Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Your ideal bike for the type of riding you do

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Your ideal bike for the type of riding you do

Old 03-25-23, 03:03 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4251 Post(s)
Liked 3,862 Times in 2,578 Posts
Originally Posted by Photokid1970
I went into my LBS in 2015.... My friends have since told me that I was dumb to pay full price for a bike instead of purchasing from CL or other used places... but I find that my LBS did me a great favor...., I say that the LBS is definitely the way to go!
You need new friends or just realize your friends might be the dumb ones. You didn't lose out on some great mystery bargain on some used thing you could have easily got fleeced on, you got useful advice and got a bike to ride that has all the warranties and with Trek if not mistaken it is a lifetime warranty on the frame so if something happens you have support and coverage not just from Trek but also help from your LBS. Your friends aren't going to support anything on that Craigslist bike if the frame cracks at the BB (as happened with my Specialized Langster I had for 11 years which Spesh replaced). They aren't going to send you a new one, they will probably make some other stupid comment about you shouldn't have bought that one and thus continues the cycle. Friends should support new bike purchases not call you dumb, that is just asinine.

If you know what you are doing a used bike can be a great option but if something happens that would be normally warranty or crash replacement you are on your own for that and that is no place to be.

In terms of ideal bikes I must say I do ride my R+M Supercharger2 HS Rohloff the most these days but in terms of an analogue bike probably some sort of Ti bike with wide tire clearance would be the ideal I have a lot of excellent bikes but I am finding more and more I know what I want and my bikes all have elements but don't hit the marks as they all maybe once did or they lack some minor things that would be silly upgrades for a bike I don't ride as much as would warrant.

Last edited by veganbikes; 03-25-23 at 03:06 PM.
Likes For veganbikes:
Old 03-26-23, 09:23 AM
Sierra_rider

Bikes: Santa Cruz Blur 4 TR, Canyon Endurace cf sl, Canyon Ultimate cf slx, Canyon Strive enduro, Canyon Grizl sl8

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 177 Post(s)
Liked 696 Times in 273 Posts
While I do have more bikes, there are 3 that I do 99.9% of my riding on. I get most of my riding in on a Canyon Endurace...I've got a pretty agro set up on it, so it splits the difference nicely between comfort on long rides, yet still feeling "racy."

I used to race XC mtb, so my other commonly used bike is my Spesh Epic. Only 100mm travel front and rear, it's perfect for long distance mtb'ing or less technical riding. It's fairly light for a FS mtb bike.

My 3rd bike is my Canyon Strive. It's my go-to for technical trail riding, 160mm travel, 29" wheels, etc. It's perfect for some of the granite boulder infested trails up in the high country.
Old 03-26-23, 09:55 AM
Chuck M 
Happy With My Bikes

Bikes: Hi-Ten bike boomers, a Trek Domane and some projects

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 867 Post(s)
Liked 2,277 Times in 1,099 Posts
Originally Posted by Photokid1970
My friends have since told me that I was dumb to pay full price for a bike instead of purchasing from CL or other used places...
There are times that "friends" just want to feel better about the mistakes they made by giving you advice to make the same ones. And there are times not too far removed from that they are just having sour grapes.

Likes For Chuck M:
Old 03-28-23, 12:25 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
If your bikes are cheap, and you can maintain them yourself, then it does not matter what you ride to get the job done. I have five bikes I can ride today which I have almost no investment in, a Marin MTB I bought new 26 years ago, so it's cost-per-year is low and getting lower. Also I have two ten-speed road bikes one I paid $3 for and another $30 for. A 12-speed road-bike I paid $10 for, and a single-speed road bike I put together out of discarded parts for free. The last five months I have mostly ridden the single-speed bike. It is a Schwinn LeTour frame a friend gave me for free as it was too large for him, A rear coaster hub I scavenged from a junk rusty Schwinn Breeze, handlebars and tires off a bike I bought at the local scrapyard, and pedal cranks off a motobecane I rode in the 1990s but crashed and scrapped out. It is a simple bike I can jump on that requires almost no maintenance, flat pedals, no shifting and little possibility for mechanical failure compared to more complicated bikes. That is the reason I built it, so I could ride without a care in the world or much thought at all, and it works great. For hauling freight I always ride with a large Baily messenger bag I got over 20 years ago, I have carried a full-size automobile muffler in it for many miles, and also the swing-arm off a 1960s Norton motorcycle among other heavy and uncomfortable loads, but it gets the job done. I like carrying the load myself, and leaving the bike free and uncluttered.

Old 03-28-23, 12:32 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4828 Post(s)
Liked 7,819 Times in 3,704 Posts
Originally Posted by beng1
WTH is going on with the chainrings? I have never seen a setup like that before. Is there a specific purpose for the reverse placement?
Old 03-28-23, 12:52 PM
beng1
Banned

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 348 Times in 195 Posts
Originally Posted by Eric F
WTH is going on with the chainrings? I have never seen a setup like that before. Is there a specific purpose for the reverse placement?
It is a common, everyday double road crankset by Sugino. I just swapped the big chainwheel which I wanted to use, to the inside position so it would line up with the rear sprocket. The displaced small chainwheel, usually on the inside, was moved to the outside because the bolts holding them to the cranks are a certain length and I did not think they would work with the thickness of one chainwheel missing. I don't know why juggling chainwheel positions to help chain alignment is a radical idea, I doubt I am the first one to do it. But I am over 60 years old so may have seen a lot more things younger people have not is al I can figure.
Old 03-28-23, 01:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

It is a common, everyday double road crankset by Sugino. I just swapped the big chainwheel which I wanted to use, to the inside position so it would line up with the rear sprocket. The displaced small chainwheel, usually on the inside, was moved to the outside because the bolts holding them to the cranks are a certain length and I did not think they would work with the thickness of one chainwheel missing. I don't know why juggling chainwheel positions to help chain alignment is a radical idea, I doubt I am the first one to do it. But I am over 60 years old so may have seen a lot more things younger people have not is al I can figure.
Now that you have explained it, it makes sense why. I might go about it a different way, but what you did solves the problem. As I said before, I've never seen that particular configuration before. I've only been wrenching on my own bikes for 40+ years, so yeah, I'm pretty new to this stuff.

Last edited by Eric F; 03-28-23 at 02:21 PM.
Likes For Eric F:
Old 03-28-23, 01:26 PM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3634 Post(s)
Liked 5,310 Times in 2,698 Posts
The hits just keep coming!
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-28-23, 02:24 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Originally Posted by shelbyfv
The hits just keep coming!
I'm looking forward to the explanation of why this is actually superior to the way everyone else does it.
Old 03-28-23, 07:56 PM
t2p

Bikes: Cannondale - Gary Fisher - Giant - Litespeed - Schwinn Paramount - Schwinn (lugged steel) - Trek OCLV

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1355 Post(s)
Liked 1,802 Times in 1,037 Posts
Likes For t2p:
Old 03-29-23, 06:15 AM
prairiepedaler
Banned.

Bikes: Looking for "the One"

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 320 Times in 212 Posts
One outstanding point that was made in the book "The End of Average" was the author cited a 5000 soldier study conducted by the Scottish military to determine an average metric of the human body to help develop cockpits for tanks and aircraft. 30 data points from each man were taken, elbow to wrist length, chest diameter, overall leg length etc. They added up all the metrics from each soldier and averaged them. They then compared the total agregate average to each soldiers' measurements and not a single soldier had the same measurements as that total average. Everybodys' different and no one is average, and everyone has different needs and desires in a bike then it seems.
Likes For prairiepedaler:
Old 03-29-23, 06:25 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Originally Posted by prairiepedaler
. Everybodys' different and no one is average, and everyone has different needs and desires in a bike then it seems.
You can do better.... Aside from that, most cyclists are happy with the bikes available, given the ability to adjust fit and swap components. Few need custom, we aren't snowflakes.
Likes For shelbyfv:
Old 03-30-23, 11:26 AM
Lombard
Sock Puppet

Bikes: 2014 Cannondale Synapse Carbon, 2017 Jamis Renegade Exploit and too many others to mention.

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 863 Times in 573 Posts
On your single speed rear, the arrangement is a non-issue. If you had gears in the back, there would be serious cross chain issues.

Last edited by Lombard; 03-31-23 at 08:11 PM.
Likes For Lombard:
Old 03-31-23, 07:56 PM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Your ideal riding for the type of bike you have.

⬆️ Just a suggestion for a counterpoint
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 04-02-23, 03:45 PM
Nicke71

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 11 Posts
I have one bike it covers what I want to do, I just switched from 28mm GP5000’s to 32mm gravel king tires. I moved last fall to a more rural hilly part of the state and wanted to explore a little further.
Likes For Nicke71:
Old 04-03-23, 03:19 AM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by skidder
All mine are patched-together 'Frankenbikes' so I can't give you a brand name or model to go by. Some have drop bars, some have flat bars, some 26" wheels and others with 700 wheels with varying tire sizes, gearing varies from 2 x 9 to a single speed. All have a rack of some type to carry a few extras, and none have disc brakes.
I'm with you on that. I have more fun building it than ridind it.
Old 04-03-23, 03:31 AM
sjanzeir
BF's Resident Dumbass

Bikes: 1990 Raleigh Flyer (size 21"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 15"); 2014 Trek 7.6 FX (size 17.5"); 2019 Dahon Mu D9; 2020 Dahon Hemingway D9

Quoted: 792 Post(s)
Liked 1,493 Times in 496 Posts
Originally Posted by shelbyfv
Originally Posted by Eric F
I'm looking forward to the explanation of why this is actually superior to the way everyone else does it.
Maybe he's a fan of E. T.
Likes For sjanzeir:
Old 04-03-23, 06:09 AM
EJM73

Bikes: 1980's Viner Track Bike, Litespeed M1

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 43 Posts
I enjoy 25 to 30 mile Saturday & Sunday rides. This Litespeed does the job perfect!
Likes For EJM73:
Old 04-04-23, 06:49 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Nice wall mount!