Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rust on fork threads

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rust on fork threads

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-22, 01:37 AM
Anfieldtramp

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Rust on fork threads

Hi all,

I recently purchased a frame and fork from Cinelli; the model is the supercorsa. Due to restrictions I haven’t had the time to build it up yet, and it’s been hanging on my wall the last few months.

So I’m taking to it be assembled next week after sourcing all the parts, when I notice this on the fork threads.

fyi, I live in a very humid country near the equator, so perhaps I shouldn’t be surprised. How serious is the rusting, and what options do I have to remove it? The inside of the fork has already been rust-proofed with a rust inhibitor, but I never thought rust would form so quickly on the threads of the fork.
Old 05-03-22, 02:37 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Use a wire brush to clean some of the rust off and then put grease on the treads and the fork tube.
Likes For wolfchild:
Old 05-03-22, 07:39 AM
fmradio516

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
^ What he said.. I wouldnt lose sleep over it.
Likes For fmradio516:
Old 05-03-22, 07:47 AM
55murray

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 207 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 58 Posts
That is a very common area to rust some, even on a very well cared for bike. That is extremely minor rust in the pics.
Likes For 55murray:
Old 05-03-22, 08:02 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
Originally Posted by Anfieldtramp
How serious is the rusting, and what options do I have to remove it?
Bare metal rusts. Spray some wd40 on a towel and twist the steerer tube around inside the towel for a few seconds and that will remove the superficial rust you are concerned about.
When you build up the bike, add a very minor bit of grease to the threads. You really can just place the grease at the top of the steerer tube since as you thread the headset on, it will move grease down the threaded steerer. A very small amount is all you need to ensure the threads remain in good condition for the next time you unthread the fork.
Likes For mstateglfr:
Old 05-04-22, 11:39 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,832 Times in 2,229 Posts
....or a little more grease than 'a very minor bit...'
Old 05-04-22, 03:08 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,808 Times in 3,316 Posts
IMO, Surface rust is usually just a cosmetic issue and a very minor annoyance when undoing screws it causing your chain to bind. Just clean it off with a soft wire brush and keep a little lube, grease or oil on it to help keep it from rusting more.

If aesthetically it bothers you, there are other methods to deal with it and keep it from coming back. But in areas of salt air and high humidity, that might be a thing you have to stay on top of.

When rust gets to the point that the metal beneath it is getting pitted, then that is an actual problem, IMO.
Old 05-04-22, 04:42 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
I don’t think aesthetics are going to be an issue once it’s installed.
Old 05-04-22, 05:12 PM
tkamd73 

Bikes: 1984 Schwinn Supersport, 1988 Trek 400T, 1977 Trek TX900, 1982 Bianchi Champione del Mondo, 1978 Raleigh Supercourse, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 1991 Waterford PDG OS Paramount, 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer, 1985 Trek 670

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 604 Post(s)
Liked 1,063 Times in 535 Posts
If you want it to look nice, tooth brush and a small amount of silver anti-seize works well.
Tim
Old 05-04-22, 06:28 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2746 Post(s)
Liked 3,390 Times in 2,053 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
If you want it to look nice, tooth brush and a small amount of silver anti-seize works well.
Tim
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-04-22, 07:08 PM
Jeff Neese

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1083 Post(s)
Liked 686 Times in 440 Posts
Very minor rust. A small wire brush or even a toothbrush, and some Bar Keepers Friend which is a terrific rust remover for this kind of light rust.
Old 05-04-22, 07:19 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18411 Post(s)
Liked 15,531 Times in 7,327 Posts
Originally Posted by tkamd73
Tim
How often do you look at a man’s threads?
Likes For indyfabz:
Old 05-04-22, 09:55 PM
couldwheels
Banned.

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 17 Posts
This would be the first thread I ever saw about rust on forks.
Old 05-05-22, 03:41 AM
Anfieldtramp

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Jeff Neese
Very minor rust. A small wire brush or even a toothbrush, and some Bar Keepers Friend which is a terrific rust remover for this kind of light rust.
i tried a toothbrush wrapped in aluminium foil after spraying some WD40, worked great!

Originally Posted by Iride01
IMO, Surface rust is usually just a cosmetic issue and a very minor annoyance when undoing screws it causing your chain to bind. Just clean it off with a soft wire brush and keep a little lube, grease or oil on it to help keep it from rusting more.

If aesthetically it bothers you, there are other methods to deal with it and keep it from coming back. But in areas of salt air and high humidity, that might be a thing you have to stay on top of.

When rust gets to the point that the metal beneath it is getting pitted, then that is an actual problem, IMO.
Yea I think at this point I’m probably worrying too much about it, thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Bare metal rusts. Spray some wd40 on a towel and twist the steerer tube around inside the towel for a few seconds and that will remove the superficial rust you are concerned about.
When you build up the bike, add a very minor bit of grease to the threads. You really can just place the grease at the top of the steerer tube since as you thread the headset on, it will move grease down the threaded steerer. A very small amount is all you need to ensure the threads remain in good condition for the next time you unthread the fork.
i think the issue was probably that I had left the frame unbuilt for a few month, and hence no grease was applied to that area of the fork.

Originally Posted by 55murray
That is a very common area to rust some, even on a very well cared for bike. That is extremely minor rust in the pics.
thanks for the advice!
Originally Posted by fmradio516
^ What he said.. I wouldnt lose sleep over it.
Yesh looking back I was probably worrying for nothing. Thanks though!