Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 06-04-21, 07:56 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 2,911 Times in 1,780 Posts
50/50 sounds like pretty good odds if you can make your move and no one else goes with you. Hopefully, someone goes with you the first time and it doesn't work so you're able to go solo the 2nd time and maybe the turn is clear.
Old 06-07-21, 10:52 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
God bless, the cross bike is going 11spd. Just bought the shifters on Ebay. I had leftover parts from the old Felt DA cobble together TT bike. A long cage clutch 11sp RD, an 11spd FD, a 50/34 crank I don't use........sweeeeet.

The 1x works OK, but I don't like the gear range. A 34/30 would be nicer than 40/32 as your easiest. And also have the 50t for some of the downhill tarmac to and from my gravel riding.

That'll be nice.
Likes For burnthesheep:
Old 06-07-21, 08:04 PM
himespau 

Preparing build up a bike from stuff I have in the parts bin (and a new-to-me frame I picked up off eBay). Since the chain and cassette will be new (and I've cleaned the crankset and RD) now seems as good of a time as any to experiment with waxing the chains after hearing y'all talk about it. What wax are you using? Straight parafin? MSW?
Old 06-08-21, 07:41 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
Preparing build up a bike from stuff I have in the parts bin (and a new-to-me frame I picked up off eBay). Since the chain and cassette will be new (and I've cleaned the crankset and RD) now seems as good of a time as any to experiment with waxing the chains after hearing y'all talk about it. What wax are you using? Straight parafin? MSW?
MSPEEDWAX | Molten Speed Wax - Waxing Your Chain

I use that though its been said just regular parrafin is good as well.
Likes For furiousferret:
Old 06-08-21, 08:50 AM
himespau 

Originally Posted by furiousferret
MSPEEDWAX | Molten Speed Wax - Waxing Your Chain

I use that though its been said just regular parrafin is good as well.
Thanks. I like that it looks like someone had some fun while writing their instructions.
Old 06-08-21, 09:53 AM
wktmeow

Bikes: CAAD 10

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 277 Post(s)
Liked 229 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
I use this stuff:

https://www.amazon.com/Gulfwax-Paraf...a-847624025706

I've tried a some others but sometimes it'll show up and be scented even though the description makes no mention of scent or any additives.
Old 06-08-21, 11:00 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Me, every single morning: man, I'm really tired, I should go to bed early tonight and get some rest
Me, every single evening: screw that, I finally have some time to myself, I'm gonna play video games and read books for hours.
Likes For Flatballer:
Old 06-08-21, 01:01 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Had a teammate go down (is fine luckily) in the JC crit. He was running his Cycliq or Gopro. Two teammates from a different team ahead of him went for an open slot to the left of a third rider also ahead of him. Third rider feels them coming up his left and literally starts leaning with his left arm reaching out to try to block the two dudes. Straight up like how the dude got the temp ban from the UCI in that sprint. In the process of doing so he misses on the lean or elbow jab and instead falls on his own right in the path of our dude.

Like, WTF is wrong with people. Seriously. Rumor is HE is trying to petition against the other two dudes that made the pass. LOL.

And I wonder why I'm moving towards being a TT, gravel, cyclocross team member. Maybe a timed hill climb fondo deal.

This crap I see on film sometimes is outright ridiculous sometimes.

Part of it with the low level folks, I still wonder if it would happen if courses were done in a way to keep the groups smaller. If you've a pan flat 4-corner deal..........the 4/5's are going to have a pileup at some point if they stay as a 40 to 50 strong accordion for 30min. I say "wonder". I've no idea if that would help or not. Just imagining a pack of 8 up front and then some drop groups.
Old 06-10-21, 11:24 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by Flatballer
Me, every single morning: man, I'm really tired, I should go to bed early tonight and get some rest
Me, every single evening: screw that, I finally have some time to myself, I'm gonna play video games and read books for hours.
Me...every day. Finally at my age I have just accepted it. Our world isn't built for those who are more productive at night than in the morning. Unfortunately it isn't changing. I always got crap about it in my jobs. "Rob you got here at 10." "Yeah and I stayed to 8:30pm". No one cares. It's all about appearances. That's why I was kind of hopeful for the change of things when everyone started working from home. People can be managed on productive output instead of what time they decided to be productive.

Seems the micro-managers won out though and everyone is headed back into the offices.

My wife will go to bed at 6 or 7pm and is up at 3-4am every day ready to get things done. I force myself to go to bed at 11 and then to put my phone down by 12-1am. That used to mean I would sleep until noon if you let me but as I age I am now waking up at 6:30-7am on my own.

Getting old is interesting.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-10-21, 11:39 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
Originally Posted by Psimet2001
Me...every day. Finally at my age I have just accepted it. Our world isn't built for those who are more productive at night than in the morning. Unfortunately it isn't changing. I always got crap about it in my jobs. "Rob you got here at 10." "Yeah and I stayed to 8:30pm". No one cares. It's all about appearances. That's why I was kind of hopeful for the change of things when everyone started working from home. People can be managed on productive output instead of what time they decided to be productive.
I've learned that time at work doesn't count unless everyone else is there to see you do it.
Old 06-10-21, 12:04 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by topflightpro
I've learned that time at work doesn't count unless everyone else is there to see you do it.
The guy that hired me for my first "real job" was a bit of a legend in the corporation. He told me, "Show up before your boss and go home after your boss leaves. If you just do that then what you actually do at work won't matter."

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-11-21, 07:07 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
I had a boss that expected us to be in before him and leave after him. Amazingly, Fridays were the only days he worked late.

He was not a good manager.
Likes For topflightpro:
Old 06-11-21, 09:05 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
The guy that hired me for my first "real job" was a bit of a legend in the corporation. He told me, "Show up before your boss and go home after your boss leaves. If you just do that then what you actually do at work won't matter."
I used to have a boss that would leave after the last person left (like 15 minutes after work?) and then send email on Outlook Webmail at 9 or 10 pm from home claiming she was still at work. I knew this because I would work late every night, but I never told anyone. She'd never check my cubicle, just peek around and leave.

If I had to do it all over again I'd sell myself better. I used to work weekends, late, etc. and would never really advertise it so people never really knew how hard I worked. They new I was good at it, but they didn't know how much work I put in. At my current job I'm 'topped out' and the incentive to work 30 hours off the clock is gone, plus I'm not really allowed to just go rogue and start changing code like I did there.
Old 06-11-21, 10:44 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by furiousferret
I used to have a boss that would leave after the last person left (like 15 minutes after work?) and then send email on Outlook Webmail at 9 or 10 pm from home claiming she was still at work. I knew this because I would work late every night, but I never told anyone. She'd never check my cubicle, just peek around and leave.

If I had to do it all over again I'd sell myself better. I used to work weekends, late, etc. and would never really advertise it so people never really knew how hard I worked. They new I was good at it, but they didn't know how much work I put in. At my current job I'm 'topped out' and the incentive to work 30 hours off the clock is gone, plus I'm not really allowed to just go rogue and start changing code like I did there.
I wouldn't have been able to hold back most likely. I would have responded with a "no way! you're still here? you want some of this pizza I had delivered? I'll swing it by your desk." Then followed it up a few minutes later with, "Where you b? I didn't see you at your desk and the lights are off. I left a slice there on your desk for you when you get in tomorrow morning."

Old 06-11-21, 12:32 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by topflightpro
I had a boss that expected us to be in before him and leave after him. Amazingly, Fridays were the only days he worked late.

He was not a good manager.
I had 11 different service managers in the 21 years I spent at my last dealership. They ranged from apathetic do-nothings to micro managing morons to I'll be your buddy to arrogant pricks who think they are awesome. Most of them just left me alone but one of the micro managers wanted me to start coming in on Saturdays. No way, I told him. I'm not giving up my Saturday club rides for this job.

He tried to pit the other tune-up guy against me but that guy hated him so much he eventually quit, as did half of the crew and all of the service advisors. He then hired another tune-up guy to try and force me to bend to his will, but the one he hired was inept. I decided to stay on just to see how far he would take it. One day he told me if I didn't start working Saturdays he was going to fire me. "F it, fire me" I told him. He didn't. I put up with his crap for 2 years before the new general manager fired his ass. Finally.

I worked at another dealer where we had 6 managers in 3 years. It was crazy, like the wild west. Thieving and warranty fraud, you name it.
I worked at another dealer for 3 weeks. They had a huge turnover of technicians, like over 200 in a few years. There was a clique of techs who got all the good work and treatment and new guys were like an outsider. I didn't get enough work and the stream of guys who had gone through there had stolen all the books, all the special tools, and some of the shop equipment.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-11-21, 12:33 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
I always was the last into work and usually the last to leave.

I was on salary but could bill overtime. One month I was super busy and the manger knew I was putting in long hours. At the end of the month when we were supposed to submit our overtime claims he came to me looking for a "missing" OT claim.

I simply told him: "I come in late everyday and you never give me crap for that so I'm not going to claim OT if I stay late occasionally. Fair deal?"

"Sounds good" and he walked away.

Work is overrated I don't miss it.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 06-11-21, 02:07 PM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Along those lines whenever anyone above me would mention anything about my time I would find a way to casually mention that in some places when schedules with specific timing are mandated you can start making a case for overtime and hourly pay instead of staying salaried - salaried non-exempt.

That would usually be enough.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-11-21, 04:15 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,842 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by Enthalpic
I always was the last into work and usually the last to leave.

I was on salary but could bill overtime. One month I was super busy and the manger knew I was putting in long hours. At the end of the month when we were supposed to submit our overtime claims he came to me looking for a "missing" OT claim.

Work is overrated I don't miss it.
I don't miss it but I like to go there and visit some of the guys.

We get paid commission only and we didn't even clock in for 10 years. When the law changed in the 2000s they had to give us minimum wage and we had to start using the clock. They never made a fuss about me starting a little late but it was expected we would work through lunch if a customer was waiting and we would stay after quitting time to finish a car if we were close and the person was waiting.

The other thing we had to deal with is the fact that service advisors are professional liars and will tell us the customer is waiting even if they have gone home. They get a percentage, too, and lie to get their customers ahead of the other advisors' customers.

Last edited by big john; 06-11-21 at 04:20 PM.
Likes For big john:
Old 06-16-21, 08:27 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

I cruise ST a good bit. I still don't get why the tri folk insist on doing group rides on tri bikes. A used road bike is not that expensive, and if it isn't your go to doesn't need to be nice. Just get one.

I ride my TT bike a lot these days. If it isn't in town with all annoying stops, and am riding alone........I use it. But these folks doing draft packs of tri bikes is a disaster waiting to happen. Especially given owners of bikes with Di2 on both the extensions and brakes is probably less than 1 in 4.
Old 06-16-21, 09:08 AM
himespau 

I'm sure everyone's self-perceived competence levels are different, but I sure wouldn't want to be a in group with a bunch of folks on aerobars that don't have shifters/brakes on them.
Old 06-16-21, 09:38 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
My wife and I ride pursuit (fixed gear no brakes) and time trial bikes in pace lines all the time. Generally, I take my endurance bars with me to the track for structured workouts in case the person running the session wants endurance bars for a particular effort or I am sprinting. Bumping each other when in the aerobars is a bad idea so no groupo compacto.

Fiesta Island has some fast group rides and there are riders on TT bikes mixed with the road bikes.

I have done Miss and Out drills in a pace line led by the motor in aerobars. It is not as good as drop bars because in the drill, when I get behind the motor, on my finishing lap, I have to beat the motor to the finish line or I am out. It is much easier to generate a slug of power with drop bars versus aero bars.

Here is a team pursuit camp motor warmup at Carson, all women, all in aerobars, fixed gear no brakes. My wife is behind the motor and can also dispel the myth that one cannot ride in the turbulence of a motor and long pace line with a double disc. The problem for some riders using a front disc is that if one is not perfectly relaxed and balanced on the bike, the front disc in turbulence feels unstable.

Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-16-21, 09:56 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

The volleyball in the field would unnerve me at first for sure. I am sure I would get used to it.

Also when you said miss and out I cringed. "How the hell are you supposed to dig to pip the target at the line when you have aero bars on?! That's the whole point of a miss and out"

Old 06-16-21, 11:40 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 2,437 Times in 1,425 Posts
The volleyball in the field would unnerve me at first for sure. I am sure I would get used to it.

Also when you said miss and out I cringed. "How the hell are you supposed to dig to pip the target at the line when you have aero bars on?! That's the whole point of a miss and out"
In a motor miss and out drill, the motor is judge, jury and hangman, so you have to beat the motor by a margin to make sure he sees the beat. There is no camera replay.

Every couple of laps the motor increases speed such that at the start it is easy to beat the motor. As the pace increases, when I swing into the wind to come around the motor, it takes a couple of big pedal strokes to accelerate enough to beat him. Aerobars become useless.

And if you think the volleyball is distracting, we used to have sessions and races when the LA Lakers basketball team rented the indoor space for cheerleader tryouts. I must admit I had some of my better times.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 06-16-21, 11:46 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Originally Posted by Hermes
And if you think the volleyball is distracting, we used to have sessions and races when the LA Lakers basketball team rented the indoor space for cheerleader tryouts. I must admit I had some of my better times.
I'd do horribly. I can't race while sucking in my gut.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 06-16-21, 11:47 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

In other news our velodrome is opening back up for mass stat races again. This is huge for us. It has been open for a few weeks for timed events only with strict protocols. Protocols will still exist but racing will be fairly good and open for vaccinated racers. This has made my day.

Likes For Psimet2001:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.