Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Ok, so what's the big deal about TA bottle cages?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-12, 06:59 AM
b dub 
CL Addict

Bikes: '50s Leon Cattrysse - late 50s Raleigh Lenton Sports - 1960/61 Raleigh Lenton Grand Prix - '72 Canadian Tire Company Supercycle - '74 Raleigh International - '83 Nishiki Cresta - '84 Centurion Turbo - '86 v. Herwerden (Chesini) - '87 Specialized Sirr

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 96 Times in 59 Posts

From time to time I stumble upon TA bottle cages on eBay selling for disproportionately large amounts of money. And this does not seem to be a fluke. Am I missing something?

What makes them so special? Just curious..

Last edited by b dub; 10-21-12 at 07:03 AM.
Old 10-21-12, 07:02 AM
rootboy 

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 556 Post(s)
Liked 132 Times in 78 Posts
They aint making them anymore and they go properly with that Raleigh on your list?
Likes For rootboy:
Old 10-21-12, 07:56 AM
Citoyen du Monde

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
TA cages were used almost everywhere back in the day and look the part for almost any restoration. There are few modern bottle cages that suit restorations of pre-80's bikes, so the ones that can be found often sell for premium prices.

BTW, even though I love using them on my restorations, I do find that they are not the most resistant to rust, and you will often find them with pickled finish.
Likes For Citoyen du Monde:
Old 10-21-12, 08:37 AM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 198 Times in 124 Posts
Originally Posted by Citoyen du Monde
TA cages were used almost everywhere back in the day and look the part for almost any restoration. There are few modern bottle cages that suit restorations of pre-80's bikes, so the ones that can be found often sell for premium prices.

BTW, even though I love using them on my restorations, I do find that they are not the most resistant to rust, and you will often find them with pickled finish.
+1
Old 10-21-12, 08:53 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
its dem cool oldstyle bottle cages with the plastic bits.
just cant get them anymore.

I just finished a bike to sell and I almost was stupid enough to put one on!
I put on a new shiny one so there is no feeling of loss.

I dont know what bottle this fits-maybe some help?
it is a thin one, I got the rack and no bottle so it is very available
Old 10-21-12, 09:33 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3582 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 1,929 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
Campagnolo "Biodynamica," maybe?

Old 10-21-12, 09:33 AM
dbakl

Bikes: Cinelli, Paramount, Raleigh, Carlton, Zeus, Gemniani, Frejus, Legnano, Pinarello, Falcon

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
TA cages were the standard back in the day.
Likes For dbakl:
Old 10-21-12, 11:15 AM
puchfinnland
MIKE is my name!

Bikes: hans lutz, , puch mistral ultima,2x Austro Daimler Smoked chrome Ultima,Austro Daimler Mixte,Austro Daimler 531 mixte, flying arrow,F Moser,

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
the shape is not the same, campagnolo likes to put their name on everything and I dont remember seeing it.
Old 10-21-12, 11:59 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
Not only were TA cages standard back in the day, so were TA bottles:

Old 10-21-12, 12:51 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
It's pretty silly. I really don't give a hoot what my bottle cages look like.

The TA might have invented that design, and many companies copied it for a few years. As a result, it looks as plain as can be to my eyes. That's probably because I "came of age" right around that time.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 10-21-12, 02:38 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by southpawboston
Not only were TA cages standard back in the day, so were TA bottles:

That was the version I first used, the TA "criterium" cage. I liked it as it only required one clamp and was all steel. On later bikes I bought the first alloy cages TA introduced as keeping the chrome nice on them was too much effort. And of course, they were "lighter"!
I have been reluctant to spend the big dollars the market tolerates for almost any TA cage now.
I now find myself with a few bikes that need cages, so I am looking around.
One I liked was the Ciussi inox cage but it has crept up in price quite a bit, I have had no bottle marking problems as some have. It looks reasonably vintage correct when the frame has brazed on bottle mounts.
Old 10-21-12, 03:40 PM
ftwelder

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
I just love the steel ones. I am not too concerned about ebay prices on French stuff because it seems to be plentiful in this area but they are also a quality product that works quite well and will outlast an alloy cage by 10X.

I think they look nice on older bikes also.

29 289 by barnstormerbikes, on Flickr
Old 10-21-12, 05:07 PM
IthaDan 

Bikes: Click on the #YOLO

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by puchfinnland
its dem cool oldstyle bottle cages with the plastic bits.
just cant get them anymore.

I just finished a bike to sell and I almost was stupid enough to put one on!
I put on a new shiny one so there is no feeling of loss.

It IS a biodinamica, just not the one linked-

Shimano : Click :: Campy : Snap :: SRAM : Bang
Old 10-21-12, 05:39 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,827 Times in 1,995 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
It's pretty silly. I really don't give a hoot what my bottle cages look like.

