Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

The Water Cooler, Scuttlebutt, Chit Chat Thread

Old 07-02-21, 10:15 AM
TMonk
Not actually Tmonk

Bikes: road, track, mtb

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2505 Post(s)
Liked 2,959 Times in 1,571 Posts
So, like many things, turns out I had to ride the bike a bit to see if the tight tolerances on my brake job were working. Old TT brakes with poor adjustability and modern wide rims are not the best of friends.

I discovered that the rear was rubbing quite a bit after my 30' z4 interval on Fiesta Island. My speed wasn't awful but it did sort of feel like I should have been a bit quicker given the lack of wind. Looks like it's gonna go back in the stand at some point over the weekend.
Old 07-02-21, 05:01 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
The big boss replied all to an office-wide email this morning. I think everyone just pretended they didn't see it.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-02-21, 06:02 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Also, my son had an interview at 3 for a job at one of the local bike shops. It's 5 and he still seems to be there, which I take as a good sign.
Likes For caloso:
Old 07-02-21, 06:21 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
My kid is presently moving out and heading back to NYC to live with friends.
Likes For gsteinb:
Old 07-04-21, 06:46 AM
wattsupdoc

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just woke up; did r/velo become r/bicycling over the last year?
Old 07-04-21, 08:51 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 383 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 101 Posts
story. so about 2 years ago now, when he was 7, Junior installed a game by accident on my phone, Lords Mobile. I quickly googled it, didn't seem to have malware type stuff, it was a (from what I saw) some 5v5 hero battle thing, and so I was okay with it. He was playing a 5v5 type Star Wars game when it came up.

Junior would ask me every now and then, "LM?" meaning "Lords Mobile". I'd let him play for a bit.

About 2/3 year ago he's doing LM and I look and see a castle, farms, barracks, mine, quarry, workshop, academy... I'm like, whoa, what the heck is this?
"What's this game?!"
"LM"
"I thought it was a hero battle game"
"Well, to get hero stuff you have to do all this other stuff."
"You built all this?"
"Yes."
"Why is your food blinking red""
"I don't know, it always does that."

After some quick poking around I learned he had negative food production - he was spending more than he was making. I figured that couldn't be good.

"I think you need more farms"

I did some quick fixes, got stuff under control, and he battled.

I asked him about the user name, "asxc"
"Oh, that's a text box, you just type in whatever you want, like this" and he swiped his fingers across the keyboard.
"What about the nickname?" (it's udhhsq7)
"same thing."
"How did you get into the guild?"
"Oh, there's a screen where you just check every box and a guild picks you."
"You checked every box?"
"Yes, there were a lot of them."

Ends up that if your'e not active for 4 or 5 weeks you get kicked. he never got kicked.

I asked about the chat box.
"You just type whatever you want".

Apparently it auto filled from prior text inputs, like from my texts to the Missus. I scrolled through some of the history.
"Samurai bike master" or something like it. I realized that it must have been when I got a butt dial and an old racing friend of mine, from 20 years ago, was describing me in a very drunk, slurred voice. "... and this guy, he's a samurai on a bike" or something like that. I thought it was hilarious and texted it to the Missus. So when Junior started doing his "text swipe" and hit "sa" it autofilled some stuff. Somehow the others in the guild didn't think "what the heck is this player doing?"

So I said to the guild that my 7, now 8, and turning 9 year old, installed the game, has been playing for a year plus, and sorry for anything he might have done wrong. Apparently he never did anything wrong.

Guild leader changed once when the then-leader couldn't play much. He deferred to someone who was pretty active, tried to get others involved, etc. That was maybe 6 months ago.

New guild leader is changing jobs, can't play much. And to my complete surprise, he asked me (and Junior ) to be the guild leader. I asked Junior if he wanted to be leader, if he thought it was fair. He said he wanted to be leader so I told the leader yes.

So now we're the leader of a tiny, tiny guild. That change happened two days ago.

Junior was playing LM very intently yesterday
"What are you doing?"
"Inviting players who aren't in a guild into our guild"
"Oh."
He looked at me. "That's what a guild leader does."

