Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

?? Tandem Recumbent ??

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

?? Tandem Recumbent ??

Old 05-07-22, 11:54 AM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 23 Posts
?? Tandem Recumbent ??

Does anybody have an idea about what bike this might be? I have the chance to buy it. The components seem OK, just wondering if anyone knows anything about it. Thanks for the help.

Old 05-07-22, 01:33 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Maybe a Trident?

There aren't many manufacturers for tadpole tandem trikes. Greenspeed from Australia was one but the owner died and the company name has been taken over by Terratrike. It is not a GS tandem because the frame is much different. You can see a GS GTO tandem on CL https://inlandempire.craigslist.org/...469973597.html It is pretty easy to spot a GS tandem as the mesh seats were nearly always bright yellow. This one seems to be priced reasonably but has been there nearly a month now. I own a single GS GTO trike and it is right up there with the best quality trikes.

Here is a picture of an older Trident Chameleon trike https://bicycleman.com/used-trident-chameleon-tandem/ that was sold recently by Bicycleman in Alfred NY for $2K. If like this one, the one you are looking at has the SRAM dual-drive in the rear, it predates 2015 when SRAM discontinued the hub. What makes me think your trike might be an older Trident is the frame coupler that is visible in the last picture. Trident uses at least two of them and perhaps four on their trikes. It's the silver thing in front of the derailleur in the picture.
Old 05-07-22, 02:12 PM
NitroExpress

Bikes: 1974 Mirella ~ Campy Record Group, 1985 Maruishi Mountain Ace 18, 1999 Waterford 2200, 2023 Poseidon X Ambition (with lots of upgrades)

Thanks, I have not seen any trikes with the wing shaped front beam like this one...
Old 05-08-22, 05:36 AM
TennBent

Bikes: BMC Roadmachine, Obed Baseline

Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
To me, it appears to be an old Organic Engines Troika tandem except that it has been modified to have all of the drivetrain on the right side. Look at this photo here: https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/bikefor...92a2ac9927.jpg

You can see the "wing" shape on the cruciform, as well as the two smaller tubes running down the top and all of the vertical supports between the upper and lower tubes.
Old 05-08-22, 07:25 AM
NitroExpress

I would have to agree TennBent, thanks
Old 05-09-22, 07:32 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2473 Post(s)
Liked 722 Times in 513 Posts
Yep. That's a 'Troika'. I've never seen one that wasn't Red. I'll want something like that someday, but for as long as I can still balance 'Big Red' we will risk the rare capsize. Best of luck with 'Blue Thunder'.
Old 05-11-22, 08:00 AM
NitroExpress

I like that "Blue Thunder"! I did end up buying it, will be taking it home this weekend (I bought it while working out of town). Hope my wife likes it. She rides a recumbent, but my son & I are road riders. This will be my first time on a recumbent. If she likes it, the bike will need a complete tear down and cleaning / lube. Depending on how she like riding it, I may have it powder coated. Will post some better pics when I get home...
Old 05-12-22, 07:54 AM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 521 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
Organic Engines went out of business in 2013 so proprietary parts are going to be hard to find and maybe non-existent. The good thing is that most wear parts are not proprietary. I own a vintage Haluzak Horizon and Bill Haluzak closed shop even before Organic Engines stopped production. The owner of Organic Engines had a real history of being unresponsive to customers near the end. Lots of complaints about him similar to what Windcheetah owners experienced (but maybe not quite that bad).
Old 05-12-22, 12:41 PM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
wow - cool!!!
Old 05-18-22, 12:42 PM
No Whey

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Parts and all

Originally Posted by VegasTriker
Organic Engines went out of business in 2013 so proprietary parts are going to be hard to find and maybe non-existent. The good thing is that most wear parts are not proprietary. I own a vintage Haluzak Horizon and Bill Haluzak closed shop even before Organic Engines stopped production. The owner of Organic Engines had a real history of being unresponsive to customers near the end. Lots of complaints about him similar to what Windcheetah owners experienced (but maybe not quite that bad).
AFAIK the only custom parts other than THE SEATS and this was very early on, would have been one of the Sturmey-Archer drum brakes, as one of them was customized by some guy in Holland or something as a mirror of the other standard drum brake to make for some symmetry and better cable-handling.

Blue Thunder has disks, so I doubt anything other than THE SEATS would be proprietary.

It is likely a powder coat finish. So if you have it repainted, consider the cost of removal. He sold quite a few seats separately as I recall. knowing him he still has the jig for bending the tubing.

Enjoy your rides!

No Whey