Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Should I report this city employee?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Should I report this city employee?

Search this Thread

Old 10-27-21, 04:01 PM
ridelikeaturtle

Bikes: Bianchi Ti Megatube; Colnago Competition; Planet-X EC-130E; Klein Pulse; Amp Research B4; Litespeed Catalyst; Trek Y11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 480 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
Note that no handgun nor kid was involved in this incident, perhaps that is one reason why the previous poster claimed that you were reacting to your own fabricated scenario rather than the scant facts presented in the OP.
I really should not be surprised at the level of disingenuous & bad faith responses on BF. My fault.

See you all in 6 months. I'll get my coat.
Old 10-27-21, 04:03 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
Very common in my area is 44 feet of concrete with no lane markings and parking allowed/not allowed as announced by signs. Parked cars are sparse. Motor vehicles normally line up 2 abreast at stop signs.

This is an ambiguous lane count street. Typically posted 30-35 mph (for comic relief purposes).
Are you saying people in Texas would describe this "ambiguous lane count street" with no lane markings as a "four lane road"? Really?

Or is that like some people describing a one sided report of a honking - nasty language incident (with vague to no information about the actions of the reporting party) as "Buzzing", "hateful people", "Drivers like this are eventually going to kill someone", "could have caused a crash", "bullying and intimidation with a motor vehicle" even though there is no evidence of such offered by the OP, because those hyperbolic descriptions and fabricated scenarios add some drama to the incident and fits the agenda of the people anxious to make a "report" on other people.
Old 10-27-21, 04:37 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 943 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 113 Posts
Originally Posted by flangehead
As a motorist I have to be alert to others passing me on the right when I’m not breaking the speed limit sufficiently for other’s taste.
How fast do people drive on that road? Anything over 45 seems pretty insane. Likewise, anyone undertaking (passing on the right) there is an absolute moron.

Originally Posted by ridelikeaturtle
I really should not be surprised at the level of disingenuous & bad faith responses on BF. My fault.
See you all in 6 months. I'll get my coat.
It's really just a couple of people. No need to leave, as your perspective is one of the most reasonable and objective here.

Are you saying people in Texas would describe this "ambiguous lane count street" with no lane markings as a "four lane road"? Really?
How would you describe it?
Old 10-27-21, 04:42 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
How fast do people drive on that road? Anything over 45 seems pretty insane. Likewise, anyone undertaking (passing on the right) there is an absolute moron.

It's really just a couple of people. No need to leave, as your perspective is one of the most reasonable and objective here.

How would you describe it?
A city street with a curb lane that is often used for legal street side parking; a four lane street with legal street side parking would have approximately 22 feet more in width.
Old 10-27-21, 05:33 PM
Gravel Rider

Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 63 Posts
Well, its been a week. Is there an APB out on the suspect?
Old 10-27-21, 05:44 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Gravel Rider
Or the OP being found to clear up his report for inquiring minds.
Old 10-27-21, 07:46 PM
flangehead

Bikes: 2017 Co-op ADV 1.1; ~1991 Novara Arriba; 1990 Fuji Palisade; mid-90's Moots Tandem; 1985 Performance Superbe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 572 Times in 332 Posts
I only speak for myself and I’m not saying this is a four-lane street. I was talking to a City of Houston engineer about a similar street and I didn’t get the sense that they know how to describe it. (The concrete of 44 feet, 4 x 11 lanes no parking in a 60 ft ROW is commonly used for 40 mph posted arterial.)

They used same concrete for neighborhood streets, Paint and signs have some effect, but the concrete whispers “drive fast and pass anything slowing you down”. A lot of these streets now have speed bumps.
Old 10-28-21, 01:45 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by Gravel Rider
For some reason I think the OP has had second thoughts about initiating a "report" about the "suspect".
See Central Park Karen
This possible reason for hesitancy was brought to my attention by watching a couple of late night comedian monologues on Wednesday night.
The videos are on YouTube but because the entire monologues have much P&R content I suggest only the relevant time sequence for anyone who wishes to watch some humorous takes on so-called "Karen" type over reactions to alleged threats, rudeness and slights.

Note substitute youtube for yt in the referenced URLs
Stephan Colbert monologue https://www.yt.com/watch?v=VpbqSsHT5Fc
2021-10-26 7:50 - 8:30

Jimmy Kimmel monologue https://www.yt.com/watch?v=zjLEGMxvJL0&t=656s
2021-10-26 5:30 - 6:50 where he suggests that the male version of a "Karen" type could be nicknamed after a well known news commentator.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-28-21 at 01:53 PM.
Old 10-28-21, 01:50 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Report him if you want for cussing you out and being technically wrong but you are being antagonistic with your lane choice and what happens when he sees you again after he gets called on the carpet?
Snitches get stitches!
Old 10-29-21, 02:42 PM
robertorolfo

Bikes: 82 Lotus Unique, 86 Lotus Legend, 88 Basso Loto, 88 Basso PR, 89 Basso PR, 96 Bianchi CDI, 2013 Deda Aegis, 2019 Basso Diamante SV

A city street with a curb lane that is often used for legal street side parking; a four lane street with legal street side parking would have approximately 22 feet more in width.
Um, what? First, off, that isn't a city street. Not even close. Second, I've never heard the expression "cub lane," so that's not helping, and in general your description is a fairly useless mouthful.

If anything is parked in a lane, that lane isn't suitable for traffic, so the road above would be a 2-lane road (one in either direction).

For some reason I think the OP has had second thoughts about initiating a "report" about the "suspect".
See Central Park Karen
That comparison pretty much says all we need to know about your mindset. If you think the two things are in any way comparable, there is really little hope in getting through to you.

(Also, for those that aren't up on their local NYC goings on, it has since been fairly well established that the guy who made that video is a jerk that enjoys causing trouble and provoking people. The sentiment now seems to be one of sympathy for the woman in the video, who seems to have some issues she needs to deal with.)

Originally Posted by Riveting
Snitches get stitches!
This one silly expression, which reveals a mentality as ignorant as it is overly simplistic, has probably done immeasurably more harm than it could ever have done good.
Old 10-29-21, 03:38 PM
truthseeker14

Bikes: Soma Double Cross DC, Bridgestone T-700 (1985)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 46 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 15 Posts
OP, what did all the BF posters' advice/drama produce? Did you report this "vile" incident? Any feedback?
I reported it via the City's web site, but I found out later that it was only for complaints regarding police officers.
Old 10-29-21, 06:46 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Originally Posted by truthseeker14
I reported it via the City's web site, but I found out later that it was only for complaints regarding police officers.
If you know the specific department that vehicle belongs, I'm sure you can write an e-mail directly to that department.

In Toronto, the city has a 311 service in which you can write anything related to city problems.
Or if you know your elected city representative, you can write your complaint to him or her. He/she has an incentive to resolve your issue to your satisfaction.

Last edited by Daniel4; 10-29-21 at 06:51 PM.
Old 10-29-21, 07:22 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Originally Posted by robertorolfo
Um, what? First, off, that isn't a city street. Not even close. Second, I've never heard the expression "cub lane," so that's not helping, and in general your description is a fairly useless mouthful.

If anything is parked in a lane, that lane isn't suitable for traffic, so the road above would be a 2-lane road (one in either direction).

That comparison pretty much says all we need to know about your mindset. If you think the two things are in any way comparable, there is really little hope in getting through to you.

(Also, for those that aren't up on their local NYC goings on, it has since been fairly well established that the guy who made that video is a jerk that enjoys causing trouble and provoking people. The sentiment now seems to be one of sympathy for the woman in the video, who seems to have some issues she needs to deal with.)

This one silly expression, which reveals a mentality as ignorant as it is overly simplistic, has probably done immeasurably more harm than it could ever have done good.
OK, call it a road. I agree it is NOT 4 lanes. As far as curb lane, read the OP. A 4 lane road would have 2 lanes available for traffic each way. There is no reason for anyone to ride in the left lane of a 4 lane road in order to stay out of the door zone of legally parked cars in the curb lane on a 4 lane road/street.

What video and sympathetic "Karen in Central Park" are you talking about? Are you seriously referring to the dingbat who called 911 to make false claims about the birdwatcher and that she is a some sort of victim? No wonder you make the posts about "mindsets" that you do.

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 10-29-21 at 07:31 PM.
Old 10-31-21, 07:31 PM
truthseeker14

OK, call it a road. I agree it is NOT 4 lanes. As far as curb lane, read the OP. A 4 lane road would have 2 lanes available for traffic each way. There is no reason for anyone to ride in the left lane of a 4 lane road in order to stay out of the door zone of legally parked cars in the curb lane on a 4 lane road/street.
OP here. I do get into the right lane whenever I can and get in to and out of the left lane as necessary. I'd say i hug the curb too much and rarely take up the whole lane. Actually this stretch of the street was subject of a traffic calming road diet that purposefully allows parking on the curb lane in order to go from two lanes to one lane of traffic. Before the diet, there were two lanes of traffic for the rush hour side (no parking allowed on the curb lane). When the guy started honking, there were cars parked directly to my right on the curb lane.
Old 11-01-21, 08:37 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

OP here. I do get into the right lane whenever I can and get in to and out of the left lane as necessary. I'd say i hug the curb too much and rarely take up the whole lane. Actually this stretch of the street was subject of a traffic calming road diet that purposefully allows parking on the curb lane in order to go from two lanes to one lane of traffic. Before the diet, there were two lanes of traffic for the rush hour side (no parking allowed on the curb lane). When the guy started honking, there were cars parked directly to my right on the curb lane.
Thanks for clarifying.

Would it be accurate to describe the street at the point of the incident as two lanes each way, consisting of one curb (right) lane where vehicles were parked and one traffic (left) lane which is the only lane at that location where vehicles (bicycles or motor vehicles) can legally travel?

Last edited by I-Like-To-Bike; 11-01-21 at 09:56 AM.
Old 11-01-21, 12:19 PM
truthseeker14

Thanks for clarifying.

Would it be accurate to describe the street at the point of the incident as two lanes each way, consisting of one curb (right) lane where vehicles were parked and one traffic (left) lane which is the only lane at that location where vehicles (bicycles or motor vehicles) can legally travel?
Good question. I'm not sure how it would be legally characterized (2 lane or 4 lane), but parking is allowed on both of the curb lanes where the incident occurred. If no cars are parked on the curb lane, then a car may travel in that lane. And whether it's legally described as a 2 lane or 4 lane road is not just an academic question. In my state, (Ohio), for four lane roads, opposite direction traffic does not have to stop for a stopped school bus with it's red flashing lights. (Same direction traffic has to stop of course.) So if parking is allowed on both curb lanes for a four lane road, does opposite direction traffic have to stop? The last time I looked, this is not addressed in our state's driver's handbook.
Old 11-03-21, 07:18 PM
jconti13

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse Carbon Disc Ultegra Di2

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
I was in the left lane of a four lane road (2 lanes each way). Traffic wasn't very heavy. There were cars parked on the curb lane. A driver of a city government vehicle, came up behind me and started honking his horn. He passed me and then he started gesturing me towards the sidewalk. I caught up with him a couple lights later, and he shouted, "F*** you! get on the sidewalk". I got his license plate number and am debating whether to call the city about this city employee. I'm pretty sure he was the same driver that buzzed me earlier on my ride. Report or not?
Definitely report.
Old 11-08-21, 12:29 PM
truthseeker14

Update. Well I reported it. I couldn't figure out what department to send it to, so I sent it to a Cincinnati councilman who has been an advocate for traffic safety where the incident had occurred. He got back to me and expressed his regret that this happened and said he would pass this on to the right group.

Not sure if I'll find out if there will be any consequences for the driver, but if I do, i'll update this thread. Thanks everybody for the spirited thread.

Last edited by truthseeker14; 11-08-21 at 03:01 PM.
Likes For truthseeker14:
Old 11-08-21, 05:21 PM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
Good luck.
Old 12-16-21, 05:26 PM
robertorolfo

What video and sympathetic "Karen in Central Park" are you talking about? Are you seriously referring to the dingbat who called 911 to make false claims about the birdwatcher and that she is a some sort of victim? No wonder you make the posts about "mindsets" that you do.
Sorry for the late reply, but you aren't in NY and don't seem to be apprised of more recent developments in this story. It has since come out that the guy who filmed the video is well known to the local community, and not well liked. He has a history of provoking people and creating incidents for attention. It has also come to light that the woman in the video has some personal issues. So this was mere a case of a trouble maker pulling his stunt on someone that was particularly vulnerable and volatile.
Old 12-20-21, 08:53 AM
sloppy12

Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Update. Well I reported it. I couldn't figure out what department to send it to, so I sent it to a Cincinnati councilman who has been an advocate for traffic safety where the incident had occurred. He got back to me and expressed his regret that this happened and said he would pass this on to the right group.

Not sure if I'll find out if there will be any consequences for the driver, but if I do, i'll update this thread. Thanks everybody for the spirited thread.
I was going to suggest city council or mayors office. they will be the most likely to take your concerns seriously. They may even follow up with you.
Old 12-22-21, 05:15 AM
GhenghisKahn
OwainGyndwr

Bikes: 90 Fisher 3x7 hardtail, 2016 Reid 1x7 commuter, 2017 Viva 46x18 fixed gear, 93 2x8 Avanti Kona

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 43 Posts
Q: Should I report this city employee?

A: Definitely.