Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Easton EC90 aero tubular questions

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 01-27-22, 02:02 AM
ctak

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 146 Posts

I have a nice set of Easton EC90 Aero tubular wheels (r4 hubs) that I'd like to get back on the road. Previously set up with glue and 22mm Conti Competitions (flatted these after 200 miles of riding).

1) I'm looking for tire recommendations. Would like to try a 25-28mm wide tire, as the roads around here are pretty bad. On clinchers I've been happy with the rolling resistance and durability of GP5000s, so something in an equivalent class would be great, if possible.
I'm assuming 30mm Pave's would be much too wide for my rims; pls correct if wrong on that: https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...320-tpi?sg=500

2) Would also appreciate suggestions for tubular tape. Would Tofu or Velox Jantex suffice?

thanks!
Old 01-27-22, 10:45 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Do NOT use tape. I don't care what anyone says, it is not the correct way to mount tires. Pro racers are pretty much the only ones still using tubulars in large numbers and I have NEVER seen one ride a tire attached with tape. I would know because I was a pro team mechanic for over a decade including road, cx, and mtb. Your rim width isn't the determining factor for tire size, it's the brake...and what size will fit inside it. If you have disc brakes that obviously isn't an issue.

Glue your tires (or have an experienced mechanic glue them), it's the only reliable way to do it. I have pushed taped Conti tubulars right off a carbon rim, it was like there was zero adhesion. I prefer Vittoria Mastik 1 over any other glue. I've mounted well over 1000 tubulars over the years and it's the only thing I'll use. I'm sure there are others that work well but given what I can reliably get and my personal experience Vittoria is my go-to.
Old 01-27-22, 10:45 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
The 30mm Paves look great, if a bit pricey. Fine on those rims.

Hard no on using tofu for glue.
Likes For woodcraft:
Old 01-27-22, 12:37 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by cxwrench
Do NOT use tape. I don't care what anyone says, it is not the correct way to mount tires. Pro racers are pretty much the only ones still using tubulars in large numbers and I have NEVER seen one ride a tire attached with tape. I would know because I was a pro team mechanic for over a decade including road, cx, and mtb. Your rim width isn't the determining factor for tire size, it's the brake...and what size will fit inside it. If you have disc brakes that obviously isn't an issue.

Glue your tires (or have an experienced mechanic glue them), it's the only reliable way to do it. I have pushed taped Conti tubulars right off a carbon rim, it was like there was zero adhesion. I prefer Vittoria Mastik 1 over any other glue. I've mounted well over 1000 tubulars over the years and it's the only thing I'll use. I'm sure there are others that work well but given what I can reliably get and my personal experience Vittoria is my go-to.
Thanks for in the info. Given your experience, what road tubular tire would you recommend for training? I average 250-350 miles per week, all road miles. I'd like to avoid Conti Competitions this time around as they didn't last long and the second set developed multiple punctures after 200 miles. On clinchers, I run gp5000s which have been durable enough for me (usually 3k mi for the rear and 5k for the front).
Old 01-27-22, 12:43 PM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,569 Times in 974 Posts
Pro racers are pretty much the only ones still using tubulars in large numbers and I have NEVER seen one ride a tire attached with tape. I would know because I was a pro team mechanic for over a decade including road, cx, and mtb.
The one place people used to do this was triathletes that carried a spare pre-glued tub tied to their saddle back in case of a flat. They'd be able to rip the flatted tub off mid-race and toss on the new one.

You're not ripping a tub off mid-race in a triathlon that was glued normally.

But, that would by far be the exception rather than rule.
Old 01-27-22, 05:12 PM
cxwrench

Originally Posted by ctak
Thanks for in the info. Given your experience, what road tubular tire would you recommend for training? I average 250-350 miles per week, all road miles. I'd like to avoid Conti Competitions this time around as they didn't last long and the second set developed multiple punctures after 200 miles. On clinchers, I run gp5000s which have been durable enough for me (usually 3k mi for the rear and 5k for the front).
Conti Sprinter. Stretch it, put 2 coats of glue on it w/ 12 hours between coats then re-stretch it overnight before mounting. Trust me.
Old 01-27-22, 07:14 PM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
I started riding Veloflex Vlaanderen 28’s three years ago. Nothing I have ridden in 40 years on tubulars comes close. Expensive but worth every penny. They have changed their lineup with the pro tour replacing the Vlaanderen.
Old 01-27-22, 10:40 PM
ctak

Originally Posted by waters60
I started riding Veloflex Vlaanderen 28’s three years ago. Nothing I have ridden in 40 years on tubulars comes close. Expensive but worth every penny. They have changed their lineup with the pro tour replacing the Vlaanderen.
How much mileage do you typically get out of them before replacing the rear?
Old 01-27-22, 10:45 PM
ctak

Conti Sprinter. Stretch it, put 2 coats of glue on it w/ 12 hours between coats then re-stretch it overnight before mounting. Trust me.
I'm assuming you are referring to the non-Gatorskin Sprinter?

Also, would you recommend the 25mm width for my rims?
Old 01-28-22, 04:49 AM
waters60

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 203 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 63 Posts
How much mileage do you typically get out of them before replacing the rear?
I had almost 4,000 miles on my front tire before retiring it to spare status. I used to ride Vittoria Rally tubulars because they were cheap. Once I decided to start using Orange Seal Endurance that limited me to removable valve core tires but the tradeoff has been entirely worth it. I also wanted 28’s on my Campy Bora rims. Of course disc brakes meant the limiting factor for tires was frame clearance.
Now if you want to try your wheels and decide whether you like them or not the Rally’s are perfectly serviceable tires.
Old 01-28-22, 02:11 PM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts

+1 on the Sprinters. Where other tires come back from the rides with glass cuts, embedded bits, & eventually leaky performance, the Sprinters go and go without issue (IME).

I have 23/25s on, at about 70 psi which compensates for the slightly lesser ride quality vs the nicest tires. I had older EC90s for years til they wore out- good with occasional excitement in cross wind gusts.

this was the previous 25mm Sprinter- not sure the miles but a lot, & no flats.

Old 01-28-22, 04:20 PM
cxwrench

Yes, 25mm.
Old 01-30-22, 12:40 PM
ctak

Thanks friends, Sprinters ordered