Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area
Reload this Page >

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Ask your small, random, track-related questions here

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-14, 11:09 AM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slindell
Marymoor tried a point a lap + miss and out a couple of years ago. Something about a 35mph neutral lap at the start and the scoring complexities led to it being requested to not be run again by the racers and the officials.
One race that is a staple just north in Burnaby is an Antequena, but it is an "almost never" at Marymoor...
Great race, they work just fine the times I've done them, I wish they were more common- a fantastically tactical race where there's fun and the front and at the back of the string.

I know that there was one of these last year (I was in it), and it worked fine- no confusion other than convincing racers they had to think about more than one thing at a time.
Old 10-17-14, 05:30 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
One race that is a staple just north in Burnaby is an Antequena, but it is an "almost never" at Marymoor...
Great race, they work just fine the times I've done them, I wish they were more common- a fantastically tactical race where there's fun and the front and at the back of the string.

I know that there was one of these last year (I was in it), and it worked fine- no confusion other than convincing racers they had to think about more than one thing at a time.
Could you please explain the race format/rules. I searched Google but came up blank in reference to a bike race.
Old 10-18-14, 10:28 PM
TurtleRacer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Floor pumps suitable for high pressures

Any recommendations for a track pump suitable for high pressure tubs (over 120 psi)? (Normally I read reviews, but most people don't use there pumps for high pressures)

My filzer pro team pump head (lever type) flies off once I hit 120
Old 10-19-14, 04:28 AM
Bulldogsprinter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
SKS Rennkompressor
Old 10-19-14, 10:04 AM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacer
Any recommendations for a track pump suitable for high pressure tubs (over 120 psi)? (Normally I read reviews, but most people don't use there pumps for high pressures)

I have a Lezyne Classic floor pump. Range is over 200 psi. I use several times a week for 4 or 5 years now with no problems and no maintenance. I like that it has the threaded connector to the tire valve (may not work for disc wheels but maybe Lezyne has a solution).

My local velodrome also has one of these pumps with the addition of a pressure release button on the screw-on adapter.

Last edited by 700wheel; 10-19-14 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Update
Old 10-19-14, 12:20 PM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bulldogsprinter
SKS Rennkompressor
Which pump head does your Rennkompressor have? I'm dubious of lever-style pump heads at higher pressures.
Old 10-19-14, 12:40 PM
zizou

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The mechanics and coaches i know - some with decades worth of experience - all use the Rennkompressor, i cant think of any other bit of kit that is so universal. It is reliable plus you can get spare parts for it if needed (including different types of head)
Old 10-19-14, 01:37 PM
Bulldogsprinter

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have an aftermarket Hirame pump head.
Old 10-19-14, 03:34 PM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by TurtleRacer

I used a Specialized "HP" pump that I got at a local shop in 2012. Still going strong.
Old 10-19-14, 04:23 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got an older Silca SuperPista, 200psi is no problem, parts are easily source-able and always will be.
Old 10-19-14, 08:23 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im a big fan of thread on pumps, although you have to be careful when taking them off to not unthread your extensions. Lyzne has a version that goes to 160 and 220, both are solid.

Now does anyone have one that fits in a suitcase?!
Old 10-19-14, 09:05 PM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob
Im a big fan of thread on pumps, although you have to be careful when taking them off to not unthread your extensions. Lyzne has a version that goes to 160 and 220, both are solid.

Lezyne does...sort of.... depending on the size of your suitcase, it's 60cm tall: https://www.amazon.com/Lezyne-CNC-Tra.../dp/B005UZMUDA
Old 10-19-14, 11:06 PM
carleton
Elitist

While we are on the subject, if you are going to pay for a high-end pump, maybe consider a Craftsman handheld air compressor. It goes up to 200PSI. You have to cut off the stock valve and put on one of your choosing. It has a digital readout on the back.

These are AWESOME for pumping up disc with one hand.

They cost $40 if you already have comparable Craftsman rechargeable battery packs. If not, the battery and charger are an additional $70.

It's a luxury, but a really nice one. If you are a team mechanic, I would count this a "must have" item for track days.

An old teammate of mine has one and it's very popular when we are there setting up for a race day or training session. "Hey, can I use that for a sec..." When he finishes with it, he stashes it in his bag because he knows people like to use it.

