Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Advice needed for fast commuter bike

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Advice needed for fast commuter bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-09, 08:14 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
nice bike, put some drops on that bad boy
Old 03-05-09, 08:16 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7348 Post(s)
Liked 2,467 Times in 1,434 Posts
Let us know how it goes!

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 03-05-09, 01:22 PM
Frogbox

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Today was much better, much less fatigued after this morning and knocked 25 minutes off my home journey. Really enjoyed it, but would still like to be a little faster.
Old 03-05-09, 01:24 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

You said it's 15 miles each way. How long is it taking you?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Old 03-05-09, 01:39 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

and you knocked off 25 minutes buit want to g faster? huh? how was the ride in? why wasn't the ride in faster too?
Old 03-05-09, 01:43 PM
Frogbox

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It's taking me about 1 hour 15 minutes at the moment. I'd like to get that down to an hour, the people who I cycle with assure me that can be done.

When I said I knocked 25 minutes off I meant it took me an hour and twenty minutes to get home rather than an hour an 45 which it took me previously.
Old 03-05-09, 01:45 PM
rumrunn6

I had been struggling with my 17 miles and trying to break the 1 hr mark. Now that I am a smarter commuter I take more time. Intersections, traffic lights, and obeying the law in general eats precious minutes.
Old 03-05-09, 11:16 PM
covertchannel

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have about the same length commute and I currently weigh just short of 250lbs. I always lean down during the summer. You will too if you stick with it. If you get a bike you don't like, you won't enjoy riding it. I personally find it annoying to put all my energy into friction, so the road bike works best for me and for this distance.

Over the years I have found that a metal frame road bike is the best combination for me. You can't clamp anything on a carbon bike, such as a kickstand or bags, and I like not having things hanging on me when it's 110 outside. A road bike rolls well, so is a very efficient method of conveyance. Surly makes a very good very inexpensive metal frame. I have a Fuji with an aluminum frame, road wheels (and these great little road bike fenders that I fastened on with zip ties) but if I didn't, I'd probably get a Surly. I recommend the lightest cheapest back frame you can find. I've bought several and I've never known one to fail, but they can be heavy. I have used Arkel Panniers and they have lived up to their lifetime guarantee and replaced them free on more than one occasion. Also, have an escape plan for breakdowns. Mine is that I carry a locking cable with me, so when I pop a tire or something, I simply chain the bike outside the nearest bike shop and go on to work and drop a key through the mail slot. Later, I call them up with my credit card and they have the bike ready when it's time to go home.

All the best to you.
Old 03-05-09, 11:30 PM
daredevil
cyclepath

Bikes: 2005 Trek Pilot 5.0, 2001 Specialized Sirrus Pro, Kona Lava Dome, Raleigh hardtail converted to commuter, 87 Takara steel road bike, 2008 Trek Soho

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
A hard tail with a rigid fork, fenders, a rack and slicks makes a nice versatile commuter. I've got a pair I use in the winter, one with studs.

Last edited by daredevil; 03-07-09 at 08:00 PM.
Old 03-06-09, 09:53 AM
contador

Bikes: slicked mountain,orbea sierra nevada,pinarello asolo

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Frogbox
Hi,

I'm just starting a regular cycle commute to work. It's 15 miles each way, mainly along road of varying quality. I am currently using an old Giant Boulder Alushock with slicks, but I have to be honest I find even in the faster gears it could be performing better, added to that I am fairly unfit and carrying a bit too much weight (another reason for commuting by bike).

My prioirty is to make the journey as quick as possible, but I would still like to take the bike along tracks and the odd trail.

I have spoken to a few shops but I am aware I am talking to people who are salesmen.

I just wondered what advice I could get as to the kind of bike to choose. I'll be very greatful.

lube drivetrain
check tire pressure
get on your bike
and ride
Old 03-07-09, 12:32 AM
harrier

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Set a goal for your commute time (preferably shorter than current...). When you reach it, reward yourself with a new cross bike.

Or go with a road bike that can take slightly fatter tires to go off the road.
Old 03-07-09, 05:59 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

I've begun to wonder if the original message was a troll post.