Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

MEC - Mountain Equipment Co-op Sold Off

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-20, 07:28 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 212 Posts

https://theconversation.com/the-valu...er-data-146947

" Imagine a world where, as a retailer, you have complete and detailed information on every single transaction made by each of your five million customers — for decades. This is what private investment firm Kingswood Capital Management acquired when it bought Canadian retailer Mountain Equipment Co-op (MEC). Not a brand, not a chain of 22 struggling stores, certainly not customer loyalty and definitely not a successful private branding sporting goods franchise. "

I was / am a MEC member. My customer info isn't worth much as I probably spent perhaps a total of $300 there. I think I used a BS name with the account and always paid cash, so there is no info to harvest.

It appears that some private equity firm (read: vulture capital) from California bought it. MEC was convenient and decently priced on many things. Some of the stuff was good quality. Much of the woke millenial staff floated around the store on virtue clouds of self satisifaction and always seemed to convey they were more caring about the good of the Planet than you. Other than that it was a pleasant atmosphere to shop in.
Old 12-11-20, 09:44 PM
blakcloud

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 608 Post(s)
Liked 352 Times in 225 Posts
The data that MEC collected on my purchasing habits for over thirty years are no different than what VISA has collected on me for the same time period so I really don't care.

I was a big fan of MEC for many years but in the last two years you could see it was dying a slow death. After the move to the new store here in Toronto, stock was low or non-existent and brands they use to sell disappeared. Never a fan of the coop angle so that disappearing is a good thing. Though I have to say I am not optimistic that the new MEC will be any better but maybe because I am pessimistic. I have been a loyal customer for the last thirty years but don't know what the future will bring. Hopefully the changes were be meaningful as I would hate for this type of retail store disappear at least here in Toronto.
Old 12-12-20, 09:54 AM
Gazoo4444

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Brands where definitely lacking but still a decent place when I need to pickup a few things. It's weird that Cannondales are now sold there.
Old 12-12-20, 10:46 PM
Beach Bob

Bikes: Giant Defy Pro 0, Cervelo Aspero

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 21 Posts
Once they transitioned from house brands of good basic camping and hiking gear to a retailer of high end outdoor/virtue brands, they no longer had anything to offer that couldn't be had elsewhere. I'm sure the vulture capitalists will pump and dump for a year or two and then (as vulture capitalism dictates) leave a bunch of creditors fighting over grossly over leveraged debt. Sad ending to what was once a decent company....
Old 12-12-20, 11:23 PM
speyfitter

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Are they going to take the C off of their name since they aren’t a CO-OP anymore and give me my $5 share back factoring inflation that I paid for 20 years ago?
Likes For speyfitter:
Old 12-13-20, 08:52 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by speyfitter
Are they going to take the C off of their name since they aren’t a CO-OP anymore and give me my $5 share back factoring inflation that I paid for 20 years ago?
You really expect a refund on your 20year membership fee of $5?

if you got the time, i have a few axes in the woodshed that need grinding.
Old 12-13-20, 09:57 AM
speyfitter

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
You really expect a refund on your 20year membership fee of $5?

if you got the time, i have a few axes in the woodshed that need grinding.
It’s the principal. They are no longer a co-op

Also many people myself included think the co-op was run into the ground so it could be sold off instead of managing it more conservatively.
Old 12-13-20, 10:02 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,831 Times in 2,229 Posts
Originally Posted by speyfitter
It’s the principal. They are no longer a co-op

Also many people myself included think the co-op was run into the ground so it could be sold off instead of managing it more conservatively.
Standing upon your principals, usually gets you kicked out of school.
Old 12-13-20, 11:58 AM
TomM

Bikes: Surly SteamRoller

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 30 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
Standing upon your principals, usually gets you kicked out of school.
Or 20 years ago spanked.
Old 01-28-21, 08:24 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

"Retailiation"

It's all over the internet by now that there has been a stock price retaliation by fans of the computer game store Gamestop. Hedge fund scum wanted to grind it into the ground (like they will MEC) but Gamestop fans decided they would have none of it and put together a sort of militia fund to spite those who were hoping to profit off of shortselling the retail chain's stock. If MEC were structured differently, and the will were there by members, they could possibly do the same for their beloved brand.

https://www.theepochtimes.com/organi...=mb-2021-01-28
Old 01-28-21, 08:40 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
MEC's House brands were decent quality sold at reasonable prices. I still have a few of their backpacks that I'm still using and have held up over the years of use.
When they started bringing in "High-end" brand names to draw the Elite $$ it became just like any other adventure store. Haven't been there much over the years.
Old 01-28-21, 09:50 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10954 Post(s)
Liked 7,483 Times in 4,185 Posts
Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
It's all over the internet by now that there has been a stock price retaliation by fans of the computer game store Gamestop. Hedge fund scum wanted to grind it into the ground (like they will MEC) but Gamestop fans decided they would have none of it and put together a sort of militia fund to spite those who were hoping to profit off of shortselling the retail chain's stock. If MEC were structured differently, and the will were there by members, they could possibly do the same for their beloved brand.

