Notices
Early Brifter Bikes - 7,8, and 9 Speed Not vintage, not new, but still loved!

Naming and Scope?

Old 06-18-21, 06:52 AM
thinktubes 
weapons-grade bolognium

Bikes: Battaglin Cromor, Ciocc Designer 84, Schwinn Superior 1981

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 2,368 Times in 888 Posts
Just rename it "C&V Waiting Room"
Likes For thinktubes:
Old 06-18-21, 05:58 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
But in this case, the “they” that I was was specifically asking about are the ones who REJECT the perfectly cromulent portmanteau in question.
I just wanted to see a repeat of "cromulent portmanteau".
Likes For Camilo:
Old 06-18-21, 06:00 PM
Camilo

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1109 Post(s)
Liked 1,200 Times in 760 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Who do people who don’t like the term “brifter” want to call them “shifters” and not “brake levers”?
I just call them levers, Sram, Shimano, Campy, whatever. I feel foolish using the term brifter, just because I do.
Old 06-18-21, 06:35 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Originally Posted by Camilo
I just wanted to see a repeat of "cromulent portmanteau".
This thread has inspired me to work that into my vocabulary once a week.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 06-19-21, 08:15 AM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
I love how cromulent is totally a word now.

And I still say HyperGlide is the end of C&V, which slightly predates 130mm. Not sure exactly when the current era starts, but I like the idea of relating it to drivetrains because that's most relevant for technical enquiries - so maybe it should be the advent of 11s, since it obsoleted so many rear wheels?
Old 06-20-21, 10:40 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1942 Post(s)
Liked 2,162 Times in 1,321 Posts
Originally Posted by Kimmo
I love how cromulent is totally a word now.

And I still say HyperGlide is the end of C&V, which slightly predates 130mm. Not sure exactly when the current era starts, but I like the idea of relating it to drivetrains because that's most relevant for technical enquiries - so maybe it should be the advent of 11s, since it obsoleted so many rear wheels?
Tying it to Hyperglide would make this a Shimano subforum.

Freewheel vs freehub has an interesting history. Shimano came out with an EX freehub and cassette in the late 70’s. I think it was not widely accepted until 10 years later because 70’s and early 80’s Shimano was not considered good enough, compared to Campagnolo and Suntour, to be locked into having to use Shimano only cassettes for friction shifting.

Of course all that changed when the Suntour slant parallelogram patent ran out and SIS took over the industry.

John
Old 06-21-21, 12:55 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 659 Times in 502 Posts
Originally Posted by HTupolev
That's a totally different category. Indexed shifting predates brifters*, and although indexing is necessary for most forms of brifter, I'd argue that integration had a significantly larger impact on how bikes are ridden.

*By six years if you're talking SIS, about a decade and a half if you're talking about the late-20th-century Japanese derailleur indexing race in general, or considerably longer if you're talking about all forms of indexing in bicycle drivetrains.

They share common characteristics that separate them from non-integrated road shifters in both placement and functional consequence (of particular note being the ability to easily shift while riding out of the saddle), and so it's often useful to have a non-brand-specific term to refer to them in general. Obviously you could also use a descriptive phrase like "integrated brake/shift lever", but these are a mouthful compared with the simple portmanteau "brifter."

Based on what? Can you point me to an example of a discussion where someone is using "brifter" in a manner that clearly excludes Ergo?

I feel like we're speaking different languages.
Based on my riding and enthusiasm of bicycles since the late 1950s. Nothing more than that. What's your source of authority?
Old 06-21-21, 01:04 PM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Originally Posted by Lazyass
That's when 10 speed came out. 7,8,9 speed is this section. Not quite vintage but not totally modern anymore. Some members here weren't even born when 10 speed came out.
So if somebody somehow installs an 9-speed Campy 2x9 on a 1950s Clubman frame or a PX-10, then replaces the Ergopowers and cassettes with 10 sp, what has he got? a C&V, an early 7, 8, 9, or ... well, I guess we can't say it is a Retro Roadie or a resident of Road Forum ... ?
Old 06-21-21, 08:12 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Between early STI’s and their associated hoods, and the difficulty in finding Octalink V1 on the higher end Shimano 9 speed road groups, I’m running a 6503 crankset on one bike, this subforum does have its work cut out for them.

