Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Old Steel and trainers

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old Steel and trainers

Search this Thread

Old 12-12-19, 09:30 AM
daviddavieboy

Bikes: I have a few

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 340 Post(s)
Liked 210 Times in 104 Posts
Old Steel and trainers

Anyone else using their vintage steel on a trainer? I am trying to get ready for April so I put the bike that I am going to use on the trainer to set it up. After using it for few rides and tinkering with the fit I see no reason to take it back off as I can do reasonably well in the online events. The biggest problem I seem to have is keeping the sweat off the frame.
Old 12-12-19, 09:43 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Just my opinion only. Personally I wouldn't use a bike that I value (especially vintage steel) on a trainer. Especially a locked in trainer where you are just pedaling anyway. I would buy/use a cheap bike and use that. Even on my smart rollers, I use my secondary bike with a sweat guard.
Old 12-12-19, 09:55 AM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by jadocs
Just my opinion only. Personally I wouldn't use a bike that I value (especially vintage steel) on a trainer. Especially a locked in trainer where you are just pedaling anyway. I would buy/use a cheap bike and use that. Even on my smart rollers, I use my secondary bike with a sweat guard.
The bike does move fairly freely (rock and roll) but I understand what you are talking about. My reason for initially doing this was to get it set up and as it is now I can go for up to 2 hours with reasonable comfort plus I have a new Brooks saddle I wanted broken in before the event. The bike I had on before is seeing some rust on the bottom of the bb where there was none before and I would not be happy it to happen to this bike. I do have a new-ish gravel bike I can use as it is the rain / mud / trail / snow bike this might be the best option.
Old 12-12-19, 09:56 AM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1491 Post(s)
Liked 1,090 Times in 638 Posts
A couple weekends ago I picked up a $10.00 C-Itoh. Guess where it's going? Yup. On the trainer. Doesn't matter if the wheels, tires, shifters, brakes, frame are complete crap and the beast weighs over 30 pounds. Just need acceptably comfortable contact points, and voici - a trainer that doesn't put anything of value at hazard.
Old 12-12-19, 10:21 AM
Last ride 76 
1/2 as far in 2x the time

Bikes: Yes, Please.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 499 Post(s)
Liked 285 Times in 222 Posts
I use my "rain" bike, an old kestrel 200sci with a powertap wheel on the basic Cycleops trainer.
Old 12-12-19, 10:53 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
The bike does move fairly freely (rock and roll) but I understand what you are talking about. My reason for initially doing this was to get it set up and as it is now I can go for up to 2 hours with reasonable comfort plus I have a new Brooks saddle I wanted broken in before the event. The bike I had on before is seeing some rust on the bottom of the bb where there was none before and I would not be happy it to happen to this bike. I do have a new-ish gravel bike I can use as it is the rain / mud / trail / snow bike this might be the best option.
Sweat can do some nasty things to your bike. Agree with you about using something else.
Likes For jadocs:
Old 12-12-19, 11:14 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I'd spray the whole thing with WD-40 first. And then be religious in wiping off any sweat.
Old 12-12-19, 11:18 AM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
Yup, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, not exactly a high value ride, but one of my favorites, and the most comfortable. So I bought another, rebuilt it, and stuck it on a trainer, works great! As for sweat, notice the pipe insulation on the top tube, also big oscillating fan in front of bike, not in the pic.
Tim

Last edited by tkamd73; 12-12-19 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-12-19, 11:27 AM
Kobe 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 338 Times in 178 Posts
I use my Proteus on a Kurt Kinetic trainer in the basement. A fan helps to keep any sweat to a minimum.
Old 12-12-19, 01:46 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
I sought out and bought a trainer bike this winter an 87 Miyata 112 which is actually in decent shape. I did do a coat of pledge wax on it since it will be on my covered porch and it will probably get some sweat on it. I had the trainer already - got used on CL a few years ago - and the bike set me back $50.

Likes For ryansu:
Old 12-12-19, 01:56 PM
bnewberry

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by daviddavieboy
Anyone else using their vintage steel on a trainer? I am trying to get ready for April so I put the bike that I am going to use on the trainer to set it up. After using it for few rides and tinkering with the fit I see no reason to take it back off as I can do reasonably well in the online events. The biggest problem I seem to have is keeping the sweat off the frame.

Yes. This is a reason for N+1. I have a Trek 660 on my trainer. This is the bike I used for all of my long rides last year. The bike fits, is set up the way I like it, but riding inside still pales in comparison to riding outdoors.
Old 12-12-19, 03:10 PM
since6

Bikes: Stevenson Custom, Stevenson Custom Tandem, Nishiki Professional

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 367 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 128 Posts
I ride my vintagesure on the trainer so that it and my body stay broken in to each other. This way when riding resumes outside less will be sore.
Likes For since6:
Old 12-12-19, 05:25 PM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Trainers: the best reason to have a carbon bike.

I'm doing a 1-hour session Saturday on some gizmo that uses my bike, then on Sunday, we're doing 3 hours at the same place.

Wouldn't think of bringing steel, even with a sweat guard. Or my lugged carbon.

So Titanium it is.

Last edited by RobbieTunes; 12-13-19 at 04:31 AM.
Old 12-12-19, 06:36 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
I have a late 80s tange 1 framek and fork on my fluid trainer.
it's a bike inside outside too- not my primary road bike but also not ignored.

I use foam insulation on the top and downtube. It sits there and protects from sweat. And a towel stays in the bars that I use for myself. A small fan helps too.

I understand the idea that trainers which lock in the frame could subject it to excessive bending.
I'm also not too sure how significant an issue that is.
Old 12-12-19, 08:50 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
I keep my spray-bombed ‘85 Peugeot PSN 10 mounted in the trainer full time. I use a sweat guard on the bike, a sweat band on the head, plus a fan blowing at me head on so no real corrosion concerns. Narrow-range 7 speed DA 7400 shifting and gearing a good match for my setup.

Old 12-12-19, 11:43 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use my Ironman on the Cycleops trainer. No problems. I don't sweat enough to do any damage. I keep a towel handy but rarely drip sweat.

I also use a fairly potent fan during trainer sessions, and either crank up the a/c or turn it off for winter rides. If the temp is around 70F I'm usually okay.

Unfortunately that's a problem outdoors in summer. I finally realized the only way I could force myself to perspire enough was to use electrolytes in every water bottle and take extra magnesium (usually mag lactate) and potassium. Otherwise I'll get muscle cramps, sometimes during a ride, sometimes in the middle of the night or just sitting on the sofa. When my sweat feels soapy and leaves a white frosting on my jersey, shorts and helmet straps, I know I'm using enough and sweating enough. Means I need to clean my helmet after every ride, even in winter, but I seldom have muscle cramps now during or after rides.

Reminds me, I really need to pick up another Ironman or similar steelie to rig up with clip on aero bars to get my neck accustomed to the position. I'd like to try the state time trial meet next year. I like my one Ironman set up just as it is now for outdoor rides and don't want to change anything.
Old 12-13-19, 03:26 AM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
When I first started using a trainer I sweated buckets and was worried about damaging whatever bike I had on it. A few years later and with some fitness gained I find that I don't drip on the bike. I still have a homemade sweat guard on the bike but I don't think its really that necessary. I use the TrainerRoad app on my phone and watch something on TV in the background. The Ironman I rode on Ragbrai last summer is doing trainer duty this winter but will be back on the road next spring. I don't stand when on the trainer as I feel it put undue stress on the dropouts and frame.
Old 12-13-19, 04:33 AM
RobbieTunes
Banned.

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 378 Post(s)
Liked 1,409 Times in 909 Posts
Ironman Nation has spoken. We're in.
Some don't attempt, but you can see, it takes a lickin' and still keeps tickin'.
Old 12-13-19, 05:48 AM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
Use to use my old Motobecane all the time on the trainer. Just wipe it off when your done and put a good coat of wax on it and you should be good. Just watch out what old what tires you use. A hard or long workout can and will heat up the tires fast. Yes, I've blown tires on the trainer during some sprints.
Old 12-13-19, 05:57 PM
TXsailor

Bikes: Origin-8 Lactic Acid Giant Escape 2 Centurian Lemans 12 Kuwahara Tandem 1989 Ironman Expert 1988 Ironman Master

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 59 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
Use to use my old Motobecane all the time on the trainer. Just wipe it off when your done and put a good coat of wax on it and you should be good. Just watch out what old what tires you use. A hard or long workout can and will heat up the tires fast. Yes, I've blown tires on the trainer during some sprints.
I have been using a Continental 700 x 23 trainer tire last winter and again this one and it hasn't shown any wear yet. Its on a cheap new bike takeoff wheel. I think that's the way to go. My bike has been converted to 10 speed so wheels are easy to find.
Old 12-13-19, 09:34 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I use cheap Continental Ultra Sport II tires on the trainer and as everyday riding tires. Same rear tire for both. No problems after more than a year doing that. Even with HIIT sessions and several sprints of 10-60 seconds. The metal roller on the trainer wears the tire to a flattened shape, but one outdoor ride softens the shoulder so the tire looks normal again.
Old 12-14-19, 05:11 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 337 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 145 Posts
Good use for aluminum frames. Just sayin’...
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1988 Bottecchia Team Record ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Colnago Super ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports

Old 12-14-19, 07:26 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
A fan, Halo II headband, look it over every few rides and it has never been a worry. For years I used a RRB custom, now a Ironman frame. Maybe my level of training is at the lower end.
Old 12-15-19, 12:15 PM
daviddavieboy

Originally Posted by TXsailor
When I first started using a trainer I sweated buckets and was worried about damaging whatever bike I had on it. A few years later and with some fitness gained I find that I don't drip on the bike. I still have a homemade sweat guard on the bike but I don't think its really that necessary. . . I don't stand when on the trainer as I feel it put undue stress on the dropouts and frame.

I have always been a heavy sweater but I also keep a close eye on things. I use a sweat guard, a towel, and use gloves so I can mop my head. 😂 I think when I am certain I have the saddle broken in and have the bike set up I will switch it out. I use a rock and roll and noticed when in a sprint not only is there the side to side movement but there is almost 3-4 “ of vertical movement. At times I have had the tire leave marks on the carpet greatly annoying my wife.
Old 12-15-19, 01:04 PM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,695 Times in 2,517 Posts
I spray down my trainer bike with camellia oil occasionally. Japanese woodworkers use it for rust proofing. There are better treatments, but I have this one handy. I bought the frame for $30, but it's a nice old Centurion semi-pro, so I would hate to see it get rusty. So far it has been good

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.