You do not have a good understanding of what would have saved MEC or what is happening with Gamestop. Perhaps its because you want to believe a different reality or perhaps its because that trash site you linked gave you bad info(I dont know as I dont read such things). Either way, your understanding of the situation is less than impressive.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 01-28-21, 10:43 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 540 Posts
Originally Posted by blakcloud
The data that MEC collected on my purchasing habits for over thirty years are no different than what VISA has collected on me for the same time period so I really don't care.
I think that's a point that many people who use their CCs seem to overlook.
Old 01-28-21, 11:16 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
At least in my area when they built their new stores they got really snobby really quick. But I quit shopping there when they wouldn't give me a bag for my clothes I bought there. I know first world problems right? But I generally buy all my clothes at once in bulk hopefully to last the year. I bought a stack of 15 white t shirts. But trying to put them in my trunk loose and not have them accidentally get ruined annoyed the heck out of me. When I complained they gave me the whole "We are saving the planet and I'm a filthy polluter/jerk for asking for a bag" speech. When I pointed out that they make recyclable / reusable bags. And the wrench I bought had a plastic wrap which was going to end up in a landfill along with 99% of the things they sell in the store. They had a tiny little melt down and told me not to shop there.

So I'm not surprised that they are going bankrupt.
Old 01-28-21, 11:35 AM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
Originally Posted by cbrstar
When I complained they gave me the whole "We are saving the planet and I'm a filthy polluter/jerk for asking for a bag" speech.
I'd be tempted to cancel the purchase right there on the spot. But that'd probably backfire anyway if they're paid $15 or $20 an hour regardless if they made any sales or not. They won't care.
Likes For Reflector Guy:
Old 01-28-21, 12:20 PM
bOsscO
bOsscO

Bikes: 2024 Spec Crux, 2015 Norco Search S1, 93 Mongoose IBOC COMP

Quoted: 296 Post(s)
Liked 355 Times in 212 Posts
I admit I'll miss them. Most of the camping gear I own and currently use (Seratus backpack, MSR tent, ThermaRest that's now 20+ years old and full of patches but still holds air, etc.) is from MEC. They often had crazy sales on their boots and shoes, especially if you had big feet like me. I also used to take full advantage of their annual gear-swap when they'd sell off all their slightly damaged/imperfect gear at huge discounts.
Ahhhh well I'll find some other Canadian store for future purchases.
Old 01-28-21, 01:47 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts

Only issue was MEC was losing millions a year and Bankruptcy and liquidation were imminent.
Old 01-28-21, 02:58 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Only issue was MEC was losing millions a year and Bankruptcy and liquidation were imminent.
Hello, yes it is indeed a different set of circumstances. Gamestop was tanking too apparently and eventually likely to go the way of Blockbuster. I'd never even heard of Gamestop until two days ago. Of course, MEC is a Co-op and not a publicly traded company. Nonetheless, the parasites who took MEC over are of the same ilk as the ones being handed their as$es in the Gamestop caper.

As others in this thread have stated, MEC employees had a palpable self satisfactory air to them and parried their righteous green finger pointing as deftly as a seasoned jedi does a lightsabre. Just how does a manager list such un-backed by talent arrogance as a requirement on a job description?

The Epoch Times is generally a good source of news which provides a check and counterbalance to standard pimped narratives.

Last edited by prairiepedaler; 01-28-21 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-28-21, 03:21 PM
Reflector Guy

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito XE, Via Nirone 7, GT Aggressor Pro

Quoted: 599 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 588 Posts
As others in this thread have stated, MEC employees had a palpable self satisfactory air to them and parried their righteous green finger pointing as deftly as a seasoned jedi does a lightsabre. Just how does a manager list such un-backed by talent arrogance as a requirement on a job description?
I checked out their website.... A few things I noticed: They claim to be boycotting Facebook, yet I see at least a dozen posts on their Facebook page just this week alone. Maybe the boycott hasn't started yet? They also have Inclusion as one of their company policies, such as representing all kinds of different groups in their imagery (such as on their website). But to me it looks like they're not including anyone over the age of about 25....

I would shop there if it would make me 25 again.
Old 01-28-21, 04:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Hello, yes it is indeed a different set of circumstances. Gamestop was tanking too apparently and eventually likely to go the way of Blockbuster. I'd never even heard of Gamestop until two days ago. Of course, MEC is a Co-op and not a publicly traded company. Nonetheless, the parasites who took MEC over are of the same ilk as the ones being handed their as$es in the Gamestop caper.

