Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what *else* do you do for exercise?

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what *else* do you do for exercise?

Old 06-22-22, 03:07 PM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 768 Times in 491 Posts
Originally Posted by ofajen
Mostly I alternate biking with going to the rec center and working out on weight machines and the stair climber. Also some walking as the rec center has an indoor track. These days I’ve been biking there and back.

During the six or so weeks in winter when the trails are iced up, I just go to the rec center and I add in some time on a spinning bike along with the other stuff.

At home we have a good elliptical machine that I use occasionally, particularly in winter, along with free weights.

Otto
I do the same and look to play table tennis in the centers.
Use to play tournament tennis but thats brutal on the body.
Old 06-22-22, 03:08 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts
My other exercises have to do with brain and mind. I do crosswords everyday, I do a lot of reading. I try meditation, but am not good at it. I have not been able to still my mind and body enough to the point of actual meditation. So, my biking gets as close to a contented, stillness of the mind as I ever get.
Old 06-22-22, 03:21 PM
VegasJen

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 839 Post(s)
Liked 533 Times in 292 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
Swimming, and formerly running, and now rowing. Started out as a runner in h.s. (in the late 70s), I got into cycling and swimming in the early 80s when those newfangled, crazy events called triathlon started popping up. I did lots of them for the next few decades. About 8-10 years ago my knees and hip began to go south so the running pretty much ended. I continued/increased swimming and cycling. But for for a long time I’ve wanted to try rowing. Very recently I was able to pick up a used rowing scull for very cheap. So I’m trying that now.

Dan
One of the reasons I don't run as often is because of my knees and hips also. When I was in the military, I actually preferred running and averaged about 50-75 miles a week on my own. But I had to "diversify" to reduce the load on the joints, so I hear where you're coming from. I've never tried rowing though. And now that I'm arthritic in my back, I don't see that happening either.
Originally Posted by ThermionicScott
Yer mom.
Rude. But she is single if you'd like, I could put you in touch.
Originally Posted by Germany_chris
My wife and I are divers, my daughter is a competition swimmer.

I'm a Floridian so swimming/boating skills were a thing for me, the women in my life have all been divers so getting certified was a priority. The flip side is while I didn't love being "Airborne" while in the Army I did take to sky diving in a modest way, my wife and daughter have taken to it with a vengeance. In my old job civilians got to jump once a year with the resident Army and Navy cool guys and the invites went to my wife with a +1 (me) even though I worked 100" from their buildings.

In the end my wife and now 17yo daughter have no fear except for cold, but if you want to do anything fun their with you because their addicted to adrenaline.
I wish I had the opportunity to try parachuting when I was in the military. Sadly, they don't let just anybody do it. I know I could still try it now, and one day... maybe. But I really would have liked to have done it when I was younger.
Old 06-22-22, 03:24 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Some days, it's 12oz curls. Heavy days are 16. All are reps to failure, of course.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 06-22-22, 03:29 PM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by VegasJen
One of the reasons I don't run as often is because of my knees and hips also. When I was in the military, I actually preferred running and averaged about 50-75 miles a week on my own. But I had to "diversify" to reduce the load on the joints, so I hear where you're coming from. I've never tried rowing though. And now that I'm arthritic in my back, I don't see that happening either.

I wish I had the opportunity to try parachuting when I was in the military. Sadly, they don't let just anybody do it. I know I could still try it now, and one day... maybe. But I really would have liked to have done it when I was younger.
By the time I went to Airborne school in 2000 everybody and their sister could go. The school has some mystique still but really it was some slow running, some pull ups, and some overcoming of fears (the 250" tower almost made me quit). The best part of the whole thing was I never had to jump for a living but 10th SFG had what is in essence a PR day so I got to jump with them.
Old 06-22-22, 03:42 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 878 Post(s)
Liked 2,019 Times in 1,055 Posts
Nada.

During a recent PT eval, the therapist said "thank god for cycling". In other words, in the range of motion used by cycling my joints are smooth as silk. Outside that range, it's like a 61 y/o couch potato body.
Likes For downtube42:
Old 06-22-22, 04:05 PM
kahn

Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 690 Times in 396 Posts
Since I've started doing the triathlon thing, I've expanded my exercise regime to include multiple different disciplines. One reason I don't put a ton of miles on my bike(s) is because I only ride once or twice a week. I also swim, run, elliptical train and weight train (upper body). And I try to mix things up so I don't get too comfortable with one element and lose skill in another.

I have an older Precor that came out of a gym, so it's good quality even for its age. I use it when it's excessively hot or cold, or just sometimes I use it for "generic" cardio work out.

I always thought I was a pretty good swimmer, and I'm a strong swimmer, but I have come to accept that I'm slow. This has become most obvious in my triathlons. I am always one of the last people out of the water. When I was younger, I mostly spent time swimming in lakes and rivers, much more rarely swimming in a pool. I don't think my high school even considered the idea of swimming as a competitive sport. Even if they did, the school simply did not have the resources ($$$) to build and maintain a pool. I'm starting to swim more as part of my training now but we only have one public pool in town and it's only open for about three months during the summer. I asked why that is, especially out here in the desert, water temperature should keep the pool open 7-8 months a year, but the manager explained the problem is they can only get high school kids to be life guards so the only time the pool can be open is during the summer break.

As for weights, I just do some regular curls and shoulder exercises to strengthen and tone my upper body, and I do that mostly for my swims. Low weight (relatively speaking), high reps. I try to save my legs for the ride and the run so I swim almost entirely with upper body. I really only started with the weight training last fall but I can already tell a significant difference when I swim. The last triathlon I did, I knocked almost 10 minutes off my swim time and I was nowhere near as tired when I got out of the water. In fact, going swimming tomorrow morning. Public pool is open from 7-10:30am for laps.

I grew up lower middle class Miss'ippi girl so any bike I had came from a ____-Mart store. Hell, until just a few years ago, I thought there were only two bike sizes: children and adult. And being short and of "limited means" I often rode hand-me-down or used bikes that didn't fit, but I didn't know it at the time. The first *real* bike I got was a 54cm Cannondale about five years ago. It was too tall for me but that's when I discovered the difference between a China-bomb crap bike and a real bike. I have since sold off the Cannondale. Great bike but it was definitely too tall for me, and have replaced it with a small collection of 49 and 50cm bikes from Specialized, K2 and Trek. These actually fit me and now that I know the difference, I can never go back.

I often tell people that I grew up in a skating rink, which is only slightly a hyperbolic statement. I tell people that from about the time I was 7 until around 19, the local skating rink was both a hang out and "baby sitter" for me. I would often go skating after school on Friday afternoon, most of the day Saturday and a lot of Sundays as well. I grew up in the South so it was all hard wood rinks. I grew up on the "quad" skates but made the jump to inline skates in the 90s and today I have a hard time with the old quad skates. I've ice skated a few times. Just the fact that I have as much experience skating as I do, especially the inline skating, transfers a lot of skill to ice skating, but I definitely am not as comfortable or proficient on ice as I am on hard wood or asphalt.

And even at 52 I still speed skate regularly. I have a course mapped out at the local high school parking lot and I do 500m and 1000m sprints. Even now, I can do 500m in about 80 seconds. My 1000m average is obviously a little higher, around 2m,45s. Certainly not setting the world on fire but I think that's a decent pace for an old woman. I have a pair of Bont 110mm speed skates I bought a few years ago that I really need to replace, and I probably will when (if) I get my finances a little more secure.

I try to stay well-rounded, and not just my figure. I was not blessed with an athletic build. Quite the opposite in fact. My whole family is kind of that way. "Tree stump" and "fire hydrant" are common descriptors of both the men and women in my family. All of the athletics I do is sheer force of will, it does not come naturally.

So what other disciplines do you incorporate to stay in shape? Or do you stick mostly to riding?
Here's what I did yesterday after biking the day before

Likes For kahn:
Old 06-22-22, 04:21 PM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Quoted: 811 Post(s)
Liked 1,946 Times in 936 Posts
Rotator Cuffs are both shot and I need to PT both and accept that pain is part of progress.
I am a caretaker for octogenarian parents so there is some lifting required and along with that a lot of gardening, landscaping, painting and restorative projects to maintain a 50 y/o home.

Besides riding 2-3 times per week about 100-150 miles, I dog walk/hike about 25 miles per week.
I will resume weights/resistance training as part of a strength/rehab program.
I doubt I will be able to freestyle swim again.

Good thread!
Likes For CAT7RDR:
Old 06-22-22, 04:37 PM
delbiker1 
Mother Nature's Son

Bikes: 2014 Orbea Avant MD30, 2004 Airborne Zeppelin TI, 2003 Lemond Poprad, 2001 Lemond Tourmalet, 2014? Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 838 Post(s)
Liked 1,414 Times in 801 Posts

Jumping out of an airplane was not something I ever aspired to do. However, a close friend that was dying footed the bill for a trip to Hawaii for 4 of us, 2017 He had jumped a couple of times from 3000 feet, IIRC. He wanted to jump while in Hawaii, so, I got up one morning and booked a slot for all four of us. Dave and I were not sure the other two were actually going to go through with it, but they did. We jumped from 14,000 feet, 45 seconds of freefall. What a rush. It was definitely one of the more exciting and memorable things I have ever done. Dave passed at the end of January 2018. All of us have a picture of the 4 of us just before boarding the plane. I was 65 at the time, and I thought I might do it again, but has not happened, and doubt that it will.

