Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Does anyone have trail experience with Giant Roam 2?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-10-20, 10:28 PM
paulriccio

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

I was interested in doing some light/moderate trails with the Roam 2 but I get so many mixed opinions. Anyone walk the walk?

I want a workout, I am not looking to do steep downhill or jump anything.
Old 04-11-20, 07:35 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 761 Times in 569 Posts
Roam is fine on light-to-moderate trails. Any more, and I'd be looking at a more dedicated mountain bike. If light-to-moderate trails are ALL you plan to do, then I'd definitely look at more of a mountain bike style bike, like a Giant Talon.

I'd only buy the Roam if you're doing mostly comfort/gravel/rail trail type biking, and want to mix in a little bit of single track or fire road type stuff. Otherwise, if that's most of what you'll be doing, I'd look at an entry level mountain bike.
Old 04-11-20, 07:41 PM
xroadcharlie

Bikes: 2018 Giant Sedona

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 183 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 95 Posts
I think the Roam is fine for light to moderate trails too. That said, If most of your riding is going to be trail, Then I would recommend Giant's Talon hardtail mountain bike. It will be slower on the road, But if your only spending 25% of your time there, It will more then make up for that on the moderate trails. Should you decide to do more road biking with it, You can swap out the fat knobby tires (which suck up a lot of power) for a pair of narrower semi slick tires and get close to the speeds of the Roam.

You might also look into Giant's Sedona DX. With it's suspension fork and 2.3" wide tires it too is quite capable on trails as well as being comfy on pavement with it's bolt upright rider position and suspension seat post. It's not as quick as the Roam though on pavement. If you want a workout, Get the Talon or Sedona DX.

I just got back from a ride on my 2018 Sedona and don't mind telling you fighting some wind on this bike is a workout. But with 21 speeds on tap, 12 of which are properly spaced from 30 - 90 gear inches plus a 21 gear inch bailout gear there is a cog set available for any situation.

Last edited by xroadcharlie; 04-12-20 at 01:26 AM.
Likes For xroadcharlie:
Old 04-15-20, 10:06 AM
TexN

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'd only buy the Roam if you're doing mostly comfort/gravel/rail trail type biking, and want to mix in a little bit of single track or fire road type stuff

I have a Roam 2 also. This is exactly the kind of riding i do.. I'm looking for an "easy" 100 mile ride somewhere around Arkansas, Louisiana, Mississippi, as flat as possible. Any suggestions?