The TA might have invented that design, and many companies copied it for a few years. As a result, it looks as plain as can be to my eyes. That's probably because I "came of age" right around that time.
The problem with many of the TA copies is that they were not of welded construction, but often crimped together. The crimping often did not hold.
Likes For repechage:
Old 10-21-12, 05:44 PM
bertinjim 

Bikes: 1970s Alex Singer, 1960s Peugeot PX 10, 1960s Bertin C37, 1973 Carre Bertin C 37, 1972 Carlton Kermesse, 1981 Peugeot PX 14 Super Competition

Mentioned: 65 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 266 Times in 157 Posts
b dub

The steel TA cages were hell for strong - you could actually lift a bike with one. They held bottles really tightly on rough surfaced terrain and roads. As well, they had clear, white and black plastic clips and could be colour co-ordinated with accessories. Lastly, the alloy cages were very light but had the regretable habit of marking bottles and, eventually, sagging under the weight of a full water bottle. Great cages and they remain the only ones I use even today.

bertinjim
Old 10-21-12, 05:56 PM
Andycapp

Bikes: Tommasini Super Prestige, Kamra Triathlee, Nishiki Tri-A equipe', Sakai 2000

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by IthaDan
It IS a biodinamica, just not the one linked-

+1 and mine is not stamped or marked either.
Old 06-02-19, 11:11 PM
michael.anger

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did Bianchi use T.A. in the 80s? It looks like it in some older catalog pics (with that black plastic clip) but would they really have used French bottle cages??
Old 06-02-19, 11:34 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

I have the standard REG (Italian) bottle cage on my '82 Bianchi Campione del Mondo:

Old 06-02-19, 11:42 PM
michael.anger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
I have the standard REG (Italian) bottle cage on my '82 Bianchi Campione del Mondo:
Thanks Gary! I just stumbled over REG cages online as well. That's more likely what I see in the catalogs... Beautiful bikes, by the way!
Old 06-03-19, 12:00 AM
Gary Fountain

Originally Posted by michael.anger
Thanks Gary! I just stumbled over REG cages online as well. That's more likely what I see in the catalogs... Beautiful bikes, by the way!
Yes, the REG cages do appear in the Bianchi catalogues on the 'Bulgier' site. I love the old TA cages but the REG cages did appear on quite a few bikes and they were quality cages and similar to the TA cages. Being 70's/80's technology, they both suffered from design problems such as loose tops and frames twisting sideways. They are an almost must have item to give your vintage racing bike a period correct feel.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 06-03-19 at 12:09 AM.
Old 06-03-19, 12:24 AM
michael.anger

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
They are an almost must have item to give your vintage racing bike a period correct feel.
That's what I'm here for I got (what I believe is) a 1986 Nuova Alloro that needs a bottle cage - and in general a whole lot of TLC... but that's for another thread. Thanks again!
Old 06-03-19, 01:07 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,287 Times in 858 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
The problem with many of the TA copies is that they were not of welded construction, but often crimped together. The crimping often did not hold.
The copies were usually spot-welded or resistance-welded with small contact area, nowhere near as strong as the TA cages that were brazed to the bracket. The brazing was crazy-strong, leaving no failure points (other than possibly the bracket itself from repeated bending).
Old 06-03-19, 07:54 AM
kohl57

Bikes: https://www.ipernity.com/doc/286349/album/550107

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 22 Posts
Oh it's Monday and I'll take the bait.

The "big deal" with TA bottle cages (and REG ones, too) is that they are among the essential "little bits" that, to me anyway, make or break a classic racing cycle restoration. As previously mentioned, they were the standard high quality bottle cage of the classic 1970s-early 80s era along with REG ones for Italian marques. And, yes, the bottle is just as essential. In my eyes, nothing lets down a restoration more than modern bottles (those horrid long things) and modern all black tyres rather than beige sided ones. You can find reasonably decent cheap knock-offs, too, which are indeed period correct, too and date from the 1970s as well.

But your bike, your business, of course. Like any hobby, there are evolved conventions and standards which mean only something to those who choose to abide by them.

But there are sufficient number of "passionate for prototypical" folks out there to make these accessories fetch way more money that we think they should.

You can also start a restoration with the bottle and the cage, I scored an original Brooklyn Team bidon about a year before I got a 1975 Gios frame to go with it. Paid $45 for the bottle and about $175 (!) for the frame. And that is what "price" and "value" in collecting anything comes down to: desire and opportunity.

There have been some attempts to make replica bidons but none quite pass muster in appearance somehow.

Peter Kohler
Washington, DC USA
Old 06-03-19, 08:19 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Originally Posted by michael.anger
Did Bianchi use T.A. in the 80s? It looks like it in some older catalog pics (with that black plastic clip) but would they really have used French bottle cages??
Bianchi, like every other bike company of the time, generally did not include a cage with the bike. They were sold as aftermarket add ons. However, IIRC, the top racing model often came with a 'free' bottle and cage, depending on the year. They would have been Italian, not French... Probably REG, Cobra or ALE.

TA was the standard bottle cage in the 70s, and the bottles were common too. IIRC I bought my first one at Thrifty's, believe it or not. TA dominance lasted up until the Blackburn and similar cages came out in the early to mid 80s. Then they slowly fizzled out. The bad 80s era TA alloy cages didn't help.
Old 06-03-19, 08:28 AM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
If you saw a silver cage with a black plastic clip that looked like TA, it was probably a Cobra cage. They were more or less an exact copy. TA came with whitish plastic clips. The pricier heat treated (?) alloy cages were black with gold clips. In the 80s a cheaper alloy TA cage came out that was silver with black clips. I suppose if it was the Bianchi USA catalog, could have been one of those.

VeloBase.com - Component: Cobra water bottle cage (type 1)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.