Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another "I wish they'd make" concept

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 05-11-22, 09:47 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 615 Times in 394 Posts

Recently I was following a thread and there was a picture of a side-pull caliper, perhaps Grand Compe, I cannot remember; but the finger-grip O-ring on the adjusting barrel was brown, not like black on Campy, etc. Hmm, I wonder if there would be a market for these in colors to accent the bike and perhaps match handlebar tape, cable housing, etc. Gum? Red, yellow, blue? Whatever? Celeste? Sounds like a frivolous thing, but I wonder if production costs might be low enough that there would be profit even at $5/pair.

Old 05-11-22, 10:06 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3191 Post(s)
Liked 2,460 Times in 1,489 Posts
Not for me. That's getting too matchy matchy for my tastes.

Suntour tried that with their X-1 Chroma group.

https://velobase.com/ViewGroup.aspx?...e-d3092e921084
Likes For seypat:
Old 05-11-22, 10:12 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
There is someone - I can’t remember the sellers name - that is offering exactly these o-rings in a variety of colors. As I recall, they’re $5-8/pair. I’ll dig for a link….
Old 05-11-22, 10:19 AM
RustyJames 

Bikes: You had me at rusty and Italian!!

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 1,032 Times in 534 Posts
https://bikerecyclery.com/barrel-adj...ed-blue-green/

$4.49/pair!!
Likes For RustyJames:
Old 05-11-22, 10:30 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,723 Posts
BF member jamesdak turned me on to these from bikecyclery, as linked above. They come two to a pack. Very high quality. I got white ones for my Dura Ace brakes.

And for the record, I have no problem with matchy-matchy: White tape, saddle, cable housing, toe straps and bottle cages.
Old 05-11-22, 10:33 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
if you can find the post where someone shared the number for "pretty damn close" matching o-rings sold in plumbing supply shops for about 79 cents, IIRC you can usually find such plumbing parts in either "buna-N black" or brick red...the colors plumbers like best.
Old 05-11-22, 10:47 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3430 Post(s)
Liked 2,824 Times in 1,723 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbob
might as well paint your nails to match too
Well, my nails aren't...you know...part of the bike. But thanks for the suggestion.
Likes For smd4:
Old 05-11-22, 11:26 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by RustyJames
Well, there you go. I was not far off on the price point either. That said, despite all my bikes being red, of the two with side pulls, one has black bar tape and housing... the other yellow. Perhaps time to change color schemes on the bikes?

Old 05-11-22, 11:35 AM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4311 Post(s)
Liked 2,954 Times in 1,601 Posts
OK, now that that's settled - here's something I used to want to invent: a fixed gear hub with a device to switch to freewheel. Something like an internal gear that could lock or unlock with the pull of a lever or similar. So people could experience fixed gear riding, and still have the option to turn it off - like maybe when you're in tight spaces or a lot of traffic or something. Also you wouldn't have to take a flip-flop wheel out and get dirty and everything, which is fine for once in a while, but not in the middle of a ride.

Originally I thought this would be a good idea because I hadn't ridden FG enough to be comfortable with the idea, now I think it'd be a good idea for other people, but I don't need it. Anyway, seems like it would be an easy option to offer on SS bikes.
Old 05-11-22, 12:02 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
Originally Posted by DiabloScott
OK, now that that's settled - here's something I used to want to invent: a fixed gear hub with a device to switch to freewheel. Something like an internal gear that could lock or unlock with the pull of a lever or similar. So people could experience fixed gear riding, and still have the option to turn it off - like maybe when you're in tight spaces or a lot of traffic or something. Also you wouldn't have to take a flip-flop wheel out and get dirty and everything, which is fine for once in a while, but not in the middle of a ride.

Originally I thought this would be a good idea because I hadn't ridden FG enough to be comfortable with the idea, now I think it'd be a good idea for other people, but I don't need it. Anyway, seems like it would be an easy option to offer on SS bikes.
It's come up before... maybe in the SS/FG forum if not here. My concern would be how you clutch it so that you can't accidentally go from 0 to 120RPM. Could be dangerous the first couple of times even if you're expecting it.

So maybe a clutch that forces the drivetrain to come up to speed more gradually (at the expense of never being 100% locked in), or perhaps the control could only pull the linkage out of engagement at speed, so you could select coasting if a downhill is coming, but only put it back into fixed mode at a stop...
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498

Last edited by ThermionicScott; 05-11-22 at 12:05 PM.
Old 05-11-22, 02:47 PM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by DiabloScott
OK, now that that's settled - here's something I used to want to invent
Hmm, perhaps a clearinghouse of ideas and someone might decide worthwhile to make...

I wonder if all older pedals that could accept toe clips had the same c-to-c distance on the holes where the toe clips attach. Someone could make a casting that attached there, and incorporated a SPD-style clamp; I have quite a few pairs of Campy Superleggera pedals, road & track, that I wouldn't mind into making into SPD pedals. Same for old MKS, DuraAce, whatever.

Likes For tiger1964:
Old 05-11-22, 04:08 PM
panzerwagon 
Garage tetris expert

Bikes: A few. Ok, a lot

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 327 Posts
Originally Posted by tiger1964
Hmm, perhaps a clearinghouse of ideas and someone might decide worthwhile to make...

I wonder if all older pedals that could accept toe clips had the same c-to-c distance on the holes where the toe clips attach. Someone could make a casting that attached there, and incorporated a SPD-style clamp; I have quite a few pairs of Campy Superleggera pedals, road & track, that I wouldn't mind into making into SPD pedals. Same for old MKS, DuraAce, whatever.
Interesting idea. I have a couple types of attachments for SPD pedals that do the reverse: one turns the SPD pedal into a standard flat pedal, and the other type turns it into a toe-clip-and-strap setup.
An attachment that does what you suggest would require a very strong connection to the pedal in order to withstand the twisting force when releasing SPD restraints.