I think it was 2020, maybe 2019, a plane taking jumpers up at the same location, crashed and killed all 8 aboard. I have no idea, but, I could not help wondering if it was the same plane we were in.
Old 06-22-22, 05:00 PM
bkaapcke

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 118 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 25 Posts
I have a rowing machine that has hydraulic cylinders hooked to the handlebars. This allows for both pushing and pulling. Nice compact unit that does the job well. German made Kettler Favorit. I had two brackets with wheels welded to the front crossbar. Now I can pick up the back of it and roll it into the closet so it is out of the way until next time want to I use it. BK
Old 06-22-22, 07:19 PM
Roll123

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Jogging
Old 06-22-22, 07:38 PM
The Chemist

Bikes: Waltly Custom Ti // Seaboard CX01 // Dahon Boardwalk

Quoted: 121 Post(s)
Liked 519 Times in 242 Posts
Pretty much nothing, but I ride around 250km a week so that's pretty much enough for me.
Old 06-22-22, 08:06 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 169 Post(s)
Liked 387 Times in 223 Posts
Mostly running. I was a runner in HS and college competing on both teams. I don't run nearly as much as I used to due to injuries, age, I also hike when the weather permits.
Old 06-23-22, 01:32 AM
thejazz

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
heavy squat/ running
Old 06-23-22, 02:47 AM
LarrySellerz

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 2644 Post(s)
Liked 474 Times in 344 Posts
I used to bodysurf in the cold pacific without a wetsuit but now I im afraid of the waves and just chill in the ocean avoiding waves. Being in a cold water environment (50-60 degrees) takes a lot out of you but is good for your health, builds "brown fat" which is more metabotically active. Look up the Wim Hof method for info on cold exposure.
Old 06-23-22, 09:57 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
My latest cross-training is nordic cross-skates. Think roller skates with much bigger wheels and also poles, more like cross-country skiing. You can take them anywhere so instead of going to a special track you can go on any low-traffic bike route. The poles make it possible to get up steep hills. Since you like skating you might like this as a more "endurance" version of roller skating.
Old 06-25-22, 12:56 AM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by LarrySellerz
I used to bodysurf in the cold pacific without a wetsuit but now I im afraid of the waves and just chill in the ocean avoiding waves. Being in a cold water environment (50-60 degrees) takes a lot out of you but is good for your health, builds "brown fat" which is more metabotically active. Look up the Wim Hof method for info on cold exposure.
I've heard of this.
Originally Posted by scottfsmith
My latest cross-training is nordic cross-skates. Think roller skates with much bigger wheels and also poles, more like cross-country skiing. You can take them anywhere so instead of going to a special track you can go on any low-traffic bike route. The poles make it possible to get up steep hills. Since you like skating you might like this as a more "endurance" version of roller skating.
I've seen this before. They look quite heavy. I imagine they have to be a pretty stout workout.
Old 06-25-22, 09:07 AM
scottfsmith
I like bike

Bikes: Roubaix Comp 2020

Quoted: 267 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 191 Posts
I've seen this before. They look quite heavy. I imagine they have to be a pretty stout workout.
The weight is similar to roller blades.. each roller blade on average is about 2kg. Each nordic cross-skate weighs from 2 to 2.5kg depending on the make and model. So, a little heavier but not radically different.
Old 06-25-22, 01:02 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by scottfsmith
The weight is similar to roller blades.. each roller blade on average is about 2kg. Each nordic cross-skate weighs from 2 to 2.5kg depending on the make and model. So, a little heavier but not radically different.
Wow. I'm surprised they can keep them that light.
Old 06-25-22, 05:02 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 526 Post(s)
Liked 724 Times in 381 Posts
I play squash. It’s a very high-energy sport which keeps your heart rate up, and keeps you quick on your feet. You can play solo and still get a great workout. Equipment isn’t expensive, and the learning curve isn’t that large.
Old 06-25-22, 07:13 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
I play squash. It’s a very high-energy sport which keeps your heart rate up, and keeps you quick on your feet. You can play solo and still get a great workout. Equipment isn’t expensive, and the learning curve isn’t that large.
Isn't that like racketball? I can't really do anything like that anymore thanks to knees worn out in the military.
Old 06-25-22, 07:27 PM
Airfehr

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 48 Posts
Cycling is my cross training to keep in shape for ski touring. I would suggest to the OP training at elevation. Assuming VegasJen lives in Vegas the Spring Mountains has miles of beautiful trails over 10,000 feet.
Old 06-25-22, 08:34 PM
VegasJen

Originally Posted by Airfehr
Cycling is my cross training to keep in shape for ski touring. I would suggest to the OP training at elevation. Assuming VegasJen lives in Vegas the Spring Mountains has miles of beautiful trails over 10,000 feet.
I don't live *in* Vegas, but close enough. I know there are trails up in the mountains but I'm just not much of a "nature girl". I much prefer asphalt, air conditioning and running water. I'm spoiled like that.
Old 06-25-22, 11:49 PM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 424 Post(s)
Liked 272 Times in 200 Posts
weights and trx at home. When I had free yoga classes I used todo that 3 to 5 times a week.
Old 06-26-22, 07:59 AM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 334 Times in 206 Posts
Mostly just cycling.
But a couple days a week I'll walk super slow on the treadmill while watching the news.

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.