Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is something wrong with my pump?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-21, 04:36 PM
vane171

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts

I have a still newish foot pump and have problem pumping air into tire because the tube valve (Presta) doesn't release and I just get high pressure inside the pump hose. I have to reconnect the hose several times, even many times before the air starts going into the tube.

I have been pumping wheels up in EU with different pump for years and didn't have this problem. Maybe this pump hose end head is somehow faulty? Or maybe I should buy new tube valve inserts, not sure what you call those).
After I unscrew the tube valve I tap it with finger to release a bit of air and make sure it is not stuck.

I try to unscrew the valve fully or only half way, also try to slip the pump hose head on the valve more or less and it is just a luck when finally I succeed.

Last edited by vane171; 11-13-21 at 04:39 PM.
Old 11-13-21, 05:52 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 836 Post(s)
Liked 1,061 Times in 745 Posts
Originally Posted by vane171
. Maybe this pump hose end head is somehow faulty? Or maybe I should buy new tube valve inserts, not sure what you call those).
After I unscrew the tube valve I tap it with finger to release a bit of air and make sure it is not stuck.
If your valves are removeable, unscrew them out of the stems and check for stickiness or something clogging them up. You may just need to clean them a little by pushing the removed valves in and out a few times to dislodge any clogs.
Old 11-13-21, 06:19 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1793 Post(s)
Liked 1,267 Times in 874 Posts
Burp the valve to unstick it before connecting the pump.
Likes For Bill Kapaun:
Old 11-13-21, 07:10 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4200 Post(s)
Liked 3,854 Times in 2,304 Posts
Perhaps the pump's chuck has a really snug fit over the PV so that the slightest off angle slide on will burp the valve.

Some chucks don't want to be slid on as far as they can go because the valve stem top can bottom out on the inside end of the chuck.

BTW were you able to test pump with this pump before buying? Andy
Old 11-13-21, 07:27 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I manage, eventually, sometimes even on first try, but then when next time comes to put some air in the tires, I try and try and I only pump up high pressure in the pump hose and the valve won't depress to let the air in. I re-slot the pump hose head on the valve and keep trying.

Burping means short depressing to let a bit of air out, to check for stickeness I suppose.

I bought the pump last year but didn't use it much till recently when I got this bike that needs to put some air in every few days or once a week. It is shop branded pump, purchased at MountainCoop in Toronto. They have a bike servicing section too, I didn't think of that yet but now I believe I should take it there and have their mechanics test it out or teach me how to operate the thing , I am sure they will be willing to help.

It is kind of silly, that's why I didn't think of that before, especially since I always somehow manage to make it work. But if I was like some guys around here who inflate every day or second day, before a ride, I would be even more annoyed.
Old 11-13-21, 08:48 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Happens all the time w/ Presta valves. That's why all the old guys you see will tap the valve to 'un-stick' it before pumping. The air you pump always has some moisture in it and the valves will corrode a tiny bit and stick. That's one of the first things I was taught when I first started riding.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 11-13-21, 09:36 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Originally Posted by vane171
......Burping means short depressing to let a bit of air out, to check for stickeness I suppose.....
And it takes so much effort to give it a try.........
Old 11-13-21, 11:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Since you're so busy, go to the 0:40 mark. And learn from a girl.
Old 01-18-22, 06:20 PM
grizzly59

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 283 Post(s)
Liked 262 Times in 164 Posts
If you pump with the pump close to the tire and the valve at 12:00, the pump chuck is easy to remove as you're pulling down against the ground.