Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Strange Quill Removal Question

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-21, 05:58 AM
Binky

Bikes: Too, too many....

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 130 Times in 57 Posts

I have a Strange Quill Removal Question.

By quill I mean the handlebar stem. Please look at the picture.

I have an older bike (1986) that has been retrofitted with a Tranz X "Zanzi" stem installed on a sleeved adapter.

I expected to see a bolt head of some sort on TOP of the adapter that would allow the adapter to be removed, but the cover plate on top of the adapter shows just a smooth, blank surface.

How does this come apart ? All advice or suggestions appreciated.

Binky
Old 10-21-21, 06:10 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
The "sleeved adapter" is almost certainly a simple shim. At least, that's been the case for every such stem I've come across (i.e., every stem that relies on the use of a shim to adapt to a smaller-diameter steerer tube). Loosen the stem's steerer binder bolt: the stem (and shim) should then be removable.

Edit: if you're instead asking about the whole threaded-to-threadless adapter and how to remove it from the steerer tube, looks like the flat blue disk should be pried upward and removed to allow access to the expander bolt that secures the threadless adapter inside the steerer tube.

Last edited by Trakhak; 10-21-21 at 06:16 AM.
Old 10-21-21, 06:58 AM
Binky

Originally Posted by Trakhak
The "sleeved adapter" is almost certainly a simple shim. At least, that's been the case for every such stem I've come across (i.e., every stem that relies on the use of a shim to adapt to a smaller-diameter steerer tube). Loosen the stem's steerer binder bolt: the stem (and shim) should then be removable.

Edit: if you're instead asking about the whole threaded-to-threadless adapter and how to remove it from the steerer tube, looks like the flat blue disk should be pried upward and removed to allow access to the expander bolt that secures the threadless adapter inside the steerer tube.
It is the threaded-to-threadless adapter that I want to remove.
Thanks for the reply. It is exactly as you said.
I was reluctant to try to pry on or peel back he domed blue disk because I could tell from close examination of what I could see of it that it was made of ALUMINUM but I got the point of an Exacto knife blade along the edge of it and it raised just enough to get a tiny screwdriver into...

The plug is a unit made of TWO separate pieces, basically an ALUMINUM expander with a blue enamel coating inserted into a black ribbed RUBBER seal. (See picture).
It came out nicely.
I was just concerned about damaging the aluminum since I dodn't know how it was secured.... and knew that good advice was as close as this scathingly brilliant forum.

Thanks again.

Bink

Old 10-21-21, 07:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 800 Times in 475 Posts
That is a clamping wedge style stem and there should be a bolt in that round hole behind the Z that loosens the clamp. That black thing is probably a cover over a socket head cap screw.

Last edited by dsaul; 10-21-21 at 07:13 AM.
Old 10-21-21, 07:36 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4199 Post(s)
Liked 3,851 Times in 2,301 Posts
And the stem/steerer extension bolt's wedge (circled above) might be stuck tight. The bolt would loosen but the wedge it bares against could stay put. A small shock (tap with well directed hammer and punch) might be needed to break loose the wedge. Just like common quill type stems need with their wedges. Andy
Old 10-21-21, 12:01 PM
Binky

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And the stem/steerer extension bolt's wedge (circled above) might be stuck tight. The bolt would loosen but the wedge it bares against could stay put. A small shock (tap with well directed hammer and punch) might be needed to break loose the wedge. Just like common quill type stems need with their wedges. Andy

Andrew:
Thanks for the suggestion.
I didn't bother taking the extension apart because the whole setup -- stem, extension, bars, cables, and shifters -- was removed as a unit.
It all worked well enough but it was just all wrong for the old bike.

Someone had removed most of the original bits and used mountain bike / hybrid parts to modify the bars on this 1986 bike before I got it and I wanted to remove them and replace them with a proper road bike stem and drop bars.

Its raining out today so... alloy stem, alloy drop bars, new cables, new cable housings, new tape and old brifters.

Bonus: the bike came with a Campagnolo GS crank set with 3 Campagnolo chain rings (37, 42, 52) and the derailleurs and shifters were replaced with brand new Shimano Deore XT stuff.

I just took it out for a short run in the rain and it all feels good.

Bink

Likes For Binky: