Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

C-Mas present: Skull cap, balaclava, helmet cover? help!

Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Old 12-08-05, 06:22 PM
thenathanator

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My brother recently taped a clear plastic bag over the top of his helmet to keep the wind out for these cold months. I figured that I would buy him a helmet cover for christmas, and I visited two LBS only to find that none of them had them in stock. Apparently they're not very popular anymore. I've never used one so I'm not sure if they're made specifically to keep just the rain out, or if they keep your head warm as well.

So now I have some choices. I want to get something head related that's good for freezing conditions. Within a range of 40-0 degrees. He has a universal fit Giro helmet with a visor, and there's enough room under it for a wool hat, so a skull cap would fit fine. He also wears glasses, so I think the balaclava is out since I've heard they don't work too well with glasses.

Help!
Old 12-08-05, 06:53 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Scull cap sounds good.

I've never seen helmet liners sold. Always made my own by blocking the vents with clear vinyl or clear packing tape and then adding a swatch of fleece (using double sided tape).

EDITED: My Liner goes on the inside of the helmet

If a balaclava won't work, how about a narrow scarf instead and maybe some of that anti-fog stuff mentioned in the Commuter's forum (if he doesn't already have it).
Old 12-08-05, 06:55 PM
Walkafire

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)

Most everyone wears some sort of glasses... works for me!
https://www.performancebike.com/shop/...tegory_ID=1343

and the covers: https://circlecitybicycles.com/helmetc.htm

Old 12-08-05, 07:07 PM
thenathanator

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do many people wear helmet covers in general? and of those how many actually use them to stay warm.

I think that something like the Pearl Izumi Skull cap will do the trick. Would it better to use that in combination with a helmet cover, or will it be fine on its own? I'm worried about wind.
Old 12-08-05, 07:18 PM
2manybikes

Bikes: 2 many

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1266 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 169 Posts
I always wear a balaclava or two with glasses when it is cold. You need to use a headband, a "croakie" for the glasses. That way you can pull the glasses away from your face a little bit to "defrost" if they get fogged. Or do it before you stop or before that hill. Then you can push them up against you face for a fast downhill. If you are working hard off road and going slowly just take the glasses off and let them hang from your neck if you must.
You can adjust while riding as needed.
Old 12-12-05, 09:20 AM
nathank
cycle-powered

Bikes: '02 Specialized FSR, '03 RM Slayer, '99 Raleigh R700, '97 Norco hartail, '89 Stumpjumper

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i have and use both:
helmet cover goes on in the fall and stays on all winter. it covers up all those vents that make a helmet expensive, so the helmet ISN'T super-ventilated.

a thin skull cap i wear most of the winter.

in addition i also have a windproof headband that goes outside/under the helmet.

for REALLY cold days i have 3 different face masks/baclavas from snowboarding that work well.

i think the cover works well and is especially important in RAIN/SNOW! disadvantage: most of them look really goofy but warmth is more important than fassion!

the skull cap works great for warmth but doesn't protect much from wind or rain/snow. positive: you can hardly see it, so less fashion penalty

IF you ride in the rain and only can have one: i would pick the helmet cover as riding in the cold rain/snow with a ventilated helmet without the cover is miserable!
Old 12-12-05, 07:44 PM
kuan
Twincities MN

Bikes: Fat Caad Lefty, Foundry Overland.

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I wear glasses and I use a balaclava. It works fine. I got a full face fleece one with a mesh in front of the mouth from Menards for $5.99. I'll use that for 10F and below. 10-20F I'll use a lighter weight one made of PI "thermafleece" type material.