For it to become a viable landing spot for those with 90’s road bikes, there needs to be some solutions the C&V downtube-shifting-square-taper-folks don’t have to worry about, at least not quite as much.

It would be wise to have a couple of sticky’s to guide those riders who want to maintain their 90’s bikes.

Does anyone make a V1?

What era similar cranks are available?

Is anyone offering new silver anodized 7, 8, 9 speed brifters? If not is there a way to get there?

John
Old 06-23-21, 09:40 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Road Fan
So if somebody somehow installs an 9-speed Campy 2x9 on a 1950s Clubman frame or a PX-10, then replaces the Ergopowers and cassettes with 10 sp, what has he got? a C&V, an early 7, 8, 9, or ... well, I guess we can't say it is a Retro Roadie or a resident of Road Forum ... ?
If they can pull that off, more power to them.
I'd probably want to see the stages of that evolution.

Is this keeping you up at night?
Old 06-24-21, 06:18 AM
Road Fan

Originally Posted by livedarklions
If they can pull that off, more power to them.
I'd probably want to see the stages of that evolution.

Is this keeping you up at night?
No. Is it for you?
Old 06-24-21, 06:54 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

No. Is it for you?

Well, I'm not the guy who already quit this thread as "too repetitive", then came back to post a couple crazy hypothetical bike scenarios to try to prove something(?) about the naming of the forum.

I think you've gotten your answers, "brifter" in the name includes Campy for the purposes of this forum, "early" is going to be in the eyes of the beholder.

I'd probably add that "early brifter" refers to the bike's original equipment or to any equipment that was on the bike at any time, so that later modifications don't take the bike out of the category. The usefulness of this forum is going to be enhanced by discussions of what modifications do and don't work well.
Old 06-24-21, 01:45 PM
HTupolev

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1974 Post(s)
Liked 1,298 Times in 630 Posts
Based on my riding and enthusiasm of bicycles since the late 1950s. Nothing more than that. What's your source of authority?
I was responding to your claim that you had experience with "brifter" excluding Ergo. I was asking what that experience was.

Nothing about this has much to do with authority. This is a discussion on language. Language is, by and large, defined by those who use it: if you can point to examples of "brifter" being used in a manner which excludes Ergo, then your point might look strong. But thus far, those who have weighed in have not backed up your claim. If everybody except you thinks that it includes all integrated road brake-shift levers - as the construction of the word "brifter," and its entire reason for existing, seem to imply - then you're on fairly weak standing. This standing doesn't become stronger if you're Alfredo Binda's grandfather or whatever.

Last edited by HTupolev; 06-24-21 at 01:49 PM.
Likes For HTupolev:
Old 06-25-21, 07:52 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2589 Post(s)
Liked 1,919 Times in 1,203 Posts
Nothing about this has much to do with authority. This is a discussion on language. Language is, by and large, defined by those who use it: if you can point to examples of "brifter" being used in a manner which excludes Ergo, then your point might look strong. But thus far, those who have weighed in have not backed up your claim. If everybody except you thinks that it includes all integrated road brake-shift levers - as the construction of the word "brifter," and its entire reason for existing, seem to imply - then you're on fairly weak standing.
I keep trying to think up a parallel to Churchill's line about "England and America -- two countries separated by a common language" that would apply here. I can only get as far as "English speakers and Road Fan" before I hit a figurative wall, though.
Old 07-01-21, 10:09 AM
Road Fan

I was responding to your claim that you had experience with "brifter" excluding Ergo. I was asking what that experience was.

