Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Banjo Brothers Minnehaha Series Canvas Waterproof Pannier

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Old 09-14-21, 07:53 PM
Trueblood

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 95 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 29 Posts

Anyone have experience with this bag? Looking for a new commuting pannier and I like the looks of this one. Seems to be pretty much sold out everywhere right now. I found one place that is selling it at a premium, but I think I will wait.

https://banjobrothers.com/products/m...rproof_pannier
Old 09-18-21, 07:08 AM
Sardines

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 48 Posts
Waxed canvas/cotton need to be rewaxed after some time, whereas the thermoplastic polymer type dry bags are tougher layered and will be lower maintenance. Sure the liner keeps everything dry inside. The wax will also show scuffs a little easier. I personally use Green Guru pannier bags, which are made of recycled inner tubes and can handle heavy rain for 30 mins before the water will enter into cracks in the seams once saturation occurs. The backpack is very nice and convertible into a pannier bag.
Old 09-19-21, 07:52 PM
Trueblood

Originally Posted by Sardines
Waxed canvas/cotton need to be rewaxed after some time, whereas the thermoplastic polymer type dry bags are tougher layered and will be lower maintenance. Sure the liner keeps everything dry inside. The wax will also show scuffs a little easier. I personally use Green Guru pannier bags, which are made of recycled inner tubes and can handle heavy rain for 30 mins before the water will enter into cracks in the seams once saturation occurs. The backpack is very nice and convertible into a pannier bag.
Thanks, Yeah, I like the way the Banjo Brothers bag looks. The texture looks like it isn't as heavily waxed as something like a Barbour coat, so not sure about the scuffing. Not planning to do heavy duty touring, just really want to use it for commuting. But I am interested to hear from anyone who has the bag regarding wear, etc.
Old 11-20-21, 04:36 PM
Trueblood

I purchased them - Honey had a code for $24 off for the pair. So far I am very pleased. Although I don't usually ride in bad weather, the waterproof removable lining is a nice feature.

They are not huge panniers, but seem to hold what I need for commuting - tools, spare tube, pump, clothes, etc..

I think they have the right look for C&V bikes.

The waterproof lining is removable and replaceable. It folds over when the pannier is closed.

Were I to have one complaint, it would be that the hooks are non-coated metal, and would probably scratch the rack at the attachment points over time. Easily remedied by wrapping them with electrical tape. Would be nice though if they were vinyl coated.
Old 11-21-21, 04:22 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Dont have only experience with that particular brand, but they look water-resistant not waterproof. Cordura probably. Yes, the internal lining looks to be plastic of some sort which is technically waterproof, I suppose.

Have had similar panniers with a lid like the ones about which you're asking. What I did was make a mixture of clear silicon caulk and white or mineral spirits. Don't use turpentine. Trust me. Half and half. Remove any external or internal hardware. Then coat them liberally inside and out with a 3" China bristle brush. But any quality oil brush will do. 2 on the inside and 3 outside. Allow each coat to dry thoroughly. A full 24 hours. Then when you've completed the coating process reassemble and coat all the hardware 3x as well. This will give you a seamless seal. Yeah, I know. It's a labor intensive process.

Even with all that it's still best to use a kitchen sized plastic trash bag in each pannier as well. Water just has a way of finding it's way in. Especially if you get caught in a downpour. If you're carrying any electronic devices wrap them separately in addition.

Or you can spring for a set of Ortlieb Bikepackers. Which is what I ended up doing finally. Got a set of front bags and used them on the rear. Ortlieb got wind of people doing this for commuting/light utility or weekend treks and rebranded the front bags as 'sport panniers'. Same thing, though. Don't get Roller Classics. They're too fiddley and a pita for utility/commuting/day treks. Bikepackers, though more money are much more user friendly. But, even with Ortliebs I still used a kitchen trash bag in each pannier, too.

But, if you don't commute in bad weather then those you linked will be perfectly fine. But wrap your devices anyway. My background is touring/commuting/utility and trekking, so overkill is my default mode. Probably, no DEFINITELY more than a bit anal when it comes to water in my panniers. Riding 3 straight days in rainy weather will do that to you. Cheers.

Last edited by GhenghisKahn; 11-21-21 at 04:31 PM.
Old 11-21-21, 09:43 PM
Trueblood

Thanks for all that. Yeah, Ortliebs are great, and completely waterproof. I just don't think I need to go that far for a commuting bag. I also think many newer panniers look unattractive on older bikes. The use of additional plastic bags is a good idea though, thanks.

Last edited by Trueblood; 11-21-21 at 09:44 PM. Reason: typo
Old 11-22-21, 11:24 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
That's a nice looking bag!
Old 11-23-21, 02:13 PM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by Trueblood
Thanks for all that..
Yeah, you're welcome for 'all that'. 🙄
Old 12-01-21, 08:02 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by GhenghisKahn
Dont have only experience with that particular brand, but they look water-resistant not waterproof. Cordura probably. Yes, the internal lining looks to be plastic of some sort which is technically waterproof, I suppose.