The Epoch Times is generally a good source of news which provides a check and counterbalance to standard pimped narratives.
You seem to harbor some deep frustrations concerning finances. Also, Melvin Capital and Kingswood seem to be different in what they do, but you said they are one and the same. Is that for sure correct, or just you ignorantly ranting? I thought Kingswood was going to own and run MEC...is that incorrect?

Oh, and your news outlet is comically slanted. Like disturbingly so. It is a Qanon pushing, covid denying, anti-vaxx, deep state conspiracy supporting information outlet. I am frustrated by how challenging it is to secure news that is accurate and complete. What you have chosen as a solution is in fact part of the problem.
Old 01-28-21, 05:36 PM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

mstateglfr

Why be frustrated by what some stranger on the internet has to say.
Old 01-28-21, 09:23 PM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,314 Times in 707 Posts
I was / am a MEC member. My customer info isn't worth much as I probably spent perhaps a total of $300 there. I think I used a BS name with the account and always paid cash, so there is no info to harvest.

It appears that some private equity firm (read: vulture capital) from California bought it. MEC was convenient and decently priced on many things. Some of the stuff was good quality. Much of the woke millenial staff floated around the store on virtue clouds of self satisifaction and always seemed to convey they were more caring about the good of the Planet than you. Other than that it was a pleasant atmosphere to shop in.
I find your post to be judgmental, condescending and arrogant. All the things you complain about. Maybe the problem was you?

I've been a MEC member since the mid 80's (even used my real name - no BS). When you approach something from the outset under false pretenses...

To me - Good stores, good people. Friendly staff from all age groups. It was often a place where the staff actually did the activities they sold product for, and didn't use pressure sales techniques. Very similar to the US's REI. In the 80's one of the best climbers in the Canadian Rockies worked the climbing department. Recently I spoke with staff in the watersport department that is a kite surfing instructor from Poland. The bike mechanic at my local store is an older English chap who is the politest man your could ever meet.

I can see how someone with a chip on their shoulder or an inferiority complex could feel threatened by people who know their stuff but I always feel like I am going home when I shop there. It's a place that gets the type of person I am and validates life in the outdoors as a basic lifestyle choice..

They did go through a revamp a while ago wherein they trended towards more upscale products that I didn't like so much. For many years they sold tried and tested gear and had a great customer service/return policy. Like most Canadian companies I suspect they just couldn't compete in the new global online market.

Also, what personal information could they have about my 35 year experience with them? That I like to occasionally buy outdoor gear? Wow.. what a secret.

Last edited by Happy Feet; 01-28-21 at 09:28 PM.
Likes For Happy Feet:
Old 01-29-21, 12:17 AM
MarcusT

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 766 Post(s)
Liked 616 Times in 344 Posts
I joined the MEC in 1980, when it was run by a bunch of guys who were into the outdoors. I purchased my backpacks, tents, sleeping bags, boots, climbing gear. You get the point.
Up until about 1988, then an absence due to my career.
Returned in 2000, and was disappointed to see that they were more into fashion and hip trends. Many employees were not very knowledgeable about the products. Prices were too expensive. Never went back.
I am sorry they could not succeed, but the writing was on the wall
Old 01-29-21, 12:35 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

mstateglfr

Why be frustrated by what some stranger on the internet has to say.
prairiepedaler

Why live a life of lies believing a debunked conspiracy news outlet?

I am frustrated by those who incorrectly summarize economic events out of ignorance and misinformation. I am frustrated by those who push known false conspiracies about vaccinations, elections, deep state powers, and more because they erode trust and and place people's lives at risk.

You brought this crap into the thread and claimed it as legitimate so I will provide commentary that counters it. This junk has spread thru social media and forums because it isnt stopped or countered often enough.
Old 01-29-21, 08:24 AM
BNSF

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 47 Times in 23 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
I find your post to be judgmental, condescending and arrogant. All the things you complain about. Maybe the problem was you?

I can see how someone with a chip on their shoulder or an inferiority complex could feel threatened by people who know their stuff but I always feel like I am going home when I shop there. It's a place that gets the type of person I am and validates life in the outdoors as a basic lifestyle choice..
You and the OP are shopping at two different stores, a thousand miles apart. How much climbing and watersports experience does the average millennial employee have, living in Winnipeg? Maybe working in those departments at MEC is just a dreary boring job to them. It's a retail job, not a career for most.... It doesn't pay well enough to attract pros willing to relocate there from BC or some other place where they can practice their sport more readily.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.