Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

GAP Trail Guide

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

GAP Trail Guide

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-22, 05:13 PM
Pratt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 415 Post(s)
Liked 498 Times in 295 Posts
GAP Trail Guide

Does anyone know if the new, 2022, edition is out? I checked their website and it is unclear. A friend was interested in my description, so I thought I would put temptation in his way.
Old 01-06-22, 06:03 PM
N2deep

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 88 Times in 57 Posts
Not sure about the maps however they have an interactive map that has the detail needed to plan your trip. Google GAP interactive map. Have fun.
Old 01-12-22, 10:22 PM
csport

Bikes: Soma Double Cross Disc (2017), red Hardrock FS (circa 1996)

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 217 Post(s)
Liked 155 Times in 102 Posts
Yes, 18th edition is the new one:
https://gaptrailstore.org/collections/trailguide
Old 01-13-22, 12:27 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
The interactive map link is up top:

Great Allegheny Passage (gaptrail.org)

This site is all I have ever used to plan three trips incorporating all of the trail.
Old 01-15-22, 05:28 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I did the GAP last year, from Pittsburgh to Cumberland - Cycleblaze journal here.

The interactive map is usually the most up to date and they have a trail alerts section that is usually pretty current, too.

I found the interactive map kinda hard to use, though. The listings for lodging and food are not necessarily complete or up to date - better to look at Tripadvisor or Google for lodging/food planning. My choices for food and lodging in Confluence were very limited - no answer at several of the motels/inns shown on the loding list and many of the dining spots closed during the week when I went.

Covid has hit the small trail towns pretty hard, with many businesses closed or ending their seasons after Labor Day vs. staying open through leaf peepage season. West Newton, Connellsville and Meyersdale are pretty reliable still. - if you are planning food stops at the other small towns, check in advance.
Old 01-15-22, 03:53 PM
Pratt

I did the GAP in Sept. last year. In Confluence, I didn't have a reservation at the campground, and none of the rangers could figure out how to do it on my phone. I asked a lady in a Winnebago and she said the app made it easier. My phone would not install the app without my Apple password which I had carefully written down on a piece off paper, in my desk at home. Fortunately I was able to tell the Rangers the story of how a particular NP, that they had all worked at, came into existence. They let me stay.
I ate at a nice restaurant/inn on the river bank.
Old 01-15-22, 05:05 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3459 Post(s)
Liked 1,465 Times in 1,143 Posts
This comment is generic, not specific to GAP and C&O.

Some restaurants are having trouble hiring and retaining staff. Expect closures, carry some extra food just in case. Etc.
Old 01-16-22, 10:11 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,525 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Pratt
I did the GAP in Sept. last year. In Confluence, I didn't have a reservation at the campground, and none of the rangers could figure out how to do it on my phone. I asked a lady in a Winnebago and she said the app made it easier. My phone would not install the app without my Apple password which I had carefully written down on a piece off paper, in my desk at home. Fortunately I was able to tell the Rangers the story of how a particular NP, that they had all worked at, came into existence. They let me stay.
I ate at a nice restaurant/inn on the river bank.
The fact that the place does not have an Iron Ranger, at least for the cyclists area, blew my mind. I ended up calling Reserve America from the campsite so I could pay. And at first the agent I spoke with couldn’t figure out how to book me in the cyclist area. WTH?
Old 01-18-22, 01:16 PM
Altair 4

Bikes: 2011 Novara Forza Hybrid, 2005 Trek 820, 1989 Cannondale SR500 Black Lightning, 1975 Mundo Cycles Caloi Racer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 258 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 157 Posts
I like to keep copy of the TrailGuide on my nightstand. It makes for fun reading and sort of a mental planning session of future rides. Especially good at this time of the year when I have 11" of snow in the driveway.
Old 01-19-22, 01:29 PM
Pratt

Originally Posted by Altair 4
I like to keep copy of the TrailGuide on my nightstand. It makes for fun reading and sort of a mental planning session of future rides. Especially good at this time of the year when I have 11" of snow in the driveway.
That would go well in a thread about "favorite cycling books."