Have had similar panniers with a lid like the ones about which you're asking. What I did was make a mixture of clear silicon caulk and white or mineral spirits. Don't use turpentine. Trust me. Half and half. Remove any external or internal hardware. Then coat them liberally inside and out with a 3" China bristle brush. But any quality oil brush will do. 2 on the inside and 3 outside. Allow each coat to dry thoroughly. A full 24 hours. Then when you've completed the coating process reassemble and coat all the hardware 3x as well. This will give you a seamless seal. Yeah, I know. It's a labor intensive process.

Even with all that it's still best to use a kitchen sized plastic trash bag in each pannier as well. Water just has a way of finding it's way in. Especially if you get caught in a downpour. If you're carrying any electronic devices wrap them separately in addition.

Or you can spring for a set of Ortlieb Bikepackers. Which is what I ended up doing finally. Got a set of front bags and used them on the rear. Ortlieb got wind of people doing this for commuting/light utility or weekend treks and rebranded the front bags as 'sport panniers'. Same thing, though. Don't get Roller Classics. They're too fiddley and a pita for utility/commuting/day treks. Bikepackers, though more money are much more user friendly. But, even with Ortliebs I still used a kitchen trash bag in each pannier, too.

But, if you don't commute in bad weather then those you linked will be perfectly fine. But wrap your devices anyway. My background is touring/commuting/utility and trekking, so overkill is my default mode. Probably, no DEFINITELY more than a bit anal when it comes to water in my panniers. Riding 3 straight days in rainy weather will do that to you. Cheers.
Thats a waxed canvas I cant speak for the bag but the material is definitional highly water resistant. It doesnt soak threw with water in a rain. now if you drop it in a river that's a different story... but for commuter duty in all seasons it doesn't need any modifications.

Personally I would rather have a roll top on the bag instead of a flap. a flap is kind of a weak spot in the design IMO...
Old 12-11-21, 10:23 AM
Trueblood

Originally Posted by sloppy12
Thats a waxed canvas I cant speak for the bag but the material is definitional highly water resistant. It doesnt soak threw with water in a rain. now if you drop it in a river that's a different story... but for commuter duty in all seasons it doesn't need any modifications.

Personally I would rather have a roll top on the bag instead of a flap. a flap is kind of a weak spot in the design IMO...
Understood. The flap doesn't consist of just the black material though. When the flap is closed, the plastic liner is folded over as well. I think it works well, and again, I don't really commute in bad weather.
Old 12-18-21, 02:53 PM
jgonzales

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride with one of these in socal, so not too much worry about wear from the rain. I love it - looks less sporty than other panniers, and i got an inexpensive canvas strap to hook to it for classes, shopping, and generally taking it off the bike. It's HUGE too, and has a good liner that you can take out if you really need to stuff the bag. Not as high tech as other cycling brands, but for the price, look, and function, its wonderful.
Old 07-16-23, 11:27 AM
chapwillow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is off subject, but please tell me what rack you have on that bike. I am going to get the panniers, but your rack looks slimmer and more minimal than anything I can find, without having them custom made. I dont need a top surface, just a place to hang the panniers. Yours looks perfect.
Old 07-16-23, 06:54 PM
Trueblood

Originally Posted by chapwillow
This is off subject, but please tell me what rack you have on that bike. I am going to get the panniers, but your rack looks slimmer and more minimal than anything I can find, without having them custom made. I dont need a top surface, just a place to hang the panniers. Yours looks perfect.
That would be the Tortec Velocity rear rack, not to be confused with the Tortec Velocity Hybrid rear rack. Difficult to find in the US. I really wanted this rack though. Had to order it from the UK, shipping was pricey, but as you said, it is perfect for the job. Ultimately I ordered three of them.

A silver version on another bike - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html.
And a third - https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...nko-storm.html
Old 07-19-23, 05:41 AM
Germany_chris
I’m a little Surly

Bikes: Two Cross Checks, a Karate Monkey, a Disc Trucker, and a VO Randonneur

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 698 Post(s)
Liked 1,292 Times in 646 Posts
Originally Posted by chapwillow
The Tubus Fly is a lot like that and is not hard find.
Old 07-19-23, 11:32 AM
Trueblood

Originally Posted by Germany_chris
The Tubus Fly is a lot like that and is not hard find.
The Tubus Fly look like a nice rack. It isn't quite as narrow as the Tortec. The Tubus seems somewhat expensive here in the US, well over $100. I do not understand why the Tortec Velocity is not available in the US. It is great for commuting with a road bike.

When I bought them, they cost around 30 pounds sterling. Here is one place in London that says it is $55 - https://www.condorcycles.com/product...29478046138451 Looks like if you spend $60, the shipping is only $5 to the US.
Old 07-23-23, 12:36 AM
chapwillow

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the responses. Both look great, but I am partial to that Tortec Volocity. IT is the design I wanted to try making, but have not been able to find someone to teach me how to weld aluminum. Placing an order now!