Nothing about this has much to do with authority. This is a discussion on language. Language is, by and large, defined by those who use it: if you can point to examples of "brifter" being used in a manner which excludes Ergo, then your point might look strong. But thus far, those who have weighed in have not backed up your claim. If everybody except you thinks that it includes all integrated road brake-shift levers - as the construction of the word "brifter," and its entire reason for existing, seem to imply - then you're on fairly weak standing. This standing doesn't become stronger if you're Alfredo Binda's grandfather or whatever.
I agree there's no such thing as authority on this topic. I don't think I said or suggested my opinion is stronger if my hair is more grey. My exposure to different language in the cycling world is potentially longer.

I rode a few buddies bikes briefly, maybe 15 years ago. I read opinions and q&a about them in in RBR, the lists here, RBT, Paceline, Velocipede Salon and a slew of other forums. I don't want a lot of history on Facebook so I try to keep that or family and old school connections. I've seen the term used in a wide range of magazine writing ever since indexing began. I rarely recall seeing the term used comprehensively across the brands.

My opinion on use of the term is also based on users of language - me and the writers I have read. The broad implication I have absorbed is that "brifter" generally does not include Campagnolo.
Old 07-02-21, 04:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

I agree there's no such thing as authority on this topic. I don't think I said or suggested my opinion is stronger if my hair is more grey. My exposure to different language in the cycling world is potentially longer.

I rode a few buddies bikes briefly, maybe 15 years ago. I read opinions and q&a about them in in RBR, the lists here, RBT, Paceline, Velocipede Salon and a slew of other forums. I don't want a lot of history on Facebook so I try to keep that or family and old school connections. I've seen the term used in a wide range of magazine writing ever since indexing began. I rarely recall seeing the term used comprehensively across the brands.

My opinion on use of the term is also based on users of language - me and the writers I have read. The broad implication I have absorbed is that "brifter" generally does not include Campagnolo.
Again, show us at least one example of this exclusion. Meantime, there's this from the Sheldon Brown site:

Brifter--A combination brake/shift lever, such as a Campagnolo Ergo or Shimano S.T.I. unit. This term was coined by Bruce Frech.

​​​
​​​​​​
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 07-07-21, 12:32 AM
ivan_yulaev

Bikes: See sig.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
An early 2000s 9 speed Ultegra drivetrain is a different critter than any new-production 9-speed bike.

--Shannon
how so? Asking as I’ve got a 9 speed 105 bike and 9 speed sora, and they both had similar (and compatible!) shifting.
Old 07-07-21, 10:13 AM
70sSanO

Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev
how so? Asking as I’ve got a 9 speed 105 bike and 9 speed sora, and they both had similar (and compatible!) shifting.
Obviously you didn’t read the sub-forum title. It is all about “early” brifters. If it isn’t any early generation it is not as good or should at least be dismissed as OT.

The crazy thing was transplanting the Retro Roadies thread from C&V here. Then you go in see all these post-early brifters on old steel bikes.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 07-08-21, 05:25 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by ivan_yulaev

I've just put on 8 speed 105 brifters on my Allez Pro to replace the Sora brifters I had to replace my 8 speed 600 brifters when they died. No question that the 600s were the smoothest of the lot, but the Sora and the 105 are pretty similar. I don't like the thumb shifters on the Sora.

Mainly, the difference between the old and new is esthetic, and obviously the line between the two is going to be somewhat arbitrary. But I'm not intending to pretend that there's a serious difference in kind.
Old 07-08-21, 08:31 PM
Kimmo 
bike whisperer

Bikes: https://weightweenies.starbike.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=152015&p=1404231

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1523 Post(s)
Liked 716 Times in 508 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
my 8 speed 600 brifters when they died.
I'd be surprised if they're truly cactus - the design is extremely robust and generally only stops working due to gummy grease - there's a link to an overhaul thread in my tag.
Old 07-08-21, 09:13 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Originally Posted by Kimmo
I'd be surprised if they're truly cactus - the design is extremely robust and generally only stops working due to gummy grease - there's a link to an overhaul thread in my tag.

Tried that. I actually wore it out, took many, many miles.