Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

What have you been wrenching on lately?

Old 07-09-21, 07:10 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I have been away for a while due to work and other stuff, I have been playing with my Mini Cooper, a chassis upgrade has kept me busy collecting parts. It's morphing into a dual purpose track day car and world class bicycle hauler.

Untitled by nemosengineer, on Flickr
AST Coilovers with 7 Kg Swift springs and spherical ball mounts with adjustable camber.

M7 Maxx G control arms and sway bar end links

Powerflex race bushings on control arm mounts

A set of new modified engine and trans mounts (much stiffer) and a racing torque link. in addition all ball joints and steering bits have been replaced, As usual I'm waiting on sway bars and various other bits to show up from Germany, a major brake upgrade is also in the works.

My R55S still on the stock suspension.
: Mike
Looks like some serious business going on there, it should corner like it's on rails, gota love those MINI'S!
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Likes For xiaoman1:
Old 07-09-21, 07:32 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 655 Posts
Nice looking Mini Nemosengineer . I don't know how stiff those engine mounts are however, I got some Mopar performance engine mounts for my Omni (way back when) and it can turn a daily driver into a rattle box. For me that was no problem. But your car looks like a daily driver.

Another solution that some have used is to fill the holes/voids in the original engine mount rubber with Butyl rubber from a tube. It is not as stiff as the racing mounts, but better than the factory version that are meant to dampen noise, vibration and harshness. It also works to stiffen suspension bushings.
Old 07-09-21, 09:35 AM
xiaoman1 

Bikes: A few too many

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1359 Post(s)
Liked 2,173 Times in 1,178 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule
Nice looking Mini Nemosengineer . I don't know how stiff those engine mounts are however, I got some Mopar performance engine mounts for my Omni (way back when) and it can turn a daily driver into a rattle box. For me that was no problem. But your car looks like a daily driver.

Another solution that some have used is to fill the holes/voids in the original engine mount rubber with Butyl rubber from a tube. It is not as stiff as the racing mounts, but better than the factory version that are meant to dampen noise, vibration and harshness. It also works to stiffen suspension bushings.
@Nemosengineer

Not sure if its about getting groceries or comfort anymore, Porsches look out., should be good for over 1.+ on the SPN....Just Sayin.
Best, Ben

Voice recognition may sometimes create odd spelling and grammatical errors

Old 07-10-21, 11:04 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
I have been wanting to get my recently acquired Daccordi on the road for a while and finally had a couple of days free of other disturbances to strip, clean and rebuild it.

Borrowed a couple of wheels from another bike for a first test ride around the block, and it shows promise. The borrowed wheel set is shod with 20mm tires, which felt very nice and zippy. As long as I stayed on the flat tarmac, that is.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 07-10-21, 12:26 PM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
I need to find a new appreciative home for this one. I originally bought it from a friend and built to suit Mrs_Name. Then it went to her sis for a number of years…now it’s found its way back.

Old 07-10-21, 08:25 PM
3speedslow

Bikes: A few

Mentioned: 117 Post(s)
Quoted: 1937 Post(s)
Liked 1,043 Times in 627 Posts
Glorious victory over the cursed stuck seat post! Last summer I picked up an 89 GT Karakoram for a song, then found out the post was really stuck. Lost the possession of house and stuff for the year. Dug the frame out from where it was thrown and began cutting another slice down the post. Last night it finally gave way and came out!

picking up a cylinder hone for this and a few more frames then a modified rebuild of the GT.

This was a beer reward event!

As bought

Cutting last year

Cleared seat post

240mm of stuck bugger!
Likes For 3speedslow:
Old 07-10-21, 08:48 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Nemosengineer
I have been away for a while due to work and other stuff, I have been playing with my Mini Cooper, a chassis upgrade has kept me busy collecting parts. It's morphing into a dual purpose track day car and world class bicycle hauler.

AST Coilovers with 7 Kg Swift springs and spherical ball mounts with adjustable camber.

M7 Maxx G control arms and sway bar end links

Powerflex race bushings on control arm mounts

A set of new modified engine and trans mounts (much stiffer) and a racing torque link. in addition all ball joints and steering bits have been replaced, As usual I'm waiting on sway bars and various other bits to show up from Germany, a major brake upgrade is also in the works.

My R55S still on the stock suspension.
: Mike
Nice.
I had an original mini. Not much engine power, but it’s amazing how quickly a 1,500lb car can stop when you need to.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-10-21, 09:02 PM
SkinGriz
Live not by lies.

Bikes: BigBox bikes.

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 860 Post(s)
Liked 784 Times in 582 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule

Had a roommate with a 97si.
He was all “We are going to use the intake from an integra, put this exhaust in, lower the car...”

I tried to tell him “Leave it alone, or get another car to be your daily driver.”

The straw that broke the camels back was when he installed some kind of racing clutch that didn’t have the cush springs in the middle. (Correct terms escaping me).

I’ve driven autocross cars that between the cam and the clutch were on almost a knife edge between burning out and stalling.
Likes For SkinGriz:
Old 07-10-21, 09:41 PM
G.Varela

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 15 Posts
Three different projects, and it is way too much. Canadian Peugeot ps14, 1981 Peugeot pxn10, 1987 scwhinn paramount. To be honest the Paramount has taken center stage, I cant wait to ride that machine.
Old 07-11-21, 07:25 AM
Sir_Name 

@Nemosengineer, that looks like so much fun.
Old 07-17-21, 11:42 AM
gaucho777 

Bikes: '72 Cilo Pacer, '72 Gitane Gran Tourisme, '72 Peugeot PX10, '73 Speedwell Ti, '74 Peugeot UE-8, '75 Peugeot PR-10L, '80 Colnago Super, '85 De Rosa Pro, '86 Look Equipe 753, '86 Look KG86, '89 Parkpre Team, '90 Parkpre Team MTB, '90 Merlin

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 2,048 Times in 545 Posts
Someone down the street had left out a nearly original '75 Peugeot PR-10L with their trash. It was in need of a thorough overhaul, but it was free. That's what I've been working on. The only thing I'm going to have to buy is new tires. I decided to rebuild the wheels so I could give the hubs and rims a good polish, and relace with stainless spokes instead of the galvanized ones.

Likes For gaucho777:
Old 07-17-21, 02:00 PM
Bianchigirll 
Bianchi Goddess

Bikes: Too many to list here check my signature.

Mentioned: 191 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2912 Post(s)
Liked 2,836 Times in 1,460 Posts
since the first time I rode my Batavus in 2018 after I moved to Ft Wayne I’ve wanted to ditch the 39t inner. I finally took a few minutes to look for a replacement last week, I think this FSA will look pretty good with the Speedlight crank

I had to compare the old ring to a Campagnolo 135 and just sort of hope it was actually 130bcd.

A plain Jane silver ring just wouldn’t do.

I think it looks pretty good even with the blue. Maybe blue retainers for the self extractor

. I thought the blue bolts might be a nice touch.

Sugar "Kane" Kowalczyk
Likes For Bianchigirll:
Old 07-17-21, 07:55 PM
Sir_Name 

Long overdue drivetrain cleaning on the Raleigh. A more powerful and heated ultrasonic cleaner got added to the list today…this rice cooker doesn’t quite cut it.

Last edited by Sir_Name; 07-17-21 at 07:58 PM.
Likes For Sir_Name:
Old 07-17-21, 10:06 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Just finished this … test/adjust ride tomorrow …
JD

2002 Caad5 911 Commemorative Edition

Old 07-18-21, 01:18 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
My newest wrenching canvas, an old all chrome Torpado that I bought yesterday...
Old 07-18-21, 05:43 PM
thumpism 
Bikes are okay, I guess.

Bikes: Waterford Paramount Touring, Giant CFM-2, Raleigh Sports 3-speeds in M23 & L23, Schwinn Cimarron oddball build, Marin Palisades Trail dropbar conversion, Nishiki Cresta GT

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 2647 Post(s)
Liked 2,445 Times in 1,557 Posts
Just a bite of bike work today, prepping for some work on the Cresta GT, I found some 26.0 bars in a 41cm width to fit one of the Technomics stems, close enough to my preferred width. Had to get old Scotch tape and adhesive off and a thumbnail and some Brake Kleen worked pretty well for that, along with some steel wool. Also installed my old Fujita Pro saddle on it from the now-departed Trek city build.
Old 07-18-21, 08:13 PM
jim dandy

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 422 Times in 149 Posts
Originally Posted by Bianchigirll
since the first time I rode my Batavus in 2018 after I moved to Ft Wayne I’ve wanted to ditch the 39t inner. I finally took a few minutes to look for a replacement last week, I think this FSA will look pretty good with the Speedlight crank

I had to compare the old ring to a Campagnolo 135 and just sort of hope it was actually 130bcd.

A plain Jane silver ring just wouldn’t do.