On the hole alignment idea, I wonder if it can be solved using a short length of aluminium bar stock with a few holes drilled at compatible positions...
Old 05-11-22, 05:33 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
https://www.theoringstore.com/store/...&cPath=367_803

​​​​​​https://www.beadmeastory.com/product...-black-pkg-240
Likes For dedhed:
Old 05-12-22, 12:37 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1421 Post(s)
Liked 1,038 Times in 769 Posts
whoa! Colors (and sizes) I never imagined! Thanks for posting th links!
I don't have a Campy adjuster handy, but one I'm looking for is a brown ring for a SunTour Superbe adjuster.
That "bead" place in MD has a "dark chocolate brown" model in 15mmOD/10mm ID that's not the right brown, but might be close enough.
and 10mm may be a little loose but a little glue might solve that
Also they have a thinner 14mmOD that MIGHT work with Modolo adjusters, not sure, also has 10mm ID and comes in black only (fine for Modolos).

Last edited by unworthy1; 05-12-22 at 12:47 PM.
Old 05-12-22, 01:10 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
Originally Posted by unworthy1
whoa! Colors (and sizes) I never imagined! Thanks for posting th links!
I don't have a Campy adjuster handy, but one I'm looking for is a brown ring for a SunTour Superbe adjuster.
That "bead" place in MD has a "dark chocolate brown" model in 15mmOD/10mm ID that's not the right brown, but might be close enough.
and 10mm may be a little loose but a little glue might solve that
Also they have a thinner 14mmOD that MIGHT work with Modolo adjusters, not sure, also has 10mm ID and comes in black only (fine for Modolos).
The Superb adjuster rubber bumper isn't an O-ring. It's sort of a U in cross-section.

See how the "flying saucer" shape of the adjuster nut fits inside the U-section? Very different from Campy et al. Seems like a dumb design feature, but whatcha gonna do?
I'm no expert on finding generic industrial parts, but it seems unlikely to me you'll find anything to fit, other than a real Superb bumper.

If you need Modolo Professional, Wayne Bingham at Velo Classique in Virginia has them. Not just the rubber bumper, I mean the whole adjuster screw and nut with bumper, sold in pairs only, not cheap.

Mark B

Last edited by bulgie; 05-12-22 at 04:00 PM.
Likes For bulgie:
Old 05-12-22, 01:23 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3868 Post(s)
Liked 2,560 Times in 1,574 Posts
The "Pro Star" brakes on my '88 Bianchi have those rubber pieces on them. They look like a grommet that's inverted from normal, but I haven't found the magic words for Google either.

I suspect that this rubber piece gives a lot more grip to the brake adjuster than just an O-ring riding in a channel.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 05-12-22, 02:22 PM
tiger1964 

Now to dismantle an adjuster and determine the correct specs...

Originally Posted by bulgie
The Superb adjuster rubber bunper isn't an O-ring. It's sort of a U in cross-section.
I visualize a Dremel -- and a lot of anguish -- in the future dealing with that.

Old 05-12-22, 04:09 PM
bulgie 
blahblahblah chrome moly

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 1162 Post(s)
Liked 2,542 Times in 1,065 Posts
I visualize a Dremel -- and a lot of anguish -- in the future dealing with that.
Hmm, making that inside channel in soft plastic/rubber? Maybe it you're a lot better then me with a Dremel. Also you can't make the Superb shape really by removing material from an O-ring. Like you can't make a U by cutting the top off an O, if you see what I mean. Although the DIY part might be 100% functional, it'll look a bit different (if you care)

Prolly easier to just buy new ones. Here's a pair on ebay, used and slightly scuffed but plenty OK in my book, $48 with shipping. Just the first ones I found — a longer search might yield a better deal.

The NOS Modolos I bought from Velo Classique recently were less $$ than that, quite reasonable actually, for unobtainium.

Mark B
Old 05-13-22, 07:39 AM
tiger1964 

Originally Posted by bulgie
Hmm, making that inside channel in soft plastic/rubber? Maybe it you're a lot better then me with a Dremel. Also you can't make the Superb shape really by removing material from an O-ring. Like you can't make a U by cutting the top off an O, if you see what I mean. Although the DIY part might be 100% functional, it'll look a bit different (if you care) Prolly easier to just buy new ones. Here's a pair on ebay, used and slightly scuffed but plenty OK in my book, $48 with shipping. Just the first ones I found — a longer search might yield a better deal. The NOS Modolos I bought from Velo Classique recently were less $$ than that, quite reasonable actually, for unobtainium.
Hence my reference to anguish; I'd probably go through a whole box of o-rings trying to get it right. Possibly less traumatic to find a machinist to turn down the adjusters on a lathe to take a Campy-style o-ring?

And of course it occurred to me last night that while I have one bike with Campy brakes, the other with side pulls is indeed Suntour Superbe... yup, it looks like I have the same problem as pictured.

Old 05-13-22, 03:40 PM
bamboobike4
Banned.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 335 Posts
Recently I was following a thread and there was a picture of a side-pull caliper, perhaps Grand Compe, I cannot remember; but the finger-grip O-ring on the adjusting barrel was brown, not like black on Campy, etc. Hmm, I wonder if there would be a market for these in colors to accent the bike and perhaps match handlebar tape, cable housing, etc. Gum? Red, yellow, blue? Whatever? Celeste? Sounds like a frivolous thing, but I wonder if production costs might be low enough that there would be profit even at $5/pair.
I think the rainbow market may be bigger. Matches everything.