Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Can u help me make bike riding fun again?

Search
Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Search this Thread

Old 04-21-09, 05:44 PM
sunkissie

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello everyone. Here's my situation. When I was younger I used to ride in all my spare time and I really enjoyed it. As I got older I stopped riding and the newest bike I had received as a gift from my parents sat their in garage for many years.

lt wasn't until last year that I tried riding again with my husband for the first time in 15 years. I used my old bike that had been sitting in my parents garage. It was a horrible experience. No where near as fun as I had remembered from my childhood. It felt like my arms were stretching to reach the bars, my legs were stretching to reach the peddle, my bottom was sore ,and it was difficult for me to change gears because I had forgotten a lot about riding.

I initially wanted to go out riding with my husband because I am over weight and I wanted to bike ride as a fun workout. It would be especially nice because we live near a really long boardwalk that goes on for about 3-4miles and near a small park. We had planned to primarily use the boardwalk to ride and get my endurance up so we could ride farther and longer it was going to be great. But since that experience I haven't touched the bike.

It's summer again now and I really want to give it another try maybe buy a new bike if need be. If anyone can give me some advice on what kind of bike would be good for my needs or what I should do in my situation I would greatly appreciate it. I really want to enjoy bike riding again. Thank you so much.
Old 04-21-09, 05:49 PM
jtarver
Rumblefish

Bikes: 1973 Crescent Pepita Single Speed,1978 Raleigh Competition G.S.,1976 Raleigh Super Course MKII,1970's Motobecane Super Touring Fixed Gear, 1980's Denti Road Tech Five,Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo,1973 Atala Giro,Cheap MTB Tandem,Schwinn World Sport

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let us know where you live and I bet a BFer in your area could help fit your existing bike a bit better. The more you ride the less you weigh and the more comfortable riding becomes, kind of a catch 22 at first, but if you stick with it you'll feel like a new person in no time.
Old 04-21-09, 05:55 PM
J_Taylor

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you don't care about buying a new bike, maybe consider one of the comfort/cruiser style bikes from Electra, Giant, Trek, really any major bike manufacturer. Especially consider a bike with the 'flat foot' style frame - it will have a more upright seating position , and when you come to a stop, you can put your entire foot down. They also tend to be longer than other bikes, enhancing their stability. Most have suspension forks, seat posts and cushy saddles to absorb bumps. The models I really like:

Giant Suede

Electra Townie

They are a bit slower than MTB's and hybrids generally, and the frames can feel a bit heavy. But the ride is phenomenally comfortable, and with the riding position, you can take in your surroundings more easily for a leisurely ride. Good luck! Don't be afraid to try as many models and styles as possible!
Old 04-21-09, 05:57 PM
Mr Danw

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Take the bike to a bike shop and ask for a fitting and a tune up. If thbe bike can't be fitted to you consider a new bike purchase.
Old 04-21-09, 05:58 PM
sunkissie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh yea I forgot to say where I lived sorry about that I live in Queens, NY near Manhattan. A bike fitter? What do they do? The bike is pretty old and a little rusty in some places (I feel bad it was a gift and I didn't use it much ) would that be a problem for a bike fitter? And about how much does it cost?
Old 04-21-09, 06:08 PM
sunkissie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you so much for all the responses.

Ok so if it can't be fitted to me I should consider a new purchase.

I know I wont be needing a mountain bike (no mountain biking for me lol) so the hybrid and comfort/cruiser types seem like they may be good options for me.

Is there somewhere I can read some more about the different bike types so that I can make a good choice if I need to make a new purchase? Maybe some articles discussing what a hybrid bike is better for as opposed to a comfort/cruiser type. Or if anyone has any knowledge in that area?
Old 04-21-09, 06:10 PM
J_Taylor

Bikes: Schwinn Ranger MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This website was linked in a forum where I asked a similar question. Hope it helps!

https://www.biketoledo.net/
Old 04-21-09, 06:27 PM
sunkissie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you again that website had the comparison I was looking for.
So I'm going to go with a hybrid because I plan to do longer bike rides as I gain the endurance. Riding by the ocean with breeze blowing can just be so addicting.
Old 04-22-09, 05:25 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
you might also try renting a bike for a day trip, maybe somewhere fun, plan a short trip that includes fun things. try a couple different places and try a variety of bikes.
Old 04-23-09, 01:32 PM
tornado60

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 13 Posts
What are you on? Sounds to me like you might want to take you and your bike to a shop for a tune up. Have them help you fit it to you and make sure everything is nice and lubed. I'd give that a try before buying a new machine. But then I'm a fan of vintage bikes.
Old 04-25-09, 12:16 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Here is a really good thread for a returning bicyclist to read:

https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=438160

Remember, it likely took a number of years to get out of shape. It will take some time to get back in shape.
Old 04-27-09, 07:53 PM
elarrecostao

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
most of the time hybrids and so called "comfort" bikes aren't so comfortable for us overweight people. consider entry level long-wheelbase recumbents like the sun EZ-1 and the bachetta bellandare, and cruiser types like the townie, the giant suede and the fuji saratoga.
Old 04-28-09, 10:00 PM
harrier

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My wife loves her Bianchi Milano. And she has ridden on relatively long rides (30miles). It is a "hybrid", but it is also nice looking and very functional.

Before you trash your old bike, you might consider changing out the handlebars for something like the "Albatross" by Nitto and raising them above your seat. A bike shop will do it. Go to rivbikes.com for articles about comfort and biking.
Old 04-30-09, 03:36 AM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
+1 I am very curious to know what your old bike is. I also think renting a bike is a great idea. Has a recumbent bike been suggested yet, that may be a fun/comfortable option to look at as well.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 04-30-09, 10:20 AM
Jacobino
Two Tired Traveler

Bikes: Miyata 15-speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sunkissie
lt wasn't until last year that I tried riding again with my husband for the first time in 15 years. I used my old bike that had been sitting in my parents garage. It was a horrible experience. No where near as fun as I had remembered from my childhood. It felt like my arms were stretching to reach the bars, my legs were stretching to reach the peddle, my bottom was sore ,and it was difficult for me to change gears because I had forgotten a lot about riding.
Actually, that's not bad for your first ride in 15 years. I hope you won't give up. While you're getting used to riding a bike again, give yourself some rewards to stay motivated--a destination you really want to go to, something good to eat at the end of the ride, a massage, etc.

You'll get back into shape faster than you think, and pretty soon you'll be riding as far and fast as you want to--and having lots of fun. Maybe you already are.
Old 04-30-09, 10:54 AM
Sci-Fi

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Add looking at the Breezer Town and Range bikes. Comes pretty much equipped with everything (rack, lights, fenders, etc).
Old 04-30-09, 11:45 AM
Holly
Person of Interest

Bikes: depends on the day

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First I would get my bike fitted as suggested or if need be rent or buy a new one.

I agree with whomever said to reward yourself at the end of the ride. Or even during the ride, stop for a nice picnic in the park.
Old 05-01-09, 07:09 AM
DCwom

Bikes: Burley Tandem

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
15 years since you last rode? I'm guessing your at least in your 30's, perhaps approaching fat and forty (that's ok, been there too). I was in the same boat a few years ago, I pulled out my old bike, and went riding, I quickly discovered that the bicycle's "fit" is much more important with, ahem, age. I ended up going to a local bike shop and buying a hybrid that I can sit upright on, I rode lots of bikes at a few different bike shops until I found one that felt right.

I will say even with the right fit, you're going to be sore at first, even hard core riders have some soreness at the beginning of the riding season, more time on the bike means less pain over the long term. You might also consider a riding goal, for me it was the 5 boro bike tour, all 43 miles.
Old 05-01-09, 07:44 AM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Have hubby take you bike shopping at all the local bike shops. Test ride to your heart's content until you find something that fits you (both physically and aesthetically) and your budget. There are a huge variety of bikes to choose from. Later you can always sell or restore your old bike.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey