Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Bicycle decals approval.

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Bicycle decals approval.

Old 08-25-21, 02:13 PM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts
Bicycle decals approval.

I have never done this sort of purely cosmetic repair before but when I picked up a stark naked ALAN Record bike I thought I would give it a try.
I went on eBay and found a set of decals that closely match the ones my frame probably came with back in the 1980s and sent off $15.50 to somewhere in Serbia.
They arrived yesterday and I wiped the bike down with a clean dry cloth and put them on.
I think they look pretty good.

Bink

Old 08-25-21, 04:03 PM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
Thanks for the review, as I was actually thinking of ordering some decals from Bicals for a Koga-Miyata. Those are dedidedly more expensive, though, which has kept me from ordering so far.

Likes For non-fixie:
Old 08-25-21, 04:47 PM
oneclick 

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1105 Post(s)
Liked 1,311 Times in 775 Posts
Looks nice.

I find the trickiest bit is getting bands on straight so they meet properly.
Old 08-25-21, 05:17 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
They look the part. Cool
Old 08-25-21, 06:11 PM
Cibi42

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
were they water slide decals or vinyl? either way they look good!

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-10-22 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-25-21, 06:34 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by Cibi42
were they water slide decals or vinyl? either way they look good!

Silk screened by BICALS on PVC vinyls which are thin and UV resistant.

Peal off the white back paper... Press in position... And pull off the front clear plastic.

Make sure to get the decal flat and in the right position the first time because the decals are VERY sticky and there are no second chances !

Bink

Last edited by cb400bill; 09-10-22 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-25-21, 06:48 PM
Cibi42

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by Binky

Peal off the white back paper... Press in position... And pull off the front clear plastic.

Make sure to get the decal flat and in the right position the first time because the decals are VERY sticky and there are no second chances !

Bink
sounds good, thanks
Old 08-26-21, 02:40 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1103 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Top notch job in my book.
Old 08-26-21, 06:46 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by non-fixie
Thanks for the review, as I was actually thinking of ordering some decals from Bicals for a Koga-Miyata. Those are dedidedly more expensive, though, which has kept me from ordering so far.

You are welcome and I thank you, thank you, thank you -- for including that link to the 2019 L'Eroica video. I really enjoyed that.

At $15.50, (which included fast delivery from Serbia to Canada), those ALAN decals I ordered were the cheapest full set - maybe because they were mostly just black letters on a clear background.
Some of the other sets were more elaborate, colourful, and pretty pricey but considering the amount of effort it would take to achieve the results any other way, maybe still well worth a few hours pay.
Precious and unique, "Made of unobtainium".
Bink
Old 08-26-21, 11:40 AM
non-fixie 
Shifting is fun!

Bikes: Yes, please.

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Quoted: 2182 Post(s)
Liked 4,526 Times in 1,743 Posts
You are welcome and I thank you, thank you, thank you -- for including that link to the 2019 L'Eroica video. I really enjoyed that.

At $15.50, (which included fast delivery from Serbia to Canada), those ALAN decals I ordered were the cheapest full set - maybe because they were mostly just black letters on a clear background.
Some of the other sets were more elaborate, colourful, and pretty pricey but considering the amount of effort it would take to achieve the results any other way, maybe still well worth a few hours pay.
Precious and unique, "Made of unobtainium".
Bink
The Koga-Miyata decals I would like are closer to $50, which I'll be happy to pay (can't make them myself for that) if mrs non-fixie likes the bike. But they will almost double the cost of the bike ...

WRT the L'Eroica video: I am gearing up for this year's event (Covid permitting), and I came across this video. I think it is a great piece of work. It manages to actually capture the experience pretty accurately (I have been there a few times, and walked my bit ) while still being very slick, too.

Old 08-26-21, 12:26 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by non-fixie
The Koga-Miyata decals I would like are closer to $50, which I'll be happy to pay (can't make them myself for that) if mrs non-fixie likes the bike. But they will almost double the cost of the bike ...
I get it: I traded an old too-big-for-me Canadian-made Raleigh Grand Prix for this ALAN bike ---
and then spending another $15.50 US for these nifty decals pretty nearly doubled the cost of the ALAN bike.
I think that its wonderful that someone is still making this exotic stuff available for us at a reasonable price.
Treat yourself ( and Mrs. Non-Fixie)!

Bink

Likes For Binky:
Old 08-26-21, 01:19 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts

Bink
Make sure to get the decal flat and in the right position the first time because the decals are VERY sticky and there are no second chances ! For what it is worth, wet the area where the sticker is to be position with a solution of dish soap and water. Three or four drops of soap for a couple of cups of water (best applied with a spray bottle) Done with care and properly does offer a second chance - sometimes. I did manage to slide these vinyl stickers around a wee bit...
Old 09-09-22, 12:03 AM
revrwhite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
frame decals

i am restoring a 1959 Raleigh Canadian, no luck in finding frame decals. any thoughts out there?
Old 09-09-22, 06:25 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
....Make sure to get the decal flat and in the right position the first time because the decals are VERY sticky and there are no second chances !

Bink
I always use blue painters tape everywhere I can to help me guide the edge of the decal down straight along or across the tube and sometime two strips to get it perfectly centered on the tube like you nicely done Prodotti Speciali.
Likes For easyupbug:
Old 09-09-22, 07:03 AM
repechage

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 3449 Post(s)
Liked 2,800 Times in 1,974 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Make sure to get the decal flat and in the right position the first time because the decals are VERY sticky and there are no second chances ! For what it is worth, wet the area where the sticker is to be position with a solution of dish soap and water. Three or four drops of soap for a couple of cups of water (best applied with a spray bottle) Done with care and properly does offer a second chance - sometimes. I did manage to slide these vinyl stickers around a wee bit...
ivory snow - that is soap, not detergent I was advised by a friend who ran a vinyl graphics business. Then the divorce... so sad.
Old 09-09-22, 08:18 AM
revrwhite

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by revrwhite
i am restoring a 1959 Raleigh Canadian, no luck in finding frame decals. any thoughts out there?
I don't have the decals... the frame needs to be repainted, so I want to find new decals for it. It's a 1959 Raleigh Canadian. Where or how can I get new decals for it?
Old 09-09-22, 09:02 AM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1370 Post(s)
Liked 1,743 Times in 934 Posts
ivory snow - that is soap, not detergent I was advised by a friend who ran a vinyl graphics business. Then the divorce... so sad.
Not sure where I got the information but I did find out and now use Breeze dish soap to assist with sticker application.
Old 09-09-22, 09:13 AM
Kabuki12

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 863 Post(s)
Liked 2,226 Times in 1,249 Posts
Originally Posted by randyjawa
Not sure where I got the information but I did find out and now use Breeze dish soap to assist with sticker application.
I had a guy put stripes on my Mini Cooper about twenty years ago and he placed magnets on the car for positioning and then sprayed deionized water with hair conditioner (one drop in the container) and slid the decals in position and finally used a plastic card to get the bubbles out. It came out freaking perfect . The "float " approach is best for centering and positioning.
Old 09-09-22, 10:25 AM
VtwinVince

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 142 Posts
I ordered some decals for my Somec from this guy, and the quality was excellent.
Old 09-09-22, 10:36 AM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1384 Post(s)
Liked 1,294 Times in 819 Posts
I did get some Capo reproduction decals from a guy in Austria. They look pretty good.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-10-22, 02:08 PM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 560 Post(s)
Liked 546 Times in 396 Posts
That's Greg Softley in Australia, Cyclemondo. I can get excellent quality from him nearly as fast as I can from Velocals.
Likes For easyupbug: