Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

QR vs thru-axle, and rigid carbon fork 2022

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

QR vs thru-axle, and rigid carbon fork 2022

Old 01-18-22, 09:44 AM
sloppy12

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 166 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 147 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
He claimed it happened on a gravel ride.

I've got over 10k miles on a gravel bike with QRs and disc brakes, and that includes plenty of gravel riding - including some famously gnarly and steep races - and have never had a problem. 'Course, I am using XT skewers and, umm, I know how to use them.
Yeah but the mech engineer said. lol
Likes For sloppy12:
Old 01-18-22, 01:18 PM
prj71

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 2974 Post(s)
Liked 1,178 Times in 769 Posts
He claimed it happened on a gravel ride.

I've got over 10k miles on a gravel bike with QRs and disc brakes, and that includes plenty of gravel riding - including some famously gnarly and steep races - and have never had a problem. 'Course, I am using XT skewers and, umm, I know how to use them.
Good for you. Just because it hasn't happened to you doesn't mean it can't happen.

I know how to use them also. They aren't that difficult.
Old 01-18-22, 01:36 PM
Ryan_M

Bikes: Some

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 179 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 69 Posts
Originally Posted by prj
A front disc brake caliper behind the fork blade generates a powerful force tending to loosen a quick release and pull the wheel out of the fork. A special hub, and a fork with a hole rather than a slot for the axle, are needed to surmount this problem.
I agree with this. One of my bikes has QR and disc. With the stock MT200 brakes it was fine. Once I upgraded to M6000 brakes, baking hard would cause the front wheel to shift in the left dropout. This was with (presumably) ****ty OEM skewers and once I switched to skewers that tighten with an allen key it aleiviated the problem. With that and QR being phased out on better bikes I wouldn't but a new bike with that configuration. I've already learned it significantly reduces aftermarket wheel options which will only get worse in the future.
Old 01-18-22, 01:38 PM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6934 Post(s)
Liked 10,940 Times in 4,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Ryan_M
I agree with this. One of my bikes has QR and disc. With the stock MT200 brakes it was fine. Once I upgraded to M6000 brakes, baking hard would cause the front wheel to shift in the left dropout. This was with (presumably) ****ty OEM skewers and once I switched to skewers that tighten with an allen key it aleiviated the problem. With that and QR being phased out on better bikes I wouldn't but a new bike with that configuration. I've already learned it significantly reduces aftermarket wheel options which will only get worse in the future.
Yup. For about $30 the problem is solvable.
Old 01-19-22, 10:39 AM
prj71

Yup. For about $30 the problem is solvable.
At least you now admit that it's a problem.

Thru Axles for the Win!!!
Old 01-19-22, 11:38 AM
Koyote

Originally Posted by prj71
At least you now admit that it's a problem.

Thru Axles for the Win!!!
Not much of a problem, really. I thought most reasonably serious cyclists know better than to run external cam quick releases.
Old 01-19-22, 04:52 PM
prj71

In any case...QR will be a thing of the past except for department store bikes and entry level bikes.

Here is a page of Domane's. Exactly one bike (entry level) with QR and it has rim brakes. Rest are thru axle and disc.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/b...nce&show=Page#

Last edited by prj71; 01-19-22 at 04:56 PM.
Old 01-19-22, 04:58 PM
Koyote

In any case...QR will be a thing of the past except for department store bikes and entry level bikes.
On this, we agree! And I think that is a shame… Even around here, with lots of very steep hills, rim brakes are fine on a road bike, and - in some respects - are simpler and cheaper than discs.
Likes For Koyote:
Old 01-20-22, 07:25 AM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Bikes: Soma Fog Cutter, Surly Wednesday, Canfielld Tilt

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2761 Post(s)
Liked 2,534 Times in 1,433 Posts
Part of the safety benefit of a TA is that they are 99.9% fool proof.

QR is only 99% fool proof.

If you are in the top 1% of fools, then the difference matters.

Last edited by Kapusta; 01-20-22 at 09:11 AM.
Likes For Kapusta:
Old 01-20-22, 08:47 AM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
When I need to stuff a bike into the hatchback I take the bike with QR and rim brakes.
No tools required and quick and easy especially when done multiple times during the day......
Old 01-20-22, 10:02 AM
prj71

Originally Posted by Speedway2
When I need to stuff a bike into the hatchback I take the bike with QR and rim brakes.
No tools required and quick and easy especially when done multiple times during the day......
So you have multiple flats during a day?

The Trek Domane comes equipped with a lever that stays in the axle. No extra tools required to be carried.

Old 01-20-22, 02:54 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts

The Trek Domane comes equipped with a lever that stays in the axle. No extra tools required to be carried.
Not flats but getting a bike into many cars or small SUVs requires removing the front wheel so the convenience of a qr is appreciated. Thru axles require specific fork holders for mounting on roof racks and some in-car and rear rack mounts but they are available.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 01-20-22, 07:07 PM
Speedway2

Bikes: United Motocross BMX, Specialized Langster, Giant OCR, Marin Muirwoods, Globe Roll2, VROD:)

Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 404 Times in 245 Posts
No....but I drive to different cycling locations in the same day sometimes.
Old 01-20-22, 09:42 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by HillRider
Not flats but getting a bike into many cars or small SUVs requires removing the front wheel so the convenience of a qr is appreciated.
Many TAs are tool free and just as fast as QR.

Thru axles require specific fork holders for mounting on roof racks and some in-car and rear rack mounts but they are available.
There is nothing more specific about TA racks compared to QR racks. A QR fork needs a QR rack and a TA fork needs a TA rack.

Not trying to question your preferences (personally, I am fine either way for road and gravel bikes), just wanted to point that out.
Old 01-21-22, 02:51 PM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,095 Times in 741 Posts
Originally Posted by Kapusta
Many TAs are tool free and just as fast as QR.

There is nothing more specific about TA racks compared to QR racks. A QR fork needs a QR rack and a TA fork needs a TA rack.

Not trying to question your preferences (personally, I am fine either way for road and gravel bikes), just wanted to point that out.
Yep, I know that but for someone new to thru axles, there may be other changes in the way they do things, like transport the bike on their car rack, and they should be aware of them. Actually I do prefer thru axles, particularly on a bike with disc brakes. The TAs on my Surly Midnight Special require a 5 mm allen key to remove and replace but that's not much of a burden and I will need a different fork holder when/if I want to carry it in my car.
Old 01-21-22, 02:55 PM
Kapusta
Advanced Slacker

Originally Posted by HillRider
Yep, I know that but for someone new to thru axles, there may be other changes in the way they do things, like transport the bike on their car rack, and they should be aware of them. Actually I do prefer thru axles, particularly on a bike with disc brakes. The TAs on my Surly Midnight Special require a 5 mm allen key to remove and replace but that's not much of a burden and I will need a different fork holder when/if I want to carry it in my car.
Yeah, my Surly is the TA I have that does require a tool.