Last edited by carleton; 10-19-14 at 11:09 PM.
Old 10-20-14, 07:42 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
yeah, the Rennkompressor is a good pump. probably the best lever-headed pump around.
Old 10-20-14, 10:27 AM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gtrob

The Specialized Compak is supposed to go to 200 psi and is reported to work well by the one person I have seen with one. Birzman has a high pressure duplicate of the Lyzene travel pump, no idea on if it really works. Taking the base off a Silca super pista takes about 2 minutes for off and on and makes it easy to pack in the bike bag.

As for heads - as mentioned the Lyzene holds well but can unscrew extensions, Silca works but like other press on adapters can requires some pulling to get off with threaded stems which can stress clincher tubes.

For something that lives in the car there are 12v (plug in or battery) high pressure tire pumps in the auto section that go to 240psi. I found one on sale for 10$ a couple of years ago that works great for one handed filling of disk wheels. The recent Silca crack pipes have a Schrader end that goes directly in the auto pumps or the Sears one Carleton mentioned.
Old 10-21-14, 09:05 AM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The propriatary Disc Chuck on my Lyzene stays in place without being held on the valve stem about 85% of the time- making it really easy to pump your own disc on race day..

Also the threaded head allows you to not add extensions on your valve stems with Deep-V's since you need less of the stem showing...
Old 10-22-14, 12:53 AM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the feedback! I like the idea of having an electric pump, but I don't like dealing with batteries and charging.

I ordered a Rennkompressor from amazon.ca - quite a bit cheaper than the lezyne I was looking at. I should have my tubulars glued up by the time it arrives and then the proof is in the pudding.
Old 10-22-14, 06:06 AM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anyone ever been to madrid velodrome? If so, how easy is it to get a sesh there, and are bikes available?

going on a little training hol' in March but with the road bike. Just before the track league starts over here, would like to sample the madrid track if poss.
Old 10-23-14, 11:55 PM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Random pro-tip (from a noob): if you have a lever-head pump that pops off at higher pressures (especially with non-threaded valves), a wrap of painters tape on the stem may help keep the valve on.

(My pump that was popping off over 100psi on my unthreaded valve extensions was secure up to 140psi). Necessity is the mother of invention: I needed to glue my tubulars and my new pump hadn't arrived.
Old 10-24-14, 10:19 PM
MarkWW

Bikes: A little of each

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Here's a scenario I think we all can relate to: Your mechanic is in the infield setting up your felt tk1 with your zipp 900 front track disc when he runs into a problem. The axle bolt caps that come stock with the zipp disc are just too large in diameter to fit over the lawyer tabs on the bottom of the fork to secure the wheel properly. How embarrassing.

Well, worry not! I recently found out that the "ultra new" Surly hubs use the same diameter bolt on their hubs. I think it's an M6. The important part here is the bolt cap that Surly uses is a smaller diameter, while also being a lower profile. Time to dust off that disc and get some sweet PRs.
Old 10-25-14, 04:09 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by MarkWW
Here's a scenario I think we all can relate to: Your mechanic is in the infield setting up your felt tk1 with your zipp 900 front track disc when he runs into a problem. The axle bolt caps that come stock with the zipp disc are just too large in diameter to fit over the lawyer tabs on the bottom of the fork to secure the wheel properly. How embarrassing.

Well, worry not! I recently found out that the "ultra new" Surly hubs use the same diameter bolt on their hubs. I think it's an M6. The important part here is the bolt cap that Surly uses is a smaller diameter, while also being a lower profile. Time to dust off that disc and get some sweet PRs.
Yeah, Zipp uses some odd nuts. I replaced the nuts on my 900 disc with Dura Ace because the shoulders on the Zipp nuts were very narrow and my angled 15mm wrench would slip off frequently.
Old 10-25-14, 04:47 AM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Right now i can ride my rollers confidently on the tops of the bars...is it common to find riding on the drops harder? because i seem to find it harder.
Old 10-25-14, 04:53 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by Owen21
Right now i can ride my rollers confidently on the tops of the bars...is it common to find riding on the drops harder? because i seem to find it harder.
I'd say that's normal. Just double check that your rollers are spaced properly with regards to your wheel base. Google it for instructions. If your wheelbase and rollers aren't within the proper relation to each other, riding can be difficult.
Old 10-25-14, 08:26 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Owen21
Normal. More weight on the front wheel makes it twitchier.
Old 10-26-14, 05:52 AM
Owen21

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
Normal. More weight on the front wheel makes it twitchier.
Thanks, ill learn to ride on the drops next then

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.