Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed
Reload this Page >

oops... bought another colnago frame

Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Old 10-06-20, 09:59 PM
poggor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts

I had been chasing a master in my size for a while .the mapei livery was a huge bonus.
condition: very good used - some evidence of chain slap and a few small paint chips mainly around the chainstays.
my plan is to build this up NON PERIOD and use it as my second daily rider. also for a few big climbing events early next year. I'm thinking super record 11 and some mavic rsys slrs I have lying around.

grateful for any insights from the Colnago experts about this frame- the painted fork is interesting. I would think around 1993 maybe?

poggor

Old 10-07-20, 03:36 AM
Sir_Name 

Bikes: are fun!

Mentioned: 66 Post(s)
Quoted: 466 Post(s)
Liked 852 Times in 271 Posts
Nice find, looking forward to seeing it built.
Old 10-07-20, 05:26 PM
Gary Fountain

Bikes: Colnago (82, 85, 89, 90, 91, 96, 03), 85 Cinelli, 90 Rossin, 83 Alan, 82 Bianchi, 78 Fountain, 2 x Pinarello, Malvern Star (37), Hillman (70's), 80's Beretto Lo-Pro Track, 80's Kenevans Lo-Pro, Columbus Max (95), DeGrandi (80's) Track.

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 196 Times in 122 Posts
Colnago's straight bladed 'Precisa" front fork was introduced ( not a new concept though) by Colnago in 1988. The Colnago description includes:
As tested by Ferrari, "Vibration absorption is maximised (also benefitting the integrity of the headset), the danger of resonance by vibrations transmitted from uneven surfaces is controlled, and better comfort and handling precision is achieved. Simply put, a frame with a straight fork is much easier to control, and is more safe and stable – a success! From that moment on, the Precisa fork, renamed by Ernesto Colnago, supplanted the classic style and the entire cycling industry adapted the new design."

As for the Mapei colour scheme, I think this is a desirable colour scheme that celebrates the
Paris-Roubaix winning bikes of Franco Ballerini 1995, 1998, Andrea Tafi 1999, and Johan Museeuw 1996 (Colnago Mapei's finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd) and 2000.

Last edited by Gary Fountain; 10-08-20 at 03:09 AM.
Likes For Gary Fountain:
Old 10-09-20, 07:50 PM
poggor

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 4 Posts
thanks gary- that's great information
Old 10-11-20, 07:26 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 597 Post(s)
Liked 767 Times in 490 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain
Colnago's straight bladed 'Precisa" front fork was introduced ( not a new concept though) by Colnago in 1988. The Colnago description includes:
As tested by Ferrari, "Vibration absorption is maximised (also benefitting the integrity of the headset), the danger of resonance by vibrations transmitted from uneven surfaces is controlled, and better comfort and handling precision is achieved. Simply put, a frame with a straight fork is much easier to control, and is more safe and stable – a success! From that moment on, the Precisa fork, renamed by Ernesto Colnago, supplanted the classic style and the entire cycling industry adapted the new design."

As for the Mapei colour scheme, I think this is a desirable colour scheme that celebrates the
Paris-Roubaix winning bikes of Franco Ballerini 1995, 1998, Andrea Tafi 1999, and Johan Museeuw 1996 (Colnago Mapei's finished 1st, 2nd and 3rd) and 2000.
Beautiful frame, I love the master profile tubes.
The Precisa fork is so nice that Colnago even used them on the earlier C40 carbon bikes. I have one of those models and love the ride and looks.
Old 10-11-20, 07:51 AM
MiloFrance

Bikes: Lots of French, some British and a couple of Italian

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 247 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 64 Posts
Lovely. My Titanio in the same paint is apparently 1998, according to the shop that originally supplied it and sold it to me as a trade in.
Old 04-30-21, 03:28 AM
MarkinOz

Bikes: Wilier Cento10Ndr, Giant Anthem 2, 1985 Gefsco, 1979 Gios Torino Super Record, 1983 Peugeot PFN10, Terry Dolan built Reynolds 753 Cougar for Malcolm Elliott

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by poggor
I had been chasing a master in my size for a while .the mapei livery was a huge bonus.
condition: very good used - some evidence of chain slap and a few small paint chips mainly around the chainstays.
my plan is to build this up NON PERIOD and use it as my second daily rider. also for a few big climbing events early next year. I'm thinking super record 11 and some mavic rsys slrs I have lying around.

grateful for any insights from the Colnago experts about this frame- the painted fork is interesting. I would think around 1993 maybe?

poggor

Beautiful frame and colouring, look forward to seeing this built up poggor

I was offered a Master Piu the other day in a beautiful purple & gold colour scheme but I resisted as I’ve been waiting for a c40. Somebody must have heard me as yesterday I was offered this c40 Mk.1 with the Precisa front forks. It’s a great Colnago paint design again but I’m a little unsure as to the exact model. The seller says it’s a Limited Edition Paris Roubaix model whereas I think it looks more like the Team Lampre edition. Anyone offer an opinion??

Likes For MarkinOz:
Old 04-30-21, 09:23 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by Gary Fountain

Amazing when a change to reduce manufacturing effort turns into a marketing boast.
Ernesto, a round of applause.
Likes For repechage:
Old 04-30-21, 09:34 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Notice those little "kidney bean" cutouts in the OP's headlugs? Does anybody know for certain that these are marks of the possible builder: Giovanni Losa? I am repeating hearsay so not admissible evidence in any court (except court of public opinion)
Old 04-30-21, 11:56 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by unworthy1
Notice those little "kidney bean" cutouts in the OP's headlugs? Does anybody know for certain that these are marks of the possible builder: Giovanni Losa? I am repeating hearsay so not admissible evidence in any court (except court of public opinion)
maybe
' colnago '

I like this frame compared to the later aluminum "team" models.
Old 04-30-21, 04:44 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1420 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
maybe
' colnago '
If by that you mean Ernesto built it: not likely. It is said that he never built a single frame (although he may have in his youth as an apprentice but certainly not once his own business was booming). It's somewhat a mystery who are the actual hands on the torches but accepted as fact that he employs some outside contractors to build some of his self-named frames. I have seen that detail myself in head lugs of frames attributed to Losa BUT since Losa has a strong connection to Cinelli frames I'd be surprised if Ernesto would ever "go there".
Old 05-02-21, 11:40 AM
repechage

Originally Posted by unworthy1
If by that you mean Ernesto built it: not likely. It is said that he never built a single frame (although he may have in his youth as an apprentice but certainly not once his own business was booming). It's somewhat a mystery who are the actual hands on the torches but accepted as fact that he employs some outside contractors to build some of his self-named frames. I have seen that detail myself in head lugs of frames attributed to Losa BUT since Losa has a strong connection to Cinelli frames I'd be surprised if Ernesto would ever "go there".
You missed the single quote mark, aligns with the side cutout shape in the lugs.
Old 06-03-21, 08:14 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2424 Post(s)
Liked 1,391 Times in 891 Posts
Thread moved from C and V to Brifters
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.