Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

It's worth it...

Search
Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

It's worth it...

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-05, 11:36 PM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's worth it...

If your thinking about biking instead of driving do it. If you read about others in the forum, you know it must be special....and hard.
It's hard because there are no popular people doing it,
no products marketed for it,
no sports teams compete to get milk at the store,
no magazines devoted to car-free people,
no status in doing it,
no real infrastructure,
no commercials,
no image, it goes on.
But the rewards are equally deserved,
live longer, healthier, and better,
if you stop next to a car, everybody looks at you,
sleep problems disappear,
society is no longer out of a glass cage
you can travel different ways everyday,
and of course $.

I'm tired, but I encourage everybody thats hedging, try it.
Old 11-15-05, 12:57 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yesterday, I asked my wife if I could borron her train pass so that I could ride the train for free instead of taking my bike for the 40 minute commute to work. I was feeling pretty lazy and diddn't feel like gathering my bike stuff.

Well, she said sorry honey, but I need it to go shopping. So I got my bike stuff together, jumped on my bike, and headed off. It took about 30 seconds of being on my bike to be thankful that she said no. What a great ride.
Old 11-15-05, 05:09 AM
kurremkarm
I bet

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yeah hardest part for me is kitty litter and cat food but once a month or so i get on the bus and shop for those two heavy items. Everything else fits in my pack or basket.
Old 11-15-05, 06:15 AM
natelutkjohn
Cheesmonger Extraordinair

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by kurremkarm
Yeah hardest part for me is kitty litter and cat food but once a month or so i get on the bus and shop for those two heavy items. Everything else fits in my pack or basket.
The best remedy for those large items is a Military Sea-bag (like in the NAVY). I bought one when I was a kid for camping, now almost 15 years later I use it whenever I need to get largs bags of cat food/litter or do laundry. Those things are bottomless - although rather uncomfortable - however I only need to use it for the occasional trip.
Old 11-15-05, 07:23 AM
BenyBen
winter is comming

Bikes: Mikado kensington 2003, "commuterized" 8yr old Mongoose hilltopper SX, Baycrest Hurricane 10 speed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, totaly! Whenever I feel like wussing out, and end up going anyways, I get such a good ride.

It's true that there is no popular support of utility cycling, but who are we doing it for?
Old 11-15-05, 07:46 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree that there is unfortunately virtually no "glamour" and "coolness" in utility cycling -- although in reality it IS much "tougher" and "rugged" and "manly" or whatever other trendy labels you want to use from the auto culture -than conforming and being lazy/comfy in a car and sitting on your butt...

utility cycling thus attracts basically 3 types: (usually a combination of 2 or all 3)
1) people who really do it for economy and savings
2) people who could drive but choose to bike on principle - because of environmental or community or social views (i.e. pollution, isolation of auto, death and destruction of auto culture, sprawl and waste, etc.)
3) people who bike simply because they love to bike and be active and enjoy the health benefits of cycling

but for people who want to gain/display social status and appear "cool" to others utility cycling unfortunately currently offers little...

fortunately most of us are self-confident and independent-minded enough to cycle anyway

P.S. as someone above noted, one of the main reasons why utility clycing is not "cool" is that there is very little money to be made in the industry and as a result no add campaigns and brain-washing... (imagine the "auto-style" adds showing the freedom you attain on a bike or the health or the benefits to your sex life or whatever...)
Old 11-15-05, 08:53 AM
Heyduke
assonfire

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
These are all great reasons to ride, pholks! Anyone still unsure, here are more practical reasons for driving (in addition to those stated above).

Sometimes you can get to where you're going much faster by pedaling than driving. I can't count the times that I've ridden under an underpass and noticed above, sitting in traffic the guy who was sitting in from of me at the last stop light. Don't that make me smile! Of course this only happens when I take the Greenway and avert traffic.

And, no need for parking spaces, parking meter fees, etc. This is especially important at the brewery where there is no free parking for cars!!

Lastly, most cyclists wave back and smile - drivers do not!

Earth First!
Old 11-16-05, 01:13 AM
carless
Fatties Fit Fine

Bikes: Bianchi (2), Surly w/ couplers, REI tourer, Giant OCR Touring

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal
Yesterday, I asked my wife if I could borron her train pass so that I could ride the train for free instead of taking my bike for the 40 minute commute to work. I was feeling pretty lazy and diddn't feel like gathering my bike stuff.

Well, she said sorry honey, but I need it to go shopping. So I got my bike stuff together, jumped on my bike, and headed off. It took about 30 seconds of being on my bike to be thankful that she said no. What a great ride.
Waaay off subject, but what occupation takes you to Germany, NYC and Rio? What part has transportation/lifestyle/globestomper played in your decisions?
As an aside I was stationed in Schweinfurt and well.. as a young soldier I had a different agenda in Frankfurt.
Old 11-16-05, 07:51 AM
becnal
I'm made of earth!

Bikes: KTM Macina 5 e-bike, Babboe Curve-E cargobike, Raleigh Aspen touring/off-road hybrid.

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carless
Waaay off subject, but what occupation takes you to Germany, NYC and Rio? What part has transportation/lifestyle/globestomper played in your decisions? As an aside I was stationed in Schweinfurt and well.. as a young soldier I had a different agenda in Frankfurt.
It's ok to be off subject. It's your thread man! =)

Yep, I'm an English teacher from NYC, lived in Rio for 2 years, now I'm here. I love it. Actually, I've loved every minute of my life so far. I don't thínk many people are as fortunate as I am.

I don't think I exactly get your question. Are you asking me what role my bicycle has on my lifestyle mas a globetrotter?
Old 11-16-05, 08:04 AM
pedex
Banned

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 501 Times in 397 Posts
Wanna haul stuff, get one of these:
Old 11-16-05, 04:59 PM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by becnal

I can't count how many times this has happened to me (well, maybe I could count the 40lbs I've lost). For a while this happened to me a lot but as I got more and more into it I've realized I almost never get the lazy feeling anymore. Now I'm even saving for a racing bike so I can do some races. When I'm riding I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.
Old 11-17-05, 07:26 AM
alterego3

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedex
Wanna haul stuff, get one of these:
For us newbies what is one of those?
Old 11-17-05, 10:32 AM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
but for people who want to gain/display social status and appear "cool" to others utility cycling unfortunately currently offers little...
It also offers little to people who are looking for things to be easy, and don't want to face a challenge from time to time.
Old 11-17-05, 12:02 PM
humancongereel
live free or die trying

Bikes: bianchi pista workhorse, cannondale r1000, mountain bike fixed conversion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alterego3
For us newbies what is one of those?
just a big messenger bag. you'd be surprised what you can get in one of those.

but i'm sticking with my ginormous army/navy store backpack. i carried a stereo from the store i brought it at to my house, no problems. a ton of groceries? no worries either. cat litter? i don't own a cat, but i should get one just so i can carry the cat liter on my bike with my backpack.
Old 11-18-05, 09:02 AM
shishi

Bikes: Sparton(custon track), Fuji

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The messenger bag also makes for a great travel bag, so you can park your bike at the airport
Old 11-18-05, 09:06 AM
Elvish Legion
JOCP Senior Advisor

Bikes: 1979 Shcwinn Varsity, 2005 Speciazlied Transition Multi-Sport, 2005 Specailized Sirrus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BeTheChange
. When I'm riding I can't think of anything I'd rather be doing.

I can....riding faster
Old 11-18-05, 01:03 PM
Roody
Sophomoric Member

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 711 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 13 Posts
...and further.

"Think Outside the Cage"