Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Random Chatter

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-15, 08:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Yeah, there isn't an easy answer.

Did you guys also read the "guilt and punishment by association" clauses? I've never heard of such a rule by a sporting body.

I think it's very difficult to prove that rider A *knows* that rider B is doping. Rider A could (and should) claim that even though they saw Rider B taking pills or injecting that they did not *know* the chemical contents.

There's assuming and there is knowing. The gap between can be very big. I wonder if the UCI will ever prosecute anyone saying that "You saw him take the pills...you should have assumed it was a banned substance and reported him. Therefore, you are banned too."

I think it's unenforceable.
Old 01-08-15, 10:03 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by Velocirapture
This is a very good thing in addition to being a stronger deterrent. Apparently steroid use affects the structure of the muscles, and not just short term muscle-growth or recovery. As such, short term use has long term (years) benefits.
You keep cheating even once you've stopped taking
Yeah. This.
Old 01-08-15, 10:36 AM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It could also scare people into reporting others. Really that might be the only way some people get caught anyway. Someone trying to save oneself but blowing the whistle early, instead of letting them get caught and worried they will go down with them simply for knowing about it.
Old 01-08-15, 11:19 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by gtrob
It could also scare people into reporting others. Really that might be the only way some people get caught anyway. Someone trying to save oneself but blowing the whistle early, instead of letting them get caught and worried they will go down with them simply for knowing about it.
Yeah, but do we want an environment like that?

I don't know of another realm where such a system really works. I've heard of wives/girlfriends going to prison because they may have known of their significant other's illegal activities.

I don't know what the right answer is.

The problem is that these guys pretty much have nothing to lose. The same for US Football, Baseball, etc...

2 stories:

1) As one ex road pro explain to me: Cycling is sort of a "blue collar" sport. "These guys would be digging ditches" (his words) if they weren't racing their bikes. So they don't have anything to lose and everything to gain. He went on to say that if Rider A is the fastest guy in town and Rider B 2nd fastest. Rider B dopes to become faster, Rider A is sort of forced to dope to regain his rightful place in the pecking order. It's "keeping up with the Jones'".

2) Let's say you are a 35 year old NFL or Premier League player and your strength and speed are starting to wane. You know that the new 25 year olds want your job and are as strong and as fast as you. As soon as you lose a step against them, they'll take your spot on the roster and you'll be out of a job. So, your options are:

A: Let nature take it's course and lose your spot on the team. Result: $0/year salary
B: Dope to keep your spot on the team and make millions with a *small* risk of getting caught and then making $0/year.

So, you see, from that perspective there really isn't a down side to doping. I'm not saying it's right. I'm just saying that's what going on in their heads. I think Floyd Landis mentions something similar during interviews.
Old 01-11-15, 05:30 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm putting this into this thread, as its not strictly track related; but i think its nevertheless very track relevant.
Having read this article - https://www.bicycling.com/sites/defau...-13-Helmet.pdf - mid 2013, its sort of nagged at me since.
As i'm currently in the process of organising a crash replacement helmet through Bell (thanks Bell), i've been looking at replacement options and discovered that a whole bunch of big brands are now bringing out models with the MIPS technology. If you haven't read the article, in summary its technology that protects you against concussion (guess what - you get concussed when your neurons stretch and snap!), rather than just a crushed skull type of trauma.
Unfortunately it doesn't look like what i'm getting has MIPS, but at the speeds attained on the track, i reckon its worth er'body being aware of whats out there.
In the first week of January last year, one of our best local sprinters died after crashing in the local league-racing keirin, from traumatic brain injury. I was there, and i'll never ever forget seeing him lying there as they tried to resuscitate him. A helmet with mips probably would not have helped, but its the reminder that its worth thinking about the bigger picture.

But on a positive note, i'm going to get a Bell Star Pro, and will give feedback
Old 01-15-15, 09:25 PM
carleton
Elitist

So, @theblackbullet and I are now teammates!

Hey, man, I'll help you break that Team Sprint Track Record now

(for those who don't know, I was on the team that set the current track record back in 2010 and still currently hold the record )

Last edited by carleton; 01-15-15 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-16-15, 07:34 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton

(for those who don't know, I was on the team that set the current track record back in 2010 and still currently hold the record )

who's racing which position?
Old 01-16-15, 12:09 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I hear carl is a top

ba-dum

Its only 16 days into the new year and Im already trying to find a way to burn my vacation time. I did this last year, completely used up by April haha.
Old 01-16-15, 09:44 PM
theblackbullet

Bikes: I don't even

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked 193 Times in 77 Posts

haha! should be interesting to see what happens this year! I'm expecting a couple of records to be broken this year!
Old 01-16-15, 10:54 PM
carleton
Elitist

I hear carl is a top

ba-dum.
:-|

Originally Posted by Velocirapture
who's racing which position?
On a 333, I can hold down man 1 or 2.

Originally Posted by theblackbullet
haha! should be interesting to see what happens this year! I'm expecting a couple of records to be broken this year!
Awesome!
Old 01-18-15, 04:14 AM
Minion1

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 19 Posts
Yeah, there isn't an easy answer.

Did you guys also read the "guilt and punishment by association" clauses? I've never heard of such a rule by a sporting body.

I think it's very difficult to prove that rider A *knows* that rider B is doping. Rider A could (and should) claim that even though they saw Rider B taking pills or injecting that they did not *know* the chemical contents.

There's assuming and there is knowing. The gap between can be very big. I wonder if the UCI will ever prosecute anyone saying that "You saw him take the pills...you should have assumed it was a banned substance and reported him. Therefore, you are banned too."

I think it's unenforceable.
Sorry to drag this back but those clauses are going to be CAS fodder - I agree its unenforceable, impossible to prove and wide open to appeal. It probably fails any test of proportionality to be banned for knowing someone was doping and not reporting them.

I do like the stronger deterrents, though.
Old 01-18-15, 12:06 PM
Oldan Slo

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On a 333, I can hold down man 1 or 2.
TMI.

What happens at the velodrome should stay at the velodrome.
Old 01-18-15, 07:05 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm watching the Cali world cup, and man does Kirsten Wild get sketchy near the end of the elimination race. Comes down almost into a rider, then looks like she gets sketchy holding the bike down in a turn just a bit later and almost takes out the wheel behind her. Pretty sure I would've given her an earful if I'd been in that race.
Old 01-19-15, 02:26 PM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

This is @zaktrak's motor-pacing bike. There is some interesting geometry and construction here
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_20150118_212809.jpg (99.5 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-21-15, 09:27 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by TurtleRacer

This is @zaktrak's motor-pacing bike. There is some interesting geometry and construction here
Those derny racer bikes are nuts. The races themselves are nuts. Very exciting to watch.
Old 01-21-15, 09:31 PM
carleton
Elitist

Tonight I rode the track for the first time since July. Felt remarkably good. I rode a modest 47/15 and it felt like I had a 18t on the rear. Felt really soft. I guess that's a good thing That's not usually the case for me in the winter.
Old 01-24-15, 10:38 AM
carleton
Elitist

Tonight I rode the track for the first time since July. Felt remarkably good. I rode a modest 47/15 and it felt like I had a 18t on the rear. Felt really soft. I guess that's a good thing That's not usually the case for me in the winter.
....annnnd I got bronchitis for my efforts

This is why I'm an indoor cat during the winter months.
Old 01-25-15, 11:26 PM
slindell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

There seems to be the one really good day just before coming down with a cold. Not sure if it the effort that brings on the cold or just the bodies reaction to the virus starting to react.
Old 01-25-15, 11:46 PM
gtrob

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thats why god invented indoor tracks

Old 01-26-15, 08:09 AM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by slindell
There seems to be the one really good day just before coming down with a cold. Not sure if it the effort that brings on the cold or just the bodies reaction to the virus starting to react.
I had a great day in the weight room a few weeks back, and a cold developed middle of the next day. I'm guessing the effort weakens the immune system, but that's pure speculation.
Old 01-26-15, 10:45 AM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by slindell
Originally Posted by wens
I had a great day in the weight room a few weeks back, and a cold developed middle of the next day. I'm guessing the effort weakens the immune system, but that's pure speculation.
I've had issues with asthma and bronchitis since I was a kid. Exercising in cold air seems to trigger bronchitis in my lungs at some point almost every year.

Thats why god invented indoor tracks
+1
Old 01-26-15, 07:55 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
You got it backwards with your logic. You have a great day before your sickness because of the antibodies that are flooding your bloodstream. Everything in your body goes into overdrive in an effort to defeat the pathogen. This only works in regards to short, high intensity workouts before you get sick. It's not like you'll be able to predict when these workouts will happen, but you can be sure as **** that there is a good probability of being sick after one of these breakthrough workouts.

T NATION | Sick? Go Train!
Old 01-27-15, 02:11 AM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by taras0000
You got it backwards with your logic. You have a great day before your sickness because of the antibodies that are flooding your bloodstream. Everything in your body goes into overdrive in an effort to defeat the pathogen. This only works in regards to short, high intensity workouts before you get sick. It's not like you'll be able to predict when these workouts will happen, but you can be sure as **** that there is a good probability of being sick after one of these breakthrough workouts.

T NATION | Sick? Go Train!
There's also the fact that gyms are kinda nasty for germs. Overtraining does weaken your immune system - the last two times I went to the gym overtrained, I got a cold the next (or second) day (and I was pretty careful to not touch my face/and wash my hands after).
Old 01-27-15, 06:47 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Gyms are gross. Overtraining is and incubating an organism are completely different beasts, and if you are immunosupressed from overtraining, you won't have the breakthrough workout that I mentioned above. You'll already have been in decline. A cold also takes a few days to incubate before your sickness actually kicks in. Bug gets in your body, antibodies kick in over two or three days, and then your symptoms begin to wreak havoc

Last edited by taras0000; 01-27-15 at 06:57 PM.
Old 01-27-15, 07:10 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
hey you guys are describing last week for me.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.