Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Any reason not to get the S-Works Tarmac SL7?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Any reason not to get the S-Works Tarmac SL7?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-21, 03:23 PM
Chandne

Bikes: 2022 Moots RCS, 2014 BMC SLR01 DA Mech, 2020 Santa Cruz Stigmata, Ibis Ripmo, Trek Top Fuel, Specialized Levo SL, Norco Bigfoot VLT

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 464 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 118 Posts
That is good to know. Still, they are becoming less and less common and I think that Zipp and ENVE will eventually stop making rim-brake wheels as well. I'm just going to prepare for a disc frame or bike next. My buddy ended up buying my disc Tarmac to race on so I'm down to my BMC. love the BMC but I'd like to get something that can handle 28-30 tires as well. Disc bikes are nice to have here too.
Old 07-14-21, 03:27 PM
colnago62

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 412 Times in 230 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
That is good to know. Still, they are becoming less and less common and I think that Zipp and ENVE will eventually stop making rim-brake wheels as well. I'm just going to prepare for a disc frame or bike next. My buddy ended up buying my disc Tarmac to race on so I'm down to my BMC. love the BMC but I'd like to get something that can handle 28-30 tires as well. Disc bikes are nice to have here too.
I do think rim brakes are aimed square at the high performance Market. Most people don’t need to make hyper fast wheel changes.
Old 07-14-21, 06:47 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by colnago62
I do think rim brakes are aimed square at the high performance Market. Most people don’t need to make hyper fast wheel changes.
I don't think this have been mentioned lately but stiffening up the fork for disk has to change the handling. I will test the limits so I know what to expect. We have a Roubaix that under heavy braking from speed with the rear lifting the fork would oscillate side to side very much like my track car would dart on hot race tires at the limit. It is probably small enough not to matter at anything less than max brake but I suspect without proof there is a diff. With beach cruiser size tires so popular that would swamp the feel so probably not an issue but something to keep in mind.
Old 07-14-21, 07:09 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1939 Post(s)
Liked 1,463 Times in 1,012 Posts
Originally Posted by Chandne
... I think that Zipp and ENVE will eventually stop making rim-brake wheels as well. I'm just going to prepare for a disc frame or bike next.
That is my outlook too. Not just Zipp and Enve, but other wheel manufacturers too. There were definitely more choices when I upgraded my rim brake wheels in 2017 than when I looked last year.
Old 07-14-21, 07:19 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by popeye
I don't think this have been mentioned lately but stiffening up the fork for disk has to change the handling. I will test the limits so I know what to expect. We have a Roubaix that under heavy braking from speed with the rear lifting the fork would oscillate side to side very much like my track car would dart on hot race tires at the limit. It is probably small enough not to matter at anything less than max brake but I suspect without proof there is a diff. With beach cruiser size tires so popular that would swamp the feel so probably not an issue but something to keep in mind.
I suppose that is why pretty much all sport bikes (i.e., motorcycles) have two front disc brakes: one on each fork. Otherwise, with only one disc on one fork, it is much harder to balance all the forces in all situations (braking, non-braking, and fork deflection in either).
Old 07-14-21, 07:29 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Originally Posted by yarbrough462
You do realize that MTBs have had disc brakes for many years now right? The road and MTB systems are not that different and MTB brakes are used pretty dang harshly.
Regarding strictly the braking aspect, you are correct; both road bikes and mountain bikes have disc brakes. But have you considered suspension? Road bike forks deflect to cushion the weight on the forks, whereas mount bike forks have suspension travel. So road bike forks are a compromise between (a) keeping both forks similar to provide suspension when riding down a less than perfectly smooth road and (b) overbuilding the disc-side fork to resist the twisting forces when braking hard.
Old 07-14-21, 08:13 PM
Pizzaiolo Americano 
Pizzaiolo Americano

Bikes: 2021 Trek Domane, Bianchi Intenso, Specialized Epic Evo, Surly Ice Cream Truck, Some other stuff

Quoted: 287 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by SoSmellyAir
Regarding strictly the braking aspect, you are correct; both road bikes and mountain bikes have disc brakes. But have you considered suspension? Road bike forks deflect to cushion the weight on the forks, whereas mount bike forks have suspension travel. So road bike forks are a compromise between (a) keeping both forks similar to provide suspension when riding down a less than perfectly smooth road and (b) overbuilding the disc-side fork to resist the twisting forces when braking hard.
While you are correct in your post, it is not relevant to the conversation we were having. We were specifically discussing the article where Chris Froome inferred that disc brakes were a nightmare for his techs because of fading and rub issues. If a World Tour mechanic can't set up disc brakes to eliminate those issues, they probably need to look for a different job...There is no doubt the disc side of the fork has to be built to handle the increased brake stresses but, the added weight is a non-issue when the UCI has a minimum weight of 6.8kg on race bikes. Disc brake bikes can be built that light and are on a regular basis.
Old 07-14-21, 09:35 PM
popeye

Bikes: S works Tarmac, Felt TK2 track

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
No we were discussing why one should not buy a Spec SL7. Disk brakes for some is a deal breaker. As for weight some have had to compromise elsewhere to accommodate the weight penalty. No free lunch.