I think it looks pretty good even with the blue. Maybe blue retainers for the self extractor

. I thought the blue bolts might be a nice touch.
Yup,
Blue bolts are just the right touch …
Old 07-19-21, 10:47 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 801 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 655 Posts
I just got this Cannondale M400 to rideable condition and took it out for it's first ride. It seemed to take forever to come together. It is a mishmash of parts, however it works well. The Force 40 brakes have been replaced with V brakes. The wheels have been rebuilt with CR18 rims. I will be changing the seat as soon as I can find something suitable. I was planning on getting large flat pedals, however, after riding it, I like the plastic toe clips. I grew up on toe clips so this feels good. I'll get leather straps though. And I will be looking for or will sew a bag to carry tools and spares for it.

Old 07-19-21, 03:03 PM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4494 Post(s)
Liked 6,300 Times in 3,633 Posts
Originally Posted by thumpism
Just a bite of bike work today, prepping for some work on the Cresta GT, I found some 26.0 bars in a 41cm width to fit one of the Technomics stems, close enough to my preferred width. Had to get old Scotch tape and adhesive off and a thumbnail and some Brake Kleen worked pretty well for that, along with some steel wool. Also installed my old Fujita Pro saddle on it from the now-departed Trek city build.
If you escalate to real non-evaporative oldschool carb cleaner, it melts that off with with very little drama aside from being nasty, toxic stuff that you can't get many places anymore.
Old 07-19-21, 07:02 PM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1124 Post(s)
Liked 1,704 Times in 941 Posts
A Campy triple gets newish rings from an orphan crank purchase.

A Miyata 615 managed to fall into my grubby paw as well

some lightly sanded and newly polished bling with new pads added, along with some 32 skinwall tires.
Old 07-20-21, 06:23 AM
SJX426 

Bikes: '65 Frejus TDF, '73 Bottecchia Giro d'Italia, '83 Colnago Superissimo, '84 Trek 610, '84 Trek 760, '88 Pinarello Veneto, '88 De Rosa Pro, '89 Pinarello Montello, '94 Burley Duet, 97 Specialized RockHopper, 2010 Langster, Tern Link D8

Mentioned: 73 Post(s)
Quoted: 1601 Post(s)
Liked 2,188 Times in 1,093 Posts
10V chain on 8V drive train. sort of. Issue. - Bike Forums
Old 07-20-21, 11:59 AM
Roger M
Banned.

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 469 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 646 Posts
Not so much vintage bike wrenching, but working on a carrier solution for said vintage bicycle. In preparation for Cino, I needed to come up with a way to haul our tandem. In the past I put it on the roof of my wagon(using a Yakima tandem rack). For this trip we're driving Mrs. Ms SUV.

Even as tall as I am, I don't want to hoist it up that high. There's also a pretty good fuel mileage penalty with it on the roof(over 1,300 plus miles). I thought about putting it inside with wheels removed, but no room with kids, dog, gear, etc.

Anyhow, I decided to modify the Yakima tandem rack to mount on a hitch rack. With the wheels off, it barely protrudes beyond the width of the car. I am fairly pleased with the results.

You'll have to excuse a couple things. It's just mocked up now, and I need to get to the hardware store for some proper bolts, nuts, washers. Also,, the tandem is being worked on and is missing stoker vars at the moment.

Old 07-20-21, 06:35 PM
mitchito

Bikes: 1948 Humber, 1956 Raleigh, 1957 Rigby Bros, 1950s Hercules Renown,

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Grabbed a Schwinn Caliente, kinda rusty but I am taking it apart and I got a bunch or misc. parts from freecycle that I will be putting on it and hopefully it will be a bike again.
Old 07-20-21, 09:48 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3846 Post(s)
Liked 6,437 Times in 3,183 Posts
Originally Posted by gaucho777
Someone down the street had left out a nearly original '75 Peugeot PR-10L with their trash... The only thing I'm going to have to buy is new tires.

Originally Posted by Mr. 66
A Campy triple gets newish rings from an orphan crank purchase.
That's the way you do it!
Old 07-20-21, 10:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1936 Post(s)
Liked 2,150 Times in 1,313 Posts
I’m trying out some Kelly TakeOffs on my Cannondale.

The right seems to be positioned well enough.

Still working on the left. I’m using Ultegra 6401 DT shifters that are spring loaded. Trying to get them setup up easy enough to use smoothly. I’m running an XTR M900 front derailleur that results in more throw, so I might need to swap it for a road triple.

John

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.