Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Singlespeed & Fixed Gear
Reload this Page >

Switching out BB/cranks on various bikes and need help (NJS frame and a Look AC364)

Search
Notices
Singlespeed & Fixed Gear "I still feel that variable gears are only for people over forty-five. Isn't it better to triumph by the strength of your muscles than by the artifice of a derailer? We are getting soft...As for me, give me a fixed gear!"-- Henri Desgrange (31 January 1865 - 16 August 1940)

Switching out BB/cranks on various bikes and need help (NJS frame and a Look AC364)

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-22, 08:04 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts

A friend wants to buy my Gan Well Pro NJS frame and I'm currently putting a complete setup together for him. I'm trying to keep it simple and reliable.

Currently the bike has Sugino 75 cranks/Sugino loose ball BB but I'm keeping that.

I also recently acquired a Look AC364 that has All City cranks. No idea what type sealed bottom bracket the Look uses. My googling hasn't produced any results.

My questions...

-The All City "612" track cranks on the Look are JIS square taper and they recommend a 110mm spindle BB. I've always run loose ball Sugino BB on my NJS bikes but want to put a sealed setup for a newbie friend. All of the sealed bottom brackets from Tange or Shimano are 111mm (like the Shimano UN300 or Tange-Seiki LN 3922). Would any of those work for the All City cranks to go on the Gan Well Pro?

-What is the bottom bracket size/type on the Look AC364 frame? Kind of want to keep that bike and throw the Sugino 75s on it for now.

Thanks
Old 09-24-22, 10:44 AM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
It's really simple; you buy a BB based on the requirements of the cranks, so:

All City 612 = 110mm JIS

Sugino 75 = 111mm ISO

If the Look AC364 frame has All City 612 cranks, then you won't be able to mount Sugino 75 cranks on its BB. So, here is what I recommend:

1) Remove the sealed BB from the Look AC364 frame and install it in the Gan Well Pro so that you can install the All City 612 cranks on it.

2) Buy a 111mm ISO BB and install it in the Look AC364 frame so that you can mount the Sugino 75 cranks on it. Alternatively, you could simply reuse the existing Sugino loose bearing unsealed BB.

Also, the Shimano UN300 or Tange-Seiki LN 3922 BBs are both 110mm JIS, not 111mm as you stated, but this is a moot point if you reuse the existing BB from the Look AC364 frame.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me

Last edited by TejanoTrackie; 09-24-22 at 10:52 AM.
Old 09-25-22, 04:05 PM
Regulatori

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 12 Posts
@TejanoTrackie

Thank you so much, that made perfect sense.

BTW, still use the old Shimano DA pedals (old school Look platform) that you recommended to me a decade or so ago. Still running buttery smooth.
Old 09-25-22, 05:45 PM
TejanoTrackie 
Veteran Racer

Bikes: 32 frames + 80 wheels

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1331 Post(s)
Liked 764 Times in 431 Posts
Originally Posted by Regulatori
@TejanoTrackie

Thank you so much, that made perfect sense.

BTW, still use the old Shimano DA pedals (old school Look platform) that you recommended to me a decade or so ago. Still running buttery smooth.
You're very welcome, glad I could be helpful. I still have my Shimano DA PD-7401 pedals that use the Look Delta cleats on several of my bikes. Did you you that those pedals were actually manufactured by Look for Shimano, because Look at that time refused to license their design to other manufacturers ? You can tell this, because the pedals are marked "PRODUCT OF FRANCE", not Japan. Just a bit of vintage trivia.

Originally Posted by Dcv
I'd like to think i have as much money as brains.
I see the light at the end of the tunnel, but the tunnel keeps getting longer - me
Likes For TejanoTrackie: