Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Updating a Schwinn?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Updating a Schwinn?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-22, 07:26 AM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 95 Posts
Updating a Schwinn?

In the time I've perused the ads looking for a nice vintage 10 speed, I've been attracted to the old Schwinns and in my research found that the Super Sport has that filleted frame look of the classic Schwinns but lighter than the flash-welded ones. About the only thing I hesitate about is the forged crankset. But I just read an old thread that mentioned an adapter kit that will convert the old forged cranksets to cotterless. Unfortunately, the company they referenced selling them is the now-defunct Harris Cycles.

Is there anyone else offering this conversion kit?
Old 02-14-22, 07:29 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,898 Times in 889 Posts
Originally Posted by swampyankee2
In the time I've perused the ads looking for a nice vintage 10 speed, I've been attracted to the old Schwinns and in my research found that the Super Sport has that filleted frame look of the classic Schwinns but lighter than the flash-welded ones. About the only thing I hesitate about is the forged crankset. But I just read an old thread that mentioned an adapter kit that will convert the old forged cranksets to cotterless. Unfortunately, the company they referenced selling them is the now-defunct Harris Cycles.

Is there anyone else offering this conversion kit?
Here's one.
Truvativ Adapter
Likes For BFisher:
Old 02-14-22, 07:53 AM
bikemig 

Bikes: A bunch of old bikes and a few new ones

Mentioned: 178 Post(s)
Quoted: 5888 Post(s)
Liked 3,471 Times in 2,079 Posts
Alternatively, get a Superior or a Sports Tourer as they came with a conventional BB.

This is a good discussion of the fillet brazed Schwinns:

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/schwinn-braze.html
Likes For bikemig:
Old 02-14-22, 08:13 AM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
"Sporty" no longer resides in NH and is currently enjoying the sunny south in its 51st year. The modification of a Super Sport or finding the Sports Tourer or a late '70s Superior, is very satisfying.

I do have a green Sports Tourer still in NH which needs a new home.

swampyankee2 in what part of New England do you reside?

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Likes For pastorbobnlnh:
Old 02-14-22, 09:09 AM
sd5782 

Bikes: 1964 Huffy Sportsman, 1972 Fuji Newest, 1973 Schwinn Super Sport (3), 1982 Trek 412, 1983 Trek 700, 1989 Miyata 1000LT, 1991 Bianchi Boardwalk, plus others

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 697 Times in 393 Posts
I found a crank arm adapter that uses the Ashtabula crank and any 110 rings. The setup is one pound heavier than the 3 piece crank but is easier to service and probably more durable. I posted here on it. They may still be available on the web.

Likes For sd5782:
Old 02-14-22, 09:29 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by sd5782
I found a crank arm adapter that uses the Ashtabula crank and any 110 rings. The setup is one pound heavier than the 3 piece crank but is easier to service and probably more durable. I posted here on it. They may still be available on the web.

https://porkchopbmx.com/bmx-bicycle-...-crank-chrome/
Old 02-14-22, 09:46 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
I've used that Truvativ adapter on a Super Sport. One note is that you'll also need to use a cartridge BB rather than a cup-and-cone model.
Old 02-14-22, 10:56 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
I've used that Truvativ adapter on a Super Sport. One note is that you'll also need to use a cartridge BB rather than a cup-and-cone model.
I did this exact thing on my SS and it worked well.

**Note - you will need to do some grinding inside the BB shell to make the Truvativ adaptor fit properly.
Old 02-14-22, 04:25 PM
swampyankee2

Bikes: '08 Specialized Sirrus, '92 Trek 820, '72 Raleigh Sports, 60? Fongers single speed, '72 Dawes Galaxy, '67 Robin Hood Lenton Sports

Its about my only hangup about those classic Scwinns. That clunky, heavy steel crankset. The adapter sounds like a great solution.
Old 02-14-22, 07:38 PM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 566 Post(s)
Liked 1,045 Times in 541 Posts
Its about my only hangup about those classic Scwinns. That clunky, heavy steel crankset. The adapter sounds like a great solution.
I’m sure you could find a decent crankset from a forum member, if you don’t have one already, and the conversion+BB will cost less than $40.
Old 02-14-22, 10:08 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 373 Posts
Originally Posted by RustyJames
I did this exact thing on my SS and it worked well.

**Note - you will need to do some grinding inside the BB shell to make the Truvativ adaptor fit properly.
Or, if you have a lathe and/or a friend with machining skills, you can modify the adaptor like I did on my three-speed Super Sport:

Burgundy Super Sport | Flickr

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..
Likes For Jeff Wills:
Old 02-15-22, 06:01 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 280 Posts
Originally Posted by nlerner
Neil, FWIW my SS uses the Truativ adapter and a standard cup-and-cone BB with no issues.

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 02-15-22, 06:27 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3804 Post(s)
Liked 6,643 Times in 2,602 Posts
Originally Posted by top506
Neil, FWIW my SS uses the Truativ adapter and a standard cup-and-cone BB with no issues.

Perhaps the tech has changed, but I remember that one or both sides of the Truvativ cups had lips of sorts, preventing me from getting a wrench on the fixed cup to tighten it down.
Old 02-15-22, 06:30 AM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by Jeff Wills
Or, if you have a lathe and/or a friend with machining skills, you can modify the adaptor like I did on my three-speed Super Sport:

Burgundy Super Sport | Flickr
I do happen to have access to a full machine shop, although these days I just get one of the apprentice toolmakers to do the work for me. LOL
But thanx for the clear-cut pics of the conversion process. It looks like you sourced a new crank spindle and bearing cartridge kit in addition to the adapters.
Old 02-15-22, 10:12 AM
machinist42
mycocyclist

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Paramount P-13 DeLuxe, 1964 Schwinn Sport Super Sport, 1972 Falcon San Remo, 1974 Maserati MT-1, 1974 Raleigh International, 1984 Lotus Odyssey, 198? Rossin Ghibli, 1990 LeMond Le Vanquer (sic), 1991 Specialized Allez Transition Pro, +

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 811 Times in 448 Posts
The Right Way And The High Way

I do happen to have access to a full machine shop, although these days I just get one of the apprentice toolmakers to do the work for me. ...
Well then, have one of the lads fab one of these! (And two for me, if you please?) The advantage is that you will be able to use the extant cups, races and bearings, all of which are virtually indestructible.

from recently sold ebay listing.

And with cups and races:

from sold ebay listing.

And here's Schwinn's Tech Sheet on the Conversion and Item:

Alternatively, you can follow this BF member's lead?

Best of luck whichever path you take.

(I suggest you fab original spindles, and pass them on to BF SS owners on the cheap, but I may be somewhat self serving with that suggestion?)
Old 02-15-22, 04:31 PM
swampyankee2

Originally Posted by machinist42
(I suggest you fab original spindles, and pass them on to BF SS owners on the cheap, but I may be somewhat self serving with that suggestion?)
there's a bunch of operations involved the machining of that spindle. Not the sort of thing an average tool and die shop is set up for. Not to mention it's made out of possibly a 4140 or similar tough alloy and probably heat treated.
I'd gladly pay for the commercially made product.
Old 02-15-22, 06:13 PM
sykerocker 

Bikes: The keepers: 1958 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix, 1968 Ranger, 1969 Magneet Sprint, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1973 Raleigh Tourist, 3 - 1986 Rossins, and a '77 PX-10 frame in process.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 221 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 129 Posts
Go for it! A Super Sport was my first serious ten-speed back in 72-73, by the time I sold it, it was sporting tubular wheels and had been pretty much stripped down. Thirty five years later I built an identical one, then converted it over to cotterless bottom bracket, and a Nervar crank, as detailed above. However, the one I used (got it on Amazon) didn't use the original bottom bracket cups. Rather, you knocked the cups out and replaced them with a Fenix aluminum bracket that was held together by three Alan bolts and was threaded to use a standard English bottom bracket. It worked really well, and looked a lot less kludgy.

As to the Fenix:

https://www.amazon.com/Fenix-Bracket...ps%2C57&sr=8-5

This is the initial build, before I did the bottom bracket conversion. Unfortunately, I don't seem to have any picture of 'after'.

“No one in this world, so far as I know — and I have searched the records for years, and employed agents to help me — has ever lost money by underestimating the intelligence of the great masses of the plain people. Nor has anyone ever lost public office thereby.”

H.L. Mencken, (1926)

Old 02-15-22, 10:38 PM
Jeff Wills
Insane Bicycle Mechanic

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 798 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 373 Posts
I do happen to have access to a full machine shop, although these days I just get one of the apprentice toolmakers to do the work for me. LOL
But thanx for the clear-cut pics of the conversion process. It looks like you sourced a new crank spindle and bearing cartridge kit in addition to the adapters.
Thanks. That bike is an exercise in interchangeability. The crank area consists of:
Truvativ adapter rings
Shimano bottom bracket
Nervar crank arms
TA crank bolts
Velo Orange chainring
MKS pedals
and
SRAM chain

It was fun for me... an old bike mechanic who's been working on bikes for more than 40 years. It shows how fungible bikes really are... and I like to use the word "fungible",

Comcast nuked my web page. It will return soon..

Last edited by Jeff Wills; 02-18-22 at 11:26 PM.
Old 02-16-22, 08:10 AM
Glennfordx4

Bikes: Too many Bicycles to list

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 137 Times in 45 Posts
Well then, have one of the lads fab one of these! (And two for me, if you please?) The advantage is that you will be able to use the extant cups, races and bearings, all of which are virtually indestructible.

And with cups and races:

from sold ebay listing.

They still make adapters like this, I had a bunch for both Doubles & Triples but used all of the doubles up on Schwinn builds no less and bought a new one for another Schwinn build. I have 2 triple setups left I think. The one I bought was for this Varsity that I put a set of Le Tour cranks on.

Last edited by Glennfordx4; 02-16-22 at 08:14 AM.
Old 02-17-22, 01:00 AM
GamblerGORD53

Bikes: 2013 Custom SA5w / Rohloff Tourster

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1233 Post(s)
Liked 318 Times in 245 Posts
My 1973 CCM with new SA XRD3 has a 168 mm 1Pc. It has pitting and something is not square, so I have to run it loose. I did 3 centuries on it last Sept., EASY. The crank with my new Nexus 7i is stiff as a board. WTF.
Far better than any cotter crank.

Last edited by GamblerGORD53; 02-17-22 at 01:05 AM.
Old 02-17-22, 02:01 PM
WilliamK1974

Bikes: Schwinn World, Haro Flightline Sport, Gitane TdF

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 11 Posts

And with cups and races:

from sold ebay listing.

Alternatively, you can follow this BF member's lead?

Best of luck whichever path you take.

I wish these were easy to find as I wouldn't mind putting a triple chainring on my '67 Super Sport. I've just managed to get it into riding condition and am still running the Ashtabula crank. Having a lower gear would be nice with the hilly terrain in this area.
Old 02-17-22, 04:18 PM
pastorbobnlnh 
Freewheel Medic

Bikes: Snazzy* Schwinns, Classy Cannondales & a Super Pro Aero Lotus (* Ed.)

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Quoted: 1452 Post(s)
Liked 2,186 Times in 961 Posts
WilliamK1974 a work around can be finding a suitable 74BCD chainring (or even a 30T or 32T Suntour freewheel sprocket),and drilling the needed mount holes in the steel spider and taping them to accept bolts. This could even be accomplished with a hand drill.

Thanks for visiting my website: www.freewheelspa.com

Old 02-17-22, 04:21 PM
Hudson308 
Mr. Anachronism

Bikes: fillet-brazed Chicago Schwinns, and some other stuff

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 256 Times in 165 Posts
Originally Posted by WilliamK1974
I wish these were easy to find as I wouldn't mind putting a triple chainring on my '67 Super Sport. I've just managed to get it into riding condition and am still running the Ashtabula crank. Having a lower gear would be nice with the hilly terrain in this area.
This 136mm spindle conversion looks long enough for a triple.
Or another truly ugly option is this.
Old 02-26-22, 08:13 PM
mf70

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Sprint triple

I'm pretty happy with my "upgrade" for my Sprint. I got the Truvative BSA conversion and mounted an old silver SRAM Truvative triple. Since GXP bottom brackets only use the non-drive side bearing for lateral positioning, the fact that the Schwinn's BB shell is only 55mm wide didn't make much difference. I used ~5mm of foam on the drive side instead of the wavy washer. Heh, it only saves 500g from the steel crank, though weight savings wasn't why I was doing it. The stock Schwinn front derraileur handles the triple and the chain line is perfect.

The stem shifters also were replaced with Suntour bar end units, while the Winemann brake levers left in favor of these. The broad resin frames are pretty comfy and are almost as convenient as the old suicide levers. Things look a lot tidier in the office now.

Mark