Just it's not clean, the paint has chips, wear on brake tracks not real bad, I think the chrome is good just dust and encrusted grime at worst, bad tires, usd $300 as-is
Old 08-13-22, 11:06 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1818 Post(s)
Liked 1,693 Times in 974 Posts
Bertrand built all kinds of bikes. This is my Bertrand touring bike which was custom built for a former friend of mine. I also know at least 3 people I ride with who own Bertrands. Since Marionis were so common In Montreal, Bertrands had a certain cachet as an "exotic" builder from Hull QC

Last edited by alcjphil; 08-13-22 at 11:39 AM.
Old 08-13-22, 03:28 PM
Peroni

Originally Posted by ThisJustIn
Yea, it's too large for me, unfortunately. It would have been fun to spruce it up.
If you do want to clean some of the dirt off of it, don't blast it with a hose and degreaser, nothing is really sealed against water and degreaser or detergent very much.
A can of Moto spray polish will clean it up with rags, like what they sell for motorcycles, and maybe at the the auto parts store, it's a bit grubby and needs some petroleum distillate.
It would be a nice performance bicycle for a tall man, especially if they can maintain it, and replace the tires if they are tubulars.
But it would need to be shipped to that person, most likely.
Likes For Peroni:
Old 08-14-22, 03:08 AM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by WGB
Here's a comparable near Haliburton. Last year in the summer I had to go to Minden and almost bought this bike. I was turned off by the fact that seller photo'd it without cleaning and for $750 I'd want a clean bike, just so I could be sure there were no surprises under the dirt. Also, at that time there were several for sale in Toronto for about $800. You might page @T-Mar who might know more. IIRC recall he was on a team that raced this brand.

​​​​​​https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...82066386743228

Bertrand Racing Bike
CA$750 · In stock
Listed in Algonquin Highlands, ON
MessageDetails
  • Condition
    Used – good
  • Bicycle type
    Road bike
  • Material
    Steel
  • Brand
    Bertrand
  • Bicycle wheel size
Bertrand 1000 racing bike in great condition, except for tires which will need replacing (original). Original paint, well maintained. Columbus SLX steel tubing. Some chips in the paint. A real joy to ride. Under seat tool bag and two water bottle holders. Lost one of the bottles. Toe clip style pedals. 14 speed.

​​​​​​
Oh snappers! I want a bike in this colour scheme! What a beaute.
Also,.thank for the info!
Old 08-14-22, 03:11 AM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
Bertrand built all kinds of bikes. This is my Bertrand touring bike which was custom built for a former friend of mine. I also know at least 3 people I ride with who own Bertrands. Since Marionis were so common In Montreal, Bertrands had a certain cachet as an "exotic" builder from Hull QC

Oh really, they're from Hull? I didn't know anything good came out of there, haha .

Sweet touring bike, btw! That green colour is dope
Old 08-14-22, 03:12 AM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
I have a sorta low price on this. Just it's not clean, the paint has chips, wear on brake tracks not real bad, I think the chrome is good just dust and encrusted grime at worst, bad tires, usd $300 as-is
Thank you for those points!
Old 08-14-22, 03:15 AM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by T-Mar
The subject bicycle is a Bertrand 3000, circa 1985-1987. Bertrand was essentially the house brand for Cycles Bertrand, a small retail shop based in Hull Quebec, that started in the very early 1960s. The owner's son, Gille Bertrand operated the manufacturing side of the business out of the basement, as a separate entity under the name Fabricycle Ltée. Framebuilding commenced circa 1981 with Michele Belly, a frame builder would had apprenticed in France. He left after a short period with the frame building taken over by Gilles.

The frames were handbuilt and are relatively rare, especially ouside of the Ottawa/Hull region. Construction was very good and my 3000 rode well but they don't have the stature of a Marinioni. For me, the big thing that always held them back was using decals on places like the stay caps and fork crowns, instead of investing in classier embossed fittings. When you were spending $1000-$2500 on a bicycle, you didn't want cheap looking decals, when you buddy's Marinoni was embossed.

The finish on this one is looking fairly rough. It may clean up fairly well but I wouldn;t pay much more than what you consider fair value for the components.
Right on, thank you for the 411 on Bertrand.

What would fair value be then for the components?
Old 08-14-22, 03:21 AM
ThisJustIn

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Chuck M
If you don't mind, what are they asking. I have no thoughts on the value. But that is a good bike. If it was something I saw for sale around me on the cheap, I would be on it like a chicken on a June bug even thought it is way too tall for me.

One thing I did see that was odd is the upper headset race and nut. It looks cocked but that my just be the dangle of the angle of the photograph.
He's not asking anything yet. It belongs to my friend's roommate and I happened to spot it in their garage when I was visiting. I'm in the market for a drop-bar road bike so it caught my eye, however, the frame is unfortunately too large, tabernac, lol