So if you play LM and want to look us up, message me. We're a mostly F2P (free to play - we don't pay for stuff), casual (like I'm a casual racer maybe), play-when-we-can kind of guild. I love working together to get stuff done, it's like teamwork in a bike race. We have a few actives, a few more sort of actives, and a rotating group of new players that decide they don't like the game or something.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Likes For carpediemracing:
Old 07-04-21, 11:21 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
story. so about 2 years ago now, when he was 7, Junior installed a game by accident on my phone, Lords Mobile. I quickly googled it, didn't seem to have malware type stuff, it was a (from what I saw) some 5v5 hero battle thing, and so I was okay with it. He was playing a 5v5 type Star Wars game when it came up.

Junior would ask me every now and then, "LM?" meaning "Lords Mobile". I'd let him play for a bit.

About 2/3 year ago he's doing LM and I look and see a castle, farms, barracks, mine, quarry, workshop, academy... I'm like, whoa, what the heck is this?
"What's this game?!"
"LM"
"I thought it was a hero battle game"
"Well, to get hero stuff you have to do all this other stuff."
"You built all this?"
"Yes."
"Why is your food blinking red""
"I don't know, it always does that."

After some quick poking around I learned he had negative food production - he was spending more than he was making. I figured that couldn't be good.

"I think you need more farms"

I did some quick fixes, got stuff under control, and he battled.

I asked him about the user name, "asxc"
"Oh, that's a text box, you just type in whatever you want, like this" and he swiped his fingers across the keyboard.
"What about the nickname?" (it's udhhsq7)
"same thing."
"How did you get into the guild?"
"Oh, there's a screen where you just check every box and a guild picks you."
"You checked every box?"
"Yes, there were a lot of them."

Ends up that if your'e not active for 4 or 5 weeks you get kicked. he never got kicked.

I asked about the chat box.
"You just type whatever you want".

Apparently it auto filled from prior text inputs, like from my texts to the Missus. I scrolled through some of the history.
"Samurai bike master" or something like it. I realized that it must have been when I got a butt dial and an old racing friend of mine, from 20 years ago, was describing me in a very drunk, slurred voice. "... and this guy, he's a samurai on a bike" or something like that. I thought it was hilarious and texted it to the Missus. So when Junior started doing his "text swipe" and hit "sa" it autofilled some stuff. Somehow the others in the guild didn't think "what the heck is this player doing?"

So I said to the guild that my 7, now 8, and turning 9 year old, installed the game, has been playing for a year plus, and sorry for anything he might have done wrong. Apparently he never did anything wrong.

Guild leader changed once when the then-leader couldn't play much. He deferred to someone who was pretty active, tried to get others involved, etc. That was maybe 6 months ago.

New guild leader is changing jobs, can't play much. And to my complete surprise, he asked me (and Junior ) to be the guild leader. I asked Junior if he wanted to be leader, if he thought it was fair. He said he wanted to be leader so I told the leader yes.

So now we're the leader of a tiny, tiny guild. That change happened two days ago.

Junior was playing LM very intently yesterday
"What are you doing?"
"Inviting players who aren't in a guild into our guild"
"Oh."
He looked at me. "That's what a guild leader does."

So if you play LM and want to look us up, message me. We're a mostly F2P (free to play - we don't pay for stuff), casual (like I'm a casual racer maybe), play-when-we-can kind of guild. I love working together to get stuff done, it's like teamwork in a bike race. We have a few actives, a few more sort of actives, and a rotating group of new players that decide they don't like the game or something.
That's funny.

I played Clash of Clans with my nephew for a while.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-05-21, 04:33 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Looking for any help I can get, so I took the leap today and put a waxed chain on my TT bike for the upcoming races. Living in an apartment and managing chain cleaning and waxing is going to be interesting.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-05-21, 07:49 PM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
The beeping has returned. It seems to be tied to wet weather. I crawled under the house, sump pump is working fine, has no battery backup or speaker.

I'm at a loss again.
Old 07-06-21, 04:44 PM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
The roller coaster ride continues. It looks likes I am going to get that big promotion after all. It's getting hard to keep up with it all.
Likes For ntnyln:
Old 07-07-21, 09:15 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
So I was wearing this t shirt (well, sort of, mine's a different color) to physical therapy today, and the receptionist told me that she might have to steal my shirt. I was about ready to come back with an office space comment when she started talking about how she'd been to a couple of his concerts and his book signing. She was trying to read what the text said so she could figure out what show it was from. I sat down quickly and faced away from her so she couldn't read it because I didn't want her to think I was making fun of her favorite singer.
Old 07-07-21, 11:09 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
Originally Posted by himespau
So I was wearing this t shirt (well, sort of, mine's a different color) to physical therapy today, and the receptionist told me that she might have to steal my shirt. I was about ready to come back with an office space comment when she started talking about how she'd been to a couple of his concerts and his book signing. She was trying to read what the text said so she could figure out what show it was from. I sat down quickly and faced away from her so she couldn't read it because I didn't want her to think I was making fun of her favorite singer.
I used to have sound clips from office space set up for my window's sounds at work. Every night when I shut my computer off it would do the bit - "What if we're still doin' this when we're 50? - Samir: It would be nice to have that kind of job security."

Email notification was the server making the fake laugh sounds. I would switch between this and the Monty Python Holy Grail arrow in the chest "message for you sir" sound bite.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-07-21, 04:46 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

New x rays again today, surgeon says the bone is effectively healed and it's time to be aggressive with physiotherapy.

Up until now the therapist did not have clearance from the surgeon to push... all motion had to come from me - not anymore. I fear my appointment tomorrow will be unpleasant.

#Goldmember
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-08-21, 04:20 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

I am now part guitar.
#Goldmember

Last edited by Enthalpic; 07-08-21 at 04:30 PM.
Old 07-08-21, 05:23 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8191 Post(s)
Liked 8,849 Times in 4,396 Posts
That's quite the contraption.
Old 07-09-21, 06:22 AM
himespau 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 4196 Post(s)
Liked 2,912 Times in 1,781 Posts
Wow.
Old 07-09-21, 06:56 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

wow. I thought I was a mess.
Old 07-09-21, 08:03 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1327 Post(s)
Liked 2,439 Times in 1,426 Posts
I will never complain again.
Likes For Hermes:
Old 07-09-21, 08:41 AM
cmh

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 327 Times in 161 Posts
Wow. Hope you aren't in that get up for long.
Old 07-09-21, 09:22 AM
Flatballer
No matches

Bikes: two wheeled ones

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1398 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 250 Posts
Is that just a temporary thing you take on and off for PT? I wonder how much that high grade medical attachment device (safety pin) would've cost here.
Old 07-09-21, 11:37 AM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

I only wear it for 30 minutes.

Kinda scary looking eh?

It's called a dynamic splint.

Last edited by Enthalpic; 07-09-21 at 11:45 AM.
Likes For Enthalpic:
Old 07-09-21, 11:43 AM
Psimet2001 
I eat carbide.

Bikes: Lots. Van Dessel and Squid Dealer

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 1,306 Times in 560 Posts
I apologize - my first instinct is to grab a tensiometer and a spoke wrench when I see that. Man, I hope that works out for you.

Likes For Psimet2001:
Old 07-09-21, 12:04 PM
Enthalpic
Killing Rabbits

Originally Posted by Psimet2001
I apologize - my first instinct is to grab a tensiometer and a spoke wrench when I see that. Man, I hope that works out for you.
I was expecting them to pull out a tool to measure the string tension, but they didn't.

The thing looks worse than it is. Applies a gentle stretch for 30min then you take it off.
Old 07-09-21, 12:39 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

When I did my elbow I had to wear something similar several times a days. It was, to use a technical term, ass.
Old 07-09-21, 05:01 PM
caloso

I had that MP sound file. I'd alternate it with HAL 9000 saying "there is a message for you."
Likes For caloso:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.