Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Mid-Atlantic
Reload this Page >

Hatem bridge, Conowingo bridge? MD crossing of the Susquehanna

Search
Notices
Mid-Atlantic Pennsylvania | Maryland | DC | Delaware | West Virginia | Virginia

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-23, 10:57 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

Bikes: Trek 520, Lightfoot Ranger, Trek 4500

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked 263 Times in 178 Posts

I am curious of any recent experiences or recommendations as far as cycling the Hatem bridge or as a backup the Conowingo bridge.

I am a touring cyclist who will be traveling from Baltimore, MD to Dover, DE. I expect to cross the Susquehanna on a Sunday afternoon. I understand the Hatem bridge is open on Saturday/Sunday from dawn to dusk for cyclists and that I will need to pay the toll eastbound.

The Hatem bridge looks more direct for my intended route and examining the next bridge upriver (Conowingo) with Google Street View looks like traffic will need to pull left to pass me in any case. So I am inclined to route via the Hatem bridge. However, also wanted to post in this regional forum with any recent experiences or other considerations I should make on my choice of crossing.
Old 03-28-23, 12:14 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18410 Post(s)
Liked 15,530 Times in 7,326 Posts
You might try contacting these folks:

https://whiteclaybicycleclub.org

Likely still a good deal of riding and touring knowledge re: the area your talking about. Everyone from the club who I have met has been extremely nice and knowledgeable.

I rode Conowingo, but that was way back in 1997.

Where you headed after Dover?
Old 03-28-23, 02:52 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Where you headed after Dover?
Thank you, I'll give White Club bicycle group a try.

I am looking at an extended bicycle tour starting in Washington DC and then using an excuse of visiting State Capitols. I don't have enough time in a LOA to do all of them, but I should be able to get a good share. So after Dover I would head towards Trenton...
Likes For mev:
Old 03-28-23, 05:35 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3237 Post(s)
Liked 2,082 Times in 1,180 Posts
Annapolis is the capitol of Maryland, I would inquire of a shuttle service on the Rt50 bridge, something rings a bell. Or a Uber with a van to the east side of Rt 50.
Old 03-28-23, 07:11 PM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mev

I am looking at an extended bicycle tour starting in Washington DC and then using an excuse of visiting State Capitols. I don't have enough time in a LOA to do all of them, but I should be able to get a good share. So after Dover I would head towards Trenton...
If it fits, I highly recommend Cape Henlopen State Park in Lewes, DE. (Reservations highly recommended, at least on weekends) You can get there from Rehoboth almost entirely via bike lanes and a neat path that goes through a tidal area. The park is a former military base that was established to guard the bay against Nazi invasion. At the right times of year, dolphins and the occasional whale are seen from the beaches. The tent campsites are very close and offer little privacy, but it’s worth it. (I had reservations for Easter weekend, but alas.) Lewes is a cute down worthy of a rest day. From there, it’s a 90 minute ferry ride to Cape May, NJ. (Saw a whale during my Good Friday sailing last year.) From there, you can ride north through the shore towns and their boardwalks.
Old 03-29-23, 04:46 AM
mev
bicycle tourist

There is a company named Kent Island Express that others have used to shuttle a bicycle across US 50 bridge, so believe that should be possible. Alternately, I suppose I could try what I did with the Bay Bridge Tunnel a while ago. Stop a little ways before the bridge and try hitch hiking across though that seems less certain. So that is in my alternative set if necessary.

I did also get one additional piece of info on the Hatem Bridge. I had read that toll booths were removed in 2019 in favor of entirety EZ Pass. So I wrote to MD Transportation Department on how cyclists could pay tolls. They told me either a drop box @ I-95 crossing of Susquehanna or a mailing address. So I know how I can stay legal as far as tolls go (though the drop box is far enough out of the way that the Conowingo Bridge is similar.

indyfabz thanks for reference to Cape Henlopen. I think I'll see what time of day I end up in Dover and if end of day, that is a good alternative to try ending and take first ferry in the morning. Other alternative is via Philadelphia corridor which I expect to be much busier. I did the ferry many years ago on a trip that continued along NJ shore to Atlantic City, but this time I want to go across to Trenton.
Old 04-25-23, 08:16 AM
indyfabz

Originally Posted by mev
indyfabz thanks for reference to Cape Henlopen. I think I'll see what time of day I end up in Dover and if end of day, that is a good alternative to try ending and take first ferry in the morning. Other alternative is via Philadelphia corridor which I expect to be much busier. I did the ferry many years ago on a trip that continued along NJ shore to Atlantic City, but this time I want to go across to Trenton.
Are you planning to come through Philly?
Old 04-25-23, 07:50 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Originally Posted by indyfabz
Are you planning to come through Philly?
It depends on time of day and weather when I reach Dover. If the weather is dry and I am in Dover towards end of the day, I'll head to Cape Henlopen and try the first ferry the next morning. If it is earlier in the day, I head back towards Wilmington and cross Philadelphia the next day.
Old 05-01-23, 05:23 PM
mev
bicycle tourist

Follow up: I crossed the Hatem Bridge today, three times. That wasn't exactly planned, gory details in my blog - https://mvermeulen.org/gone2look4ame...-hatem-bridge/

However, what I found:
1. A Google Search of "Havre de Grace Taxi" shows up a company along with a facebook page. The phone number told me it wasn't in service and didn't hear back from email or Facebook messenger.
2. I was able to find a Northbound UberXL for myself and bicycle without much difficulty. I couldn't get a southbound Uber ride.
3. Harford County Transit runs buses across, particularly the Teal route - https://www.harfordcountymd.gov/2283/Bus-Routes
4. I wasn't able to hitchhike but also didn't try for very long.

I came to the bridge on a rainy Sunday afternoon. I chose not to cross that afternoon by bicycle - mostly because of the weather and limited visibility of automobile traffic. I did my three crossings of the bridge on Monday.
Knowing what I know now, I'd be more inclined to skip this bridge. For where I was going - getting a ride across the William Preston bridge (US 50) would have likely worked better.