Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Vado vs Allant

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Vado vs Allant

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-21, 09:37 AM
siesta_texas

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Vado vs Allant

I am really wanting to get an eBike to replace my vehicle commute. It is 15 miles each way. I have bike commuted plenty but it take me just over an hour each way and I am pretty smoked by the end of the ride.

Given the replacement of a vehicle, price is less sensitive and I would pay premium for comfort, reliability and warranty.

I like the Allant+ 8 but don't like the idea of using my phone and don't want to have to pay even more for a Bosch computer. I like the Turbo Vado 5.0 but it doesn't have range extender battery option and it also seems unavailable everywhere.

Can anyone chime in on their real life experience with either of the models for consistent commuting for extended miles?
Old 03-20-21, 12:22 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
The phone hub has a speedo built in. You don't have to use your phone.

If you're commuting, I'd get a commuting oriented bike. There are other choices, like the Trek Verve 3, which is fast, and cheaper.

You also didn't say which 8 you were looking at.

I would broaden the search. Try a Verve, for example. Do you have a Gazelle dealer in the area? Nothing against Trek, my wife has a Verve, but if you have choices, you might as well take a look.
Old 03-20-21, 01:26 PM
siesta_texas

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Allant+ 8

I am interested in the Allant+ 8 latest model. Isn’t the verve 3 a non-eBike?

I am leaning towards Trek or Specialized due to warranty issues.

not sure if that makes sense
Old 03-20-21, 04:32 PM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12191 Post(s)
Liked 1,495 Times in 1,107 Posts
Originally Posted by siesta_texas

I am interested in the Allant+ 8 latest model. Isn’t the verve 3 a non-eBike?

I am leaning towards Trek or Specialized due to warranty issues.

not sure if that makes sense

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...rve-3/p/30979/

Technically, that's a Verve+. They really should give it it's own name. It's got a 250 watt motor, and a limit of 20 mph. You may want more power, but it's been enough for me.

Gazelle has a good rep.

By the latest Allant model, do you mean the Stagger? They have one at my dealer, but I haven't tried it. Seems nice.
Old 03-21-21, 06:36 AM
klevin

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
I'm getting an Allant 8s Stagger this week. Having the cell phone display instead of a Purion is one thing that sold me on it. I'm going to use an older cell phone sitting in a drawer for the display, at least for now. You get a much bigger, more readable, more flexible display with a cell phone.
Old 03-21-21, 08:22 AM
Barrettscv 
Have bike, will travel

Bikes: Ridley Helium SLX, Canyon Endurance SL, De Rosa Professional, Eddy Merckx Corsa Extra, Schwinn Paramount (1 painted, 1 chrome), Peugeot PX10, Serotta Nova X, Simoncini Cyclocross Special, Raleigh Roker, Pedal Force CG2 and CX2

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 910 Post(s)
Liked 288 Times in 158 Posts
I have the Vado SL 5. The water-bottle battery extender is easily used with my model. I'm getting 40-50 miles and 3500 ft of climbing to a charge, averaging 14 mph on hilly terrain from the standard battery, so I'm not planning on buying the extender battery.

What the Vado does best is climb. It will climb a 15% grade at 6 to 10 mph with moderate effort. My 180 watts becomes a total of 360 watts in turbo mode. This makes any climb possible. If the rider wants to complete the climb in half the time normally needed, a strong effort mashing the pedals will pick up the pace. If the cyclists just wants to climb while maintaining an sub anaerobic pace, The bike will climb with reduce effort needed and the pace is maintained.

Where the bike doesn't deliver a bionic response is at speeds above 17 mph on a flat road. While using any of my good road bikes, I can hold 17 mph with moderate effort. The Vado SL requires the same or greater effort at 15-25 mph on a flat road. Yes, putting the bike in Turbo mode will deliver 20 to 25 mph. However, both the rider and the battery would be drained in 30 minutes.
When I ride my bike I feel free and happy and strong. I'm liberated from the usual nonsense of day to day life. Solid, dependable, silent, my bike is my horse, my fighter jet, my island, my friend. Together we will conquer that hill and thereafter the world.

Last edited by Barrettscv; 03-21-21 at 09:45 AM.